[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1743

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 10:27:00 -0700

There are 7 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Help please
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Help please
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Help please
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Help please
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Help please
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 03:23:33 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

Wyatt and Jim,

I've been reading some of this message exchange, and I want to add my
2-cents worth:
Regarding Sony, HP, and Gateway not supplying disks with a new computer....

I can't comment on  Sony or Gateway since I've never bought either of
those, but I have an HP which I purchased last August (2005), so I consider
that a recent purchase.  It came with multiple CD's: an OEM Windows XP SP2,
and another CD which was an image-CD of the hard drive.  There may have
been some additional CD's in the box.  The HP did NOT have a
restore-partition.

Perhaps there are differences between different models of computer shipped
by a given mfg at the same time i.e. Acme computers left hand ships
computers with CD's while Acme computers right hand ships computers with
restore-partitions and no CD?

Steve

At 03:29 PM 4/25/2006, you wrote:
>Wyatt,
>

> > The last three Dells I've bought came with an OS CD that was just an OEM
> > version of Windows with a Dell design.  You can install just the OS with
> > that.
>

> > Then they come with another couple disks that have the drivers.
>
>By then do you mean later in time, or in addition to the XP disk?
>Sony, HP and Gateway don't supply disks with the 'puter, just the
partition.
>But you can send for them, like I did when I misplaced the ones I had
>created and clobbered my installation.
>
> > The Dell manuals are okay.  What they give that I like better is a list
> > of the actual hardware in the machine.
>
>You can get that with System Infomation or third party programs.
>

> > I'd rather have that than the
> > manual anyday, because if I have the name, model number, and type of
> > hardware, I can get the manual.  They're all online.
>
>Most of my recent machines have an on line manual that is identical to the
>paper one.
>
>Jim

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:20:51 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Wyatt,

> I'm just kinda old fashioned and I like my Windows disk to be a real
> Windows disk.

I am old fashioned too and like having a real windows disk. I have three of
them, but I don't use them very often because I want the bundled programs.
On one machine that includes Photoshop SE. And my newest machine includes
the latest version of Nero. Can't beat that.

Actually I have a better solution to running the factory rescue or
installing XP from scratch. I uave a CD created by Norton Ghost. After I
run
the rescue disk and install my own apps and remove the junk, I boot with
the
Ghost disk and create a clone of the C partition. I clone it to a partition
of the same size at the end of the drive. After I make changes like install
new software or significant configuration changes, I reclone the C drive.
When things go bad and I know of no fixes I just clone the C drive copy
back
to C. Now I'm back to a good copy of C.

> I only *really* care about the OS and the drivers.  I've not been
> impressed
> with any of the manufacturer's "bundles."

Sometimes they are good stuff, sometimes not. My first Sony had bundled
sofware that I was able to copy off the disk and install anywhere. It did
not give me the 'this software may not be installed on this computer'
message.

> Ideally, though, I'd like them to give me the OS disk

But you only need one. I ended up with three of them but that was before I
got to know the activate process. Right now I own three PCs with OEM disks
and one whcich I bought without an OS because I had XP disks.

Jim

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:31:49 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Steve,

> I have an HP which I purchased last August (2005),.... It came with
> multiple CD's: an OEM Windows XP SP2,

Wow, maybe HP has  back tracked. My brothers HP, about three years ago, had
the recover partition, but also the 'create a rescue disl' option, And my
Gateway, a few months old, also came with a recover partition.

> and another CD which was an image-CD of the hard drive.

I purchased a recover disk set from Sony for my Most recent Sony and my
brother got HP to send him one. I think my Sony cost about $25, I think my
brothers was free before the warranty ran out.

>  The HP did NOT have a restore-partition.

Yes, that would have made no sense.  Also, to anyone reading this message:
Be sure to create a recover disk(s) if you did not get any. On rare
occasion
the recover partition can get clobbered and if you then have an HD failure
you might have to wait out the mfg. sending you a recover disk.. OH,
another
bit of information. Of your ocmputer came with a DVD burner, you may have
the option to burn a recover DVD. Actually my machine has you burn a
bootable CD and a recover DVD. I don't know whter that means that a DVD is
not bootabke. OR maybe the DVD was so loaded that there was no room for the
boot information. [That does seem unlikely]

> Perhaps there are differences between different models of computer shipped

More likely a change in policy.

Jim

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 17:53:01 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

That's indeed good news.  Like I said, Dell is my main choice and the
last HP was a little over a year ago.  It would be a welcome change.

On or about 4/27/2006 4:23 AM, the one known as Steve Tabler was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Wyatt and Jim,
>
> I've been reading some of this message exchange, and I want to add my
> 2-cents worth:
> Regarding Sony, HP, and Gateway not supplying disks with a new
computer....

> I can't comment on  Sony or Gateway since I've never bought either of
> those, but I have an HP which I purchased last August (2005), so I
consider
> that a recent purchase.  It came with multiple CD's: an OEM Windows XP
SP2,
> and another CD which was an image-CD of the hard drive.  There may have
> been some additional CD's in the box.  The HP did NOT have a
restore-partition.

> Perhaps there are differences between different models of computer
shipped
> by a given mfg at the same time i.e. Acme computers left hand ships
> computers with CD's while Acme computers right hand ships computers with
> restore-partitions and no CD?
>
> Steve
>
> At 03:29 PM 4/25/2006, you wrote:
>> Wyatt,
>>

>>> The last three Dells I've bought came with an OS CD that was just an OEM
>>> version of Windows with a Dell design.  You can install just the OS with
>>> that.
>>
>>> Then they come with another couple disks that have the drivers.
>> By then do you mean later in time, or in addition to the XP disk?
>> Sony, HP and Gateway don't supply disks with the 'puter, just the
partition.
>> But you can send for them, like I did when I misplaced the ones I had
>> created and clobbered my installation.
>>
>>> The Dell manuals are okay.  What they give that I like better is a list
>>> of the actual hardware in the machine.
>> You can get that with System Infomation or third party programs.
>>

>>> I'd rather have that than the
>>> manual anyday, because if I have the name, model number, and type of
>>> hardware, I can get the manual.  They're all online.
>> Most of my recent machines have an on line manual that is identical to
the
>> paper one.
>>
>> Jim

Message: 5
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 16:04:32 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

At 11:31 AM 4/27/2006, you wrote:
>Steve,
>
> > I have an HP which I purchased last August (2005),.... It came with
> > multiple CD's: an OEM Windows XP SP2,
>
>Wow, maybe HP has  back tracked. My brothers HP, about three years ago, had
>the recover partition, but also the 'create a rescue disl' option, And my
>Gateway, a few months old, also came with a recover partition.
>
> > and another CD which was an image-CD of the hard drive.
>
>I purchased a recover disk set from Sony for my Most recent Sony and my
>brother got HP to send him one. I think my Sony cost about $25, I think my
>brothers was free before the warranty ran out.
>
> >  The HP did NOT have a restore-partition.
>
>Yes, that would have made no sense.  Also, to anyone reading this message:
>Be sure to create a recover disk(s) if you did not get any. On rare
occasion
>the recover partition can get clobbered and if you then have an HD failure
>you might have to wait out the mfg. sending you a recover disk.. OH,
another
>bit of information. Of your ocmputer came with a DVD burner, you may have
>the option to burn a recover DVD. Actually my machine has you burn a
>bootable CD and a recover DVD. I don't know whter that means that a DVD is
>not bootabke. OR maybe the DVD was so loaded that there was no room for the
>boot information. [That does seem unlikely]
>
> > Perhaps there are differences between different models of computer
shipped

>More likely a change in policy.
>
>Jim

Jim,

It think it is a policy change like you say.  Another possibility might be
that I specified XP Professional rather than XP Home when I ordered the
system, and maybe the upgrade means I get the disks.

One time I bought a TI laptop (now Acer) from CompUSA.  It came with
Windows 95, so you can guess that's been awhile :)  Anyway, I remember that
when you first booted the system that a program ran, stating it would only
let you complete the operation once, and that was to make a set of Windows
95 floppies.  So, I didn't have that many floppies, and went out and bought
a 100-pack.  The computer came with labels for them :)  Before I ran their
program, though, I took a precaution:  I had a new parallel-port zip
drive.  So I booted the laptop from a floppy and transferred the contents
of the hard drive to a single zip disk as a backup.  Then I made the floppy
set.

Steve

Message: 6
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:34:20 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve et al:

I bought an HP last December. (Chose it  because it
was very well equipped and low priced and have had
another for several years that gave me no trouble.)

It had the restore program in an 8 GB D: partition.
Neglected to make a backup, so when Partition Magic
for some strange reason, deleted D:, I had to call HP.

They sent me (at no charge, still under warranty) 2
DVDs and a supplemental Cd for the "Destructive"
restore operation.  It wiped my C: & D: (as well as
two other data partitions I had added).  It
reinstalled the D: restore partition and installed XP
and all the apps on C: that came bundled.  Did a neat
job---only took FIVE HOURS!.

The telephone tech support said that if everything was
in good shape, I could do a "non-destructive" restore.
 Apparently, it saves all the files in My documents,
but nothing else.

OH for the good old days when you got a Windows
installation Cd with its repair capability.

Estavi

--- Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wyatt and Jim,
>
> I've been reading some of this message exchange, and
> I want to add my
> 2-cents worth:
> Regarding Sony, HP, and Gateway not supplying disks
> with a new computer....
>
> I can't comment on  Sony or Gateway since I've never
> bought either of
> those, but I have an HP which I purchased last
> August (2005), so I consider
> that a recent purchase.  It came with multiple CD's:
> an OEM Windows XP SP2,
> and another CD which was an image-CD of the hard
> drive.  There may have
> been some additional CD's in the box.  The HP did
> NOT have a restore-partition.
>
> Perhaps there are differences between different
> models of computer shipped
> by a given mfg at the same time i.e. Acme computers
> left hand ships
> computers with CD's while Acme computers right hand
> ships computers with
> restore-partitions and no CD?
>
> Steve

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 02:15:42 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>

I had my 4 systems custom built to avoid being in the grasp of some company.
..--Phyllis

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here