[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1723

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:42:19 -0700

           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: I.FTP Have you used it?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:50:45 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: I.FTP Have you used it?

Hello:

I just found this what looks like a liffle gem of a program. I have
been looking for this for a while. Just a small FTP Program that will
run from a flash drive and not create any reg keys.

I was wanting this so when I am not home and need to fix a website for
one of my clients I can do it from anywhere without having to install
an FTP Program.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and found any major flaws? I
tested today on a test machine and it seems fine.

Thanks
Vince

Message: 2
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:51:45 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: I. FTP Have you tried it?

Hello:

I just found this what looks like a liffle gem of a program. I have
been looking for this for a while. Just a small FTP Program that will
run from a flash drive and not create any reg keys.

I was wanting this so when I am not home and need to fix a website for
one of my clients I can do it from anywhere without having to install
an FTP Program.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and found any major flaws? I
tested today on a test machine and it seems fine.

http://www.memecode.com/iftp.php

Thanks
Vince

Message: 3
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows ME

I think both Hibernate and Standby are features of XP, and not
hardware-dependent. But I could be wrong :). You can verify from this MS
article:

  Use Hibernate and Standby to Conserve Batteries
http://shorterlink.com/?D8622I

Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Doesn't Hibernate apply to laptobs, not Desktops?
Estavi

--- Peter Churukian <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm setting it to standby.  I don't think there is a
> hibernate feature on Windows ME.

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 4
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 07:37:06 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>

There is. If Win9x has Hibernate, WinMe should have one too.

   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:14:00 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: I.FTP Have you used it?

Dunno.  What program?

On or about 4/15/2006 6:50 AM, the one known as Vince was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Hello:
>
> I just found this what looks like a liffle gem of a program. I have
> been looking for this for a while. Just a small FTP Program that will
> run from a flash drive and not create any reg keys.
>
> I was wanting this so when I am not home and need to fix a website for
> one of my clients I can do it from anywhere without having to install
> an FTP Program.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and found any major flaws? I
> tested today on a test machine and it seems fine.
>
> Thanks
> Vince

Message: 6
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:20:24 -0400
   From: "Mark Mucher" <mmucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I had the same question! <G>

BTW, did you know that IE handles FTP quite nicely?

Mark

  _____

On or about 4/15/2006 6:50 AM, the one known as Vince was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Hello:
>
> I just found this what looks like a liffle gem of a program. I have
> been looking for this for a while. Just a small FTP Program that will
> run from a flash drive and not create any reg keys.
>
> I was wanting this so when I am not home and need to fix a website for
> one of my clients I can do it from anywhere without having to install
> an FTP Program.
>
> Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and found any major flaws? I
> tested today on a test machine and it seems fine.
>
> Thanks
> Vince

Message: 7
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:55:44 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a desktop; this fact probably got lost in all the shuffle of replies.
From reading the article that casper sent, it only talks about conserving
batteries on laptops using hibernate.

Doesn't Hibernate apply to laptobs, not Desktops?

Estavi

--- Peter Churukian <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm setting it to standby.  I don't think there is a
> hibernate feature on
> Windows ME.

Message: 8
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 13:04:18 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the reply, Wyatt.  Of course now getting a new tech is water
under the bridge (as they say), since he already came and put in a new power
supply.  I've never had to use any outside help to 'fix' any problems I had.
I've owned computers since 1989 and have been able to change or add hard
drives, add memory, add a tape drive, etc.  This time it was something I
thought was over my head, and I figured I needed an "expert."  I definitely
won't call on this guy again.  I don't know if you've read other notes in
this thread, but he really upset me when he went into my settings and
started randomly changing my screen saver power saving settings without
consulting me.  As soon as he left, I changed them back.

Thanks again.

Peter

No, you can protect ME - it's just harder, because it's based on the 9x
architecture and has just too many avenues for viruses to approach.  I'd
bet on the power supply.  Every time I ever heard that pop, that's what
it was.

Maybe look for another tech.  I dislike ME greatly, but I'll work on it.
  I hate OE, but I work on that too.  I don't work on 95 anymore, but
only because it's pointless.

On or about 4/12/2006 10:33 PM, the one known as Peter Churukian was
rumoured to have uttered...
> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.  (I
know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer laptop
(which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 9
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:58:59 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

That may be true, but I have a desktop, and thus I don't think Hibernate is
an option.  After reading the article you sent in your previous reply, I
didn't see any reference to desktops, only laptops.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

Peter Churukian wrote:
[...]

Message: 10
   Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 18:13:05 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

I read the article, and it appears they are talking
about battery powered laptops.

e.g., its title is:  "Use Hibernate and Standby to
Conserve Batteries".

estavi

--- casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think both Hibernate and Standby are features of
> XP, and not hardware-dependent. But I could be wrong
> :). You can verify from this MS article:
>
>   Use Hibernate and Standby to Conserve Batteries
> http://shorterlink.com/?D8622I
>

> Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     Doesn't Hibernate apply to laptobs, not
> Desktops?
> Estavi
>

> --- Peter Churukian <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I'm setting it to standby.  I don't think there is
> > hibernate feature on Windows ME.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 03:39:42 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

It's called I.FTP and the link in the first message will show you
the program.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Wyatt M. Portendt"
<wyatt.m.portendt@...> wrote:

> Dunno.  What program?
>
> On or about 4/15/2006 6:50 AM, the one known as Vince was rumoured
> have uttered...
> > Hello:
> >
> > I just found this what looks like a liffle gem of a program. I
have
> > been looking for this for a while. Just a small FTP Program that
will
> > run from a flash drive and not create any reg keys.
> >
> > I was wanting this so when I am not home and need to fix a
website for
> > one of my clients I can do it from anywhere without having to
install
> > an FTP Program.
> >
> > Just wondering if anyone has tried it out and found any major
flaws? I
> > tested today on a test machine and it seems fine.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Vince

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here