[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1744

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:16:18 -0700

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Security on MSN messenger.
           From: "Rakesh Tewary" <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:46:02 +0530
   From: "Rakesh Tewary" <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Security on MSN messenger.

Hello everybody,

Using a P4 200, 512MB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and MSN Messenger (7.5.0299)

For security against malaware I use Avast 4.7 Home, Spybot S&D 1.4,
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1, SpywareBlaster 3.5.1, A-squared 1.6.5 and
Bazooka Scanner 1.13.03. My last chore before shutting down the machine at
night is to update "all" these programmes on a daily basis. I update Avast
as soon as I connect to the net and before opening any programme. The
machine is used personally at home and not connected to any other machine.

Like a lot of other parents, I am now faced with my pre-teens son wanting
to chat using MSN Messenger courtesy natural curiousity and peer pressure!
:-)

Since I have never used MSN Messenger, this is to request for help as to
what settings should be made on this programme in order to totally
maximize security against malaware during the chat sessions.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
Ricky.

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:06:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe

I just hope it is not a rogue program that does the opposite of what it
says it does.

Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  installed and ran the proggie. took forever to run. not something I'd
want to do often. Found PalTalk as does the MS anti spyware program so set
that to ignore. The one cookie it found would be found by Adaware so my
conclusion is that there is no benefit to this program particularly if one
is using the normally recommended programs, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware
blaster and the current MS Windows Defender.

  I'll wait a bit and run it one more time after I have done a scan with
the others and then give it one more try before running the others. If no
benefit, it will be uninstalled.

  MW

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  While reading some news on one of my favorite free sites that does
not list Spyware or Adware I found a new listing for this program.

So far 5 people have given it good reviews. Not unlike Adaware it
has a full version for a cost and a limited version for free to
entice you to purchase the full version.

Just wondering if anyone here has see or tried it on an infected
machine? I did test it on what I figure was a clean machine and of
course the program did not find anyting.

It did seem to work ok but a bit slower than the others. Could be
too I was running it on an 733 with XP.

Ya know it is so hard to trust Spyware programs because of the bad
rap some of these companies give that really are bad news. It is
also hard to trust a program you do not know that starts deleting
things from your machine.

I am just hoping this could turn out to be the next additional tool
we can all add to the rest of our other pile of programs to combat
the not so nice people our there always looking to break our
machines.

The Program
Superantispyware
Link http://tinyurl.com/r9oqs

Place I saw it reviwed
Link http://tinyurl.com/q9uzv

Vince

This 'turn the other cheek' business is all well and good but it's not what
Jesus fought and died for. What we need to do is take the battle to the
Muslim heathens and do unto them before they do unto us. -- Rev. Jerry
Falwell

Carl Rove at his best: http://rboland.dyndns.org/RoveasCrook.jpg

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 22:12:18 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine

Jim, now you can try re-enabling the startup items one at a time to know
which one is the culprit.

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  This is a mult-Posted message: I have been struggling with a problem for
couple of weeks. I wanted to explain what solved the problem. I sill keep
it
brief.

Seantific oh MCH metioned turning off the Windows Firewall as a precaution.
Well my good machine had it turned on so I figured that was not the
problem.
But I went to the one 'bad machine' and removed all the startup items. And
that took care of the problem... at least on that machine. Then I
reinserted
the router into the mix and I was back on 'the air' on that machine. I have
enough experience to know that the other machines may have other problem
that will also need solving... or NOT. :-)  TNX to all who tried to help,
escpcially to Seantific for the idea trigger that  led to a solution. I am
also very glad not to have had to resort to RR help or the Geek Squad. :-)

Jim

This 'turn the other cheek' business is all well and good but it's not what
Jesus fought and died for. What we need to do is take the battle to the
Muslim heathens and do unto them before they do unto us. -- Rev. Jerry
Falwell

Carl Rove at his best: http://rboland.dyndns.org/RoveasCrook.jpg

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch