[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1732

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 14:21:17 -0700

There are 19 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!
           From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Real player question
           From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. How to activate XP
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: How to activate XP
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. New member: Arron Cusimano
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:37:23 -0000
   From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!

I have installed Kerio and Have installed NOD32.

I ran these two test:

SHEILDS-UP TEST:
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-04-21 at 08:00:08

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Le\
akTest: Firewall Leakage Tester v1.2

said: Firewall Penetrated
LeakTest WAS ABLE to connect to
  the mais GRC.COM Web Server!

LeakTest was not prevented from
connecting to the Gibson Research web
server. You either have no firewall, you
have delibertly allowed LeakTest to
connect outbound, or (if neither of those),
LeakTest has just slipped past your
firewall's outbound "protection", if any.

Now, does the LeakTest mean anything?

If so, what do you all think?

Sheila

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 06:24:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: UPDATE ON FIREWALL & ANTI-VIRUS!

Hi,

Yes, the Leak Test revealed a vulnerability in your
firewall configuration.

I do not use Kerio, but I assume that there would be a
module that will allow you to set program permissions
in the firewall, and that is where you will need to
set the "Deny" (or similar wording) for the GR
Leaktest.

Then try again and the leaktest should not be able to
dial out....which means a successful test of your
firewall.

Hmmmmm, I thought that there was some advice on this
whenever you activate the Gibson Research Leaktest??

John Lehn

--- simplyrose2000 <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have installed Kerio and Have installed NOD32.
>
> I ran these two test:
>
> SHEILDS-UP TEST:
> GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2006-04-21
> at 08:00:08
>
> Results from scan of ports: 0-1055
>
> 0 Ports Open
> 0 Ports Closed
> 1056 Ports Stealth
> ---------------------
> 1056 Ports Tested
>
> ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.
>
> TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
> - NO unsolicited packets were received,
> - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------Le\
> akTest: Firewall Leakage Tester v1.2
>
> said: Firewall Penetrated
> LeakTest WAS ABLE to connect to
>   the mais GRC.COM Web Server!
>
> LeakTest was not prevented from
> connecting to the Gibson Research web
> server. You either have no firewall, you
> have delibertly allowed LeakTest to
> connect outbound, or (if neither of those),
> LeakTest has just slipped past your
> firewall's outbound "protection", if any.
>
> Now, does the LeakTest mean anything?
>
> If so, what do you all think?
>
> Sheila

> removed]

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:19:40 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Yup.the disk was formatted and the operating system was reinstalled.

These were disk ,(7),that HP sent us after we called and told them our
problem.
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 09:29:52 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>

Try Nod32 the best av on the market..--Phyllis

  From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
  Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

  Must be an HP.
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:40:03 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

  Must be an HP.

     How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
without warning and restarts?

     It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.

     I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
through to locate it.

     The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.

     Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
here know how to or what to do with the log?

     Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!

     Thanks In Advance,
     Sheila

  Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them
as well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

support
        Computer training  Free computer technical support  Computer
problems

Service.

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:21:25 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

And I don't like the canned air..They spit water as they blow the
air....--Phyllis

   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:35:56 -0000
   From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Real player question

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, casper
<officialbizniz@...> wrote:

> Is the RealPlayer the problem here or Internet browser. You
mentioned "can't be found page pops in". Are you saying that you are
getting "The page cannot be found." error message when you click on
those video links at the page you posted? Can you replicate the
problem in Opera or Firefox?
>   Check your file associations:  In Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder
Options>File
> Types. Look for the Real Player entries.
> *If* you disable you're firewall (20 seconds won't hurt) do you
still have the problem? You don't need to disable your, just punch
holes in it for certain protocols.
>   http://tinyurl.com/jzgkp
> Can you post the exact error message you are getting when you
click the Real video links?

> vitoscotti <vitoscotti@...> wrote:
>   Hello this is my first post.I bought my first computer in
> Sept.2005. I've been picking some knowledge up here & there as I
go
> along. Still pretty much a novice. One problem I haven't been able
> solve is with my realplayer at
> http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm . This site worked
fine
> the first 2 months then all of a sudden when I clicked the audio
or
> video links they can't be found page pops in.Maybe 6 or 7 of the
links
> work.My realplayer works fine everywhere else but here.I called
the
> site and they said everything is ok on their end.Friends and
people on
> other groups say they have no problems.Ive uninstalled & installed
> realplayer with no results.Ive gone into the tools>properties on
real
> player to adjust how the realplayer reads a page with no
results.Then
> all of a sudden 2 weeks ago the site starts working fine.Then
after a
> windows or webroot spysweeper update the links stopped working
> again.It's got to have something to do with the windows or
spysweeper
> update,but Im not sure how to attack the problem.I do have a
firewall
> but I acquired it much after the problem began.
>

> Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead,
treat them as well as you treat citizens and love them as much as
you love yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Here's the page that appears when I click the audio/video links  The
page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to
adjust your browser settings.

-----------

Please try the following:

Click the  Refresh button, or try again later.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it
is spelled correctly.

To check your connection settings, click the Tools menu, and then
click Internet Options. On the Connections tab, click Settings. The
settings should match those provided by your local area network
(LAN) administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
See if your Internet connection settings are being detected. You can
set Microsoft Windows to examine your network and automatically
discover network connection settings (if your network administrator
has enabled this setting).
Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
On the Connections tab, click LAN Settings.
Select Automatically detect settings, and then click OK.
Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help menu
and then click About Internet Explorer to determine what strength
security you have installed.
If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security
settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security
section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.
Click the  Back button to try another link.

Cannot find server or DNS Error
Internet Explorer
Still doesn't work with firewall disabled .Stopped working recently
when windows or spyware updated.On my tools on the top left of my
screen there isn't a folder option but a internet option that leads
to a temporary files choice.Is that where I should look into ?
I only have IE.Thanks for your concern & patience.

Message: 8

  >The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.

  What does that mean, did XP get reinstalled? If not then they were not
run. They will only have effect if they reinstall XP, probably by
reformatting the c: partition.

  Jim

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 9
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:50:49 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

No, that's not water, it's propellant, which evaporates quickly and does
no harm.  If you feel the can getting cold, stop for a while and let the
can return to room temperature. That way, you'll get the most efficient
use of the contents.

Tom

Phyllis Christian wrote:
> And I don't like the canned air..They spit water as they blow the
> air....--Phyllis

Message: 10
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:55:28 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Although we refer to "canned air," it really is compressed gases.

The liquid is the propellant -- the "air" -- and if it spits, that
means you need to hold the can upright.  Think of it as liquid gas
under pressure -- if you tilt the can, the liquid squirts out.  if
you hold it upright, the gas comes out.

Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 11:21 AM 4/21/2006, you wrote:
>And I don't like the canned air..They spit water as they blow the
>air....--Phyllis

Message: 11
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:14:36 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>

I bought them at Radio Shack and the clerk told me it was water..lol..I
threw them away..lol....--Phyllis

> No, that's not water, it's propellant, which evaporates quickly and does
> no harm.  If you feel the can getting cold, stop for a while and let the
> can return to room temperature. That way, you'll get the most efficient
> use of the contents.
>
> Tom
>
> Phyllis Christian wrote:
>> And I don't like the canned air..They spit water as they blow the
>> air....--Phyllis

Message: 12
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:24:00 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

no.

    >The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.

    What does that mean, did XP get reinstalled? If not then they were not
run. They will only have effect if they reinstall XP, probably by
reformatting the c: partition.

    Jim

  My Computer Headaches Forums
  http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
  The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

  My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
  .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Service.

Message: 13
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:36:46 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Howard,

>no.
>>  Howie, did reformatting the drive and reinstalling the OS fix the
>> problem?

If a reformat and resinstall of all your programs did not fix your problem
it is most likely a hardware problem. Head, bad memory, even bad spots on a
hard drive. There are several threads with similar shutdwon problems so I
haven't kept track of which is which, If you can find a memory tester, just
google for memory test, run that to make sure that you do not have bad ram
stick(s).  The best type is a bootable one that runs from a floppy or CD.

There are also programs that check out your hard drive completely. And of
course heat can be caused if the inside of your machine is filled with
dirt.
Some of whay I have said may be repeat since as I said, I haven't kept
track
of various reboot threads,

Jim

Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 15:49:40 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Phyllis,

>I bought them at Radio Shack and the clerk told me it was water..lol..I
> threw them away..lol...

The only thing you can count on an RS clerk to know is how to enter your
purchase into the cash register. Not anything against them, it's just that
RS does not hire people who know anything technical. If you find one that
does, it is an exception.

Jim

Message: 15
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: How to activate XP

Call Microsoft on the phone.

Microsoft Rep: "Have you used this copy of Windows on any other computer?"

You: "No. A virus wiped out my hard drive."

Microsoft Rep: "Here is your activation key. Thank you for using Microsoft."

You: "Thank you. Goodbye."

*click*

Steve
NH

Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:    At 11:05 AM
4/19/2006, you wrote:
 >I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home (well my
 >sister installed the windows)and now it keeps telling me I have so
 >many days to register it for activation. My sister registered it in my
 >name when she installed it! What should I do?

Message: 16
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 18:15:53 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

You are absolutely correct.

On or about 4/21/2006 3:49 PM, the one known as Jim was rumoured to have
uttered...
> Phyllis,
>
>> I bought them at Radio Shack and the clerk told me it was water..lol..I
>> threw them away..lol...
>
> The only thing you can count on an RS clerk to know is how to enter your
> purchase into the cash register. Not anything against them, it's just
that
> RS does not hire people who know anything technical. If you find one that
> does, it is an exception.
>
> Jim

Message: 17
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to activate XP

Very funny, Steve...hehe. Well here is a nice FAQ on Windows XP activation
(some responses are tongue-in-cheek):
According to the info found at the above link, they activation key is
generated by a computer at Microsoft, as a result of a "hardware hash," a
long sequence of numbers based on a information found in your computer's
hardware. The specific devices used are as follows:
   Display adapter
   SCSI adapter (if found)
   IDE adapter
   Network adapter MAC address (if available)
   RAM amount range
   Processor type
   Processor serial number
   Hard drive
   Hard drive volume serial number
   CD-ROM, CD-RW, or DVD-ROM
This ensures that one person's key will not work on another system.

The following info is from the article "How do I activate Windows XP from
the command line?" ( http://tinyurl.com/zgmse ):
  A. Windows XP will typically remind you to activate the product (most
users will have 30 days to activate XP after installation). To activate XP
manually, you can use the Start menu shortcut in the System Tools
Accessories folder. At the command prompt, type:

oobe/msoobe /a

In case you're wondering, msoobe stands for "Microsoft Out of Box
Experience."

  Direct from the horse's (Microsoft) mouth, here are more info on product
activation:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?H2D851FFC

  I would advise that you back up the two activation files that are
generated when you activate. You will need them in case you need to
reinstall Windows and having them will avoid you having to re-activate or
call MS again. The following info was taken from
http://kadaitcha.cx/activation.html :

(START) If you are going to do a repair installation, there are two files
named WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK. They are stored in the Windows\System32
directory. You can back these up, perform the repair installation of XP
then put these two files back into the Windows\System32 directory. If all
you have done is a repair installation, XP will be none the wiser. This
procedure is said to work on a clean installation, but others categorically
state this to be false.
  The Hard Drive Volume Serial Number is stored on the first sector of a
partition. If you format your boot partition for any reason, or convert
from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS, the Hard Drive Volume Serial Number will change.
Before you format, go to a command prompt and issue the Windows XP VOL
command (Start>Run>type cmd>hit Enter>type vol>hit Enter). You will get a
response similar to the following:
        Volume in drive C is Local Disk
  Volume Serial Number is 30ED-49F9
  In the above example, 30ED-49F9 is the volume serial number, or VSN.
Record it. To restore the VSN, download the volumeid.exe from
sysinternals.com ( http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBB/tip0700/rh0703.htm ) and run
it. Just give the small executable the old volume ID and you're done. You
will need to reboot if you have NTFS.
  Performing the above step is not critical, but it does preserve a yes
vote. It may come in handy if you want to avoid reactivation and you have
calculated from the information above that reactivation will be required
because of one additional component change.
  Finally, if you change your hard drive and reinstall XP to a different
partion, you will lose two yes votes. You can preserve one yes vote by
using the technique described above, but if you use imaging software, such
as PowerQuest Drive Image 2002, you can retain both yes votes by imaging
the drive, and either restoring XP to its original location or to a new
location and retaining the old hard disk as a backup. If you format the old
disk, it will lose its VSN and so you will lose a yes vote. This technique
works because because WPA checks all drives and partitions for the VSN it
is looking for. (END)

4/19/2006, you wrote:
>I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home (well my
>sister installed the windows)and now it keeps telling me I have so
>many days to register it for activation. My sister registered it in my
>name when she installed it! What should I do?

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 18
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 21:59:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Here are some explanation of Kerio's configuration settings:
http://www.hackfix.org/software/configure/tiny.html

If you are a member of MCH Forums, Sean posted an article on Kerio here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=13&st=0
It is a very good starting point to get more info on Kerio.

John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Hi,

---------------------
> 1056 Ports Tested
> ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

> TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
> - NO unsolicited packets were received,
> - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

  LeakTest: Firewall Leakage Tester v1.2
said: Firewall Penetrated LeakTest WAS ABLE to connect to  the mais GRC.COM
Web Server!
LeakTest was not prevented from connecting to the Gibson Research web
server. You either have no firewall, you have delibertly allowed LeakTest
to connect outbound, or (if neither of those), LeakTest has just slipped
past your firewall's outbound "protection", if any.
Now, does the LeakTest mean anything?
If so, what do you all think?
Sheila

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 19
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 22:04:38 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: New member: Arron Cusimano

Welcome to MCH Yahoo group, Arron! Your input would be most welcome here
and if we can help with some of your computer problems we will be glad to
help too. :)

Arron Cusimano <mordain23@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi, I'm a bit of a geek, I work for an Australian IT support company
catering to the SME market, but spend most of my time contracted out to our
large non-IT parent company, providing onsite desktop support to around 60
PC users, as well as other duties related to managing the sites IT needs. I
have worked as a IT Manager, Systems admin & test analyst. I am familiar
with Windows & Linux systems, and enjoy programming & scripting in many
languages. I'm here to maybe pick up a few tips, and maybe help out some
others.

  On 21 Apr 2006 02:39:36 -0000, mycomputerheadaches Moderator
<mycomputerheadaches-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx > wrote:
Hello, Welcome to My Computer Headaches (MCH for short). Just a reminder,
this group is moderated, no spam or links to illegal software sites
permitted! Respect other members. Remember we have members from all all
around the world, from different backgrounds, races and religions.
Insulting anyone in the group could result in either expulsion from the
group or temporary suspension of posting priveleges, depending on the
gravity of the infraction.
We would like you to be an ACTIVE member of MCH, rather than just be a
lurker. A short introduction is required by telling us a bit about yourself
& letting us know how much or little you know about computer technology as
an ice breaker. I hope your stay will not only be pleasant but very
informative.

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here