[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1718

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:44:11 -0700

There are 12 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: File that won't delete
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: File that won't delete
           From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Re: File that won't delete
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Re: File that won't delete
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Re: File that won't delete
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Problem with enabling/choosing a default program in Windows XP
Pro
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. A-squared suspicious objects.
           From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: A-squared suspicious objects.
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:50:57 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: File that won't delete

You could try a program called CopyLock.

I have yet to try it my self but I recommended it to others that
have tried it and said they got good results.

The website itself does not state what versions of windows the
program works on. There are two review sites that I will list and
one says all windows and the other lists all but XP (maybe an
oversite). You could always confirm with the creator if it will work
on XP>

The Site that failed to state if it works on XP only lists freeware
with no spies. I get all my programs there.

Please check out all links then decied it you wish to try the
program.

http://tinyurl.com/rr9n6
http://tinyurl.com/oo5kj
http://tinyurl.com/p746z

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "matrix.afghanz"
<matrix.afghanz@...> wrote:

> I have a file that I can't delete. It came as an attachment from a
friend. It was supposed to be a few photos that came from a yahoo
group that she is on. I was never able to view the photos, nor find
anything suitable on my PC that would let me view them. When I
opened and saved the attachment to my specified folder, there were
two files... I was able to delete one, but the other will not go
away. I have tried to rename it, change it's extension, and move it,
but it won't comply. The extension is named, "file" and it appears
ghosted out. It shows as 0 bytes.
> I have the original email saved to disk, which I tried downloading
the attachment again, thinking I could try deleting them both
together, yet I only ended up with the same situation, and now I
have two of the darned "file" (s ) that refuse to budge!
> I googled, and found a nifty program called, Move on Boot.
Unfortunately, no success in getting rid of my problem file. Is
there anything else I can try?
> Thanks, Lisa
>
>  Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:52:11 -0000
   From: "parisiengarcon" <garconparisien@xxxxxxx>

Hi Lisa

This looks like an interesting article that you may find useful on
The Ask Leo site?  He explains that some characters in the file name
be hidden making it difficult to delete.http://ask-
leo.com/why_cant_i_delete_this_file.html

He refers to delinvfile, short for Delete Invalid File, from
Assistance & Resources for Computing, Inc. It's a free Windows
program that uses standard controls for drives, folders, and files to
navigate to the folder and to select the file to be deleted. Push a
button, and it's gone.

Delinvfile can be deleted from http://www.purgeie.com/delinv/index.htm

I hope this is of some help

Paris

<matrix.afghanz@...> wrote:

> I have a file that I can't delete. It came as an attachment from a
friend. It was supposed to be a few photos that came from a yahoo
group that she is on. I was never able to view the photos, nor find
anything suitable on my PC that would let me view them. When I opened
and saved the attachment to my specified folder, there were two
files... I was able to delete one, but the other will not go away. I
have tried to rename it, change it's extension, and move it, but it
won't comply. The extension is named, "file" and it appears ghosted
out. It shows as 0 bytes.
> I have the original email saved to disk, which I tried downloading
the attachment again, thinking I could try deleting them both
together, yet I only ended up with the same situation, and now I have
two of the darned "file" (s ) that refuse to budge!
> I googled, and found a nifty program called, Move on Boot.
Unfortunately, no success in getting rid of my problem file. Is there
anything else I can try?
> Thanks, Lisa
>
>  Lord, please make me the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:24:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: File that won't delete

I had a similar problem some time ago (Win98SE) with a
file with a filename apparently constructed from ASCII
codes.  Couldn't decipher filename for deleting.

Solved the problem by first moving all the other files
out of the folder, then going into DOS mode; going to
the subject folder, then entering a wildcard comand:

del *.*   Was able to " beat the system". Don't know
whether XP's command line service will do this

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:27:54 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Lisa, are you sure the file came from your friend or someone spoofing your
friend's email address? Did you verify from your friend?

<matrix.afghanz@...> wrote:

> I have a file that I can't delete. It came as an attachment from a
friend. It was supposed to be a few photos that came from a yahoo group
that she is on. I was never able to view the photos, nor find anything
suitable on my PC that would let me view them. When I opened and saved the
attachment to my specified folder, there were two files... I was able to
delete one, but the other will not go away. I have tried to rename it,
change it's extension, and move it, but it won't comply. The extension is
named, "file" and it appears ghosted out. It shows as 0 bytes.
> I have the original email saved to disk, which I tried downloading the
attachment again, thinking I could try deleting them both together, yet I
only ended up with the same situation, and now I have two of the darned
"file" (s ) that refuse to budge!
> I googled, and found a nifty program called, Move on Boot.
Unfortunately, no success in getting rid of my problem file. Is there
anything else I can try?
Thanks,
  Lisa

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 20:35:15 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

XP is not DOS-based. However, you could do that using the Recovery Console
but it is not installed by default. And if by now you have not installed it
and you have installed SP2, I think you MIGHT meet some serious issues
unless you jump through hoops and rings of fire first....hehe.

  Lisa, have you tried deleting the file in Safe Mode?

Message: 6
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:23:19 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problem with enabling/choosing a default program in Windows XP
Pro

  You must also configure any other e-mail clients you run to not attempt
to be the default e-mail client or it will undo it. For example, in Outlook
Express you may need to press a button in "Tools -> Options -> General ->
Default Messaging Programs" to make the dialog box say "This application is
NOT the default mail handler". Note that the calendar in Outlook will not
work unless Outlook is the default email client.

  In Thunderbird, you can just go to "Tools -> Options
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Menu_differences_in_Windows%2C_Linux%2C_and_Mac>
-> General" and then select "Use Thunderbird as the default mail
application". (In the Mozilla Suite, go to "Edit -> Preferences -> Mail &
Newsgroups" and select "Use Mozilla Mail as the default mail application".)
If that doesn't take effect right away, try restarting Thunderbird or even
the computer once.

  If you're running Windows XP you could download the DefaultMail utility
<http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultmail.htm> and use it to set the default
e-mail client. It can also do this on a per-user basis[1]
<http://windowsxp.mvps.org/permail.htm>. That's useful if several people
share a machine (with their own Windows user account) and each wants to use
a different e-mail client as the default e-mail client. More here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_mail_client

  If still the above does not work, it might very well be due to a corrupt
or malformed message that is choking up the POP server.

  Launch IE>click Tools>Internet Options>Programs tab. You can set separate
programs in there to be used as default for mail and for newsgroups. You
can send yourself an email, to test it. Make sure you have Thunderbird set
to automatically download mail. It'll be in the account settings. You will
find it in Tools>Accounts Server settings>account settings.

Reuven <groups@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  I tried today to choose Mozilla Thunderbird as my default email client.
I went to Start>Set Program Access and Defaults>Custom and choose
Thunderbird (also Enabled it by checking the box).

It doesn't work. When I followed the same procedure I noticed that
Thunderbird in NOT Enabled and NOT the default program, even though I just
selected it a minute ago.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Reuven

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 7
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:27:11 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: IE pages flipping while surfing?

This was sent privately by Annie to me for members' consideration and
assistance:

Cosma Ann Ballew <cosmaann@xxxxxxx> wrote:
    Hello I am Annie in Tulsa, OK Single 55
Redhead
Pretty good with computers, can build one from barebones, install about
anything, just know enough to mess up a computer real good
Run Wxp. Office 2003, IE (latest version) etc

One desktop hard wired to linksys wireless router and a new dell wireless
laptop connected by "wireless"

I am having a problem with my IE pages flipping while I am surfing or doing
anything on computer (esp on laptop)

  Annie

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 8
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 00:36:55 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Murray White <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IE pages flipping while surfing?

first questions I 'd have -- what AV scanner if any is being used? what
spyware cleaners are being used? when did this first occur? possibly use a
system restore if the user is on an XP o/s.

  MW

Cosma Ann Ballew wrote:
Hello I am Annie in Tulsa, OK Single 55
Redhead
Pretty good with computers, can build one from barebones, install about
anything, just know enough to mess up a computer real good
Run Wxp. Office 2003, IE (latest version) etc

One desktop hard wired to linksys wireless router and a new dell wireless
laptop connected by "wireless"

I am having a problem with my IE pages flipping while I am surfing or doing
anything on computer (esp on laptop)

Annie

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:43:31 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

I still do not understand what she meant by "pages flipping". Annie? Please
we need more info.

Cosma Ann Ballew wrote:
Hello I am Annie in Tulsa, OK Single 55
Redhead
Pretty good with computers, can build one from barebones, install about
anything, just know enough to mess up a computer real good
Run Wxp. Office 2003, IE (latest version) etc

One desktop hard wired to linksys wireless router and a new dell wireless
laptop connected by "wireless"

I am having a problem with my IE pages flipping while I am surfing or doing
anything on computer (esp on laptop)

Annie

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 10
   Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 21:59:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Networked PC's & Net Connections.

Which version do you have?

Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  On 4/9/06, Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gordon,
> It sounds like you are not running the latest version of Firefox --
v1.5.0.1.

> I saw this error often with 1.5.0, even with a PC running through a
router, and haven't seen it at all with 1.5.0.1 (knock on wood!).

> Terry

Ok - Hmm - im using the latest version, I only d/loaded it a few weeks
ago......

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 11
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:22:17 +0530
   From: Rakesh Tewary <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: A-squared suspicious objects.

Hello everybody,

After running an a-squared scan, I got the following suspicious objects -

*Object*        *Diagnosis*

Value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Automation
Protocols --> ftp       Trace.Registry.NetPumper
<http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Trace.Registry.NetPumper>

Value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\Automation
Protocols --> http      Trace.Registry.NetPumper
<http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Trace.Registry.NetPumper>

My problem is that since -
1) I donot know anything about this 'HKEY' thingy, and
2) It scares me because it mentions 'Registry' in the Diagnosis,
I am not sure whether to hit the 'Remove selected objects' button.

Will it be safe to remove these HKEY objects?

For my knowledge, what exactly are these HKEY objects?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Warm regards,
Ricky.

Message: 12
   Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:32:51 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: A-squared suspicious objects.

Whether or not you can remove those registry entries really depends a
lot on your system setup.Regardless,most malware programs can keep a
backup copy of delted files.I'm guessing a-squared can be configured
to do this.Perhaps someone with a-squared experience can answer that.

If you want to learn about the registry(your HKEY question) there's a
good tutorial here:

http://www.petri.co.il/before_you_begin.htm

Rich S

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rakesh Tewary
<rtewary@...> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> After running an a-squared scan, I got the following suspicious
objects -

> *Object*      *Diagnosis*
>
> Value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape
Navigator\Automation
> Protocols --> ftp     Trace.Registry.NetPumper
> <http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Trace.Registry.NetPumper>
>
> Value: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape
Navigator\Automation
> Protocols --> http    Trace.Registry.NetPumper
> <http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Trace.Registry.NetPumper>
>

> My problem is that since -
> 1) I donot know anything about this 'HKEY' thingy, and
> 2) It scares me because it mentions 'Registry' in the Diagnosis,
> I am not sure whether to hit the 'Remove selected objects' button.
>
> Will it be safe to remove these HKEY objects?
>
> For my knowledge, what exactly are these HKEY objects?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Warm regards,
> Ricky.

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/