[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1730

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:47:03 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: CASPER - PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      9. Re: WYATT -  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. OT joke/  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: WYATT -  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:35:42 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

I'm not Howard, but Dells and HP's are doing an awesome job for my users
and me.

On or about 4/20/2006 7:01 AM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Nope - Compaq!
> I hate it!!!!!!
>
> Don't know what to buy when I replace it.
>
> Any ideas Howard?
>

> From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400
>
> Must be an HP.

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:34:04 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

How did you come to that conclusion?  I've never had an HP do this.

On or about 4/20/2006 6:46 AM, the one known as Howard was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Must be an HP.

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:47:02 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

I think they're scamming you.

On or about 4/20/2006 12:42 PM, the one known as Howard was rumoured to
have uttered...
> No.
> My wife`s puter has the same problem.
>
> We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.
>
> I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
> "imbedded" virus.
>
> They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:55:20 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Can't be found by conventional means?  What do they use, voodoo? Diving
rods? Channeling? Elves? A contact in the spirit world?  Yeah, sounds
like a scam or techs that have no business being techs.

Tom

Wyatt M. Portendt wrote:
> I think they're scamming you.
>
> On or about 4/20/2006 12:42 PM, the one known as Howard was rumoured to
> have uttered...
>> No.
>> My wife`s puter has the same problem.
>>
>> We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.
>>
>> I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
>> "imbedded" virus.
>>
>> They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

Message: 5
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
warm.

A computer that runs hot can have several of these problems in small
doses, causing the machine to get hot, but not showing you any one thing
that stands out as the cause.  Some computers, via poor design, don't
have the ventilation and the fans arranged in such a way that the air
blows across the hot parts.

Don't look in just one place for heat problems, because the symptoms
indicate this is what you have.  Imbedded virus?  Hehehe.  Not likely or
even probable.

On or about 4/20/2006 1:16 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...

Message: 6
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:06:08 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CASPER - PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Casper,
How would I know what not or to use the brush on?
Do you mean on any metal little things but ok on case and fan area?
What about on the heatsink?

Sorry, I am just a dummy about opening this thing up. I do prefer the
vacumming, it is a plastic component, no metal on the handle or hose. I
have
OCD and would really dread blowing dust all over the place when I have an
extreme fear of germs and contamination and dirt.

Thanks Casper
Note To All:
You all have been treating my issues like I am family, I appreciate and
Thank You ALL for your hard work and help.

Sheila

From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:50:05 -0500

Casper,

 >OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum.

Actually it is not automatically a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Nor
is
a small paint brush bad. In fact they can be used quite effectivly
together.
Use a non metalic crevass  tool and a small 1" paint brush. Carefullly
brush
the components with the brush while holding the cravass too close but not
touching any componente. The fans and other non delicate areas can be
vacuumed directly but may also need the paint brush.

Jim

Message: 7
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:18:44 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

Maybe if I start using that whole embedded virus thing, I can get a
raise.  <G>  Maybe they find it by laying hands on it and waiting for
divination.

On or about 4/20/2006 3:55 PM, the one known as T. Hunt was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Can't be found by conventional means?  What do they use, voodoo? Diving
> rods? Channeling? Elves? A contact in the spirit world?  Yeah, sounds
> like a scam or techs that have no business being techs.
>
> Tom
>
> Wyatt M. Portendt wrote:
>> I think they're scamming you.
>>
>> On or about 4/20/2006 12:42 PM, the one known as Howard was rumoured to
>> have uttered...
>>> No.
>>> My wife`s puter has the same problem.
>>>
>>> We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.
>>>
>>> I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
>>> "imbedded" virus.
>>>
>>> They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

Message: 8
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:58:00 +0000
   From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

     I figured this is a good time to interject another possible solution
we have not seemed to consider yet:

     Could be bad or defective motherboard set of capacitors {remember this
issue of yesteryear?}. Especially if the computer is 3-4 years old. This
trouble gives the same indications as an overheated system.

     How do I know? I just repaired a customer's computer with these same
indications, constant reboots, powering off unexpectedly, et cetera.
Checked the motherboard and found four bloated capacitors and one burst
capacitor. This a Gigabyte GA7-ZXE motherboard. I replaced the motherboard
with the same model and all is well.

     For those of us not familiar with this, some three to five years ago,
multiple name brand motherboard manufacturers went to a "low cost" provider
of capacitors that turned out to be anything but quality. After a year or
so of service, they went "belly up".

     Could be worth looking at your motherboard mounted capacitors and see
if any looked swelled or burst.

Kind regards,
Christopher J. Spilker

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 17:59:08 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WYATT -  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Great but scarry info Wyatt!

I am gonna vacumme this thing and wait till it just dies on me I guess.

I ain't about to pay a tech with this thing, as I said before, can't stand
compaq for many reasons and many issues.

But you did give me some important and torturous info......lol

Thanks Wyatt!!!!!!

From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MCH] HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500

If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
warm.

A computer that runs hot can have several of these problems in small
doses, causing the machine to get hot, but not showing you any one thing
that stands out as the cause.  Some computers, via poor design, don't
have the ventilation and the fans arranged in such a way that the air
blows across the hot parts.

Don't look in just one place for heat problems, because the symptoms
indicate this is what you have.  Imbedded virus?  Hehehe.  Not likely or
even probable.

On or about 4/20/2006 1:16 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
 > Too Bad!
 >
 > Have you tried what Terry and Casper and Chris said to do on this issue?
 >
 > If you haven't I would, that's what I am gonna try. Get the dust out of
this
 > baby, safely I hope.
 >
 > Sheila
 >

 > From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 > To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 > Subject: Re: [MCH] HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
 > Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:42:36 -0400
 >
 > No.
 > My wife`s puter has the same problem.
 >
 > We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.
 >
 > I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
 > "imbedded" virus.
 >
 > They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

Message: 10
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:05:41 -0700
   From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OT joke/  PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Hi folks,
(NOT SERIOUS)
I use nitros oxide left over from my racing days to blow off my computer.

I don't recall if it works or not, I can't remember anything<BG>

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500

If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
warm.

A computer that runs hot can have several of these problems in small
doses, causing the machine to get hot, but not showing you any one thing
that stands out as the cause.  Some computers, via poor design, don't
have the ventilation and the fans arranged in such a way that the air
blows across the hot parts.

Don't look in just one place for heat problems, because the symptoms
indicate this is what you have.  Imbedded virus?  Hehehe.  Not likely or
even probable.

On or about 4/20/2006 1:16 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
 > Too Bad!
 >
 > Have you tried what Terry and Casper and Chris said to do on this issue?
 >
 > If you haven't I would, that's what I am gonna try. Get the dust out of
this
 > baby, safely I hope.
 >
 > Sheila

Message: 11
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:07:11 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Interesting!

Where do I find this "Automatically
Restart on Errors" setting UNchecked"?

I will check that out if I just knew where that setting is.

Could you tell me where?

Thanks, Sheila

From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:07:44 -0400

Actually, it IS pretty much a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Why?
Because a vacuum cleaner generates a tremendous amount of static
electricity at the nozzle and this is sufficient to fry many of the
components on the motherboard. A vacuum cleaner can also suck up loose
jumpers, which will change settings on the motherboard and may render
the system un bootable.

If you're going to use a vacuum cleaner, get one of the specially made
one for cleaning electronics.  Otherwise, use canned air.  Do not use an
air compressor UNLESS it has a dryer specifically made to remove all
particles, oil and water from the air. Dryers for automotive shops are
NT capable of cleaning the air sufficiently for computer work.

Small chip brushes, 1" and 1½", are great for dislodging dust and crud.
   Then use the canned air to blow it out of the case.  I recommend that
you do this outdoors as you don't want the dust to get sucked right back
inside the system.

As for the system restarting without warning, is the "Automatically
Restart on Errors" setting UNchecked?  That would be the first place to
check as this is turned ON by default.

Tom

Jim wrote:
 > Casper,
 >
 >> OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum.
 >
 > Actually it is not automatically a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner.
Nor
is a small paint brush bad. In fact they can be used quite effectivly
together. Use a non metalic crevass  tool and a small 1" paint brush.
Carefullly brush the components with the brush while holding the cravass
too
close but not touching any componente. The fans and other non delicate
areas
can be vacuumed directly but may also need the paint brush.

 > Jim

Message: 12
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:13:10 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

WinKey + Pause/Break>system properties>advanced tab>startup and
recovery>settings>system failure>auto restart (uncheck)

  MW

From: "T. Hunt"
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:07:44 -0400

[...]

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:19:17 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It was checked and I UNCHECKED it but then something popped up about going
intocomputer management >clicking Services>clickin ALERTER  for alerts to
be
enabled to start it.

Don't know what that was all about. there was no alerter anywhere in there
to be found.

Under Alerts in another catagory, it was empty :0

Is it anything to worry about?

Thanks,
Sheila

   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:49:52 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Howard,

>We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.

Then you probably can't afford to own a computer. :-)

>I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
"imbedded" virus.

Well, they can tell you anything since you will not give them your
business. I am always suspicious when people blame computer problems on a
virus. At leas if the user has Anti Virus software.  In this case I'd guess
that they just want to scare you into using their service.

Here's a solution that may not solve the problem but definitely will
eliimate a virus as the problem. Run your emergency rescue disks [or choose
the factory restore option if you have no disks, they have put the rescue
files on a separeate partition for the past few years to save the cost of
the disk. If you have a cd or dvd burner you can create rescue disk(s)
strongly recommended in case you have a bad crash that won't allow you to
get to the on board rescue.

Of course you need to back up any files created since you got the computer
AND you will also need to reinstall any programs installed since then.

Jim

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 15
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:57:46 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Tom,

> Actually, it IS pretty much a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Why?
> Because a vacuum cleaner generates a tremendous amount of static

Easy to solve, connect a clip lead cable, one end on the vac. tool, the
other on the case of the computer, with it plugged in or course. I have
never obseved any static when I have used a vac. Another solution is one of
those small battrery operated vacuums, they are fairly low volume. I
personally don't think that a regular vac will generate enough static to do
harm. Just don't touch the tool on any component.

> A vacuum cleaner can also suck up loose jumpers,

Just check the jumpers before or while vacuuming.

> As for the system restarting without warning, is the "Automatically
> Restart on Errors" setting UNchecked?  That would be the first place to
> check as this is turned ON by default.

Well, mine is the one restarting and it does not have the auto restart
checked.

Jim

Message: 16
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:43:56 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Chris,

>     Could be bad or defective motherboard set of capacitors {remember
this
> issue of yesteryear?}. Especially if the computer is 3-4 years old. This
> trouble gives the same indications as an overheated system.

I have owned many computers, somewhere in the range of ten or twelve. None
ever had a problem with any mother board. Electroylytics have been improved
remarkably, although they did once have a bad rep. I think one reason is
that most electronics do not have high voltage power supplies any longer.
And those that use high voltage use high frequency switching supplies, good
by 'lytics.

>     How do I know? I just repaired a customer's computer with these same
> indications, constant reboots, powering off unexpectedly, et cetera.
> Checked the motherboard and found four bloated capacitors and one burst
> capacitor. This a Gigabyte GA7-ZXE motherboard. I replaced the
motherboard
> with the same model and all is well.

O have seen a couple of messages about this kind of problem, but this would
only be two incidents that I ever heard of. I have not seen a bad
electrolytic in decades. Oh, I saw one, but it was one that I created. I
was
building product that had not use been mass produced and I installed one
electrolytic capacitor in backwords. The cap did get warm and blew up. But
the only debris inside the device was fuzz. I replaced the cap and the
thing
worked fine.  I'm not saying that bad capacitors is impossible, but it is
extremely unlikely in my opinion. And once the cap swelled I think that the
board would not just spontaneously reboot, it would just not run at all.
Just my informed opinion.

Jim

Message: 17
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:55:53 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Jim,

What is a "clip lead cable"? Do you buy it someplace special?

Thanks,
Sheila

From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 15:57:46 -0500

Tom,

 > Actually, it IS pretty much a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Why?
 > Because a vacuum cleaner generates a tremendous amount of static

Easy to solve, connect a clip lead cable, one end on the vac. tool, the
other on the case of the computer, with it plugged in or course. I have
never obseved any static when I have used a vac. Another solution is one of
those small battrery operated vacuums, they are fairly low volume. I
personally don't think that a regular vac will generate enough static to do
harm. Just don't touch the tool on any component.

 > A vacuum cleaner can also suck up loose jumpers,

Just check the jumpers before or while vacuuming.

 > As for the system restarting without warning, is the "Automatically
 > Restart on Errors" setting UNchecked?  That would be the first place to
 > check as this is turned ON by default.

Well, mine is the one restarting and it does not have the auto restart
checked.

Jim

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 18
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:29:59 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Believe me,we`ve tried everything!

No luck.
      From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

      Must be an HP.
[...]

Message: 19
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:32:06 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I1ve heard lately that 4 different HP1s have had this problem.
  I'm not Howard, but Dells and HP's are doing an awesome job for my users
  and me.

  On or about 4/20/2006 7:01 AM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
  rumoured to have uttered...
  > Nope - Compaq!
  > I hate it!!!!!!
  >
  > Don't know what to buy when I replace it.
  >
  > Any ideas Howard?
  >

  > From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  > To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  > Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
  > Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400
  >
  > Must be an HP.

Message: 20
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:53:36 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.
  >We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.

  Then you probably can't afford to own a computer. :-)

  >I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
"imbedded" virus.

  Well, they can tell you anything since you will not give them your
business. I am always suspicious when people blame computer problems on a
virus. At leas if the user has Anti Virus software.  In this case I'd guess
that they just want to scare you into using their service.

  Here's a solution that may not solve the problem but definitely will
eliimate a virus as the problem. Run your emergency rescue disks [or choose
the factory restore option if you have no disks, they have put the rescue
files on a separeate partition for the past few years to save the cost of
the disk. If you have a cd or dvd burner you can create rescue disk(s)
strongly recommended in case you have a bad crash that won't allow you to
get to the on board rescue.

  Of course you need to back up any files created since you got the
computer AND you will also need to reinstall any programs installed since
then.

  Jim

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Service.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 21
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:59:21 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By the way.

When the puter does run,running any program,including Zone alarm,causes the
puter to shut down and reboot.

Antivirus programs ,same thing.

Spybot,every time its initiated.

She hasn`t gotten a full scan from Spybot in about 2 months now.
  The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.
    >We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.

    Then you probably can't afford to own a computer. :-)

    >I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
"imbedded" virus.

    Well, they can tell you anything since you will not give them your
business. I am always suspicious when people blame computer problems on a
virus. At leas if the user has Anti Virus software.  In this case I'd guess
that they just want to scare you into using their service.

    Here's a solution that may not solve the problem but definitely will
eliimate a virus as the problem. Run your emergency rescue disks [or choose
the factory restore option if you have no disks, they have put the rescue
files on a separeate partition for the past few years to save the cost of
the disk. If you have a cd or dvd burner you can create rescue disk(s)
strongly recommended in case you have a bad crash that won't allow you to
get to the on board rescue.

    Of course you need to back up any files created since you got the
computer AND you will also need to reinstall any programs installed since
then.

    Jim

    ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Service.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 22
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:00:41 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Just insatlling the programs will cause a reboot,usually before its fully
installed.

    The restore disks have been run 3  or 4 times with no effect.
      >We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.

      Then you probably can't afford to own a computer. :-)

      >I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called
an "imbedded" virus.

      Well, they can tell you anything since you will not give them your
business. I am always suspicious when people blame computer problems on a
virus. At leas if the user has Anti Virus software.  In this case I'd guess
that they just want to scare you into using their service.

      Here's a solution that may not solve the problem but definitely will
eliimate a virus as the problem. Run your emergency rescue disks [or choose
the factory restore option if you have no disks, they have put the rescue
files on a separeate partition for the past few years to save the cost of
the disk. If you have a cd or dvd burner you can create rescue disk(s)
strongly recommended in case you have a bad crash that won't allow you to
get to the on board rescue.

      Of course you need to back up any files created since you got the
computer AND you will also need to reinstall any programs installed since
then.

      Jim

  ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

support
        Computer training  Free computer technical support  Computer
problems

Service.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 23
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:12:34 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'd go back to basics: Remove everything except the memory and a floppy
drive along with the video and keyboard and then run an exhaustive
memory test.  If that shows nothing, run a full diagnostic on the
harddrive.  Try a different power supply and then reconnect everything,
one thing at a time until the problem reappears.  If the system won't
even run a full memory test, I'd try the memory in a different motherboard.

A frustrating problem but you need to start isolating components one by one.

Tom

Message: 24
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:32:46 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

Not so scary.  More likely it is a single problem out of the list.  My
point was not to limit the scope of your search.

On or about 4/20/2006 4:59 PM, the one known as Sheila Perkins was
rumoured to have uttered...
> Great but scarry info Wyatt!
>
> I am gonna vacumme this thing and wait till it just dies on me I guess.
>
> I ain't about to pay a tech with this thing, as I said before, can't
stand
> compaq for many reasons and many issues.
>
> But you did give me some important and torturous info......lol
>
> Thanks Wyatt!!!!!!
>

> From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [MCH] HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
> Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:00:29 -0500
>
> If it is a heat problem, and it most likely is, it could arise from
> numerous causes.  The power supply could be a culprit OR just the fan on
> the power supply.  There could be dust/hair/etc. clogging the
> ventilation holes.  A case fan could be failing.  The ribbon cables for
> the drives could be fully blocking airflow.  The fan blade could be
> slipping on the shaft making it appear the fan is running but not giving
> optimum airflow.  The computer may be in a place where the hot air can't
> get away because it is enclosed in a cabinet or too close to where the
> fans exhaust.  Sometimes, in rare cases, there can be stress cracks on
> the motherboard or other cards that only show up when the computer gets
> warm.

Message: 25
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 19:43:56 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Chris,

>     Could be bad or defective motherboard set of capacitors {remember
this
> issue of yesteryear?}. Especially if the computer is 3-4 years old. This
> trouble gives the same indications as an overheated system.

I have owned many computers, somewhere in the range of ten or twelve. None
ever had a problem with any mother board. Electroylytics have been improved
remarkably, although they did once have a bad rep. I think one reason is
that most electronics do not have high voltage power supplies any longer.
And those that use high voltage use high frequency switching supplies, good
by 'lytics.

>     How do I know? I just repaired a customer's computer with these same
> indications, constant reboots, powering off unexpectedly, et cetera.
> Checked the motherboard and found four bloated capacitors and one burst
> capacitor. This a Gigabyte GA7-ZXE motherboard. I replaced the
motherboard
> with the same model and all is well.

O have seen a couple of messages about this kind of problem, but this would
only be two incidents that I ever heard of. I have not seen a bad
electrolytic in decades. Oh, I saw one, but it was one that I created. I
was
building product that had not use been mass produced and I installed one
electrolytic capacitor in backwords. The cap did get warm and blew up. But
the only debris inside the device was fuzz. I replaced the cap and the
thing
worked fine.  I'm not saying that bad capacitors is impossible, but it is
extremely unlikely in my opinion. And once the cap swelled I think that the
board would not just spontaneously reboot, it would just not run at all.
Just my informed opinion.

Jim

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch