[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1735

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:24:18 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. RE: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: UPDATE - Closing Topic ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Real player question
           From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. RE: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: Help please
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: Help please
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:55:30 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Howard,

> Seems likely to me.
>
> I think the power supply will be the first to be bought.

Makes me wish I still had my variac. [variable line voltage transformer. ]
We used to use one to observe how a dvice acted when line voltage was high.
I hate having to replace an expensive device just to troubleshoot it.
Fortunately I have a spare power supply, but in my case the spontaneous
rebooting is so rare that I haven't had one in almost two weeks.

Jim

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:57:51 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help please

OH no...I even put in my recovery CD and it's not working either...still
goes to black screen and pop up window stating winlogon.exe unable to
locate component...this application has failed to start becasue shell32.dll
was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem....well,
I tried to re-install with my recovery CD and it's not
working...tears...now what do I do? I'm frantic...Melody

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:03:13 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Help please

Mike,

> here are the command prompt restore instructions from Microsoft

> Start System Restore from the Command Line
> http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;304449&spid=1173&sid=global
> http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050816CO-KB_304449

Unfortunately the above item links to exactly the same place as the one
above it. It momentarily blinks as if the site it originall went to jumped
it to the first one.

Jim

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:10:46 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

I tried the safe mode like stated below and it is still black background
and
pop up saying "winlogon.exe - unable to locate component..

Sad to say but it sounds like you need to run your rescue disks if you have
them. If not maybe you can get a set from the computer mfg. I had a problem
where my computer needed to be restored in that way and I couldn't find the
rescue disks I had created. I conteacted the company and for a moderate
price they sent me a set. Of course then I found my disks. :-) Anyway, if
you can't run system restore and you have a clobbered system, I don't know
of anything but the factory rescue disks that will resolve the problem.
This
measn of course that you will lose any data on the C drive. I always
partition my drives so that data is on other than C. That way I am able to
recover data. But you still will lose any apps insalled since you got your
computer... IF you have the install disks.

ANYONE KIBITZIN: This is why we constantly reiterate... BACK UP YOUR DATA
FREQUENTLY. My favorite method is an exteran USB hard drive.

Jim

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:17:46 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

I don't understand...this doesn't work for me at all...I can't restore, I
cant' get into anything...I can't even get to the front page...what happens
when I turn on my laptop is as it's starting up I hit F8 so I can get it to
the windows advanced options menu...then it gives a list of safe mode,
enable boot logging, and all kinds of stuff...I have tried going into safe
mode, last known good and even reboot...none of it works...it goes streight
to a black page with that same pop up about winlogon.exe-unable to locate
component...I can't even get to the front page or anything...Melody

Unfortunately the above item links to exactly the same place as the one
above it. It momentarily blinks as if the site it originall went to jumped
it to the first one.

Jim

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:21:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

Well, I bought this from ebay...it came with operating system CD and a
couple other ones for DVD and something else...I put in the Reinstallation
CD microsoft windows xp home edition including service pack 2, and it only
goes to the black screen with the pop up of winlogon.exe - unable to locate
component...I was hoping I could do someting in one of the safe mode's and
bring it all back...it was interrupted as it was restoring...and when I
turned it back on, this is what happened...Melody

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,

[...]

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:13:36 -0400
   From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

It sounds like it's not set up to boot from the CD.

Did you say it's a Dell?  Try F10 or F12 at the Dell screen or go into BIOS
setup and tell it to boot from the CD before the HD.

Mark

Well, I bought this from ebay...it came with operating system CD and a
couple other ones for DVD and something else...I put in the Reinstallation
CD microsoft windows xp home edition including service pack 2, and it only
goes to the black screen with the pop up of winlogon.exe - unable to locate
component...I was hoping I could do someting in one of the safe mode's and
bring it all back...it was interrupted as it was restoring...and when I
turned it back on, this is what happened...Melody

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:31:08 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: UPDATE - Closing Topic ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!

I have installed the FREE ZONE ALARM and AVG, now It is Stealth and The
LeakTest Passed as well!

I will never purchase Zone Alarm Security Suite as thre was something that
made it go to safe mode. Perhaps the Free version will work since it hasn't
got all the bells and whistles and perhaps will run fine!

Thanks to Everyone, as your input was very important to find my security
solution!!!!!

Everything is running well so far without complications, hope it stays that
way!

Your imput is valuable and appreciated. I also have other options from you
guys if I run into trouble!

Thanks To All Of You!

Sheila

From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MCH] UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:59:40 -0700 (PDT)

Here are some explanation of Kerio's configuration settings:
http://www.hackfix.org/software/configure/tiny.html

If you are a member of MCH Forums, Sean posted an article on Kerio here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=13&st=0
It is a very good starting point to get more info on Kerio.

John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Hi,

Yes, the Leak Test revealed a vulnerability in your firewall configuration.

I do not use Kerio, but I assume that there would be a module that will
allow you to set program permissions in the firewall, and that is where you
will need to set the "Deny" (or similar wording) for the GR Leaktest.

Then try again and the leaktest should not be able to dial out....which
means a successful test of your firewall.

Hmmmmm, I thought that there was some advice on this whenever you activate
the Gibson Research Leaktest??

John Lehn

---------------------
 > 1056 Ports Tested
 > ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

 > TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
 > - NO unsolicited packets were received,
 > - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

   LeakTest: Firewall Leakage Tester v1.2
said: Firewall Penetrated LeakTest WAS ABLE to connect to  the mais GRC.COM
Web Server!
LeakTest was not prevented from connecting to the Gibson Research web
server. You either have no firewall, you have delibertly allowed LeakTest
connect outbound, or (if neither of those), LeakTest has just slipped past
your firewall's outbound "protection", if any.
Now, does the LeakTest mean anything?
If so, what do you all think?
Sheila

Message: 9
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:19:14 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

Melody,

> OH no...I even put in my recovery CD and it's not working either...still
> goes to black screen and pop up window stating winlogon.exe unable to
> locate component.

Sound like you did not reboot with the recovery CD. If you choose to
recover
by reformatting the drive, or better still only C if you have more than one
partition, this will bypass the hard drive and any errors that may be on
it.
Or is the CD drive failing?

Jim

Message: 10
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:28:01 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

>I can't restore, I cant' get into anything...

Since you don't describe what happens when you try to restore I think that
you are talking about the system restore to a previous time. What you may
need to put your factory disk in the CD drive and reboot. You will then
have
to choose the option that reformats the C partition. This as far as I can
tell from what you have said is your only option if the OS on the  drive is
so badly damaged. AND if your machine is fairly recent, and you have no
rescue disk(s) you will have to contact your computer manufacturor for a
new
one(s).

Maybe someone has an alternative strategy, I don't I have been through the
situation.

Jim

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:29:55 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

> Well, I bought this from ebay...it came with operating system CD and a
> couple other ones for DVD and something else...I put in the
Reinstallation
> CD microsoft windows xp

You did not mention rebooting, you have to reboot with the XP CD in the
drive. The process is much like I described in the rescue CD process.

Jim

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:31:11 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Mark,

> It sounds like it's not set up to boot from the CD.

Or if you don't press a key when rebooting the computer may default to NOT
booting from the CD.

Jim

Message: 13
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 01:57:43 -0000
   From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Real player question

  Temporarily disabled spyware ,put sites in trusted section.When I
rightclick scopes doesn't show .Still no luck with links .Wonder if
it has to do with Windows update .That and the problem seem to
coincide.Before last Windows update everything worked perfect for 2
wks.

Message: 14
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:21:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

How do I reboot? cuz I did it in the page that came up after hitting F8 key
that has safe mode, etc. on it...and that didnt' work either...sigh...I had
the Reinstallation CD in and everything...although it does say it will not
install programs or drivers...it does say it reinstalls the operating
system...but it didn't do anything...got the same thing...black screen with
pop up window...

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,

> Well, I bought this from ebay...it came with operating system CD and a
> couple other ones for DVD and something else...I put in the
Reinstallation
> CD microsoft windows xp

You did not mention rebooting, you have to reboot with the XP CD in the
drive. The process is much like I described in the rescue CD process.

Jim

Message: 15
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:24:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

I will start from beginning of what happened...I was restoring to previous
day, laptop turned off in middle of restoring due to battery
died...electricity was off...I tried to turn it back on and that's when I
got the black screen and pop up window that there is no win32.dll
component...I'm not trying to restore...I'm trying to get to the front page
where info. is...I can't even get to start page...Melody

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,

>I can't restore, I cant' get into anything...

Since you don't describe what happens when you try to restore I think that
you are talking about the system restore to a previous time. What you may
need to put your factory disk in the CD drive and reboot. You will then
have
to choose the option that reformats the C partition. This as far as I can
tell from what you have said is your only option if the OS on the  drive is
so badly damaged. AND if your machine is fairly recent, and you have no
rescue disk(s) you will have to contact your computer manufacturor for a
new
one(s).

Maybe someone has an alternative strategy, I don't I have been through the
situation.

Jim

Message: 16
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:27:28 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

I only have a operating system CD which is for reinstallation of microsoft
windows xp home edition including service pack 2...in safe mode at top of
black page it says it is working properly...but I am missing the
shell32.dll component so I can't get into the front page it goes to
automatically...it's like maybe no memory? I don't know...it all happened
when it was restoring and the laptop shut off...not on purpose but due to
battery died...so I'm thinking it lost stuff in it's memory or I really
have no idea...Melody

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,

> OH no...I even put in my recovery CD and it's not working either...still
> goes to black screen and pop up window stating winlogon.exe unable to
> locate component.

Sound like you did not reboot with the recovery CD. If you choose to
recover
by reformatting the drive, or better still only C if you have more than one
partition, this will bypass the hard drive and any errors that may be on
it.
Or is the CD drive failing?

Jim

Message: 17
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:45:56 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

>How do I reboot? cuz I did it in the page that came up after hitting F8
key
>that has safe

Put the XP install CD in the drive, then click Start, Shutdown, then
Restart. Then watch the screen for the message about hitting a key to boot
from the CD. If you get past the black screen with white text then maybe
your bios is not configured to boot from CD's.

If this is the case you will need to change that. Reboot again and watch
for
a messager about entering setup. They it will tell you to use is probably
F2, Del of F1. These are the common ones. Where the CD boot configuration
is
usually in a section that lists the boot order. The default order is First
the Floppy [if there is one] the CD Rom drive, then the Hard drive. If this
has been changed somewhere on the page you should find what key will cause
the oder to change. It might be the up/down arrow key or the + or - keys.

Once you have the cd rom ahead of the hard drive you should be able to beet
from the XP CD.

Jim

Message: 18
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 21:49:25 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Melody,

>I was restoring to previous day, laptop turned off in middle of restoring

Best not to do anything like that on battery. But you should have been able
to restart without such a disaster.

Anyway, follow my instructions in my previous message. You have to boot
with
the XP CD and that will only happen if the machine is configured to boot
from a CD. Do not choose any option other than to reformat the C partition.

Jim

Message: 19
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:04:46 -0400
   From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Why not do a repair?

Otherwise, she would lose all her data.

This thread has gone on WAY too long for a simple boot from CD and repair XP
operation...

Mark

Message: 20
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:04:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm confused. Is it win32.dll or shell32.dll that you are missing? Pls
clarify.

"Melody (Little Wolf)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I will start from beginning of what happened...I was restoring to
previous day, laptop turned off in middle of restoring due to battery
died...electricity was off...I tried to turn it back on and that's when I
got the black screen and pop up window that there is no win32.dll
component...I'm not trying to restore...I'm trying to get to the front page
where info. is...I can't even get to start page...Melody

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,

>I can't restore, I cant' get into anything...

Since you don't describe what happens when you try to restore I think that
you are talking about the system restore to a previous time. What you may
need to put your factory disk in the CD drive and reboot. You will then
have
to choose the option that reformats the C partition. This as far as I can
tell from what you have said is your only option if the OS on the  drive is
so badly damaged. AND if your machine is fairly recent, and you have no
rescue disk(s) you will have to contact your computer manufacturor for a
new
one(s).

Maybe someone has an alternative strategy, I don't I have been through the
situation.

Jim

Message: 21
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:12:51 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Melody,
I suggest that you take it to your local computer shop.  It is
possible, if you really have an OS CDROM and not a "Restore
CD",  that the shop can boot the CD, go into a "repair mode" and
resolve the problem.

If you have a friend who is a super computer repair guru, you can
call him or her.  You should expect that they do this as a side
business, not as "free for friends" work.

The process is not straight forward and there are a lot of variations
(if this, I need to do that...) that are only learned from experience
and actually having hands on the malfunctioning machine.

Regarding battery use -- you learned (I hope) never to do critical
system things on battery power.  Once your laptop is up and running,
see what happens when you have it plugged in and then unplug the
power -- does the battery keep the computer running without an
automatic reboot?  I've seen notebooks that could run on battery or
on AC but the battery wouldn't keep the unit up if the AC went off.

For desktop users, any kind of defrag, restore, etc -- be sure you
use a UPS -- or you can be in the same situation.

Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 09:27 PM 4/23/2006, you wrote:
>I only have a operating system CD which is for reinstallation of
>microsoft windows xp home edition including service pack 2...in safe
>mode at top of black page it says it is working properly...but I am
>missing the shell32.dll component so I can't get into the front page
>it goes to automatically...it's like maybe no memory? I don't
>know...it all happened when it was restoring and the laptop shut
>off...not on purpose but due to battery died...so I'm thinking it
>lost stuff in it's memory or I really have no idea...Melody
>
>Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Melody,
>
> > OH no...I even put in my recovery CD and it's not working either...still
> > goes to black screen and pop up window stating winlogon.exe unable to
> > locate component.
>
>Sound like you did not reboot with the recovery CD. If you choose to
recover
>by reformatting the drive, or better still only C if you have more than one
>partition, this will bypass the hard drive and any errors that may be on
it.
>Or is the CD drive failing?
>
>Jim

Message: 22
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:17:57 -0700
   From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Help please

Hi Melody,
if you can get to Safe Mod go to your documents,
your school work, and start saving it to floppy disk
or CD if you have a burner berore you try repairing
the system.

That way you won't loose your homework if something goes wrong.

Mike

Message: 23
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:17:44 +0930
   From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>

Do not follow Jim's advice to format you do not not need to format, this
will wipe the data you need.

You need to enable your computer to boot from CD. Jim provided some good
advice on this. Another option is that on some laptops if you hold down the
"C" button during bootup it will start from CD.

option 1:
boot into safemode with command prompt. run "chkdsk c: /f"  (without
quotes). when that has finished press ctl-alt-del, task manager will pop up,
choose shutdown -> restart.

option 2:
I provided a link to a web site (i did not mean drive to the shops, that is
what the link is for)
( try http://www.serverninjas.com/ubcd4winfiles/UBCD4WinV26.exe )
in my earlier post that enables you to download a file which you can burn to
CD, you can then boot from that CD to rescue your system. This CD contains a
windows setup that runs totally off CD, if you manage to boot it up, go to
the menu and choose command prompt. Then in the prompt type "chkdsk c: /f"
without the quotes. this will fix your problem, i have done this many times,
with exactly your problem.

option 3:
if you have a windows xp install disk (not a Dell recover disk, which usally
just wipe your system and restore a disk image), boot from it, press R to
enter the recovery console, then type "chkdsk c: /p" (note this is different
to the above command).

option 4:
just wipe the thing and reinstall, or take it to your local tech if you want
your data. but trust me you do not need to wipe it to make it work, or
recover your files.

Message: 24
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:56:41 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That was one thing my wifes puter showed.

We couldn`t get it past that so we bought new disks from Hewlett-packard.

Actually ,we never had an origonal disk.

They cvost ,I believe it was,24.00 for the seven disks.

Call HP if thats the brand or whoever made your puter and ask for the disks.

   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:58:58 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A better way is to dtore badly needed data on a USB drive.

I used a Samsung and its running fine still after 3 years of almost daily
use.

[...]

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here