[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1721

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:57:24 -0700

           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Windows ME
           From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Windows ME
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:33:36 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Windows ME

I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.
(I know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one can't
protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer laptop
(which has Windows XP Home).

Thank you.

Peter

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:11:58 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows ME

I'd get a different computer tech.

Dennis Jenkins

> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.  (I
know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer laptop
(which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:00:47 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yeah, I believe I'd look elsewhere for tech support.  WindowsME is
perfectly capable of running AV programs and being protected, just like
any other Windows OS.  WindowsME, however, is built on the Win98
platform that is by design less secure than Win2K or WinXP.  There is
essentially no security in the Windows ME operating system.

The load 'pop' could very well be the power supply. You will need to
make sure of the type of power connectors so that the power supply is
replaced with one that is compatible with that motherboard.  Not a
difficult task but one that has to be done right.

Tom

Peter Churukian wrote:
> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.
(I know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer
laptop (which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:32:54 -0500
   From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: MS Updates

Hi:

I did the critical updates for this month and had horrible results.  I
couldn't save any Word documents to particular folders (only a My Doc
folder), my Deep Burner program wouldn't open a folder list to find files
update, the Java Virtual Machine wouldn't load for my online school and I
completely lost a file (for school) while trying to save it.

Has anyone been notified concerning a fix for the fixes or has anyone else
had any weird things going on since installing the updates for 4-12-06?

Thanks!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 5
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:24:18 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Dennis, for the reply.  However, it's too late now, but my computer
is fixed.  See my reply to Tom Hunt.  I pose another question.

Peter

> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.  (I
know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer laptop
(which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 6
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:28:31 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Tom, for the reply.  Well, it's too late now.  He's come and gone,
and, yes, it was the power supply.

I do have another question, though.  This guy didn't like my 'screen saver'
settings, where I had my hard disk turn off after a certain length of time.
He said it's hard on the drive (no pun intended) and that I should just let
the thing keep running.  I usually turn my computer on in the morning, then
check email, etc.  I leave it on, then check back every hour or so for new
emails, etc.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Peter

Peter Churukian wrote:
> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a computer
tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with Windows ME (ca.
5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes, that is until earlier
today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the unit "died."  My non-technical mind
feels it must be something to due to the power supply.  I called a local
tech, and when he heard I had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an
attempt to fix.  In fact he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His
reason was that I won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I
currently have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.  (I
know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)  I
convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my computer up
and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that one
can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my newer laptop
(which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 7
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:11:36 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Macros

Would someone send me somewhere to learn how to make a macro in
replying to an email in Outlook?  What I have read on Microsoft help
is total greek to me. Thanks Annie

Message: 8
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:05:58 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <dennis.jenkins@xxxxxxxxx>

I've had my hd's fall asleep during some downloads.  I'm not a big fan of
turning them off.  I've also had some problems in the distant past with
"screensavers."  Don't use them either.

Dennis Jenkins

> Thanks, Dennis, for the reply.  However, it's too late now, but my
computer
> is fixed.  See my reply to Tom Hunt.  I pose another question.
>
> Peter

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:10:01 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The short answer is that letting things run all the time is mostly bunk.
  Nothing needs to run constantly unless it has a specific job to do.
I'm not sure where this myth got started or what has kept it alive but
it wastes energy and it wears out components.

Two things tend to go in harddrives and that's the bearings or the head
seek mechanism.  Leaving a drive spinning all the time will wear out the
bearing and a fragmented drive will wear out the seek mechanism.
Harddrives are designed to spin up and waking a drive for a period of
use is not harmful to it. Spinning it up over and over, every 10 minutes
would be but not in the course of regular use in a system.  I set all my
drives to spin down and can often work on the system for quite a while
before the harddrive spins up as it is being accessed.  I have older
Pentium systems that I use as test beds and sometimes they can get
turned on and off 50 times a day; they're still going strong.

So turn things off when not in use.  Set the monitor to shut down, set
the harddrives to spin down and shut the entire system down when not in
use for extended periods, like over night.  Your equipment will last
longer and your electricity bill will be less.

Another thing to keep in mind is that every computer is a vacuum
cleaner.  Anytime that system is running, it's sucking in dust and crud
from the air around it.  Even in the cleanest homes dust can build up on
the inside quite rapidly. Less runtime is less dust accumulation.

Tom

Peter Churukian wrote:
> Thanks, Tom, for the reply.  Well, it's too late now.  He's come and gone,
> and, yes, it was the power supply.
>
> I do have another question, though.  This guy didn't like my 'screen
saver'
> settings, where I had my hard disk turn off after a certain length of
time.
> He said it's hard on the drive (no pun intended) and that I should just
let
> the thing keep running.  I usually turn my computer on in the morning,
then
> check email, etc.  I leave it on, then check back every hour or so for new
> emails, etc.  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

Message: 10
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:11:35 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <roversouth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Macros

Try here:  http://personal-computer-tutor.com/

Linda knows all about that stuff.

Tom

Annie wrote:
> Would someone send me somewhere to learn how to make a macro in
> replying to an email in Outlook?  What I have read on Microsoft help
> is total greek to me. Thanks Annie

Message: 11
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:57:17 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Tom.  This tech who installed a new power source went into my
'screen saver' settings and changed everything I had already set up, which
to say the least pissed me off.  As soon as he left my house I went back and
put everything back to the way it was.  I don't use a screen saver; I just
have the screen go blank (shut down) after a short amount of time.  I have
the hard drive turn off a short time after that.

Peter

Peter Churukian wrote:
> Thanks, Tom, for the reply.  Well, it's too late now.  He's come and gone,
> and, yes, it was the power supply.
>
> I do have another question, though.  This guy didn't like my 'screen
saver'
> settings, where I had my hard disk turn off after a certain length of
time.
> He said it's hard on the drive (no pun intended) and that I should just
let
> the thing keep running.  I usually turn my computer on in the morning,
then
> check email, etc.  I leave it on, then check back every hour or so for new
> emails, etc.  Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Peter

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 12
   Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:58:10 -0500
   From: "Peter Churukian" <petervc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks for the reply, Dennis.  See my latest reply to Tom's answer.

Peter

> Thanks, Dennis, for the reply.  However, it's too late now, but my
computer
> is fixed.  See my reply to Tom Hunt.  I pose another question.
>
> Peter

Message: 13
   Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 02:52:17 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Are you sure your guy is a tech or a tech wanna-be.

Everyone has their own opinion of what they should do on shutting
down systems. The um tech you hired should have atleast consulted
with you about why you had your settings they way you do and ask if
it was ok to change them. Even if it was important to change them
when it comes to personal settings he should have atleast explained
his reasons for making the changes. Changing things like that would
be like someone coming into your house and changing your theromstat
without asking or re-arranging your furniture.

As for my opinion here is what I do and why, but again it is just me
what you do is up to your own decision.

Set screen saver for 10 minutes. Reason if sitting at home at night
in the dark when my dark screen saver comes on the room dims and it
remindes me that my computer is still on and if I am not going to
use it anymore I can go turn it off.

Set monitor to go off in 20 minutes. Reason if I don't turn off the
computer atleast there will be less burinig of the monitor to wear
it our and less energey drain on the system.

Set hard drives to shut down in one hour. Reason again if I get busy
doing something else maybe even for hours the computer will use less
energy and not wear out the hard drive as fast.

I replace many hard drives at work because they run non stop and do
not shut down after an hour. This is fine during business hours but
we don't shut our computers off at night and the hard drives are
spinning for atleast 12 hours with no use at all. These drives tend
to wear out in just about 2-21/2 years.

Once I turn my computer on for the day usually in the evening I will
let it run until bed time. At that time I will turn it off. Again to
save energy and to keep it clean. The longer it runs the dirtier it
gets and the faster it wears out. Just think if you started your car
and always left it running so you don't have to start it every time
you get in. Yes you will save on the wear and tear of the starter
but what about the rest of the car.

Again this is just what I do. I know many people that I work on
computers for that never turn off the machines and use different
settings. It is all just a personal thing.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Peter Churukian"
<petervc@...> wrote:

> I need a little clarification before I make an "argument" to a
computer tech.  I have a somewhat aged Gateway 1.5 Ghz computer with
Windows ME (ca. 5 yrs old).  It works fine and suits my purposes,
that is until earlier today.  I heard a loud "pop" and the
unit "died."  My non-technical mind feels it must be something to
due to the power supply.  I called a local tech, and when he heard I
had Windows ME, he was reluctant to make an attempt to fix.  In fact
he said to junk my machine and get a new one.  His reason was that I
won't be able to get antivirus software to protect it.  I currently
have Norton Internet Security 2005, and it seems to work fine.  (I
know; I know; anything Norton is not cool, but it serves me well.)
I convinced him to come tomorrow anyway to see if he can get my
computer up and running again.

> My question is: is there any truth to this person's argument that
one can't protect Windows ME machines from viruses?

> If anyone is wondering, I writing and sending this note on my
newer laptop (which has Windows XP Home).

> Thank you.
>
> Peter

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here