[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1733

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 10:08:24 -0700

There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Yahoo group messages
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
      2. Re: How to activate XP
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: New member: Arron Cusimano
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: How to activate XP
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Yahoo group messages
           From: "shadra2003" <shadra2003@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Re: Yahoo group messages
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Real player question
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Help please
           From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Help please
           From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 02:59:51 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Yahoo group messages

A few days ago my yahoo went nuts and downloaded 6 each of all my
yahoo emails from about a week past.  And I started getting individual
emails from this group.  I change my emails from daily digest to
special notice and I am still getting individual emails...  Anyone
know what is going on?  I changed to no emails to see if that will
help.  If not I am going to have to unjoin.  Thanks Annie

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 06:07:30 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to activate XP

Hi, Foo:

On the serious side, though, I have a bunch of
computers and a bunch of hard drives and 2 copies of
XP Pro. I don't know which copy came with which HD in
which computer.

I have had no trouble activating any combo of
XP/computer/HD as long as I call Microsoft on the
phone and explain that a virus wiped out my hard
drive.

Steve
NH

--- foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very funny, Steve...hehe. Well here is a nice FAQ on
> Windows XP activation (some responses are
> tongue-in-cheek):

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 3
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 08:23:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New member: Arron Cusimano

Oh cool! New meat! hehehe
  Welcome to the WWWorld of computer headaches, Arron!

foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Welcome to MCH Yahoo group, Arron! Your input would be most welcome
here and if we can help with some of your computer problems we will be glad
to help too. :)

Arron Cusimano <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Hi, I'm a bit of a geek, I work for an Australian IT support company
catering to the SME market, but spend most of my time contracted out to our
large non-IT parent company, providing onsite desktop support to around 60
PC users, as well as other duties related to managing the sites IT needs. I
have worked as a IT Manager, Systems admin & test analyst. I am familiar
with Windows & Linux systems, and enjoy programming & scripting in many
languages. I'm here to maybe pick up a few tips, and maybe help out some
others.

  On 21 Apr 2006 02:39:36 -0000, mycomputerheadaches Moderator
<mycomputerheadaches-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:

Hello, Welcome to My Computer Headaches (MCH for short). Just a reminder,
this group is moderated, no spam or links to illegal software sites
permitted! Respect other members. Remember we have members from all all
around the world, from different backgrounds, races and religions.
Insulting anyone in the group could result in either expulsion from the
group or temporary suspension of posting priveleges, depending on the
gravity of the infraction.
We would like you to be an ACTIVE member of MCH, rather than just be a
lurker. A short introduction is required by telling us a bit about yourself
& letting us know how much or little you know about computer technology as
an ice breaker. I hope your stay will not only be pleasant but very
informative.

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Message: 4
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:52:09 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Steve,

> On the serious side, though, I have a bunch of
> computers and a bunch of hard drives and 2 copies of
> XP Pro. I don't know which copy came with which HD in
> which computer.

I have only had to call MS once for activation in spite of the fact that I
have reinstall from one of three XP disks that I now have. If you find the
XP seriel # on your machine and use that to activate XP it should work.

Jim

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:46:20 -0000
   From: "shadra2003" <shadra2003@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Yahoo group messages

Hello, Annie,

If the moderator of this group can't "fix" the problem for you, go
into "Help", upper right, and ask the Yahoogroup guys about the
situation.

I use a yahoo email account that ties in with the groups, and have
very few problems.

Warm regards, Shadra

 "Annie"  wrote:
> A few days ago my yahoo went nuts and downloaded 6 each of all my
> yahoo emails from about a week past.  And I started getting
individual emails from this group.  I change my emails from daily
digest to special notice and I am still getting individual
emails...  Anyone know what is going on?  I changed to no emails to
see if that will help.  If not I am going to have to unjoin.
Thanks Annie

Message: 6
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:27:07 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Yahoo group messages

I had this problem before and it is not the fault of the mods. It is just
that when you change the status or settings of your account, it takes a
while for Yahoo servers to execute the changes. Just be patient, Annie.

"Annie"  wrote:
> A few days ago my yahoo went nuts and downloaded 6 each of all my
> yahoo emails from about a week past.  And I started getting
individual emails from this group.  I change my emails from daily
digest to special notice and I am still getting individual
emails...  Anyone know what is going on?  I changed to no emails to
see if that will help.  If not I am going to have to unjoin.
Thanks Annie

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 7
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Real player question

If you rightclick all the video links, do they all start with
http://scopes.real.com
  Try adding that to the Trusted Site list in your IE. Let us know what
results after you make that adjustment.
  It also seems from what you are telling us that your antispyware software
may be linked to your problem. Perhaps they think that the site you are
having a problem with is not trustworthy enough or maybe notorious for
spreading adware or spyware. I know I do not like real player and I do not
like any of their products becoz of what they used to do, install spyware.
Perhaps they no longer do that but I just do not trust companies like that
to change their spots overnight.

vitoscotti <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, casper <officialbizniz@...>
wrote:

Is the RealPlayer the problem here or Internet browser. You
mentioned "can't be found page pops in". Are you saying that you are
getting "The page cannot be found." error message when you click on
those video links at the page you posted? Can you replicate the
problem in Opera or Firefox?
Check your file associations:  In Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder
Options>File Types. Look for the Real Player entries.
*If* you disable you're firewall (20 seconds won't hurt) do you
still have the problem? You don't need to disable your, just punch
holes in it for certain protocols.
http://tinyurl.com/jzgkp
Can you post the exact error message you are getting when you
click the Real video links?

  vitoscotti <vitoscotti@...> wrote:
Hello this is my first post.I bought my first computer in Sept.2005. I've
been picking some knowledge up here & there as I go along. Still pretty
much a novice. One problem I haven't been able to solve is with my
realplayer at  http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm . This site
worked fine  the first 2 months then all of a sudden when I clicked the
audio or video links they can't be found page pops in.Maybe 6 or 7 of the
links work. My realplayer works fine everywhere else but here. I called the
site and they said everything is ok on their end. Friends and people on
other groups say they have no problems.Ive uninstalled & installed
realplayer with no results.Ive gone into the tools>properties on real
player to adjust how the realplayer reads a page with no results. Then all
of a sudden 2 weeks ago the site starts working fine. Then after a windows
or webroot spysweeper update the links stopped working again. It's got to
have something to do with the windows or
 spysweeper update,but Im not sure how to attack the problem.I do have a
firewall but I acquired it much after the problem began.

Here's the page that appears when I click the audio/video links
  The page cannot be displayed
  The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might
be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your
browser settings.

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it
is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then
click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The
settings should match those provided by your local area network
(LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can
set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically
discover network connection settings (if your network administrator
has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu
and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength
security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security
settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security
section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the  Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Still doesn't work with firewall disabled .Stopped working recently
when windows or spyware updated.On my tools on the top left of my
screen there isn't a folder option but a internet option that leads
to a temporary files choice.Is that where I should look into ?
I only have IE.Thanks for your concern & patience.

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 8
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 19:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Sounds like a hardware problem then as someone already suggested.

Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    no.

    From: Jim

    Howard,

    >The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.

    What does that mean, did XP get reinstalled? If not then they were not
run. They will only have effect if they reinstall XP, probably by
reformatting the c: partition.

    Jim

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 9
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:06:45 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Registry Mechanic

Registry Mechanic has gotten good reviews, however, my experience with all
registry cleaners including JV16 has been that they sometimes are a bit too
optimistic in what they identify as "not needed". The good ones always make
a backup though which allows you to undo the changes they made.

  As MS do not include a tool/utility in WINXP to 'clean' the Registry, it
would seem that MS do not believe maintenance of the Registry is required
although I think they endorse System Mechanic (a Registry cleaner), so they
appear to sit on the fence.

  A few words of advice when dealing with the Registry and Registry
cleaners:
Use a dependable backup program to backup your registry, do the cleaning,
reboot and test as many programs as you can. Do not make any other changes
to your setup until you are satisfied the clean-up registry does not cause
any problems. This way, if a problem pops up, just restore your registry.
DO NOT rely on system restore in this process.

John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hi there Gordon,

I use Registry Mechanic v 5.1.0.224, and have never had any problems with
it.

The only criticism I could have is that it is more conservative than a lot
of the of the other registry fix progrmams, and therefore can sometimes
overlook
what might be considered a problem.  This of course has an upside too, in
that it will never aggressively trash your computer. Sold by PC Tools which
is a well respected  company.

It does NOT find "false positives" so any error it has listed, is indeed an
error!

I recommend it.

Registry First Aid version 4.1.0 (Build 707) (I think is the latest), also
has a good reputation.

More aggressive than Registry Mechanic, but I have heard good reports about
it.

Perhaps a member who is curently using it would care to comment on it.

Cheers,

John Lehn

  Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry
Hi, is the above programme good ?
Ive ran it - & it fixed 20 or so problems.. however Ive got to register it
to fix 89+ other problems...
Is it useful / good to purchase / register ? - If so,I may register in the
next few weeks (Gotta find a computer folk with a credit card :) - so I can
pay them $$ & they can pay online)
are there any other good Registry cleaner programmes out there ?
(Win XP) - Ive seen a few - but all require registration / fees - to get a
working version...

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 10
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:29:53 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

It was casually mentioned a while back, but a VERY
good possibility is a bad power supply or a shorted
power connection wire.  When there is a failure in
power output, (due to power supply problem, shorted
wiring or a failing component that causes a voltage
loss) the powersupply/computer will automatically shut
down.

If the heat seaking solutions don't fix the problem,
suggest the following as a fault isolation effort:
1. Check ALL the wires FROM the power supply. Make
sure none of them are pinched by some component or
there are no bare spots in the insulation of the
wiring.

2.  If no problems in 1, disconnect the power
connectors to the floppy drive and cd/dvd ROM, or
slave harddrive.  This might isolate a bad unit that
is causing a power disturbance.

3.  If nothing in 1 or 2, and the heat solutions
didn't work, you may have to find someone with a spare
power supply who will temporarily install it for you
to check if that is the problem.

One final thought, did this problem start right after
you added some item to the computer?  Many computers
use power supplies that are only marginally adequate.
If other units (cd/dvd drives or another hard drive)
are added, the undersized power supply will
intermittently give up--which shuts down the computer.

Good Luck.

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 11
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 21:41:20 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Not all the con jobs come from technicians.  I was
having a problem with the XP in my new(er) HP.
Contacted HP tech support (in India). Went thru all
the checks, and when he ran out of items, he told me I
would just have to do a complete restore of the OS.
His explanation:

"There was some static buildup in the power supply
that corrupted the OS."

Maybe he knows more than I, but as an ex-electronics
eneginer I never heard of that phenomenon. And of
course he had no real basis. I believe he was giving
me a pacifier explanation to justify a complete
restore when they had no other solutions.

Estavi

--- "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I think they're scamming you.
>
> On or about 4/20/2006 12:42 PM, the one known as
> Howard was rumoured to
> have uttered...
> > No.
> > My wife`s puter has the same problem.
> >
> > We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter
> plaxces want.
> >
> > I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think
> its what`s called an
> > "imbedded" virus.
> >
> > They all said it can`t be found by conventional
> means.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:23:55 -0000
   From: "Melody" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help please

I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because I had
problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop and it
says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any way to
get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first turn on
laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal again?
and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody

Message: 13
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 05:42:47 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi
Unrelated to the question,but I just wanted
to thank you for the excellent word wrap of
your message.It's much easier to read this
way and more esthetically pleasing.
Rich S

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Estavi Meilu
<estavi2@...> wrote:

> It was casually mentioned a while back, but a VERY
> good possibility is a bad power supply or a shorted
> power connection wire.  When there is a failure in
> power output, (due to power supply problem, shorted
> wiring or a failing component that causes a voltage
> loss) the powersupply/computer will automatically shut
> down.
>
> If the heat seaking solutions don't fix the problem,
> suggest the following as a fault isolation effort:
> 1. Check ALL the wires FROM the power supply. Make
> sure none of them are pinched by some component or
> there are no bare spots in the insulation of the
> wiring.
>
> 2.  If no problems in 1, disconnect the power
> connectors to the floppy drive and cd/dvd ROM, or
> slave harddrive.  This might isolate a bad unit that
> is causing a power disturbance.
>
> 3.  If nothing in 1 or 2, and the heat solutions
> didn't work, you may have to find someone with a spare
> power supply who will temporarily install it for you
> to check if that is the problem.
>
> One final thought, did this problem start right after
> you added some item to the computer?  Many computers
> use power supplies that are only marginally adequate.
> If other units (cd/dvd drives or another hard drive)
> are added, the undersized power supply will
> intermittently give up--which shuts down the computer.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> Estavi

Message: 14
   Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:46:18 -0700
   From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help please

Hi Melody,
what kind of laptop is it?
Windows ? 98/ME/2000/XP

Do you now have the battery fully charged and pluged into the power block
to keep it charged up?

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 4/23/2006 at 5:23 AM Melody wrote:

I really screwed up...I tried to restore just back 1 day because I had
problems with instant messenger...well, in middle of restore the
battery died, power went out...now I try to log into my laptop and it
says shell.something is not there so it wont' even go to front
page...it's like a dead laptop...I'm so upset...I'm on a friends
computer...but I do my college work on my laptop...is there any way to
get in and back to normal? I can't find my CD's...I think they are
packed adn in storage...is there another way like when I first turn on
laptop hit F something and type on it to get it back to normal again?
and not lose all I had on it...sigh...Thanks, Melody

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 15
   Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:08:35 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Missing a necesary root certificate

Hello Rakesh:  Check the date on your computer.  It is
set for May 20, 2004.  the battery may be going bad.

Estavi

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here