[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1719

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:52:18 -0700

There are 11 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: A-squared suspicious objects.
           From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: A-squared suspicious objects.
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Out of  Memory
           From: "lydia714_2000" <papilio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
      6. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
      7. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: Richard Wampler <rtwamps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??
           From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. RE: File that won't delete IS NOW GONE!
           From: "matrix.afghanz" <matrix.afghanz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:52:29 +1200
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.

On 4/11/06, foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Which version do you have?

1.5.0.1 :)

I said i d/loaded a new version just a week ago -

Yahoo Archives by email = Yes
http://groups.kwister.com/owners.php#add
NZ community groups - community@xxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 03:53:40 -0400
   From: "Howard" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A-squared suspicious objects.

Delete them.
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:28:38 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>

Ricky:

I trust A2 and dump whatever it says. The worst that can happen is that you
have to reinstall Netscape.

I've fooled around with the registry and screwed it up and had to do repair
installations of XP. Again, no big deal unless you need your computer for
work.

Steve
NH

Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:    Hello everybody,

 After running an a-squared scan, I got the following suspicious objects -

 *Object*       *Diagnosis*

Message: 4
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:03:35 -0000
   From: "lydia714_2000" <papilio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Out of  Memory

I have an 800 MHz Pentium III Computer,384 MB of ram.I get an "Out
of Memory" Box: Across the Top it says "Microsoft Works" with a Red
X to close @ upper right corner, inside the  white Box says Out of
Memory with an X inside a RED circle.This only occurs when I'm
working on a spreadsheet in Microsoft Works & click on file &
PRINT."First Time Help" also appears & wants to give m a tour  I
only have data in Columns A to E and rows 1 to 16, right now. When I
did get it to Print, printer kept on going to row #245,(even though
I had no data beyond row 16); I had to cancel printing in printer
documents. I work on this spreadsheet monthly & save in my
documents, never had any problem before.I start a new sheet every
January.Tonight instead of opening the existing saved spreadsheet,
I started a new sheet and made new entries for, January, February
and March and when I clicked print, "Out of memory" message appeared
immediately.I usually print with the gridlines. I can print other
items without problems either items saved in my Documents or new
selections to print. When this happens the Hourglass seems to be
just floating around my desktop and not responding & I hear repeated
BEEPS three beeps, then 2 I think.
I Click ctrl, alt, delete, and get task Manager and click "end
program" on the not responding Microsoft Works. Across bottom of
Task Manager it Says: Processes 55, CPU usage 2%, Comit Change:
340M/92.  Thank you for your help, otherwise I can't upate my Home
Ofice .  Lydia

Message: 5
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:58:31 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?

I know it sounds weird but I will try to explain.  Ok I just opened
this window (http://groups.yaho.com.....) in IE and the windows page
flipped to another IE open.  Seems like the page I started viewing
ends up 3 pages away and I have to alt + tab til I find my original
page...  Does that make sense?  It happens all the time.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, foofaraw in the middle
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@...> wrote:

> I still do not understand what she meant by "pages flipping". Annie?
Please we need more info.

Message: 6
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:09:52 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>

AVG free but this happened while I still had the Norton that came with
my new laptop!  I have a squared but it is new also.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Murray White <phymur@...>
wrote:

> first questions I 'd have -- what AV scanner if any is being used?
what spyware cleaners are being used? when did this first occur?
possibly use a system restore if the user is on an XP o/s.

>   MW
>
>I Run Wxp. Office 2003, IE (latest version) etc
>
> I am having a problem with my IE pages flipping while I am surfing
or doing
> anything on computer (esp on laptop)
>
> Annie

Message: 7
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:16:31 -0500
   From: Richard Wampler <rtwamps@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Annie,

This happens to me too.  Not constant or consistent rather occasionally.  I
can not figure when or why it happens.  On the days or times it happens it
just keeps happening.  Maybe memory related?  As in how long the pc has
been on (time wise)?

rick

>I know it sounds weird but I will try to explain.  Ok I just opened
>this window (<http://groups.yaho.com.....)>http://groups.yaho.com.....) in
>IE and the windows page
>flipped to another IE open.  Seems like the page I started viewing
>ends up 3 pages away and I have to alt + tab til I find my original
>page...  Does that make sense?  It happens all the time.
>
>--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, foofaraw in the middle
><foofaraw_in_the_middle@...> wrote:
> >
> > I still do not understand what she meant by "pages flipping". Annie?
>Please we need more info.
>

>==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
><http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

>    *

>    *
>    *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

Message: 8
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:35:01 -0000
   From: "Annie" <cosmaann@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??

I can't find any help from their forum or any forum and I love YDS but
it does freeze alot etc......  Annie

Message: 9
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 16:19:51 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Does anyone use YDS - yahoo desktop search??

Annie:

Google Desktop had an exploit which allowed bad people to break into
computers; it also froze my computer. I don't use it. I don't know anything
about the Yahoo variety but the whole idea kind of creeps me out.

Steve
NH

Annie <cosmaann@xxxxxxx> wrote:    I can't find any help from their forum
or any forum and I love YDS but
 it does freeze alot etc......  Annie

Message: 10
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:23:03 -0700
   From: "matrix.afghanz" <matrix.afghanz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: File that won't delete IS NOW GONE!

I wanted to write back and report to the list that I was able to finally
delete that pesky file and it's twin by using the program that Paris sent a
link for;
<<<http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm   I hope this is of some help.
Paris>>>
Thanks to all who sent ideas on what else to try. I used to know the DOS
commands to change the file attributes, but I'm not sure if I can get to
DOS with WinXP, and the properties page would not let me do it from within
XP.
I did try safe mode, but the files would not show up in safe mode.
I 'm not sure just how this file was created, other than knowing that it
originally was a set of scanned photos that were sent to a yahoogroup. I'm
on digest mode, so I can not see any of the attached photos. It almost
seems like what she sent me ended up being an empty link to either her
computer, the yahoogroup itself, or maybe even the person's PC that the
pictures originated from... (If such a thing is possible) Hopefully my
friend will learn the correct way to share photos the next time... and I'll
be wiser to make sure it contains more than 0 bytes before I save it!
Thanks again! Lisa

Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Message: 11
   Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 01:30:53 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

maybe do a hijack this and send the log to Sean and see if he finds
anything that could be creating the problem. Of course you could also do
the analyze yourself before contacting Sean so you have an idea of what to
do in the future.

  MW

wrote:

> first questions I 'd have -- what AV scanner if any is being used?
what spyware cleaners are being used? when did this first occur?
possibly use a system restore if the user is on an XP o/s.

> MW
>
>I Run Wxp. Office 2003, IE (latest version) etc
>
> I am having a problem with my IE pages flipping while I am surfing
or doing
> anything on computer (esp on laptop)
>
> Annie

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/