[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1728

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:22:33 -0700

There are 20 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. XP activation
           From: "JoEllia" <joiesword@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: XP activation
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Missing a necesary root certificate
           From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
      6. Re: XP activation
           From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
      7. Re: XP activation
           From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Any Firewall Recommendations?
           From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. VMWare's Player and Server - now FREE!!
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 09:11:12 -0000
   From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Missing a necesary root certificate

Hi Ricky

I found the following on the Castlecops website
http://castlecops.com/t99980-
couldnt_verify_vsinit_dll_error_and_how_to_fix_it.html :-

This is a fix supplied from ZoneLabs. Give it a try if you are having
this problem.

SUMMARY I'm getting a validation failed message with vsinit.dll

SOLUTION

In order to protect our software client from being tampered with, we
sign our dll's. Every time a dll is loaded, we check if it has our
certificate.

In order to do certificate checking, the machine needs to have a root
certificate on it. If the root certificate in missing, we can't
validate the dll and the client will not start.

We have determined that on systems with a validation error the root
certificates were missing.

The Zone Labs client has 100% nothing to do with any kind of
certificate removals and we can only assume that something malicious
has removed them from effected machines.

The following 4 STEPS will fix your system if followed very closely.

STEP1: UNINSTALL ZONEALARM

Please follow the steps below to manually uninstall ZoneAlarm from
your system. Please make sure to follow the steps for whichever
operating system you may have. After ZoneAlarm is uninstalled, please
make sure you have all of the Windows Updates installed and run a
complete virus scan on your system to make sure there is not a virus
on the system. You can run a free virus scan from the link below.

Thank you for choosing Zone Labs,

Good Luck

Paris

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rakesh Tewary
<rtewary@...> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I started my computer today and got the following message -
>
> CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad. <snip>

Message: 2
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:08:12 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

First thing I'd do is replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.  It's
about the same size a a nickel.  Check the motherboard manual.

Tom

Rakesh Tewary wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I started my computer today and got the following message -
>
> CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad.
>
> Press F2 to run Setup.
> Press F1 tol oad default values and continue.
>
> Knowing nothing about Setup, I pressed F1. This popup window came up -
>
> C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\Zone Alarm\zclient.exe
>
> There was a white cross/multiplication sign inside a red button.
> Validation failed for C:\WINDOWS\system32\VSINIT.dll. You re probably
> missing a necessary root certificate.
>
> What does this mean and what should I do? Please help.
>
> Till the point when I shut down the machine last night, nothing untoward
> had happened nor did I load any new programme?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Warm regards,
> Ricky.

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 16:05:57 -0000
   From: "JoEllia" <joiesword@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: XP activation

I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home (well my
sister installed the windows)and now it keeps telling me I have so
many days to register it for activation. My sister registered it in my
name when she installed it! What should I do?

Message: 4
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:46:43 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XP activation

At 11:05 AM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home (well my
>sister installed the windows)and now it keeps telling me I have so
>many days to register it for activation. My sister registered it in my
>name when she installed it! What should I do?

Registration and Activation are two different things is WIndows XP.

You HAVE TO Activate your copy within a certain number of days.

You DO NOT HAVE TO "Register" your copy -- that is you do not have to
fill in a form with name, address etc -- and I know of no advantage
to you to do that.

I activate my copies, but I do not register them.

Go ahead and activate your Windows XP installation.

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

Message: 5
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:01:45 -0000
   From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>

Ricky

My apologies I missed this off my earlier message (as below)

After scanning for a virus etc, and uninstalling Zone Alarm:

==============
Windows 2000/XP
==============

01.) Restart your computer
02.) When you see the screen go black and it starts booting back up
keep tapping the "F8" key (at the top of your keyboard)
03.) This should bring up a menu. Choose Safe Mode off the menu by
using the arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight Safe Mode and press
Enter
04.) If you get a message asking to go to Safe Mode, choose Yes. If
you get a help and support window, close this.
05.) Once you are at the desktop, Click Start, My Computer
06.) Click Tools, Folder Options, View Tab
07.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders"
08.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
(Recommended)"
09.) Choose Yes to the warning
10.) Click OK
11.) Double click C:

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders,
please click the "Show Files" link to view them.

12.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
13.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
14.) Close this window
15.) Click Start, My Computer
16.) Double Click the C:
17.) Double Click the Windows Folder (It may say WinNT if you have
Windows 2000)
18.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose
Yes
19.) Double Click the System32 Folder
20.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
21.) Right Click the file Vsdatant.sys, click Delete, and choose Yes
22.) Right Click the file VSUtil.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
23.) Right Click the file VSInit.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
24.) Restart the computer

============
Windows 98/ME
============
01.) Click Start, Run
02.) In the Run box type in MSConfig
03.) Click OK
04.) Click the Advanced Button
05.) Place a check in Enable Startup Menu
06.) Click OK, then OK again
07.) Restart your computer
08.) Upon restart choose Safe Mode off the menu by using the arrow
keys on the
keyboard and pressing Enter
09.) Once in Safe Mode close the help and support screen
10.) Double Click My Computer
11.) Click View, Folder Options, View Tab
12.) Place a dot next to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" or "Show All
Files"
13.) Remove the check from "Hide Protected Operating System Files
(Recommended)"
14.) Choose Yes to the warning
15.) Click OK
16.) Double click "C:"

Note: In the future steps if you do not see any files or folders,
please click the
"Show Files" link to view them.

17.) Double Click the Program Files Folder
18.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
19.) Close this window
20.) Click Start, My Computer
21.) Double Click the C:
22.) Double Click the Windows Folder
23.) Right Click the Internet Logs Folder, click Delete, and choose
Yes
24.) Double Click the System Folder
25.) Click View, Details
26.) Right Click the Zone Labs Folder, click Delete, and choose Yes
27.) Right Click the file VSData95.VxD, click Delete, and choose Yes
28.) Right Click the file VSUtil.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
29.) Right Click the file VSInit.dll, click Delete, and choose Yes
30.) Close this window
31.) Click Start, Run
32.) In the Run box type in RegEdit
33.) Click OK
34.) Click the + next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
35.) Click the + next to SYSTEM
36.) Click the + next to CurrentControlSet
37.) Click the + next to Services
38.) Click the + next to VxD
39.) Highlight the "VSData95" folder
40.) Press Delete, click Yes
41.) close the registry Editor
42.) Click Start, Run
43.) In the Run box type in MSConfig
44.) Click OK
45.) Click the Advanced Button
46.) Remove check in Enable Startup Menu
47.) Click OK, then OK again
48.) Restart your computer

STEP 2: FIX THE ROOT CERTIFICATES ON YOUR SYSTEM
Open Your browser and navigate to the following URL.
Once at the web page follow the directions to reset your root
certificates.
https://getca.verisign.com/

STEP 3: DOWNLOAD AND REINSTALL YOUR PREVIOUS VERSION OF ZONEALARM
Select the appropriate download link below to download ZoneAlarm.
Remember to SAVE the download to your desktop. DO NOT select RUN or
OPEN when downloading.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "parisiengarcon"
<garconparisien@...> wrote:

> Hi Ricky
>
> I found the following on the Castlecops website
> http://castlecops.com/t99980-
> couldnt_verify_vsinit_dll_error_and_how_to_fix_it.html :-
>
> This is a fix supplied from ZoneLabs. Give it a try if you are
having
> this problem.
>
> SUMMARY I'm getting a validation failed message with vsinit.dll
>
> SOLUTION
>
> In order to protect our software client from being tampered with,
we
> sign our dll's. Every time a dll is loaded, we check if it has our
> certificate.
>
> In order to do certificate checking, the machine needs to have a
root
> certificate on it. If the root certificate in missing, we can't
> validate the dll and the client will not start.
>
> We have determined that on systems with a validation error the root
> certificates were missing.
>
> The Zone Labs client has 100% nothing to do with any kind of
> certificate removals and we can only assume that something
malicious
> has removed them from effected machines.
>
> The following 4 STEPS will fix your system if followed very
closely.

> STEP1: UNINSTALL ZONEALARM
>
> Please follow the steps below to manually uninstall ZoneAlarm from
> your system. Please make sure to follow the steps for whichever
> operating system you may have. After ZoneAlarm is uninstalled,
please
> make sure you have all of the Windows Updates installed and run a
> complete virus scan on your system to make sure there is not a
virus
> on the system. You can run a free virus scan from the link below.
>
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
>
> Thank you for choosing Zone Labs,
>
> Good Luck
>
> Paris

Message: 6
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 17:15:12 -0000
   From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>

Product activation is a compulsary measure intended to prevent piracy,
whereas registration is optional.  This is explained in some detail at
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/evaluation/features/activation.mspx

Regards

Paris

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "JoEllia" <joiesword@...>
wrote:

> I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home (well my
> sister installed the windows)and now it keeps telling me I have so
> many days to register it for activation. My sister registered it in my
> name when she installed it! What should I do?

Message: 7
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:19:02 -0500
   From: "Jim" <jpurcell@xxxxxxxxx>

JoEllia,

>I just installed a new hard drive and a new copy of XP Home  My sister
>registered it in my  name when she installed it! What should I do?

Did she activate it too. You have to acrtivate XP to get rid of the
reminder.

Jim

Message: 8
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 23:53:48 -0000
   From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
without warning and restarts?

It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.

I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
through to locate it.

The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.

Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
here know how to or what to do with the log?

Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!

Thanks In Advance,
Sheila

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:07:30 -0000
   From: "simplyrose2000" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Any Firewall Recommendations?

I have been using Zone Alarm Security Suite Paid for version, but it
has been doing something bad to my PC.

Sometimes when I shut down for the night, I will turn the Pc on the
next day and I get only the SAFE MODE screen.

I know it is zone alarm, because the first time it happened I tried
everything possible that I could try to get my Login Screen. Last
thing I thought to try was to uninstall and get rid of everything from
zone alarm and zone labs, even through the Registry.

When I rebooted, my login screen was back. I reinstalled it fresh and,
after several days, I turned it on and the safe mode screen was back.
This time I knew what to try first, so I uninstalled zone alarm.
WaLah, login screen was back.

I prefer a free one as I am on a limited income and disabled with 2
children.

Any easy to use ones out there?
If I had to pay, are there any simple ones that pretty much does
everything in the back ground?

Thanks All,
Sheila

P.S. I need the same thing in an Anti-Virus as well with the same
criteria, I would appreciated any info on both.

Thanks Again and In Advance to anyone who can help me!

Message: 10
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:20 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!

In one word -- HEAT.

Most computers (unless you turn that off in the BIOS) will shut down
automatically if they are getting too hot, to prevent damage to the
CPU.  The CPU will also shut down if it gets too hot -- sometimes
shutting down permanently.

Check your fans.  Check your CPU heat sink -- it is probably full of
dust, so it's not cooling the CPU.

While it could be the power supply, could be some software causing a
shutdown (not likely), or could be a failure of some other component,
the most common problem is heat.  Especially a dirty CPU heatsink or
a failing CPU fan.  Some motherboards also have automatic shutdown if
they detect the CPU fan or the heatsink fan running too slow (which
is a sure sign that they are failing).

Terry
--

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
>without warning and restarts?
>
>It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
>closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.
>
>I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
>your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
>through to locate it.
>
>The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.
>
>Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
>here know how to or what to do with the log?
>
>Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>Sheila

Message: 11
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 20:52:33 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: VMWare's Player and Server - now FREE!!

VMWare's Player and Server
Based on
VMware moves to free with Server product
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/03/vmware_goes_free/

I have no doubt the king of virtualization technology was, and still
remains, VMWare.. Virtualization software allows you to run multiple
operating systems on one machine at the same time. I admit, that's a gross
simplification, but let's keep things simple. If you're really interested,
Wikipedia gives a good overview of virtualization that will help clear
things up:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_machine
Or read the explanation offered by VMWare:
http://www.vmware.com/virtualization/

There are various versions of VMWare's software, and in my humble opinion
they're worth every penny. However, VMWare has reduced the price for both
its Player and now its Server to zero:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/03/vmware_goes_free/
Let me repeat, ZERO. Want to use VMWare on your Windows or Linux box to run
other operating systems? Now you have no excuse. VMware has created a free
version of its server partitioning software. This move challenges open
source rival XenSource, which gives away core server virtualization
technology known as a Hypervisor. Xen is only for serious, bleeding-edge
Linux enthusiasts. VMWare's free product will be called VMware Server and
will join the Workstation, GSX Server and ESX Server products. VMware
Server should get more people to try out this technology that lets them run
multiple operating systems and applications on a single x86 server. VMware
also has something called the VMware Player, which allows customers to run
but not create virtual machines for free. It has been downloaded more than
1 million times. You can download the VMWare Server here:
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

It also now appears that VMWare has gotten its flagship software running on
the new Intel-based Macs in the lab and will hopefully be releasing the
software sometime soon:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/maney/2006/04/mac_and_xp_a_vi.html
Once that happens, an Apple Mac becomes the only machine able to legally
run Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux at the same time. Party time!!!

---------------------------------
Celebrate Earth Day everyday!  Discover 10 things you can do to help slow
climate change. Yahoo! Earth Day

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 12
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:03:53 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Terry!

So what does the CPU heat sink look like?

What do I do about cleaning all this, heat sink, fans, motherboard ?Do we
open up the tower and gently vacume any dust we see ?

Sheila

From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MCH] PC SHUTS DOWN W/O WARNING!
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:20 -0500

In one word -- HEAT.

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
 >How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
 >without warning and restarts?
 >
 >It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
 >closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.
 >
 >I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
 >your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
 >through to locate it.
 >
 >The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.
 >
 >Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
 >here know how to or what to do with the log?
 >
 >Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!
 >
 >Thanks In Advance,
 >Sheila

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 13
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:02:49 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

This happened to me twice and like Terry says here, it is heat-related. One
time I noticed the CPU fun running sluggishly. So I applied a few drops of
oil into the fan by removing a masking tape covering a hole into the fan
enclosure then retape it back. Then I took the fan for a ride while
sticking it out of the window. Another time, I was experiencing the same
problem and I inspected the CPU. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the
thermal paste was almost dry. Applying more to the back of the CPU, the
random shutdown problem became just a bad memory. I don't mean RAM :)

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
>without warning and restarts?
>
>It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
>closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.
>
>I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
>your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
>through to locate it.
>
>The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.
>
>Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
>here know how to or what to do with the log?
>
>Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>Sheila

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

---------------------------------
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger?s low  PC-to-Phone call
rates.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 14
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:10:25 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Wow casper!

I don't know what the cpu looks like and certainly don't know what the
thermal paste is or where to see if it's dry or anything.

If I find out all that from the group, where would you buy thermal paste at?

Sheila

From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
 >How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
 >without warning and restarts?
 >
 >It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
 >closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.
 >
 >I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
 >your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
 >through to locate it.
 >
 >The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.
 >
 >Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
 >here know how to or what to do with the log?
 >
 >Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!
 >
 >Thanks In Advance,
 >Sheila

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

---------------------------------
How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger?s low  PC-to-Phone call
rates.

Message: 15
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:09:25 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

Sheila the extension that you are referring to in Firefox is called Session
Saver. Sean's MCH Forums should have a write-up about it in the Browser
Forum under Firefox tips and stuff. Does the shutdown happen immediately or
only after the PC is on for a bit?

simplyrose2000 <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just
2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 16
   Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 00:33:53 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Casper,
Thanks for the name of the extension!

Can you give me sean's forum url?

I think, but am not certain, that it shuts down after it's been on a while.

Sheila

   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:54:25 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

OH NO!! You cannot use a brush NOR a vacuum. That's a no-no or you will
kill the CPU or other components on your motherboard. Unplug your computer
and open the case and get one of those cans of compressed air. Tilt the PC
case so when you blow the air into it, the dust will fly out of the
computer case. The CPU by itself and the CPU with FAN installed would look
like the pictures shown here:
http://shorterlink.com/?VG5A13
A heatsink would look similar to these:
http://shorterlink.com/?LG0RRP
http://www.electronics-cooling.com/assets/images/2001_February_a1_f1.jpg
  They are differently designed depending on the CPU or motherboard.

From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:20 -0500

In one word -- HEAT.

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
>How can I diagnose or find out why my computer shuts down suddenly
>without warning and restarts?
>
>It is an aggravation to say the least because all open pages are then
>closed and I have to find my way back to them through history.
>
>I do recall that Firefox has an extension that allows you to continue
>your session but can't recall the name of it or which section to look
>through to locate it.
>
>The main thing is whats causing the shutdown/restart thingy.
>
>Would doing a HiJack this Log be of any help and if so, does anyone
>here know how to or what to do with the log?
>
>Any ideas or free diagnostic tools would really be appreciated!
>
>Thanks In Advance,
>Sheila

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

---------------------------------
Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone  calls to 30+ countries for just
2¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 18
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:03:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

I think you might be able to get all the info you need here. This article
discusses proper use of Arctic Silver, a brand of thermal paste. It has
pictures:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Other people might recommend other brands so wait for some other
recommendations from group members. I know there are some people who do not
like Arctic Silver.
http://www.overclockers.com/articles938/

From: casper
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:02:49 -0700 (PDT)

At 06:53 PM 4/19/2006, you wrote:
[...]

Blab-away for as little as 1¢/min. Make  PC-to-Phone Calls using Yahoo!
Messenger with Voice.

[This message contained attachments]

Message: 19
   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:56:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

The MCH Forum is at http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
  Membership registration (FREE) is required to access forum contents.

   Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:05:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

I forgot to mention, after blowing air into your hardware or circuit
boards, make sure you allow your components to dry since using compressed
air sometimes produces condensation. Allow them to dry naturally, and do
not touch the components with any rugs or plastic.

From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 21:05:20 -0500

In one word -- HEAT.