[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1722

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 10:24:10 -0700

There are 16 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Re: Windows ME
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: {OT} Re: Windows ME
           From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      3. MS April Patch Tuesday UPDATES
           From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. IPCfg - Win98
           From: "Ken Hollingsworth" <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: IPCfg - Win98
           From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: {OT} Re: Windows ME
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??
           From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Windows ME
           From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. [SA19631] Firefox Multiple Vulnerabilities
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. [SA19631] Firefox Multiple Vulnerabilities
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. [SA19649] Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: IPCfg - Win98
           From: "Ken Hollingsworth" <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Windows ME
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Windows ME
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Windows ME
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 23:37:43 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Windows ME

Thanks, Vince, for your input.  The more I think about this situation, the
madder I get.  I should have suspected something when he first opened up the
computer.  He stated that my floppy disk drive wasn't even connected.  Gee,
that's funny; I just used it less than a week ago.  I know I should have
said something when he started messing with my settings, but it was all done
before I could get a word in.  Not only that, he went into msconfig and
disabled the option where scandisk runs after a bad shutdown.  I immediately
went back in a changed it back.

I'm a bit more conservative than you with respect to energy usage, etc.  I
have my monitor shut off after 5 minutes (I don't use screen saver); hard
disk off after 15 minutes; and system standby after 30 minutes.

Thanks again for your input.

Peter

   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 11:42:02 +0000
   From: CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: {OT} Re: Windows ME

Hi,

     This is off topic a bit ...

     You said:

"He stated that my floppy disk drive wasn't even connected.  Gee, that's
funny; I just used it less than a week ago."

     Reminds me of an instance sometime ago with my wife's car inspection
{required annually}. I waited while the car was inspected. The mechanic
{and also owner} failed the car based on worn brake pads on the front
wheels. I had only replaced them {myself} 7 months prior. He knew I worked
on my own cars. Suspecting that I would replace them myself, he warned me
that replacing the front brake pads on ABS {Antilocking Braking System}
could be tricky and required one specialty tool. I thanked him, left and
never went back to him. MY WIFE'S CAR DOES NOT HAVE AN ABS SYSTEM!

      Took my car to another garage down the street {same day} and it
passed with no troubles. Asked mechanic about state of the front brake pads
and he said they are practically new.

     I have never gone back to the first garage and have warned others of
his practices.

     I repair computers for a living and would advise you to find another
computer technician.

Kind regards,
Christopher J. Spilker

From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks, Vince, for your input.  The more I think about this situation, the
> madder I get.  I should have suspected something when he first opened up
the
> computer.  He stated that my floppy disk drive wasn't even connected.
Gee,
> that's funny; I just used it less than a week ago.  I know I should have
> said something when he started messing with my settings, but it was all
done
> before I could get a word in.  Not only that, he went into msconfig and
> disabled the option where scandisk runs after a bad shutdown.  I
immediately
> went back in a changed it back.
>
> I'm a bit more conservative than you with respect to energy usage, etc.  I
> have my monitor shut off after 5 minutes (I don't use screen saver); hard
> disk off after 15 minutes; and system standby after 30 minutes.
>
> Thanks again for your input.
>
> Peter

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 12:43:21 -0000
   From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MS April Patch Tuesday UPDATES

April MS UPDATES

Microsoft released its security software patches for April,
addressing an unpatched bug in IE that hackers had been exploiting
for several weeks.

The five patches addressed a number of critical vulnerabilities in
IE and Windows. Microsoft also released an update for Outlook
Express, rated "important," and a fix for Windows FrontPage Server
Extensions and SharePoint Team Services 2002, rated "moderate."
Here's a description of what Microsoft released:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms06-apr.mspx

The most anticipated part of this month's update is the MS06-013
patch, which fixes several IE bugs, including the "create TextRange
()" vulnerability reported last month. Hackers had been exploiting
this problem by installing unauthorized software on PCs accessed
after tricking users into visiting sites that took advantage of the
bug. The problem was serious enough that security vendors eEye
Digital Security and Determina created patches to address it. The
patch, which Microsoft does not recommend, was downloaded 156,000
times by Windows users.

Microsoft also patched a similarly critical vulnerability in Windows
Explorer involving Component Object Model objects. Attackers could
take over a system by tricking users into visiting a Web site that
would connect them to a remote file server. This remote file server
could then cause Windows Explorer to fail in a way that could allow
code execution. This vulnerability affects all supported versions of
Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-015.mspx

The third critical fix in April's updates addresses a vulnerability
in an ActiveX control, called RDS.Dataspace, which is distributed
with the Microsoft Data Access Components. This software is included
with the Windows operating system and is typically used by database
software. The RDS.Dataspace component problem is rated critical for
Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

Additionally, a new version of the Malicious Software Removal Tool
will also be released to address new malware threats. It will be
updated via Windows Update, Microsoft Update, Windows Server Update
Services and the Download Center. The anti-malware tool will not be
made available using the company's SUS (Software Update Services).

Microsoft would also distribute one non-security high-priority
update on its Microsoft Update and Windows Server Update Services,
but offered no further details of what that release might involve.

MS, earlier this week, recommended that many businesses should
consider buying degaussing technologies (WHAT???!!!) to wipe
computer hard drives clean when they reinstall operating systems in
order to recover from malware attacks, particularly when dealing
with rootkits infections. MS reps said that rootkits that use cloak
malware programs and maintain an undetectable presence on infected
machines have increased in popularity among spyware writers. Based
on the way many of these pieces of code are built, MS said it may be
impossible for IT workers to determine whether or not such rootkits
have been fully removed from an infected system.

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:33:27 -0700
   From: "Ken Hollingsworth" <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IPCfg - Win98

I'm attempting to clean out an old eMachine with Win 98
on it.  When I got it, it would connect to the net, and other
computers on my LAN.  The complaint was viruses, and a
general tune-up, updates, etc....
    I downloaded many Windows updates, downloaded
AVG free, and at some point in that process, and after
rebooting many times - I now get an error when I try to
connect - IPCfgDLL.DLL is linked to missing Wsock32.DLL -

I find both files in place in the /Windows/system folder where
they are supposed to be.  Even though I can't connect to
the net - I can connect to the LAN sporadically - sometimes
not.

The machine had 64mb of Ram, and I added 64 - it now runs
pretty good, other than failing to connect to the net.
Any suggestions before I re-install 98?  I don't think the
machine is strong enough for XP.

Ken Hollingsworth

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 09:01:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPCfg - Win98

Ken, have you tried using WinsockFix?

Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    I'm attempting to clean out an old eMachine with Win 98
on it.  When I got it, it would connect to the net, and other computers on
my LAN.  The complaint was viruses, and a general tune-up, updates, etc....

  I downloaded many Windows updates, downloaded
AVG free, and at some point in that process, and after
rebooting many times - I now get an error when I try to
connect - IPCfgDLL.DLL is linked to missing Wsock32.DLL -

I find both files in place in the /Windows/system folder where they are
supposed to be.  Even though I can't connect to the net - I can connect to
the LAN sporadically - sometimes not.

The machine had 64mb of Ram, and I added 64 - it now runs pretty good,
other than failing to connect to the net.
Any suggestions before I re-install 98?  I don't think the machine is
strong enough for XP.

Ken Hollingsworth

Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them as
well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:10:03 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Christopher,

Interesting tale on the car.  I've had somewhat the same happen to me, but
that's another story.

Be sure I'll never use this technician again.  I've owned computers since
1989 and have never needed any work done ever.  Oh sure, I've had hard
drives die, but I was able to replace them myself.  In fact, I've done all
installations of memory, tape drive, slave hard drives, etc. myself.  This
was just a case of where I know it was something beyond my "expertise."  I
should have taken it to Best Buy.

Thanks for your input.

Peter

From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Thanks, Vince, for your input.  The more I think about this situation, the
> madder I get.  I should have suspected something when he first opened up
the
> computer.  He stated that my floppy disk drive wasn't even connected.
Gee,
> that's funny; I just used it less than a week ago.  I know I should have
> said something when he started messing with my settings, but it was all
done
> before I could get a word in.  Not only that, he went into msconfig and
> disabled the option where scandisk runs after a bad shutdown.  I
immediately
> went back in a changed it back.
>
> I'm a bit more conservative than you with respect to energy usage, etc.  I
> have my monitor shut off after 5 minutes (I don't use screen saver); hard
> disk off after 15 minutes; and system standby after 30 minutes.
>
> Thanks again for your input.
>
> Peter

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:07:59 -0000
   From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?

Annie, are you telling us that if there are 3 open browsers, the one
you click gets buried by the other two browsers and instead of
showing the clicked browsers, the other two get on top instead?

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Richard Wampler
<rtwamps@...> wrote:

Annie,
This happens to me too.  Not constant or consistent rather
occasionally.  I can not figure when or why it happens.  On the days
or times it happens it just keeps happening.  Maybe memory related?
As in how long the pc has been on (time wise)?
rick

> >I know it sounds weird but I will try to explain.  Ok I just
opened this window (<http://groups.yaho.com.....)
http://groups.yaho.com.....) in IE and the windows page flipped to
another IE open.  Seems like the page I started viewing ends up 3
pages away and I have to alt + tab til I find my original page...
Does that make sense?  It happens all the time.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@> wrote:
I still do not understand what she meant by "pages flipping". Annie?
Please we need more info.

Message: 8
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:23:49 -0000
   From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??

Although you may find YDS to be a nice program, it is somewhat CPU-
intensive while indexing. However, running it in low priority mode
maybe able to fix this. Just launch Task Manager and look for YDS in
Processes tab and rightclick it, then choose "Set Priority". Then
finally choose LOW. Have you tried using Copernic Desktop Search
instead? It seems to be a lot less buggy than any other similar
program in its genre and far more superior in other features. Personal
CDS is free.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Annie" <cosmaann@...>
wrote:
I can't find any help from their forum or any forum and I love YDS but
it does freeze a lot etc......
Annie

Message: 9
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:36:54 -0000
   From: "officialbizniz" <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows ME

You mean you are setting your PC to standby or hibernate?

<petervc@...> wrote:

> Thanks, Tom, for the reply.  Well, it's too late now.  He's come
and gone, and, yes, it was the power supply.
I do have another question, though.  This guy didn't like my 'screen
saver' settings, where I had my hard disk turn off after a certain
length of time.
He said it's hard on the drive (no pun intended) and that I should
just let the thing keep running.  I usually turn my computer on in
the morning, then check email, etc.  I leave it on, then check back
every hour or so for new emails, etc.  Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Peter

   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SA19631] Firefox Multiple Vulnerabilities

Secunia Security Advisories

  TITLE:
Firefox Multiple Vulnerabilities

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA19631

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19631/

CRITICAL:
Highly critical

IMPACT:
Security Bypass, Cross Site Scripting, Spoofing, Exposure of sensitive
information, DoS, System access

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
Mozilla Firefox 0.x
http://secunia.com/product/3256/
Mozilla Firefox 1.x
http://secunia.com/product/4227/

Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Firefox, which can be
exploited by malicious people to conduct cross-site scripting and phishing
attacks, bypass certain security restrictions, disclose sensitive
information, and potentially compromise a user's system.

1) An error exists where JavaScript can be injected into another page,
which is currently loading. This can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML
and script code in a user's browser session in context of an arbitrary site.

2) An error in the garbage collection in the JavaScript engine can be
exploited to cause a memory corruption.

Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.

3) A boundary error in the CSS border rendering implementation may be
exploited to write past the end of an array.

4) An integer overflow in the handling of overly long regular expressions
in JavaScript may be exploited to execute arbitrary JavaScript bytecode.

5) Two errors in the handling of "-moz-grid" and "-moz-grid-group" display
styles may be exploited to execute arbitrary code.

6) An error in the "InstallTrigger.install()" method can be exploited to
cause a memory corruption.

7) An unspecified error can be exploited to spoof the secure lock icon and
the address bar by changing the location of a pop-up window in certain
situations.

Successful exploitation requires that the "Entering secure site" dialog has
been enabled (not enabled by default).

8) It is possible to trick users into downloading malicious files via the
"Save image as..." menu option.

9) A JavaScript function created via an "eval()" call associated with a
method of an XBL binding may be compiled with incorrect privileges.
This can be exploited to execute arbitrary code.

10) An error where the "Object.watch()" method exposes the internal "clone
parent" function object can be exploited to execute arbitrary JavaScript
code with escalated privileges.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

11) An error in the protection of the compilation scope of built-in
privileged XBL bindings can be exploited to execute arbitrary JavaScript
code with escalated privileges.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

12) An unspecified error can be exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and
script code in a user's browser session in context of an arbitrary site via
the window.controllers array.

13) An error in the processing of a certain sequence of HTML tags can be
exploited to cause a memory corruption.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

14) An error in the "valueOf.call()" and "valueOf.apply()" methods can be
exploited to execute arbitrary HTML and script code in a user's browser
session in context of an arbitrary site.

15) Some errors in the DHTML implementation can be exploited to cause a
memory corruption.

Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.

16) An integer overflow error in the processing of the CSS letter-spacing
property can be exploited to cause a heap-based buffer overflow.

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

17) An error in the handling of file upload controls can be exploited to
upload arbitrary files from a user's system by e.g. dynamically changing a
text input box to a file upload control.

18) An unspecified error in the "crypto.generateCRMFRequest()" method can
be exploited to execute arbitrary code.

19) An error in the handling of scripts in XBL controls can be exploited to
gain chrome privileges via the "Print Preview" functionality.

20) An error in a security check in the "js_ValueToFunctionObject()" method
can be exploited to execute arbitrary code via "setTimeout()" and "ForEach".

21) An error in the interaction between XUL content windows and the history
mechanism can be exploited to trick users into interacting with a browser
user interface which is not visible.

Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.

SOLUTION:
Update to versions 1.0.8 or 1.5.0.2.
http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
1, 9, 10, 12, 18, 20) shutdown
2) Igor Bukanov
3) Bernd Mielke
4) Alden D'Souza
5) Martijn Wargers
6) Bob Clary
7) Tristor
8) Michael Krax
11, 14, 21) moz_bug_r_a4
13, 16) TippingPoint and the Zero Day Initiative
17) Claus Jørgensen and Jesse Ruderman
19) Georgi Guninski

ORIGINAL ADVISORY:
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-09.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-10.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-11.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-12.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-13.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-14.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-15.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-16.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-17.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-18.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-19.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-20.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-22.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-23.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-24.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-25.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-28.html
http://www.mozilla.org/security/announce/2006/mfsa2006-29.html

About:
This Advisory was delivered by Secunia as a free service to help everybody
keeping their systems up to date against the latest vulnerabilities.

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 11

   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:08:09 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SA19649] Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities

Secunia Security Advisories

  TITLE:
Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA19649

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19649/

CRITICAL:
Highly critical

IMPACT:
Security Bypass, Exposure of sensitive information, System access

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
Mozilla SeaMonkey 1.x
http://secunia.com/product/9126/

Multiple vulnerabilities have been reported in Mozilla SeaMonkey, which can
be exploited by malicious people to bypass certain security restrictions,
disclose sensitive information, and compromise a user's system.

For more information, see vulnerabilities #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, and
#21 in:
SA19631

SOLUTION:
Update to version 1.0.1.

OTHER REFERENCES:
SA19631:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19631/

About:
This Advisory was delivered by Secunia as a free service to help everybody
keeping their systems up to date against the latest vulnerabilities.

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 13
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:30:52 -0700
   From: "Ken Hollingsworth" <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Casper.  I hadn't heard of that one, and I'm sorry to say,
it didn't do anything when I just tried it.

Ken

On 4/14/06, casper <officialbizniz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ken, have you tried using WinsockFix?
>

> Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>    I'm attempting to clean out an old eMachine with Win 98
> on it.  When I got it, it would connect to the net, and other computers
on my LAN.  The complaint was viruses, and a general tune-up, updates,
etc....

>  I downloaded many Windows updates, downloaded
> AVG free, and at some point in that process, and after
> rebooting many times - I now get an error when I try to
> connect - IPCfgDLL.DLL is linked to missing Wsock32.DLL -
>
> I find both files in place in the /Windows/system folder where they are
supposed to be.  Even though I can't connect to the net - I can connect to
the LAN sporadically - sometimes not.

> The machine had 64mb of Ram, and I added 64 - it now runs pretty good,
other than failing to connect to the net.
> Any suggestions before I re-install 98?  I don't think the machine is
strong enough for XP.

> Ken Hollingsworth
>

> Don't mistreat any foreigners who live in your land. Instead, treat them
as well as you treat citizens and love them as much as you love
yourself....[Thus says] the Lord your God.

> ==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:38:09 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm setting it to standby.  I don't think there is a hibernate feature on
Windows ME.

Peter Churukian wrote:
[...]

Message: 15
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 17:32:30 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Doesn't Hibernate apply to laptobs, not Desktops?

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 16
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 21:28:03 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

No, you can protect ME - it's just harder, because it's based on the 9x
architecture and has just too many avenues for viruses to approach.  I'd
bet on the power supply.  Every time I ever heard that pop, that's what
it was.

Maybe look for another tech.  I dislike ME greatly, but I'll work on it.
  I hate OE, but I work on that too.  I don't work on 95 anymore, but
only because it's pointless.

On or about 4/12/2006 10:33 PM, the one known as Peter Churukian was
rumoured to have uttered...
> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.
(I know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer
laptop (which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/