[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1731

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:35:24 -0700

There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Real player question
           From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Real player question
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Help?
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Help?
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: OT joke/  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: WYATT -  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: CASPER - PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: WinAntiVirus Pro 2006
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Help?
           From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: OT VIPPY
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:55:57 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Sheila,

> What is a "clip lead cable"? Do you buy it someplace special?

Radio Shack or any electronics store has them in kits with various colored
wires. I suppose you could use a length of stranded wire [for flexibility]
connecting one end to the computer case and perhaps wraping the other end
around the vacuum cleaner wand. The idea is just to have conducting path
between the wand and the case [with the cord plugged in so that the case is
grounded electrically] to prevent any build up of static electricity.

Jim

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:40:17 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Huh.  I'll keep my eyes open.

On or about 4/20/2006 8:32 PM, the one known as Howard was rumoured to
have uttered...
> I1ve heard lately that 4 different HP1s have had this problem.

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:58:58 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Haward,

>The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.

What does that mean, did XP get reinstalled? If not then they were not run.
They will only have effect if they reinstall XP, probably by reformatting
the c: partition.

Jim

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 02:22:33 -0000
   From: "vitoscotti" <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Real player question

Hello this is my first post.I bought my first computer in
Sept.2005.I've been picking some knowledge up here & there as I go
along.Still pretty much a novice.One problem I haven't been able to
solve is with my realplayer at
http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm .This site worked fine
the first 2 months then all of a sudden when I clicked the audio or
video links the can't be found page pops in.Maybe 6 or 7 of the links
work.My realplayer works fine everywhere else but here.I called the
site and they said everything is ok on their end.Friends and people on
other groups say they have no problems.Ive uninstalled & installed
realplayer with no results.Ive gone into the tools>properties on real
player to adjust how the realplayer reads a page with no results.Then
all of a sudden 2 weeks ago the site starts working fine.Then after a
windows or webroot spysweeper update the links stopped working
again.It's got to have something to do with the windows or spysweeper
update,but Im not sure how to attack the problem.I do have a firewall
but I acquired it much after the problem began.

Message: 5
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:49:21 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Howard & Shiela, some questions:

1. Does your PC shut down when you only open certain
programs/tasks/activities but not others? Can you identify which ones?

2. How soon in terms of minutes does it shut down after you turn it on?

3. Does the computer consistently turn off at approximately the same time
right after you turn it on?

4. Does the computer RE-START or just turn off without re-starting? If it
re-starts, maybe you will get some clues from this article:

  5. Shiela & Howard, which Windows version are you using? This is a very
important information we need to zero in on your problem.

  6. Does it shut off while you are using it, or after it has been sitting
untouched for a while?

  7. If you open the PC case and aim a running high-powered electric fan at
it while the PC is running, does the problem still persist?

  8. Does your PC sit where the sun's rays hit it or is it close to source
of heat? Is it close to a major home appliance? Does the back of your PC
abut the wall with little space in between?

  9. Have you tried plugging the PC to another outlet/part of the
house/room that is not associated/connected with the outlet that you are
using now? Move your PC to such a room and observe what happens.

  10. Are the cables inside the PC neatly dressed or bunched up and do not
impede proper or continuous air flow?

  11. How updated are you antivirus, Ad-Aware, Spybot, SpywareBlaster & MS
Windows Defender? Have you ran them in Safe Mode and see if they detect
anything nasty?

  12. Have you ran a memory test to see if this is a memory problem?

  13. Is the CPU fan running sluggishly? Compare with a CPU fan in a
working PC and see the diff. Can you hear the purring of the Power Supply
fan? Is the case fan running, if you have one?

  14. How dusty is it inside your PC?

  15. Are you using an INTEL CPU? Amd?

  16. Did you recently install XP's SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878474

  There are drives that turn themselves off when they get too hot.
  If you are using an insufficient power supply (low wattage) and you are
stressing it beyond its limits (due to new hardware, devices, multi-tasking
etc), your PC will reboot or shut down. Your PS wattage rating? Please post
it.

  This is a very long thread but be patient in combing for info. You just
might find your solution there:
Computer shuts down randomly
http://shorterlink.com/?3VJ4X0

If you are using Windows XP, this site is superb:
Windows XP Boot Problems & Edits
  http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_restart.htm

The list of causes causing random shutdowns is pretty long as you can see.
We need more info to go on.

Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      Believe me,we`ve tried everything!

  No luck.
From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

Must be an HP.

   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:26:33 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Real player question

Is the RealPlayer the problem here or Internet browser. You mentioned
"can't be found page pops in". Are you saying that you are getting "The
page cannot be found." error message when you click on those video links at
the page you posted? Can you replicate the problem in Opera or Firefox?
  Check your file associations:  In Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder
Options>File
Types. Look for the Real Player entries.
*If* you disable you're firewall (20 seconds won't hurt) do you still have
the problem? You don't need to disable your, just punch holes in it for
certain protocols.
  http://tinyurl.com/jzgkp
Can you post the exact error message you are getting when you click the
Real video links?

vitoscotti <vitoscotti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hello this is my first post.I bought my first computer in
Sept.2005. I've been picking some knowledge up here & there as I go
along. Still pretty much a novice. One problem I haven't been able to
solve is with my realplayer at
http://www.prophecyclub.com/streaming_audio.htm . This site worked fine
the first 2 months then all of a sudden when I clicked the audio or
video links they can't be found page pops in.Maybe 6 or 7 of the links
work.My realplayer works fine everywhere else but here.I called the
site and they said everything is ok on their end.Friends and people on
other groups say they have no problems.Ive uninstalled & installed
realplayer with no results.Ive gone into the tools>properties on real
player to adjust how the realplayer reads a page with no results.Then
all of a sudden 2 weeks ago the site starts working fine.Then after a
windows or webroot spysweeper update the links stopped working
again.It's got to have something to do with the windows or spysweeper
update,but Im not sure how to attack the problem.I do have a firewall
but I acquired it much after the problem began.

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 7
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Can you install the program in Safe Mode?

Howard <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Just insatlling the programs will cause a reboot,usually before
its fully installed.
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:54:04 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Help?

HI Everyone, I am new and have a problem with my laptop...I keep getting a
window installer box popping up saying preparing to install...it slows me
down and keeps popping up...is there any way to stop that? What happened
was due to some stuff going on with my laptop I did a system
restore...well, that didn't help...and caused the installer box to pop up
everytime I come online...I have window xp...Hope someone can help...let me
know if there are any more info you need...Thanks so much, Melody

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Help?

I think the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility from Microsoft maybe able to
help you:
  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
  There were two versions of the Windows Installer Clean Up Utility:
  Msicu.exe - for Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98
Msicuu.exe - for Windows NT. This version works correctly in ALL 32-bit
versions of
Windows.

"Melody (Little Wolf)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    HI Everyone, I am new and have a problem with my laptop...I keep
getting a window installer box popping up saying preparing to install...it
slows me down and keeps popping up...is there any way to stop that? What
happened was due to some stuff going on with my laptop I did a system
restore...well, that didn't help...and caused the installer box to pop up
everytime I come online...I have window xp...Hope someone can help...let me
know if there are any more info you need...

  Thanks so much,
  Melody

Message: 10
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:35:48 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OT joke/  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Mike, was it a nice trip? heheh

Mike the mod <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Hi folks,
(NOT SERIOUS)
I use nitros oxide left over from my racing days to blow off my computer.

I don't recall if it works or not, I can't remember anything<BG>

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 4/20/2006 at 5:59 PM Sheila Perkins wrote:

Great but scarry info Wyatt!

I am gonna vacumme this thing and wait till it just dies on me I guess.

I ain't about to pay a tech with this thing, as I said before, can't stand
compaq for many reasons and many issues.

But you did give me some important and torturous info......lol

Thanks Wyatt!!!!!!

From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500

If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
warm.

A computer that runs hot can have several of these problems in small
doses, causing the machine to get hot, but not showing you any one thing
that stands out as the cause.  Some computers, via poor design, don't
have the ventilation and the fans arranged in such a way that the air
blows across the hot parts.

Don't look in just one place for heat problems, because the symptoms
indicate this is what you have.  Imbedded virus?  Hehehe.  Not likely or
even probable.

On or about 4/20/2006 1:16 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Too Bad!
>
> Have you tried what Terry and Casper and Chris said to do on this issue?
>
> If you haven't I would, that's what I am gonna try. Get the dust out of
this
> baby, safely I hope.
>
> Sheila

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 11
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WYATT -  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

I think the likelihood of having a disaster using the vaccuum as opposed to
using compressed air is much more. I understand Jim's concerns though. You
can also use a straw and blow air at a specific part of the computer where
dust is concentrated. Remember, blow air and not suck it in...hehe

From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500

If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
warm.

A computer that runs hot can have several of these problems in small
doses, causing the machine to get hot, but not showing you any one thing
that stands out as the cause.  Some computers, via poor design, don't
have the ventilation and the fans arranged in such a way that the air
blows across the hot parts.

Don't look in just one place for heat problems, because the symptoms
indicate this is what you have.  Imbedded virus?  Hehehe.  Not likely or
even probable.

On or about 4/20/2006 1:16 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Too Bad!
>
> Have you tried what Terry and Casper and Chris said to do on this issue?
>
> If you haven't I would, that's what I am gonna try. Get the dust out of
this
> baby, safely I hope.
>
> Sheila
>

> From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [MCH] HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:42:36 -0400
>
> No.
> My wife`s puter has the same problem.
>
> We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.
>
> I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
> "imbedded" virus.
>
> They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

Message: 12
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:53:34 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CASPER - PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Sheila, you can use brush on anything non-electronics like the fan, or the
power supply enclosure but do not use brush on electronic components like
the memory or the motherboard which may contain static-sensitive chips.
Brushes do produce static electricity.

Sheila Perkins <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Casper,
How would I know what not or to use the brush on?
Do you mean on any metal little things but ok on case and fan area?
What about on the heatsink?

Sorry, I am just a dummy about opening this thing up. I do prefer the
vacumming, it is a plastic component, no metal on the handle or hose. I
have
OCD and would really dread blowing dust all over the place when I have an
extreme fear of germs and contamination and dirt.

Thanks Casper
Note To All:
You all have been treating my issues like I am family, I appreciate and
Thank You ALL for your hard work and help.

Sheila

From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:50:05 -0500

Casper,

>OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum.

Actually it is not automatically a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Nor
is
a small paint brush bad. In fact they can be used quite effectivly
together.
Use a non metalic crevass  tool and a small 1" paint brush. Carefullly
brush
the components with the brush while holding the cravass too close but not
touching any componente. The fans and other non delicate areas can be
vacuumed directly but may also need the paint brush.

Jim

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:55:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

Kerio is very good.

simplyrose2000 <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Does anyone know anything about this product?

The Link is: http://winantivirus.com/?aid=ms_ad&lid=firewall

if anyone does know, would you let me know if it is good or bad and
simple to use?

I am desparate folks, I have no anti-virus or firewall, except window,
downloading Kerio though.

Every second I am on here it scares me to death!

Sheila

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 14
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:08:31 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Melody \(Little Wolf\)" <little_wolf_melody@xxxxxxxxx>

Thank you so much...I have windows 2000...and it worked...I luckily knew
enough to know which one to delete...I had tried to get rid of PSP 10
(X)...I have 9 with the computer and downloaded 10...it made my laptop run
so slow...so I took it out and I guess after doing a restore it brought
part of it back...now it's gone completely...and no more install pop
up...Thanks so much! I really appreciated the help...Melody

K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:  I think the Windows Installer CleanUp
[...]

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

---------------------------------

Message: 15
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 01:46:15 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OT VIPPY

thanks, I have d/l'd that and will give it a try.

  MW

Rich S <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  This is very cool!
Small and doesn't mess with anything else.

"Do you find it hard to locate your cursor, and mark the insertion
point in your documents? You're not the only one. That's why you'll
love Vippy, the mouse pointer you can't lose, because it's red. The
difference is clear."

It's easy to install and uninstall, works for all Windows applications,
and it's free.

Author has other MS Office/Word add-ons that look interesting(not free).

Take a look here:

http://officeboosters.com/vippy.htm

Rich S

See the self help page here