[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1734

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:51:37 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Help please
           From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: How to activate XP
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Help please
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: How to activate XP
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. NVRaid Drivers
           From: "Lorenzo" <zo8pin@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: NVRaid Drivers
           From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. New Member
           From: Winnie Clark <k9castle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: New Member
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Help Please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Help please
           From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Help please
           From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Help please
           From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: New Member
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Re[2]: Help please
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:04:24 +0530
   From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Missing a necesary root certificate

Hello Estavi,

Yes, I noticed the date that day when sending out the mail. I tried to
correct it after the various problems (below) cropped up but it would
not correct so I think it was possibly a related event.  Now it has
synchronized.

I had replaced the battery just two months back. Anyway, I will replace
it again - they are  not too much of a cost. Better be safe than sorry!

To all members who probably replied to my problem, sorry for not
replying but I lost 'all' my mail for the past 3 days. :-(

Thanks a ton.

Warm regards,
Rakesh.

===========================================================================================================

> Hello Rakesh:  Check the date on your computer.  It is
> set for May 20, 2004.  the battery may be going bad.
>
> Estavi
>
> --- Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I started my computer today and got the following
> > message -
> >
> > CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad.
> >
> > Press F2 to run Setup.
> > Press F1 tol oad default values and continue.
> >
> > Knowing nothing about Setup, I pressed F1. This
> > popup window came up -
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zclient.exe
> >
> > There was a white cross/multiplication sign inside a
> > red button.
> > Validation failed for
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\VSINIT.dll. You re probably
> > missing a necessary root certificate.
> >
> > What does this mean and what should I do? Please
> > help.
> >
> > Till the point when I shut down the machine last
> > night, nothing untoward
> > had happened nor did I load any new programme?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Warm regards,
> > Ricky.

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

The Message archive should have a copy of all the group emails for the past
three days and beyond:
http://shorterlink.com/?PIQXQ5

Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  Hello Estavi,

Yes, I noticed the date that day when sending out the mail. I tried to
correct it after the various problems (below) cropped up but it would
not correct so I think it was possibly a related event.  Now it has
synchronized.

I had replaced the battery just two months back. Anyway, I will replace
it again - they are  not too much of a cost. Better be safe than sorry!

To all members who probably replied to my problem, sorry for not
replying but I lost 'all' my mail for the past 3 days. :-(

Thanks a ton.

Warm regards,
Rakesh.

===========================================================================================================

> Hello Rakesh:  Check the date on your computer.  It is
> set for May 20, 2004.  the battery may be going bad.
>
> Estavi
>
> --- Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > I started my computer today and got the following
> > message -
> >
> > CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad.
> >
> > Press F2 to run Setup.
> > Press F1 tol oad default values and continue.
> >
> > Knowing nothing about Setup, I pressed F1. This
> > popup window came up -
> >
> > C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zclient.exe
> >
> > There was a white cross/multiplication sign inside a
> > red button.
> > Validation failed for
> > C:\WINDOWS\system32\VSINIT.dll. You re probably
> > missing a necessary root certificate.
> >
> > What does this mean and what should I do? Please
> > help.
> >
> > Till the point when I shut down the machine last
> > night, nothing untoward
> > had happened nor did I load any new programme?
> >
> > Many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Warm regards,
> > Ricky.

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 22:50:50 +0930
   From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

This problem may be caused by heat issues due to poor case design / compact
case design (ie bad air flow). Try setting CPU to "Portable/Laptop" power
scheme for a while (few hours at least), see how you go.

The below is edited by me from http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/cpu.asp?print=1

The PC may have reached a "thermal zone", exceeding a temperature that the
system designers did not want to exceed. The system may reduce speed or even
shut down in these cases.

Beginning with the Pentium 4, Intel has incorporated some of the thermal and
power management features into their desktop processors, and AMD has
followed suit. On desktop processors, the emphasis is usually on preventing
overheating due to inadequate cooling, rather than saving power.
Nonetheless, the technology is basically the same, and is controlled by the
same Windows settings.

In Windows XP, go to Control Panel | Power Options, Power Schemes tab.
Select the "Portable/Laptop" power scheme.

*XP Power scheme*

*AC*

*Battery***

Always On

None

None

Home/Office Desktop

None

Adaptive

Portable/Laptop

Adaptive

Adaptive

Minimal Power Management

Adaptive

Adaptive

Maximize Battery Life

Adaptive

Degrade

Presentation

Adaptive

Degrade

When *None* is in effect, the CPU will always run at full speed unless it
reaches a critical thermal zone (in plain terms, unless it's overheating).
For the *Adaptive* mode, the system will run at a lower speed until Windows
decides that the system workload justifies moving the CPU to a higher speed.
This may be done in several steps; the exact decision will depend on the
workload, the power scheme, and the type of CPU being used. In the
*Degrade*mode, the processor will always run slower to conserve power,
and may even
be stopped totally when possible. This will reduce performance, obviously.

On 23/04/06, Rich S <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Estavi
> Unrelated to the question,but I just wanted
> to thank you for the excellent word wrap of
> your message.It's much easier to read this
> way and more esthetically pleasing.
> Rich S
>
> --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Estavi Meilu
>
> <estavi2@...> wrote:
> >
> > It was casually mentioned a while back, but a VERY
> > good possibility is a bad power supply or a shorted
> > power connection wire.  When there is a failure in
> > power output, (due to power supply problem, shorted
> > wiring or a failing component that causes a voltage
> > loss) the powersupply/computer will automatically shut
> > down.
> >
> > If the heat seaking solutions don't fix the problem,
> > suggest the following as a fault isolation effort:
> > 1. Check ALL the wires FROM the power supply. Make
> > sure none of them are pinched by some component or
> > there are no bare spots in the insulation of the
> > wiring.
> >
> > 2.  If no problems in 1, disconnect the power
> > connectors to the floppy drive and cd/dvd ROM, or
> > slave harddrive.  This might isolate a bad unit that
> > is causing a power disturbance.
> >
> > 3.  If nothing in 1 or 2, and the heat solutions
> > didn't work, you may have to find someone with a spare
> > power supply who will temporarily install it for you
> > to check if that is the problem.
> >
> > One final thought, did this problem start right after
> > you added some item to the computer?  Many computers
> > use power supplies that are only marginally adequate.
> > If other units (cd/dvd drives or another hard drive)
> > are added, the undersized power supply will
> > intermittently give up--which shuts down the computer.
> >
> > Good Luck.
> >
> > Estavi
>

>  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

>    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 23:02:17 +0930
   From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

My advice is to get a PE boot CD ( http://www.ubcd4win.com/ ) and run chkdsk
c: /F from the cmd prompt. This usally fixes that issue.

On 23/04/06, Mike the mod <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Melody,
> what kind of laptop is it?
> Windows ? 98/ME/2000/XP
>
> Do you now have the battery fully charged and pluged into the power block
> to keep it charged up?
>
> Mike
> ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
>

> On 4/23/2006 at 5:23 AM Melody wrote:
>
> I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because I had
> problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
> battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop and it
> says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
> page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
> computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any way to
> get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
> packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first turn on
> laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal again?
> and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody
>

> ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

>  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

>    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:52:14 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to activate XP

Thanks, Jim!

Steve
NH

Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Steve,

 > On the serious side, though, I have a bunch of
 > computers and a bunch of hard drives and 2 copies of
 > XP Pro. I don't know which copy came with which HD in
 > which computer.

 I have only had to call MS once for activation in spite of the fact that I
 have reinstall from one of three XP disks that I now have. If you find the
 XP seriel # on your machine and use that to activate XP it should work.

 Jim

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:58:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Are you getting a "missing shell.dll file" error message?

  You can download shell.dll here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winfiles/shell-dll.zip
OR
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shell
  and put it in both:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM

  You may try the following too, if the above does not work:
Click Start>Run>type SFC /Scannow >Hit OK.
Use SFC /Scannow command to restore missing system files:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747

[...]

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:44:49 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

You will need the CD Key, which is not the same thing as the Product
Code.  Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) will tell you the CD Keys for
your installation.

Or, if you have good eyes and a flash light, you can read it off the
sticker on your case - if you can figure out the idiotitic, ambiguous
fonts that Microsoft uses on those stickers.

Belarc Advisor's will tell you a LOT about your computer.

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 08:52 AM 4/23/2006, you wrote:
>Thanks, Jim!
>
>Steve
>NH
>
>Jim <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Steve,
>
>  > On the serious side, though, I have a bunch of
>  > computers and a bunch of hard drives and 2 copies of
>  > XP Pro. I don't know which copy came with which HD in
>  > which computer.
>
>  I have only had to call MS once for activation in spite of the fact that
>  have reinstall from one of three XP disks that I now have. If you find
the
>  XP seriel # on your machine and use that to activate XP it should work.
>
>  Jim

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:31:54 -0000
   From: "Lorenzo" <zo8pin@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: NVRaid Drivers

Hello.. Everyone. I built my second computer. I am running an Abit KN8
939 socket board. I installed the operationg system but somehow did
not install the NVRAID Drivers from the disk that came with the board.
I am fairly new at this and can't seem to figure out how to get this
disk to install. There is no install setup on the disk. And I don't
know what directory to copy it to if that is the simple solution..

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorenzo

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:09:56 +0930
   From: "Arron Cusimano" <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: NVRaid Drivers

When you install windows, right at the start it say press F6 to install 3rd
party SCSI or RAID drivers. Have your driver floppy handy and press F6.

On 24/04/06, Lorenzo <zo8pin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello.. Everyone. I built my second computer. I am running an Abit KN8
> 939 socket board. I installed the operationg system but somehow did
> not install the NVRAID Drivers from the disk that came with the board.
> I am fairly new at this and can't seem to figure out how to get this
> disk to install. There is no install setup on the disk. And I don't
> know what directory to copy it to if that is the simple solution..
>
> Help!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Lorenzo
>

>  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

>    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Message: 10
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:47:47 -0400
   From: Winnie Clark <k9castle@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New Member

Hi All,

I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a totally
self-taught PC user (one of those who said for years .... what on
earth would I do with a computer???).  Now, of course, I can't
imagine life without one!

I started in 1997 with Win 95 and have moved up though Win 98,
ME, and now XP. I've learned a lot through trial and error and from
lists like this.  I enjoy picking up tips and tricks from others and
hopefully
will be able to answer a question or two myself.

My biggest tip to everyone is to BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP.
I recently had what should have been a small hardware glitch that I
contacted Dell about.  After 13 days, 18 technicians, and $99 my system
was so totally corrupt that there was no fixing it and I lost *everything*.
Every financial record, every photo, every document.  Each technician
made the problem a little worse, and it totally snowballed.

Strangely enough the problem began with a flash drive that I had installed
to BACK-UP!

Now, I'm very careful to backup everything on a regular basis.  That was
a nightmare I don't ever care to repeat.

Looking forward to participating,

Winnie
K9Castle@xxxxxxxxxxx

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
Tested on: 4/23/2006 12:47:47 PM

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:32:15 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Member

I don't know why, but I swear our PC's go out of their way at times to give
us a nervous breakdown..--Phyllis

> I'm a new member and wanted to introduce myself.  I'm a totally
> self-taught PC user (one of those who said for years .... what on
> earth would I do with a computer???).  Now, of course, I can't
> imagine life without one!
>
> I started in 1997 with Win 95 and have moved up though Win 98,
> ME, and now XP. I've learned a lot through trial and error and from
> lists like this.  I enjoy picking up tips and tricks from others and
> hopefully
> will be able to answer a question or two myself.
>
> My biggest tip to everyone is to BACK-UP, BACK-UP, BACK-UP.
> I recently had what should have been a small hardware glitch that I
> contacted Dell about.  After 13 days, 18 technicians, and $99 my system
> was so totally corrupt that there was no fixing it and I lost
> *everything*.
> Every financial record, every photo, every document.  Each technician
> made the problem a little worse, and it totally snowballed.
>
> Strangely enough the problem began with a flash drive that I had installed
> to BACK-UP!
>
> Now, I'm very careful to backup everything on a regular basis.  That was
> a nightmare I don't ever care to repeat.
>
> Looking forward to participating,
>
> Winnie
> K9Castle@xxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ---
> Virus Database (VPS): 0616-4, 04/21/2006
> Tested on: 4/23/2006 12:47:47 PM
>

> ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://www.eset.com

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:48:30 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi,

> It was casually mentioned a while back, but a VERY
> good possibility is a bad power supply or a shorted
> power connection wire.

OK, this thread brought to mind one more possible cause of spontanious
shutdown. What if the power supply has one voltage output running low and
it
momentariyly dips low enough to cause the reboot. I don't know how low it
would have to get but if you have a built in or add on program the monitors
the voltages maybe you could keep it running and check it often to see if a
reboot occurs when a voltage is low.

Jim

Message: 13
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:57:39 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help Please

Tears...my laptop is a dell windows xp...had all kinds of goodies on
it..bought it that way so didn't get some of the CD's to put them back
on...so I'm hoping I can fix it where it is now asking to start in safe
mode, etc...I tried again in last known line and still stays black and pops
up window missing shell.rdll or something like that...I need my laptop back
up because I have to leave town Monday and need to do my college work that
I still have on it...oh Please I hope someone can help me...I hate to
restore but I couldn't get the stupid instant messenger right and it
wouldn't delete off right in add or remove...so, I thought restoring back
one day would work...probalby would have if electricity didn't go out and
battery died...not sure if battery is back up cuz it charges fast when it's
on while plugged in...so it might be as I had it plugged in this
morning...but I can't get my page up at all to go into yahoo or
anything...yes, our electricity is on and fine...so
 plugged it should work...Thank you so much for the help...Hugs, MElody

[...]

Message: 14
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:02:44 -0000
   From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm not sure what you mean...where I live is way out in
mountains...I'm 3 hours away from any shopping area to get a CD...if
I put in a CD won't it lose all I have on it? the problem is I can't
even get to start or front page with anything...it is all
black...nothing on it...it died right in middle of restore so the
laptop didn't get to finish what it was doing and I lost
components...I can't get back on a page to do anything...except safe
mode, and that stuff comes up when I first turn it on...maybe I can
do a command prompt there???

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Arron Cusimano"
<mordain23@...> wrote:

> My advice is to get a PE boot CD ( http://www.ubcd4win.com/ ) and
run chkdsk
> c: /F from the cmd prompt. This usally fixes that issue.
>

> On 23/04/06, Mike the mod <mikebike@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Melody,
> > what kind of laptop is it?
> > Windows ? 98/ME/2000/XP
> >
> > Do you now have the battery fully charged and pluged into the
power block
> > to keep it charged up?
> >
> > Mike
> > ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
> >

> > On 4/23/2006 at 5:23 AM Melody wrote:
> >
> > I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because
I had
> > problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
> > battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop
and it
> > says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
> > page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
> > computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any
way to
> > get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
> > packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first
turn on
> > laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal
again?
> > and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody
> >

> > ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when
responding.==
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> >  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when
responding.==
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

daches>"

unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mycomputerheadaches-

> >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Message: 15
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:03:00 -0000
   From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

<mordain23@...> wrote:

> My advice is to get a PE boot CD ( http://www.ubcd4win.com/ ) and
run chkdsk
> c: /F from the cmd prompt. This usally fixes that issue.
>

> On 23/04/06, Mike the mod <mikebike@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Melody,
> > what kind of laptop is it?
> > Windows ? 98/ME/2000/XP
> >
> > Do you now have the battery fully charged and pluged into the
power block
> > to keep it charged up?
> >
> > Mike
> > ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
> >

> > On 4/23/2006 at 5:23 AM Melody wrote:
> >
> > I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because
I had
> > problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
> > battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop
and it
> > says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
> > page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
> > computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any
way to
> > get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
> > packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first
turn on
> > laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal
again?
> > and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody
> >

> > ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when
responding.==
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >

> >  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when
responding.==
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

daches>"
> >    on the web.
> >
> >    -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> >     mycomputerheadaches-
unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mycomputerheadaches-

> >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
> >    Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

Message: 16
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:59:53 -0000
   From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, I'm getting that but how can I download it? I can't get into my
laptop at all...it won't go to a page except black one...it is saying
some components are missing and won't go to front page or
anything...just stays black and then has that pop up saying shell.dll
file missing...tears...Melody

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, casper
<officialbizniz@...> wrote:

> Are you getting a "missing shell.dll file" error message?
>
>   You can download shell.dll here:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/winfiles/shell-dll.zip
> OR
> http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?shell
>   and put it in both:
> C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32 and C:\WINNT\SYSTEM
>

>   You may try the following too, if the above does not work:
> Click Start>Run>type SFC /Scannow >Hit OK.
> Use SFC /Scannow command to restore missing system files:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747
>

> Mike the mod <mikebike@...> wrote:
>   Hi Melody,
> what kind of laptop is it?
> Windows ? 98/ME/2000/XP
>
> Do you now have the battery fully charged and pluged into the power
block to keep it charged up?

> Mike
> ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
>
> On 4/23/2006 at 5:23 AM Melody wrote:
>
> I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because I
had
> problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
> battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop and
it
> says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
> page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
> computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any way
> get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
> packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first turn
on
> laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal
again?
> and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody
>

> Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat
them as well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 17
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:33:03 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The power supply and memory stick are the first 2 items we will be
replacing.

They should be the cheapest,I figured about 40.00 each. We`ll do it one at
a time ,cuz she ain`t rich.

  --- Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  > No.
  > My wife`s puter has the same problem.
  >
  > We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces
  > want.
  >
  > I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think
  > its what`s called an "imbedded" virus.
  >
  > They all said it can`t be found by conventional
  > means.

Service.

Message: 18
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:41:31 -0700
   From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Help please

Hi Melody,
here are the command prompt restore instructions from Microsoft

Start System Restore from the Command Line
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;304449&spid=1173&sid=global

System Restore is a great feature in XP that lets you roll back the
operating system state to a particular point in time. This can be a
lifesaver when you install or delete something that causes problems.
However, what do you do if things are so messed up that you can't access
System Restore through the graphical interface? KB article 304449 tells you
how to start the System Restore tool from the command prompt.
http://www.wxpnews.com/rd/rd.cfm?id=050816CO-KB_304449

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt
1. Restart your computer, and then press F8 during the initial startup to
start your computer in Safe Mode with a command prompt.

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
315222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222/) A description of the Safe
mode boot options in Windows XP

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account
that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your
computer to an earlier state.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

<mordain23@...> wrote:

[...]

Message: 19
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:50:48 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Seems likely to me.

I think the power supply will be the first to be bought.
  > It was casually mentioned a while back, but a VERY
  > good possibility is a bad power supply or a shorted
  > power connection wire.

  OK, this thread brought to mind one more possible cause of spontanious
  shutdown. What if the power supply has one voltage output running low and
it
  momentariyly dips low enough to cause the reboot. I don't know how low it
  would have to get but if you have a built in or add on program the
monitors
  the voltages maybe you could keep it running and check it often to see if
  reboot occurs when a voltage is low.

  Jim

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

support
        Computer training  Free computer technical support  Computer
problems

Service.

Message: 20
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:56:09 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi,

> Not all the con jobs come from technicians.

Right, but when the information is wrong it matters not much whether the
misinformer is doing it intentionally or just doesn't know any better. I
tend to believe that no one should trust what someone says unless they are
very sure that the person knows somthing. OR the recommended step will not
be harmful.

> having a problem with the XP in my new(er) HP.
> Contacted HP tech support (in India). Went thru all
> the checks, and when he ran out of items, he told me I
> would just have to do a complete restore of the OS.
> His explanation:
> "There was some static buildup in the power supply
> that corrupted the OS."

The only thing worse that people who have not been trained and just tell
you
something from their list of 'if 'a' then tell them 'b'. THAN when those
people start guessing on their own. The list recommendations may not work
but their guesses are not only unlikely to work but are probably completely
bogus.

> Maybe he knows more than I, but as an ex-electronics
> eneginer I never heard of that phenomenon.

EX? What are you doing now? Of course I'm also an EX, ex electronics
teacher
and electronics teacher. Seventeen year teaching and nearly twenty as a
broadcast technician.
The problem with computer troublehooting is that it is not only new
technology compated to analogue electroncs but it is also a broader field,
the old hardware vs. software is always cropping up. That and logic vs
starndard and unstandard established procedure that may defy logic.

> course he had no real basis. I believe he was giving
> me a pacifier explanation to justify a complete
> restore when they had no other solutions.

Actually I run my rescue disks when I can't find any other solution. My
rate
of effective solutions to bogus ones that I get in on line groups is at
least twenty to one against. The first task is to filter out the 'tips'
that
are just guesses from members. And when I give possible solutions, I am
usually as tentative as I can, because I know that they are often guesses.

Then there is the rule that troubleshooters know, when logical and
reasonable solutions don't work, try the illogical an unreasonable ones. OR
just use the rescue disks. :-)

Jim

Message: 21
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:01:12 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Rich,

> Unrelated to the question,but I just wanted
> to thank you for the excellent word wrap of
> your message.It's much easier to read this
> way and more esthetically pleasing.

I have to respond because I really wish that those who write and especailly
those who reply would edit their messags. People place their replies all
over the place, sometimes I never find a reply because the message is all
mixed up. I have been on list groups where some people equatee 'bottom
repliers' almost as bad as the off topic writers. That's a little extreme.
What I do is edit my reply segments after each part that I am replying to.

Jim

Message: 22
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:04:48 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Howard,

> The power supply and memory stick are the first 2 items we will be
> replacing.

I have been thinking about the computer 'switching' power supply, how
sensitive they might be to low line voltage. That and if any individaul PS
output voltages are low, how this will affect the typical motherboard.

I wonder whether anyone has any concrete figures on these two issue, please
don't guess. I can make educated guesses, I was an electronics tech. before
teaching electronics. I'm hoping for anecdotal evidence.

Jim

Message: 23
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 14:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Help please

Hi...that was the problem...I was doing a restore when the electricity went
out...it stopped the restore in mid restore...which in turn now some of my
components are gone...and it won't go back on...just black page comes up
with the missing shell.dll pop up...I can't restore or anything...I can't
get to start...it's black page...the only thing that comes up when I turn
on my laptop is safe mode, etc...other than that, it's black page and that
pop up comes up...I'm not trying to restore...I'm trying to get back
on...and undo whatever happened...

<mordain23@...> wrote:

[...]

Message: 24
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:09:43 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Winnie,

>(one of those who said for years .... what on  earth would I do with a
>computer???).

I had a similar attitude twice, first regarding 'upgrading' to a PC having
owned two Commodore 128s. And then I took awhile to get on the internet. I
haven't used an 8 bit machine in years, my last time was well into my PC
experience but they finally gave out.
Now I can't imagine computing witout the internet.

Jim

Message: 25
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:28:22 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

I tried the safe mode like stated below and it is still black background
and pop up saying "winlogon.exe - unable to locate component...then next to
red x is this application has failed to start because shell32.dll was not
found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"... is there
another way I can type (like in start, run) on beginning page where it says
safe mode, etc.? it wont' even let me into the front page where start
is...Thanks again for the help...I'm just so upset and frustrated...Melody
(Little Wolf)

[...]

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here