[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1736

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:26:50 -0700

There are 13 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Real player question
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Help please
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: New Member
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:00:30 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Help please

It prob won`t cuz your missing or deleted system files like that
shell32dll.\
You need to do a brand new restore from disks.
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 00:03:04 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I`m a bit confused.You have an operating system Cd and a reinstallation CD?
Use the operating sytem CD.Sorry,you`ll loose all your data,.but it can`t
be helped.
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:29:46 +0930
   From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>

The files are not missing, she has minor logical filesystem corruption,
preventing the file system from finding the system files required. A chkdsk
will fix it.

On 24/04/06, Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It prob won`t cuz your missing or deleted system files like that
> shell32dll.\
> You need to do a brand new restore from disks.

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Real player question

Do you have any antipopup installed? Make sure your Privacy is set to
Medium also.

  Choose 'change' to change the settings for the MIME-type that is used to
send this file:
  audio/x-pn-realaudio
  Add 'rm' to the list of extensions in the top-right box.
Select 'use default application' (instead of 'show download dialog').
The path to the Real Player exe shows here, so I know Real Player is the
registered application in Windows for this type of files.
Check the box for 'pass URL directly to application'.
  Also check the file-association in Real Player Preferences (settings).
  In XP, you can launch Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>File Types
tab.
  Easier way:
Click Start>RUN> type CMD>type the following in new Window:
assoc [ .ext[=[ FileType]]]
Set that Media Player or Real Player (your pick) to be the one that Web
Pages use.

  I think in Real Player settings, you can go to : View>Preferences>Upgrade
tab
Try to investigate what "Re-associate" & "Auto-Restore Settings" buttons
do, then remove or checkmarks as needed.

  What other media players do you have installed? QuickTime? Winamp?

  Do you know which Win updates were installed recently? Perhaps uninstall
them one at a time, reboot each time, and see how EACH uninstall affect the
problem.

  When you rightclick the video links, you have to go to Properties to see
the link's address.

  Also, there are antispyware that even if you disable them, their
protection is still in place since some of them work in the registry level.
Even if you uninstall some of these antispyware, with their protection in
place, you won't be able to get rid of their protection without using the
software itself and undoing their protective features.

  Are you using a router? Are you using multiple computers and are they
networked? Are you logged in as administrator or just Limited User?

  You might also try a reinstall of the updated Windows Media Player, this
time making sure that all antivirus programs are totally disabled before
installing to avoid corrupting the installation. I'd rather leave that info
up to the WMP gurus in this group. Windows Media Player 11 is coming. A
version of it has been announced for Windows XP. No dates have been
published.

Is your JAVA working? If you have it already, you may want to update it and
uninstall what you have. Go to Java.com

vitoscotti <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Temporarily disabled spyware, put sites in trusted section. When I
rightclick scopes doesn't show. Still no luck with links .Wonder if
it has to do with Windows update .That and the problem seem to
coincide.Before last Windows update everything worked perfect for 2
wks.

                            ;

                                                     &
nbsp;

         ;

casper <officialbizniz@...> wrote:
If you rightclick all the video links, do they all start with
http://scopes.real.com
Try adding that to the Trusted Site list in your IE. Let us know
what results after you make that adjustment.
It also seems from what you are telling us that your antispyware
software may be linked to your problem. Perhaps they think that the
site you are having a problem with is not trustworthy enough or
maybe notorious for spreading adware or spyware. I know I do not
like real player and I do not like any of their products becoz of
what they used to do, install spyware. Perhaps they no longer do
that but I just do not trust companies like that to change their
spots overnight.

  vitoscotti <vitoscotti@...> wrote:
--- casper <officialbizniz@> wrote:
Is the RealPlayer the problem here or Internet browser. You
> mentioned "can't be found page pops in". Are you saying that you
are getting "The page cannot be found." error message when you click
on those video links at the page you posted? Can you replicate the
> problem in Opera or Firefox?
> Check your file associations:  In Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder
> Options>File Types. Look for the Real Player entries.
> *If* you disable you're firewall (20 seconds won't hurt) do you
> still have the problem? You don't need to disable your, just punch
> holes in it for certain protocols.
> http://tinyurl.com/jzgkp
> Can you post the exact error message you are getting when you click the
Real video links?

  vitoscotti <vitoscotti@> wrote:
Hello this is my first post.I bought my first computer in
Sept.2005. I've been picking some knowledge up here & there as I go
along. Still pretty much a novice. One problem I haven't been able
to solve is with my realplayer at
http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm . This site worked
fine  the first 2 months then all of a sudden when I clicked the
audio or video links they can't be found page pops in.Maybe 6 or 7
of the links work. My realplayer works fine everywhere else but
here. I called the site and they said everything is ok on their end.
Friends and people on other groups say they have no problems.Ive
uninstalled & installed realplayer with no results.Ive gone into the
tools>properties on real player to adjust how the realplayer reads a
page with no results. Then all of a sudden 2 weeks ago the site
starts working fine. Then after a windows or webroot spysweeper
update the links stopped working again. It's got to have something
to do with the windows or  spysweeper update,but Im not sure how to attack
the problem.I do
have a firewall but I acquired it much after the problem began.

>   >
> Here's the page that appears when I click the audio/video links
>   The page cannot be displayed
>   The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web
site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need
to adjust your browser settings.

Please try the following:
Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that
it is spelled correctly.
To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings.
The settings should match those provided by your local area network
> (LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
> See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You
can set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically
> discover network connection settings (if your network
administrator has enabled this setting).
> Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
> On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
> Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
> Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help
menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength
> security you have installed.
> If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security
> settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
> Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security
> section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
> Click the  Back button to try another link.

  Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Still doesn't work with firewall disabled .Stopped working
recently when windows or spyware updated.On my tools on the top left of my
screen there isn't a folder option but a internet option that
leads to a temporary files choice.Is that where I should look into ? I only
have IE.Thanks for your concern & patience.

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:40:21 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Chkdsk might work.
http://tinyurl.com/qopyc

Arron Cusimano <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  The files are not missing, she has minor logical filesystem corruption,
preventing the file system from finding the system files required. A chkdsk
will fix it.

On 24/04/06, Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It prob won`t cuz your missing or deleted system files like that
> shell32dll.\
> You need to do a brand new restore from disks.

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Excellent suggestions, Arron!

Arron Cusimano <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Do not follow Jim's advice to format you do not not need to format, this
will wipe the data you need.

You need to enable your computer to boot from CD. Jim provided some good
advice on this. Another option is that on some laptops if you hold down the
"C" button during bootup it will start from CD.

option 1:
boot into safemode with command prompt. run "chkdsk c: /f"  (without
quotes). when that has finished press ctl-alt-del, task manager will pop up,
choose shutdown -> restart.

option 2:
I provided a link to a web site (i did not mean drive to the shops, that is
what the link is for)
( try http://www.serverninjas.com/ubcd4winfiles/UBCD4WinV26.exe )
in my earlier post that enables you to download a file which you can burn to
CD, you can then boot from that CD to rescue your system. This CD contains a
windows setup that runs totally off CD, if you manage to boot it up, go to
the menu and choose command prompt. Then in the prompt type "chkdsk c: /f"
without the quotes. this will fix your problem, i have done this many times,
with exactly your problem.

option 3:
if you have a windows xp install disk (not a Dell recover disk, which usally
just wipe your system and restore a disk image), boot from it, press R to
enter the recovery console, then type "chkdsk c: /p" (note this is different
to the above command).

option 4:
just wipe the thing and reinstall, or take it to your local tech if you want
your data. but trust me you do not need to wipe it to make it work, or
recover your files.

On 24/04/06, Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Melody,
>

> >I was restoring to previous day, laptop turned off in middle of restoring
>
> Best not to do anything like that on battery. But you should have been
> able
> to restart without such a disaster.
>
> Anyway, follow my instructions in my previous message. You have to boot
> with
> the XP CD and that will only happen if the machine is configured to boot
> from a CD. Do not choose any option other than to reformat the C
> partition.
>

> Jim

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:45:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

Lots of good tech gurus here. WOW! I'm glad I'm in this group :)

Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Melody,
I suggest that you take it to your local computer shop.  It is
possible, if you really have an OS CDROM and not a "Restore
CD",  that the shop can boot the CD, go into a "repair mode" and
resolve the problem.

If you have a friend who is a super computer repair guru, you can
call him or her.  You should expect that they do this as a side
business, not as "free for friends" work.

The process is not straight forward and there are a lot of variations
(if this, I need to do that...) that are only learned from experience
and actually having hands on the malfunctioning machine.

Regarding battery use -- you learned (I hope) never to do critical
system things on battery power.  Once your laptop is up and running,
see what happens when you have it plugged in and then unplug the
power -- does the battery keep the computer running without an
automatic reboot?  I've seen notebooks that could run on battery or
on AC but the battery wouldn't keep the unit up if the AC went off.

For desktop users, any kind of defrag, restore, etc -- be sure you
use a UPS -- or you can be in the same situation.

Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 09:27 PM 4/23/2006, you wrote:
>I only have a operating system CD which is for reinstallation of
>microsoft windows xp home edition including service pack 2...in safe
>mode at top of black page it says it is working properly...but I am
>missing the shell32.dll component so I can't get into the front page
>it goes to automatically...it's like maybe no memory? I don't
>know...it all happened when it was restoring and the laptop shut
>off...not on purpose but due to battery died...so I'm thinking it
>lost stuff in it's memory or I really have no idea...Melody
>
>Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,
>
> > OH no...I even put in my recovery CD and it's not working either...still
> > goes to black screen and pop up window stating winlogon.exe unable to
> > locate component.
>
>Sound like you did not reboot with the recovery CD. If you choose to
recover
>by reformatting the drive, or better still only C if you have more than one
>partition, this will bypass the hard drive and any errors that may be on
it.
>Or is the CD drive failing?
>
>Jim

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Member

Welcome to the Joy Luck Club, Winnie :). We will drown our sorrows here
with a bunch of beers and lots of advice from the good people here....hehe.
Hopefully they will bring their own beers. BTW, good advice!

Winnie Clark <k9castle@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi All,

I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a totally
self-taught PC user (one of those who said for years .... what on
earth would I do with a computer???).  Now, of course, I can't
imagine life without one!

I started in 1997 with Win 95 and have moved up though Win 98,
ME, and now XP. I've learned a lot through trial and error and from
lists like this.  I enjoy picking up tips and tricks from others and
hopefully
will be able to answer a question or two myself.

My biggest tip to everyone is to BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP.
I recently had what should have been a small hardware glitch that I
contacted Dell about.  After 13 days, 18 technicians, and $99 my system
was so totally corrupt that there was no fixing it and I lost *everything*.
Every financial record, every photo, every document.  Each technician
made the problem a little worse, and it totally snowballed.

Strangely enough the problem began with a flash drive that I had installed
to BACK-UP!

Now, I'm very careful to backup everything on a regular basis.  That was
a nightmare I don't ever care to repeat.

Looking forward to participating,

Winnie
K9Castle@xxxxxxxxxxx

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 9
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Good Points, Jim.

But the reluctance to a "full" restore is well based.

1.  Of course, the full restore not only wipes out
everything on my C: drive BUT also the other 4 data
partitions Ihave creasted !

2.  HP provided

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 10
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:41:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Good Points, Jim.

But the reluctance to a "full" restore is well based.

1.  Of course, the full restore not only wipes out
everything on my C: drive BUT also the other 4 data
partitions Ihave created !

2.  HP provided TWO plus a supplemental restore CDs.
It takes 5 HOURS to run the restore.  There is
supposed to be a partial restore but can't find a
telephone tech who can/will tell me how to do it.

(With the low cost of CDs, it is amazing that a co.
like HP couldn't include one with full support info.)

I have been an EX (retired) engineer for about 18
years.

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

One suggestion:  Find a site for a major power supply
mfr and read their specs.

Estavi

--- Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Howard,
>
> > The power supply and memory stick are the first 2
> items we will be
> > replacing.
>
> I have been thinking about the computer 'switching'
> power supply, how
> sensitive they might be to low line voltage. That
> and if any individaul PS
> output voltages are low, how this will affect the
> typical motherboard.
>
> I wonder whether anyone has any concrete figures on
> these two issue, please
> don't guess. I can make educated guesses, I was an
> electronics tech. before
> teaching electronics. I'm hoping for anecdotal
> evidence.
>
> Jim

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:49:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Melody,

What a cute name!

If all that is wrong is that you have a missing
"shell32.dll", then I can't see why you can't copy
that from another computer and register it.

I am unsure if the XP Home file is the same as the XP
Pro file, but if you want to give it a go I can send
you a copy of mine (XP PRO SP2) and all you woul need
to do is place it in C:\Windows\system32 and register
it.

To register it you go:

START > RUN > and type REGSVR32 shell32.dll and hit
OK.

Make sue you put a space between "REGSVR32" and
"shell32.dll" or it will not work!

That is all there is to it.  The system will
immediately acknowledge if the registration has/has
not been successful.

My copy is approx 8.25 Mb, so it is not small.

I am unclear just how far your system is booting up,
bu I can't see why you can't load the new file and
register it from the Command Prompt.

Any one chip in here if that is not possible?

Cheers,

John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

--- "Melody (Little Wolf)"
<little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi...that was the problem...I was doing a restore
> when the electricity went out...it stopped the
> restore in mid restore...which in turn now some of
> my components are gone...and it won't go back
> on...just black page comes up with the missing
> shell.dll pop up...I can't restore or anything...I
> can't get to start...it's black page...the only
> thing that comes up when I turn on my laptop is safe
> mode, etc...other than that, it's black page and
> that pop up comes up...I'm not trying to
> restore...I'm trying to get back on...and undo
> whatever happened...

Message: 13
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Don't be too confident about backing up to another
partition on your Hd.  Much to my dismay, I discovered
the hard way, that my HP's restore disks wipes out and
re-formats the ENTIRE hard drive (not just C:).  I am
going to get an external Hd for backups.

But to simplify and protect your stored data, the very
best solution (too late smart !) is to use a program
like Acronis True Image.  It makes an image of an
entire hd (or partition) and saves it on a hd or on
CD/DVDs.  It can restore the entire HD including your
apps and all your settings in about 30 minutes.  It
does overwrite the partition it is restoring...so keep
the image current.

Estavi

--- Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Melody,
>

> ANYONE KIBITZIN: This is why we constantly
> reiterate... BACK UP YOUR DATA
> FREQUENTLY. My favorite method is an exteran USB
> hard drive.
>
> Jim

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch