[MEBC-Butterfly] emerging milkweed

  • From: "William Kennedy" <wvkennedy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 14:06:40 -0400

Hello,

I am on your e-mail list because of my friendship with Ellen Parker.  I have
raised and tagged Monarchs for a number of years and also have raised black
swallowtails, variegated and Gulf fritillaries, pipevine swallow tails and
several species of giant silk moths (moths over the last 4 years).All this has
grown out of my background in biology.  Last year I planted several kinds of
milkweed to supplement the common species  growingat the edge of my yard and
the dwindling supply in the former wild areas.  Someone recently requested a
report on emerging milkweed plants.  Common, swamp, butterfly weed, and
incarnata are coming up in my butterfly bed.  I also wintered over a pot of two
curassavica plants (the tropical one) in my small solar greenhouse.  These
remained green and are now about to bloom.  I found more eggs laid on these two
plants last summer than any where else - just watched the butterflies stop in
and lay eggs.  I would certainly recommend growing this one, even if you can't
winter it over.  I have yellow and the usual red flowered ones; they bloom
continuously throughout the growing season and are very attractive.  I still
have some seeds.

Virginia Kennedy, Jonesborough