[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1713

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 10:35:53 -0700

There are 3 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. MS Admits Only Solution to Malware Infestation: rebuild from
scratch
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: hosting query
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Online Bookmarks
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:41:47 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: MS Admits Only Solution to Malware Infestation: rebuild from
scratch

Microsoft Says Recovery from Malware Becoming Impossible

"When you are dealing with rootkits and some advanced spyware programs, the
only solution is to rebuild from scratch. In some cases, there really is no
way to recover without nuking the systems from orbit," Mike Danseglio,
program manager in the Security Solutions group at Microsoft, said in a
presentation at the InfoSec World conference here.

Offensive rootkits, which are used hide malware programs and maintain an
undetectable presence on an infected machine, have become the weapon of
choice for virus and spyware writers and, because they often use kernel
hooks to avoid detection, Danseglio said IT administrators may never know
if all traces of a rootkit have been successfully removed.

He cited a recent instance where an unnamed branch of the U.S. government
struggled with malware infestations on more than 2,000 client machines. "In
that case, it was so severe that trying to recover was meaningless. They
did not have an automated process to wipe and rebuild the systems, so it
became a burden. They had to design a process real fast," Danseglio added.

"Detection is difficult, and remediation is often impossible," Danseglio
declared. "If it doesn't crash your system or cause your system to freeze,
how do you know it's there? The answer is you just don't know. Lots of
times, you never see the infection occur in real time, and you don't see
the malware lingering or running in the background."

  He recommended using PepiMK Software's SpyBot Search & Destroy, Mark
Russinovich's RootkitRevealer and Microsoft's own Windows Defender, all
free utilities that help with malware detection and cleanup, and urged CIOs
to take a defense-in-depth approach to preventing infestations.

(A lot more info at the site. Please read the article for your own sake.)

For evil to prosper requires only that good men remain silent!
  MCH FORUMS (free registration)
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary
security deserve neither liberty nor security.

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 05:28:00 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hosting query

I have been using TZO.com for several years and have been very happy
with them. Their website shows some programs you can sign up for but
they will customize any way you want.

For instance I have my name registered one place, the name server
another and my hosting with TZO. With all of the good service they
give I will be moving everything there when it is time to renew.
(took 5 years on name and dns)

Here is the real cool part. I had an issue last month were they
moved me to a new server and did not realize that I was controling
my own name servers. Anyway it was their mistake and they gave me
additional months credit for making the mistake, not only that I was
given the Cell Phone number of one of the main guys and we fixed all
of these issues on a Sunday Afternoon. They helped me once before on
a Sunday afternoon too. Where else can you talk to a top dog on a
personal cell phone on a Sunday.

I have no plans to leave them unless something goes very bad.

Hope this helps.
Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "francolondra"
<francolondra@...> wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone knows a reliable hosting company?
>
> Thank you very much for your time.

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 05:22:18 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Online Bookmarks

Hello:

Just found some time today to play a bit and was wondering if anyone
has tried any of the online bookmark websites.  Yes I know that you
can store your bookmarks on My Yahoo but some of the others look a bit
better with a small window like a messenger that opens the page you
are trying to get to in a new window. They are usually shareable.

So what I am hoping to find here are good and bad comments about
sites, such things as who gives you spyware and who don't, who is
reliable and who is not.

Thanks for any input that come this direction.
Vince

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here