[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1745

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:26:48 -0700

There are 10 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe
           From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
      2. Links won't work from Outlook
           From: "john  daniels" <grandpa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine
           From: "cade00000" <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Links won't work from Outlook
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. RE: Links won't work from Outlook
           From: "john  daniels" <grandpa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Security on MSN messenger.
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and
query words
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. RE: Links won't work from Outlook
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 09:23:55 -0000
   From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe

I always go here to check on these programs
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#products

I am running it at the moment it does not appear very slow - 26
minutes and has completed the memory checks, the registry and 20,000
files, flnding 13 tracking cookies.  I suppose its the number of files
on your system that is the determining factor as to its worth. It
appears to scan approximately a 1000 files per minute on my system.
I suppose if I have about 200,000 files I wont use it very much.

I have lots of free anti - spyware programs - shame none of them are
perfected to the same standard of anti-virus programs.

Regards

Paris

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, casper
<officialbizniz@...> wrote:

> I just hope it is not a rogue program that does the opposite of
what it says it does.
> <snip>
<snip>

> The Program
> Superantispyware
> Link http://tinyurl.com/r9oqs
>
> Place I saw it reviwed
> Link http://tinyurl.com/q9uzv

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 10:25:39 -0400
   From: "john  daniels" <grandpa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Links won't work from Outlook

Since I got the newest Symantec anti virus on my computer I can no longer
click links from Outlook.  I get a message saying that the operation is
cancelled on this computer.  I can do everything from the browser, Google
and Microsoft and even from Earthlink but not from e-mail.  Can't seem to
find where the problem is but I'm not very computer literate.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Running XP home edition on a Dell 4400 desktop with 1
gig of ram.  Thanks.  John

Message: 3
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 11:37:59 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network fails to Internet on all but one machine

casper,

Jim, now you can try re-enabling the startup items one at a time to know
which one is the culprit.

No, they are all still there. I did not remove them from startup, just
closed them down. When I rebooted with the same items the internet was
still
back. Very strange.

Jim

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 01:14:21 -0000
   From: "cade00000" <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>

Jim, this is Windows we are talking about...hehe. Stranger things have
happened. You probably just reset one of the Startup apps and it or
Windows corrected itself.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jim" <jpurcell@...> wrote:

casper,

"Jim, now you can try re-enabling the startup items one at a time to
know which one is the culprit."

No, they are all still there. I did not remove them from startup, just
closed them down. When I rebooted with the same items the internet was
still back. Very strange.

Jim

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:33:51 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Casper,

> Jim, this is Windows we are talking about...hehe. Stranger things have
> happened. You probably just reset one of the Startup apps and it or
> Windows corrected itself.

But it took over a week for the correction to occur and it seemed to have
happened only after I cleared the existing starup files without removing
them from starup.

Jim

Message: 6
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 19:58:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Links won't work from Outlook

Did you make Outlook your default email application and IE your default
internet browser?

john daniels <grandpa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Since I got the newest Symantec anti virus on my computer I can no
longer click links from Outlook.  I get a message saying that the operation
is cancelled on this computer.  I can do everything from the browser, Google
and Microsoft and even from Earthlink but not from e-mail. Can't seem to
find where the problem is but I'm not very computer literate. Any help
would be appreciated.  Running XP home edition on a Dell 4400 desktop with
1gig of ram.

  John

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 7
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:08:02 -0400
   From: "john  daniels" <grandpa11@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [MCH] Links won't work from Outlook

Did you make Outlook your default email application and IE your default
internet browser?

 Thank you for the reply.  Outlook is my default e--mail and Google is my
default browser.  John

Message: 8
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 20:21:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Security on MSN messenger.

Number #1: Talk to your son. Explain to him the dangers of infecting your
computer with spyware and viruses from complete strangers, the ones he has
never met in person. Also tell him about online sex predators. Explain to
him that if the machine get infected, he will not be able to go online so
he will suffer too.

  Number #2: Create a Limited User account for him. By default, he won't be
able to install anything (which includes accidental installation of spyware
and viruses).

Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello everybody,

Using a P4 200, 512MB RAM, WinXP Pro SP2 and MSN Messenger (7.5.0299)

For security against malaware I use Avast 4.7 Home, Spybot S&D 1.4,
Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1, SpywareBlaster 3.5.1, A-squared 1.6.5 and
Bazooka Scanner 1.13.03. My last chore before shutting down the machine at
night is to update "all" these programmes on a daily basis. I update Avast
as soon as I connect to the net and before opening any programme. The
machine is used personally at home and not connected to any other machine.

Like a lot of other parents, I am now faced with my pre-teens son wanting
to chat using MSN Messenger courtesy natural curiousity and peer pressure!
:-)

Since I have never used MSN Messenger, this is to request for help as to
what settings should be made on this programme in order to totally
maximize security against malaware during the chat sessions.

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
Ricky.

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 9
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:02:16 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and
query words

How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and query words

The Microsoft Knowledge Base has more than 150,000 articles. These articles
were created by thousands of support professionals who have resolved issues
for Microsoft customers. The Microsoft Knowledge Base is regularly updated,
expanded, and refined to help to make sure that you have access to the very
latest information.
To quickly find an article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base, you can search
by using keywords and query words. This article lists keywords and query
words that you can use in your searches. Using the keywords and query words
that are listed in one article may help find other articles that have
similar content.

The MSKB Search can be found here:

This 'turn the other cheek' business is all well and good but it's not what
Jesus fought and died for. What we need to do is take the battle to the
Muslim heathens and do unto them before they do unto us. -- Rev. Jerry
Falwell

Carl Rove at his best: http://rboland.dyndns.org/RoveasCrook.jpg

Message: 10
   Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:02:49 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 10:08 PM 4/29/2006, you wrote:
>Subject: Re: [MCH] Links won't work from Outlook
>

>Did you make Outlook your default email application and IE your default
>internet browser?
>

>  Thank you for the reply.  Outlook is my default e--mail and Google is my
>default browser.  John

Google doesn't make a web browser.  It might be your "home page" in
your browser -- but what is your browser?

Is your default web browser Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, or Netscape?

If you are running XP SP2 and Outlook 2003 Service Pack 2, you have
to change some settings.  Here's a description on my web site:
http://www.terryscomputertips.com/computers/turn-on-email-links-in-outlook-2003.php

The problem is that in Outlook 2003's SP2, Microsoft installed some
anti-phishing protection in a very heavy-handed manner.

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA

 see the Yahoo home page
See the self help page here