[mea] Re: estimating for Indexing

  • From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 08:31:06 -0500

Hi, Jonah:

I see your question and raise you a few more:

-What tool are you working in to make the index? MS Word, FrameMaker, an
Indexing program (such as Macrex or Cindex)... ?
-If MS Word or Frame, etc., will you use the tool's index feature or make
an index manually?
-What method of indexing are you using? I've used Nancy Mulvaney's and
Chicago's, which are slightly different from each other. I liked
Mulvaney's but haven't checked out her updated version yet.

Here are some resources if that helps any:
http://www.indexers.ca/resources.html.

It took me about 2 hours to index a 100-page user manual last time I did
one in MS Word, plus an hour of testing and troubleshooting. But I'm not
an experienced indexer, so there may have been an easier way.

-Cheri

"Jonah O'Neil" <jonah.oneil@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Please respond to
mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[mea] estimating for Indexing

Hello,

A few weeks ago I posted a question regarding quoting for editorial work,
and received some excellent responses - so thank you very much for that!

My new questions is about Indexing.  I have never created an index for a
client, although I grasp the general concept.

How would one estimate the amount of time creating an index will take?
And what kinds of questions should I ask the client to help me estimate
the amount of time it will take to do the indexing?

Cheers,
Jonah

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation."