[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1729

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:20:58 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. OT VIPPY
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Any Firewall Recommendations?
           From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      5. Yahoo downloading 3 - 6 of each email into outlook!!
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
      6. Registry Mechanic
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Any Firewall Recommendations?
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. WinAntiVirus Pro 2006
           From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Any Firewall Recommendations?
           From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: Registry Mechanic
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Carl Winchester <carlsjc95125@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: WinAntiVirus Pro 2006
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:43:20 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OT VIPPY

This is very cool!
Small and doesn't mess with anything else.

"Do you find it hard to locate your cursor, and mark the insertion
point in your documents? You're not the only one. That's why you'll
love Vippy, the mouse pointer you can't lose, because it's red. The
difference is clear."

It's easy to install and uninstall, works for all Windows applications,
and it's free.

Author has other MS Office/Word add-ons that look interesting(not free).

Take a look here:

http://officeboosters.com/vippy.htm

Rich S

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Must be an HP.
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:01:18 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOWARD PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

Nope - Compaq!
I hate it!!!!!!

Don't know what to buy when I replace it.

Any ideas Howard?

From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

Must be an HP.
[...]

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:55:50 +0000
   From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Any Firewall Recommendations?

Shelia,

     My PERSONAL recommendations are:

     Firewall: Sygate Persoanl Firewall {free}, at

http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=sygate

     Use version 5.5.x for Windows 9x and version 5.6x for Windows 2000 &
XP. PLEASE BE AWARE THAT SYGATE HAS BEEN BOUGHT OUT BY SYMANTEC SOME MONTHS
AGO and I do not believe the Sygate versions are supported anymore. Sygate
requires free registration after it is installed and that feature still
works.

     Antivirus: Grisoft AVG Free version, at:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

     I use this for all my computers and have no troubles, save for some
delay in getting updates {a few minutes to a few hours}.

     Good luck to you. Others on this list may have more choices.

Kind regards,
Christopher J. Spilker

From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite Paid for version, but it
> has been doing something bad to my PC.
>
> Sometimes when I shut down for the night, I will turn the Pc on the
> next day and I get only the SAFE MODE screen.
>
> I know it is zone alarm, because the first time it happened I tried
> everything possible that I could try to get my Login Screen. Last
> thing I thought to try was to uninstall and get rid of everything from
> zone alarm and zone labs, even through the Registry.
>
> When I rebooted, my login screen was back. I reinstalled it fresh and,
> after several days, I turned it on and the safe mode screen was back.
> This time I knew what to try first, so I uninstalled zone alarm.
> WaLah, login screen was back.
>
> I prefer a free one as I am on a limited income and disabled with 2
> children.
>
> Any easy to use ones out there?
> If I had to pay, are there any simple ones that pretty much does
> everything in the back ground?
>
> Thanks All,
> Sheila
>
> P.S. I need the same thing in an Anti-Virus as well with the same
> criteria, I would appreciated any info on both.
>
> Thanks Again and In Advance to anyone who can help me!

Message: 5
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 04:52:20 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Yahoo downloading 3 - 6 of each email into outlook!!

does anyone know why this is happening?  Thanks Annie

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:12:26 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Registry Mechanic

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry

Hi, is the above programme good ?

Ive ran it - & it fixed 20 or so problems.. however Ive got to
register it to fix 89+ other problems...

Is it useful / good to purchase / register ? - If so,I may register in
the next few weeks (Gotta find a computer folk with a credit card :) -
so I can pay them $$ & they can pay online)

are there any other good Registry cleaner programmes out there ?

(Win XP) - Ive seen a few - but all require registration / fees - to
get a working version...

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 7
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 08:41:58 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thank You Chris

   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Registry Mechanic

Hi there Gordon,

I use Registry Mechanic v 5.1.0.224, and have never
had any problems with it.

The only criticism I could have is that it is more
conservative than a lot of the of the other registry
fix progrmams, and therefore can sometimes overlook
what might be considered a problem.  This of course
has an upside too, in that it will never aggressively
trash your computer. Sold by PC Tools which is a well
respected  company.

It does NOT find "false positives" so any error it has
listed, is indeed an error!

I recommend it.

Registry First Aid version 4.1.0 (Build 707) (I think
is the latest), also has a good reputation.

More aggressive than Registry Mechanic, but I have
heard good reports about it.

Perhaps a member who is curently using it would care
to comment on it.

Cheers,

John Lehn
--- Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry

> Hi, is the above programme good ?
>
> Ive ran it - & it fixed 20 or so problems.. however
> Ive got to
> register it to fix 89+ other problems...
>
> Is it useful / good to purchase / register ? - If
> so,I may register in
> the next few weeks (Gotta find a computer folk with
> a credit card :) -
> so I can pay them $$ & they can pay online)
>
> are there any other good Registry cleaner programmes
> out there ?
>
> (Win XP) - Ive seen a few - but all require
> registration / fees - to
> get a working version...
>
> --
> Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
> http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
> NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 06:08:23 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi there Gordon,

I use Registry Mechanic v 5.1.0.224, and have never
had any problems with it.

The only criticism I could have is that it is more
conservative than a lot of the of the other registry
fix progrmams, and therefore can sometimes overlook
what might be considered a problem.  This of course
has an upside too, in that it will never aggressively
trash your computer. Sold by PC Tools which is a well
respected  company.

It does NOT find "false positives" so any error it has
listed, is indeed an error!

I recommend it.

Registry First Aid version 4.1.0 (Build 707) (I think
is the latest), also has a good reputation.

More aggressive than Registry Mechanic, but I have
heard good reports about it.

Perhaps a member who is curently using it would care
to comment on it.

Cheers,

John Lehn
--- Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry

> Hi, is the above programme good ?
>
> Ive ran it - & it fixed 20 or so problems.. however
> Ive got to
> register it to fix 89+ other problems...
>
> Is it useful / good to purchase / register ? - If
> so,I may register in
> the next few weeks (Gotta find a computer folk with
> a credit card :) -
> so I can pay them $$ & they can pay online)
>
> are there any other good Registry cleaner programmes
> out there ?
>
> (Win XP) - Ive seen a few - but all require
> registration / fees - to
> get a working version...
>
> --
> Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
> http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
> NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 10
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:42:36 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

No.
My wife`s puter has the same problem.

We can`t afford the 75.00 per hour the puter plaxces want.

I called all 3 of them and they all seem to think its what`s called an
"imbedded" virus.

They all said it can`t be found by conventional means.

  From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

  Must be an HP.
[...]

Message: 11
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:47:33 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I haven't tried Registry Mechanic.  I use XP Repair Pro 2006
regularly and have a review of it on my site.   One especially
friendly, and unusual, thing is that one license covers all your
personal (home, not business) computers.

Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 07:12 AM 4/20/2006, you wrote:
>http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry
>
>Hi, is the above programme good ?
>
>Ive ran it - & it fixed 20 or so problems.. however Ive got to
>register it to fix 89+ other problems...
>
>Is it useful / good to purchase / register ? - If so,I may register in
>the next few weeks (Gotta find a computer folk with a credit card :) -
>so I can pay them $$ & they can pay online)
>
>are there any other good Registry cleaner programmes out there ?
>
>(Win XP) - Ive seen a few - but all require registration / fees - to
>get a working version...
>
>--

Message: 12
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 14:16:05 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Too Bad!

Have you tried what Terry and Casper and Chris said to do on this issue?

If you haven't I would, that's what I am gonna try. Get the dust out of
this
baby, safely I hope.

Sheila

   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

   Must be an HP.
[...]

Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:27:13 -0000
   From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

Does anyone know anything about this product?

The Link is: http://winantivirus.com/?aid=ms_ad&lid=firewall

if anyone does know, would you let me know if it is good or bad and
simple to use?

I am desparate folks, I have no anti-virus or firewall, except window,
downloading Kerio though.

Every second I am on here it scares me to death!

Sheila

Message: 14
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:50:05 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Casper,

>OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum.

Actually it is not automatically a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Nor
is a small paint brush bad. In fact they can be used quite effectivly
together. Use a non metalic crevass  tool and a small 1" paint brush.
Carefullly brush the components with the brush while holding the cravass
too close but not touching any componente. The fans and other non delicate
areas can be vacuumed directly but may also need the paint brush.

Jim

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 15
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:58:38 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Gordon,

> http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/offer.php?ref=google_registry

> Hi, is the above programme good ?

IMHO registry tools are not worth the bother of downloads.

Jim

Message: 16
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:04:53 -0500
   From: "Phyllis Christian" <webbot@xxxxxxxxxx>

AVG and Avast Free, are good av's, Windows XP has a built in firewall if
you
download Windows Defender and Windows OneCare Backup..--Phyllis

>I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite Paid for version, but it
> has been doing something bad to my PC.
>
> Sometimes when I shut down for the night, I will turn the Pc on the
> next day and I get only the SAFE MODE screen.
>
> I know it is zone alarm, because the first time it happened I tried
> everything possible that I could try to get my Login Screen. Last
> thing I thought to try was to uninstall and get rid of everything from
> zone alarm and zone labs, even through the Registry.
>
> When I rebooted, my login screen was back. I reinstalled it fresh and,
> after several days, I turned it on and the safe mode screen was back.
> This time I knew what to try first, so I uninstalled zone alarm.
> WaLah, login screen was back.
>
> I prefer a free one as I am on a limited income and disabled with 2
> children.
>
> Any easy to use ones out there?
> If I had to pay, are there any simple ones that pretty much does
> everything in the back ground?
>
> Thanks All,
> Sheila
>
> P.S. I need the same thing in an Anti-Virus as well with the same
> criteria, I would appreciated any info on both.
>
> Thanks Again and In Advance to anyone who can help me!
>

> ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

> http://www.eset.com

Message: 17
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:37:39 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Terry,

> In one word -- HEAT.

Unfortunately there must be  more than one word. :-)  My computer does the
spontandous shutdown thing, even on very warm days. And only rarely. For a
few days it shutdown several times, actually it rebooted. Then it went for
days, incuding when it was vary warm, and did not shutdown or reboot for
days. It has not been rebooting much lately.

I think that some or the other factors that may shut down a computer are
volgate spikes, try so called surge supressors. My machine in question
isn't
plugged into one of these beacuse it is one of four machines and wasn't
getting used very often. Keep in mind that a surge supressor is much less
expensive than a UPS, uninteruptable power source.

I think power supply defects might also cause the shutdown/reboot thing.
But
when it happens only every few days it is hard to troubleshoot. But if you
use a surge supressor and maybe even a UPS you probably can eliminate
external causes.

Jim

Message: 18
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:45:09 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

Sheila,

> I don't know what the cpu looks like and certainly don't know what the
> thermal paste is or where to see if it's dry or anything.

There is almost no chance that the problem is the thermal grease. When heat
does cause problems it is more liketly due to dirt OR a defective component
on the mother board, or both.  I don't often recommend calling a computer
repair person/company. So many of them do not know what they are doing past
the things that knowledgeable users know. They seem to be filling the void
created by the old TV service people.  But in this case they might be the
answer if no other user applied solutins work. IF you are assured that the
repair person will not charge you a fee if the person doesn't fix the
problem.

Jim

Message: 19
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:59:39 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

John,

> I use Registry Mechanic v 5.1.0.224, and have never
> had any problems with it.

The real question is whether any registry cleaner will do any real good.
They never have for me.

Jim

Message: 20
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:57:19 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

casper ,

>I forgot to mention, after blowing air into your hardware or circuit
boards,

I would never blow air into a computers components. This can drive the dust
into cracks. Of course this may be a matter of opinion since it is not a
given that this will happen, only a dire possiblity.

Jim

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 21
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:57:19 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

casper ,

>I forgot to mention, after blowing air into your hardware or circuit
boards,

I would never blow air into a computers components. This can drive the dust
into cracks. Of course this may be a matter of opinion since it is not a
given that this will happen, only a dire possiblity.

Jim

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 22
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:18:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Carl Winchester <carlsjc95125@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi,
  My sister's puter would shut down w/o warning...it turned out that the
(ps) power suppy's cooling fans/ducts were clogged with dirt and
dust...causing the ps to over heat and shut down.  She had this problem for
over six months but cleaning the fans fixed the problem for good !!  I hope
this info helps....
  Carl

From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 07:46:42 -0400

Must be an HP.
[...]

        Technical support   Computer security   Computer technical support
   Computer training   Free computer technical support   Computer problems

---------------------------------

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 23
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:40:10 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Can of air. I always try to have one on hand because, when you need
it, you need it.  Get one or two at your local office supply, local
computer store or even big discount department store.

Note that the can gets colder as you squirt the air out.  If the
pressure seems to drop to much, just stop and let the can get back to
room temperature and you'll have plenty of pressure again.

I'd think more like "embedded bacteria" in the dust in the heat sink,
rather than "embedded virus.".  A virus is not impossible, but
usually not the answer.  On the other hand, they'll check it for
viruses and remove any they find, so you'll pay for that even if they
don't find any...

Terry
--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com
My blogs:  http://www.TheNextWindow.com and
http://blog.TerrysComputerTips.com

Message: 24
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:45:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WinAntiVirus Pro 2006

Use either Avast! or AVG for your antivirus if you want a free one. If you
want a commercial fee-based AV, go for ESET Nod32.
  Links:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

  As far as free firewalls, go to this very informative thread:
http://shorterlink.com/?R9VDFV

simplyrose2000 <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Does anyone know anything about this product?

The Link is: http://winantivirus.com/?aid=ms_ad&lid=firewall

if anyone does know, would you let me know if it is good or bad and
simple to use?

I am desparate folks, I have no anti-virus or firewall, except window,
downloading Kerio though.

Every second I am on here it scares me to death!

Sheila

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Message: 25
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:07:44 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Actually, it IS pretty much a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Why?
Because a vacuum cleaner generates a tremendous amount of static
electricity at the nozzle and this is sufficient to fry many of the
components on the motherboard. A vacuum cleaner can also suck up loose
jumpers, which will change settings on the motherboard and may render
the system un bootable.

If you're going to use a vacuum cleaner, get one of the specially made
one for cleaning electronics.  Otherwise, use canned air.  Do not use an
air compressor UNLESS it has a dryer specifically made to remove all
particles, oil and water from the air. Dryers for automotive shops are
NOT capable of cleaning the air sufficiently for computer work.

Small chip brushes, 1" and 1½", are great for dislodging dust and crud.
  Then use the canned air to blow it out of the case.  I recommend that
you do this outdoors as you don't want the dust to get sucked right back
inside the system.

As for the system restarting without warning, is the "Automatically
Restart on Errors" setting UNchecked?  That would be the first place to
check as this is turned ON by default.

Tom

Jim wrote:
> Casper,
>
>> OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum.
>
> Actually it is not automatically a bad thing to use a vacuum cleaner. Nor
is a small paint brush bad. In fact they can be used quite effectivly
together. Use a non metalic crevass  tool and a small 1" paint brush.
Carefullly brush the components with the brush while holding the cravass
too close but not touching any componente. The fans and other non delicate
areas can be vacuumed directly but may also need the paint brush.

> Jim

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here