[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1742

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 12:58:59 -0700

           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: startup
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: How to Play AVIs
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 09:56:45 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe

So I was correct in saying it runs slow.

Was just hoping that this might find somethings the others did not
but like you I have not conclusion yet.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Murray White
<phymur@...> wrote:

> installed and ran the proggie. took forever to run. not something
I'd want to do often. Found PalTalk as does the MS anti spyware
program so set that to ignore. The one cookie it found would be
found by Adaware so my conclusion is that there is no benefit to
this program particularly if one is using the normally recommended
programs, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware blaster and the current MS
Windows Defender.

>   I'll wait a bit and run it one more time after I have done a
scan with the others and then give it one more try before running
the others. If no benefit, it will be uninstalled.

Truncated-----

> The Program
> Superantispyware
> Link http://tinyurl.com/r9oqs
>
> Place I saw it reviwed
> Link http://tinyurl.com/q9uzv
>
> Vince

Message: 2
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:07:31 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try a-squared.

  Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    While reading some news on one of my favorite free sites that does
  not list Spyware or Adware I found a new listing for this program.

  So far 5 people have given it good reviews. Not unlike Adaware it
  has a full version for a cost and a limited version for free to
  entice you to purchase the full version.

  Just wondering if anyone here has see or tried it on an infected
  machine? I did test it on what I figure was a clean machine and of
  course the program did not find anyting.

  It did seem to work ok but a bit slower than the others. Could be
  too I was running it on an 733 with XP.

  Ya know it is so hard to trust Spyware programs because of the bad
  rap some of these companies give that really are bad news. It is
  also hard to trust a program you do not know that starts deleting
  things from your machine.

  I am just hoping this could turn out to be the next additional tool
  we can all add to the rest of our other pile of programs to combat
  the not so nice people our there always looking to break our
  machines.

  The Program
  Superantispyware
  Link http://tinyurl.com/r9oqs

  Place I saw it reviwed
  Link http://tinyurl.com/q9uzv

  Vince

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Service.

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:31:04 -0000
   From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Startup Items

MyDell Laptop Insp5100 computer runs so slowly. I know I do not have a
virus. Every box is checked in startup and I want to know if
unchecking boxes in the
startup process will just not start them automatically or would it not
allow them to ever be started?

Thanks Group,  Maggie

Message: 4
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:29:38 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

>> People here either aren't reading what I say, or they don't believe it.

Well when something goes against experience it seems sensible to mistrust
it
without more evidence. In fact I follow this strategy all the time when I'm
on the internet. A fact is only a fact when  supported by evidence or
universal acceptance. And sometimes even tha latter ceases to confirm
'facts'. Repeat after me, 'the earth is flat.' :-) Don't take offecnse, I
am
not challanging anyone, just chattering. :-)

Jim

Message: 5
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:55:04 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Startup Items

what o/s? how much RAM? how many items in msconfig? do you use an AV
scanner and is it updated and run frequently? do you have a firewall? what
spyware cleaners are you using?

  Lots of things may cause slow running computer. Items unchecked in
msconfig only stop them from running at bootup and can be rechecked to
start at anytime. Also check the startup folder on the startmenu>programs.

  Do you use p2p software? check in add/remove programs for unwanted or
unused programs and remove.

  Some proprietary computers install stuff that you don't need on the
computer so check those out.

  MW

margek413 <margek413@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  MyDell Laptop Insp5100 computer runs so slowly. I know I do not have a
virus. Every box is checked in startup and I want to know if
unchecking boxes in the
startup process will just not start them automatically or would it not
allow them to ever be started?

Thanks Group, Maggie

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 6
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:03:05 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Howard, I have a squared and Ewido and neither do I much care for. Long
time scanning and with the 4 majors I use and frankly I'm not totally
convinced of the value of Windows Defender after the first scan, other
scans often just find false positives such as PalTalk.

  MW

  Try a-squared.

   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:26:11 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Wayatt,

> No Dell I've ever bought (so far) has had restore disks or a
> hidden partition.  They've all come with the OS disk, the driver
> disk(s), and the disks for the bundled software.

Maybe they are attuned with their user base. I have had many Sony machines,
not because they are so great but when I get the 'buy a new computer' bug,
Sony's are there. My first ones came with rescue disks but the fieles were
easy to figure out and the install program was maybe a batch program. The
file names were cryptic so I clicked on each to find out what it was, then
renamed it. And none was linked to my machine so that I could not use it on
a later one. Pretty neat, I used some of those for years.

Then Sony got smart and prevented users from installing programs from the
rescue disks on other machines. I also use quite a few shareware programs,
and I have copied some of my program install disks to the hard drive now
that they are so large. One of these is MS Desktop dictionary. I often
check
to see if my definition of a work is even close to the accepted one(s).

Wow, I really got 'windy' didn't I.

Jim

Message: 8
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 11:31:53 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Help please

Mark,

> People here either aren't reading what I say, or they don't believe it.

Sometimes the terms people use are the confusing factor. And given the wide
range of both technical knowledge and language skills it behooves us not to
ASS U ME. :-)

Jim

Message: 9
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:30:18 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

margek413,

> Every box is checked in startup and I want to know if
> unchecking boxes in the
> startup process will just not start them automatically or would it not
> allow them to ever be started?

Are you talking about the items in msconfig or the startup folder in 'all
programs'. I am assuming the former. In most cases you can uncheck items
without any problems. Many program install crap in the startup locations.
Unchecking them will stop them from ever loading on startup unless you
recheck them.

You probably don't want to uncheck anything with a file name that looks
like
your AV program, they are probably necessary to keep the program checking,
especially for eamail.

The startup issue is one of the most common ones mentioned in messages to
help sites. I have a couple of files I have found usefull when trying to
solve perceived startup problems. One is IHMO more cmplete than msconfig
startup. It is called startupCPL. You can google for it, which will
guarantee that you get the most recent version. However, The information
below lists a yahoo group that has these two files The .zip file is
actually
two file sets, both htm. They attempt to list most of the files commonly
found by msconfig or startupCPL. and which can safely be unchecked, and
which NOT. You will of course have to join the group in question of course.
I have joined many groups for the infomration AND the files. :-)

Jim

Startup 2 files: startupCPL.exe, Startup.zip
Found on: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/A-1-Computer_Tech/files/

Message: 10
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:15:12 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A good place that explains how to use MSCONFIG is
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

About half-way down the page is this link
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
This lists all startup applications and tells if they are necessary or not.

Peter

> Every box is checked in startup and I want to know if
> unchecking boxes in the
> startup process will just not start them automatically or would it not
> allow them to ever be started?

Are you talking about the items in msconfig or the startup folder in 'all
programs'. I am assuming the former. In most cases you can uncheck items
without any problems. Many program install crap in the startup locations.
Unchecking them will stop them from ever loading on startup unless you
recheck them.

You probably don't want to uncheck anything with a file name that looks like
your AV program, they are probably necessary to keep the program checking,
especially for eamail.

The startup issue is one of the most common ones mentioned in messages to
help sites. I have a couple of files I have found usefull when trying to
solve perceived startup problems. One is IHMO more cmplete than msconfig
startup. It is called startupCPL. You can google for it, which will
guarantee that you get the most recent version. However, The information
below lists a yahoo group that has these two files The .zip file is actually
two file sets, both htm. They attempt to list most of the files commonly
found by msconfig or startupCPL. and which can safely be unchecked, and
which NOT. You will of course have to join the group in question of course.
I have joined many groups for the infomration AND the files. :-)

Jim

Startup 2 files: startupCPL.exe, Startup.zip
Found on: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/A-1-Computer_Tech/files/

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 11
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:44:16 -0700
   From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
Subject: How to Play AVIs

I recently had to replace a failed mother board, which required reloading
Windows XP Pro. After two weeks of reinstalling most of my ancillary
applications, I'm able to function, for the most part.

There is a remaining problem, which is that I can no longer view AVIs, in
Media Player 10. All I get is the sound.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,

Jerry Flintrop

Message: 12
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:51:49 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to Play AVIs

It sounds like you don't have the correct codecs.

These are good ones.

http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Dennis Jenkins

> I recently had to replace a failed mother board, which required reloading
> Windows XP Pro. After two weeks of reinstalling most of my ancillary
> applications, I'm able to function, for the most part.
>
> There is a remaining problem, which is that I can no longer view AVIs, in
> Media Player 10. All I get is the sound.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jerry Flintrop

Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:10:05 -0000
   From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: startup

Murray, using windowsXP and have 384ram. Run AV program mcafee,is this
the same as you asked "do I run av scanner?"
Maggie

Message: 14
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:12:41 -0000
   From: "margek413" <margek413@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Jim, will give it a try.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jim" <jpurcell@...> wrote:

> margek413,
>
> > Every box is checked in startup and I want to know if
> > unchecking boxes in the
> > startup process will just not start them automatically or would it not
> > allow them to ever be started?
>
> Are you talking about the items in msconfig or the startup folder in
'all
> programs'. I am assuming the former. In most cases you can uncheck
items
> without any problems. Many program install crap in the startup
locations.
> Unchecking them will stop them from ever loading on startup unless you
> recheck them.
>
> You probably don't want to uncheck anything with a file name that
looks like
> your AV program, they are probably necessary to keep the program
checking,
> especially for eamail.
>
> The startup issue is one of the most common ones mentioned in
messages to
> help sites. I have a couple of files I have found usefull when
trying to
> solve perceived startup problems. One is IHMO more cmplete than
msconfig
> startup. It is called startupCPL. You can google for it, which will
> guarantee that you get the most recent version. However, The
information
> below lists a yahoo group that has these two files The .zip file is
actually
> two file sets, both htm. They attempt to list most of the files
commonly
> found by msconfig or startupCPL. and which can safely be unchecked, and
> which NOT. You will of course have to join the group in question of
course.
> I have joined many groups for the infomration AND the files. :-)
>
> Jim
>
> Startup 2 files: startupCPL.exe, Startup.zip
> Found on: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/A-1-Computer_Tech/files/

Message: 15
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:35:41 -0700
   From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>

Dennis,

Thanks for the quick reply. Having just returned from that site, my head is
spinning. Of all the Codecs listed there, which do I need to download and
install?

Jerry Flintrop

> I recently had to replace a failed mother board, which required reloading
> Windows XP Pro. After two weeks of reinstalling most of my ancillary
> applications, I'm able to function, for the most part.
>
> There is a remaining problem, which is that I can no longer view AVIs, in
> Media Player 10. All I get is the sound.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> TIA,
>
> Jerry Flintrop

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 16
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:38:29 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

I'd still rather have the actual disks and not have to do all that, but,
if Sony works for you, then you should stay with it.  I'm just kinda old
fashioned and I like my Windows disk to be a real Windows disk.  I only
*really* care about the OS and the drivers.  I've not been impressed
with any of the manufacturer's "bundles."  Dell did give me Photoshop,
which was cool.  Ideally, though, I'd like them to give me the OS disk
and the drivers disk and let me buy my own "bundle."  It would save me a
lot of time.

On or about 4/26/2006 11:26 AM, the one known as Jim was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Wayatt,
>
>> No Dell I've ever bought (so far) has had restore disks or a
>> hidden partition.  They've all come with the OS disk, the driver
>> disk(s), and the disks for the bundled software.
>
> Maybe they are attuned with their user base. I have had many Sony
machines,
> not because they are so great but when I get the 'buy a new computer'
bug,
> Sony's are there. My first ones came with rescue disks but the fieles
were
> easy to figure out and the install program was maybe a batch program. The
> file names were cryptic so I clicked on each to find out what it was,
then
> renamed it. And none was linked to my machine so that I could not use it
on
> a later one. Pretty neat, I used some of those for years.
>
> Then Sony got smart and prevented users from installing programs from the
> rescue disks on other machines. I also use quite a few shareware
programs,
> and I have copied some of my program install disks to the hard drive now
> that they are so large. One of these is MS Desktop dictionary. I often
check
> to see if my definition of a work is even close to the accepted one(s).
>
> Wow, I really got 'windy' didn't I.
>
> Jim

Message: 17
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:57:46 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: startup

marge--unfortunately without the original post or some of it included, I
forget exactly what the original problem was. Not only am I a mod in CHAD
but I help here and other lists and spend a lot of time in PalTalk PC Tech
as admin so I tend to have a lot of problems thoroughout the day.

  I suspect you are trying to speed the bootup or get the pc to work more
quickly.

  McAffee is ok but is is a hog of the system but if you have paid for it
and are happy to pay for it that is ok. If you ever decide not to have to
pay, there are a few good freeware AV scanners -- AVG, Avast, or Anti Vir.

  You should also be using some antispyware programs.

  Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware and most importantly Spyware blaster.
Some folks also like and use Windows Defender. All are freeware and can be
found easily with a www.google.com  search. A search will also find links
to sites that give some tutorials on those programs.

  Hopefully you are at least using SP2 and the firewall by MS. If no please
do so or make use of a third party firewall such as Zone Alarm, Outpost, or
Comodo (the last one I had some problems with but others use it
successfully)

  Now we also suggest that you look into the Startup folder on the start
menu>all programs and remove any icons there of programs you don't have to
have running all the time or starting at boot. If you had more RAM, then
I'd not be overly concerned. However because you are using less that 512 MB
of RAM, you may want to clean things up a bit.

  Now, other programs that start at bootup can be found  by WinKey + R to
open the run command. copy and paste  msconfig  . next click next and a
window will open and then look to the last tab--startup and click on it.

  There will be a long list of things that start when you boot the system.

  go to this link  http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php?  and put the
name of each program listed there one at a time into the "search" field and
you will learn if the program is needed, opotional or unnecessary.

  Keep the computer clean with a Defrag-- I use Diskeeper Lite V9. I use it
every few days and at the same time I update and run the spyware cleaners.
I also then make use of a couple of other programs.

  1. CCleaner. this will be used to clean temp files etc. you can look at
each item and uncheck those that you don't want cleaner to remove from the
system. For example, you DON'T want to remove the prefetch folder items.
After doing the cleanup, you can also "check for issues" and clean those.
If the items are innocuous I don't backup but for awhile until you learn
more about the items, select to do a backup.

  Dont' forget, anytime you have to, you have XP system restore available

  2. RegSeeker -- here the only thing you need to do is to a registry
cleanup. When you run this the first time it will find lots of stuff. make
sure the "backup" box is checked.

  Clean and then re run the program until it does not find anything. Most
of the things will relate to non valid paths but if there is something you
don't wish to delete, just deselect it. once you have decided what you want
removed, R click anyone and select "delete"

  If you follow these steps frequently, you will be able to keep your
system at an optimal performance.

  At some point, you can check the Task Manager and see what running
processes you have and how many. You can check the CPU usage and also the
commit charge. These are things we can discuss further as there is no point
in drowning you in info.

  If you have problems with doing downloads or installing of programs or
are unsure of the procedure, let me know as there is a site I can post that
has a tutorial on how to do that also.

  I can't recall if I ever gave the info to Sean for his files.

  Hopefully some of this info is of value.

  MW

margek413 <margek413@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Murray, using windowsXP and have 384ram. Run AV program mcafee,is this
the same as you asked "do I run av scanner?"
Maggie

Message: 18
   Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:24:12 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>

Any of the codecs are good.    The more complete ones (bigger) are generally
the ones I chose.  There is a lot of stuff there that is not a codec
though.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/