[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1741

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:34:34 -0700

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Help please
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Help please
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:12:51 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

On or about 4/25/2006 9:41 PM, the one known as Jim was rumoured to have
uttered...
> Wayatt,
>
>> No, I mean with the computer.  The last one had separate disks for each
>> of the bundled softwares, driver disks, and the XP OEM disk.
>
> That must have been awhile. I can't recall ever getting an OS disk since
XP
> came out.
> And it has been three years I think since rescue disks were always
included
> with computers.

I bought my last Dell a little less than a year ago...maybe five months
now?  No Dell I've ever bought (so far) has had restore disks or a
hidden partition.  They've all come with the OS disk, the driver
disk(s), and the disks for the bundled software.  HP, Compaq, and
Emachines come with the restore disks and/or a hidden partition.  Like I
said, I don't like Gateway, so I don't keep up with them.

>> I don't buy Gateway.  I don't like them.
>
> I really liked my first Gateway, I love the case, sliders instead of
scres
> to hold the drives instead of screws. :-)

I haven't bought a Gateway in more than five years.  The last one I
worked on had the same problem that originally turned me off - the
hardware was very substandard.

> Jim

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:13:53 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, you did.  :)  I was agreeing with you.

On or about 4/25/2006 10:27 PM, the one known as Mark Mucher was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Didn't I say that it was just like an OEM XP CD?
>
> People here either aren't reading what I say, or they don't believe it.
>
> Mark
>

>   _____

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 01:04:01 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Free Spyware Program Maybe

installed and ran the proggie. took forever to run. not something I'd want
to do often. Found PalTalk as does the MS anti spyware program so set that
to ignore. The one cookie it found would be found by Adaware so my
conclusion is that there is no benefit to this program particularly if one
is using the normally recommended programs, Spybot, Adaware, Spyware
blaster and the current MS Windows Defender.

  I'll wait a bit and run it one more time after I have done a scan with
the others and then give it one more try before running the others. If no
benefit, it will be uninstalled.

  MW

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  While reading some news on one of my favorite free sites that does
not list Spyware or Adware I found a new listing for this program.

So far 5 people have given it good reviews. Not unlike Adaware it
has a full version for a cost and a limited version for free to
entice you to purchase the full version.

Just wondering if anyone here has see or tried it on an infected
machine? I did test it on what I figure was a clean machine and of
course the program did not find anyting.

It did seem to work ok but a bit slower than the others. Could be
too I was running it on an 733 with XP.

Ya know it is so hard to trust Spyware programs because of the bad
rap some of these companies give that really are bad news. It is
also hard to trust a program you do not know that starts deleting
things from your machine.

I am just hoping this could turn out to be the next additional tool
we can all add to the rest of our other pile of programs to combat
the not so nice people our there always looking to break our
machines.

The Program
Superantispyware
Link http://tinyurl.com/r9oqs