[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1712

  • From: "Mike the mod" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:26:15 -0700

There are 14 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Spelling "corecrtion"
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Spelling "corecrtion"
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Spelling "corecrtion"
           From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. OT: Kinda Cool
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: OT: Kinda Cool
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. [SA19521] Internet Explorer Window Loading Race Condition Address
Bar Spoofing
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Spelling corecrtion
           From: "Pamela B." <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: OT: Kinda Cool
           From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Spelling corecrtion
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. [SA19462] Mac OS X Firmware Password Bypass Vulnerability
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. [SA19451] McAfee VirusScan DUNZIP32.dll Buffer Overflow
Vulnerability
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: OT: Kinda Cool
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Spelling "corecrtion"
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Spelling "corecrtion"
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 01:04:00 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spelling "corecrtion"

John:

Right you are. It occurred to me that if we spent all our time correcting
errors, all of our computers would remain broken. I will therefore find
another hobby.

Steve
NH

 And Steve, I assume that you meant to write..."does to
 your hair" rather than...." does to you hair"   ;-)

 Cheers,

 John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

Message: 2
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 03:30:40 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Steve,

But, no offence intended by my post...just a reminder
that we are all human.

I actually sometimes wish that when I send a message,
it would lay in cyber-limbo until I can read it again
before it wings its way into the ether.

I often think, 'how could that grammatical or other
error have been initiated from these old fingers'.

Cheers,

John Lehn
--- Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> John:
>
> Right you are. It occurred to me that if we spent
> all our time correcting errors, all of our computers
> would remain broken. I will therefore find another
> hobby.
>
> Steve
> NH
>

>  And Steve, I assume that you meant to write..."does
>  your hair" rather than...." does to you hair"   ;-)
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

> removed]

Message: 3
   Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 09:54:50 -0500
   From: Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

One trick I use is to remove the "To" address (and any CC or BCC
addresses) and copy it into the draft email temporarily.

That way, I can compose the most flaming email I want -- without
accidentally sending it.  Then, I can edit it to a more acceptable
version or not even send it.  If I click on the "send" button, the
email program stops and tells me I haven't addressed it to anyone.

Whether I'm sending a carefully constructed business email or a
response to an inane comment, this trick let's me absolutely sure
that I'm ready to send the email.  [Ever clicked Send "automatically"
without remembering to attach the attachment?  I used to realize it
immediately, but it was too late...]

I don't use it all the time, but, it's nice when I really want to
have that fail-safe.

Terry

--
Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
My tips site and free newsletter:  http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com

At 05:30 AM 4/4/2006, you wrote:
>Hi Steve,
>
>But, no offence intended by my post...just a reminder
>that we are all human.
>
>I actually sometimes wish that when I send a message,
>it would lay in cyber-limbo until I can read it again
>before it wings its way into the ether.
>
>I often think, 'how could that grammatical or other
>error have been initiated from these old fingers'.
>
>Cheers,
>
>John Lehn
>--- Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > John:
> >
> > Right you are. It occurred to me that if we spent
> > all our time correcting errors, all of our computers
> > would remain broken. I will therefore find another
> > hobby.
> >
> > Steve
> > NH
> >

> >  And Steve, I assume that you meant to write..."does
> >  your hair" rather than...." does to you hair"   ;-)
> >
> >  Cheers,
> >
> >  John Lehn (Sydney Australia)

Message: 4
   Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 22:04:41 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: OT: Kinda Cool

Saw this on the News.
===========
On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00
in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.

That won't ever happen again.

You may now return to your (normal ?) life.
===========
Rich S

Message: 5
   Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 17:15:42 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: OT: Kinda Cool

What's normal?

Rich S wrote:

> Saw this on the News.
> ===========
> On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00
> in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.
>
> That won't ever happen again.
>
> You may now return to your (normal ?) life.
> ===========
> Rich S

Message: 6
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 18:58:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SA19521] Internet Explorer Window Loading Race Condition Address
Bar Spoofing

Secunia Security Advisories

  TITLE:
Internet Explorer Window Loading Race Condition Address Bar Spoofing

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA19521

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19521/

CRITICAL:
Less critical

IMPACT:
Spoofing

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x
http://secunia.com/product/11/

Hai Nam Luke has discovered a vulnerability in Internet Explorer, which can
be exploited by malicious people to conduct phishing attacks.

The vulnerability is caused due to a race condition in the loading of web
content and Macromedia Flash Format files (".swf") in browser windows. This
can be exploited to spoof the address bar in a browser window showing a
Flash file from a malicious web site.

NOTE: The impact of exploitation is reduced because the URL of the
malicious Flash file is visible in the title of the browser window.

The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP1/SP2. Other versions may
also be affected.

SOLUTION:
Disable Active Scripting support.

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
Hai Nam Luke

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 7
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 19:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
   From: "Pamela B." <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx>

    Dear Foo:
  I always loved Spunky.  I hate to lose the important info from all of
you.  I always wished I were from Chicago, stuck in Kenosha Wi.  I love the
Cubs, Bears, Bulls and the Magic of Wrigley.
    Love,
  the rotten speller who got hit by  "Mother Nature".

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

==MOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding.==
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/messages

        Technical support   Computer security   Computer technical support
   Computer training   Computer problems

---------------------------------

Ciao, Bella!!!!!

Message: 8
   Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 22:37:56 -0500
   From: "Wyatt M. Portendt" <wyatt.m.portendt@xxxxxxxxx>

Sounds like a good excuse for a party.  <G>

On or about 4/4/2006 5:04 PM, the one known as Rich S was rumoured to
have uttered...
> Saw this on the News.
> ===========
> On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00
> in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.
>
> That won't ever happen again.
>
> You may now return to your (normal ?) life.
> ===========
> Rich S

Message: 9
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Pam, you are forgiven. LOL!! You can only misspell 3 times a year
though...haha...OK just joking. Anywho, love going to Wisconsin DELLS (say
is that owned by DELL? NOT!!) and to your annual SummerFEST and State Fair.
It is a freakin' good rockin' time. OOOOPPPSSS...sorry...that is showing my
age...LOL! Anytime there is beer and rock and roll, I think of Wisconsin
specially around this time. I probably will come down there again soon for
any of the above. Just don't tell my mom. <G>

"Pamela B." <caiobellanotte@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Dear Foo:
I always loved Spunky. I hate to lose the important info from all of you. I
always wished I were from Chicago, stuck in Kenosha Wi.  I love the Cubs,
Bears, Bulls and the Magic of Wrigley.

Love,
the rotten speller who got hit by "Mother Nature".

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 10
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 21:57:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SA19462] Mac OS X Firmware Password Bypass Vulnerability

Secunia Security Advisories

  TITLE:
Mac OS X Firmware Password Bypass Vulnerability

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA19462

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19462/

CRITICAL:
Less critical

IMPACT:
Security Bypass

WHERE:
Local system

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Apple Macintosh OS X
http://secunia.com/product/96/

A vulnerability has been reported in Mac OS X, which can be exploited by
malicious people with physical access to a system to bypass certain
security restrictions.

The vulnerability is caused due to an unspecified error and makes it
possible to bypass the firmware password and start-up an Intel-based
Macintosh computer in "Single User" mode.

SOLUTION:
Update to version 10.4.6.
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
The vendor credits David Pugh, University of Michigan.

ORIGINAL ADVISORY:
Apple:

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 11
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:08:32 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SA19451] McAfee VirusScan DUNZIP32.dll Buffer Overflow
Vulnerability

Secunia Security Advisories

  TITLE:
McAfee VirusScan DUNZIP32.dll Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA19451

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/19451/

CRITICAL:
Less critical

IMPACT:
System access

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
McAfee VirusScan 10.x
http://secunia.com/product/9052/
McAfee SecurityCenter 6.x
http://secunia.com/product/6437/

A vulnerability has been discovered in McAfee VirusScan, which potentially
can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.

The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error in a 3rd-party
compression library (DUNZIP32.dll) when processing virus definition files.
This can be exploited to cause a buffer overflow via a specially crafted
definition file.

The vulnerability is related to:
SA12869

Successful exploitation requires that the user is e.g. tricked into
updating the virus definition file from a malicious site.

The vulnerability has been reported in McAfee VirusScan version 10.0.21
included with McAfee SecurityCenter Agent version 6.0.0.16. Prior versions
may also be affected.

SOLUTION:
Update to the fixed version of DUNZUIP32.dll via online update.

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
Originally discovered by eEye Digital Security and NGSSoftware in
RealPlayer and RealOne.

Reported in McAfee VirusScan by:
Juha-Matti Laurio

ORIGINAL ADVISORY:
http://www.networksecurity.fi/advisories/mcafee-virusscan.html

OTHER REFERENCES:
SA12869:
http://secunia.com/advisories/12869/

My Computer Headaches Forums
http://mycomputerheadaches.tz4.com
The latest addition to MCH family (Free, requires registration)

My Computer Headaches Yahoogroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.

Message: 12
   Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 06:30:17 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

You got me with that one. ;-)
This statement:
"You may now return to your (normal ?) life."

was part of the announcement--not from me.
Rich S

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bill Vollmer
<agent222@...> wrote:

> What's normal?
>

> Rich S wrote:
>
> > Saw this on the News.
> > ===========
> > On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after
1:00
> > in the morning, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.
> >
> > That won't ever happen again.
> >
> > You may now return to your (normal ?) life.
> > ===========
> > Rich S

Message: 13
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:32:10 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi erry,

Thanks, a good idea, especially for someone as
impulsive as I am. ;-)

Cheers,

John Lehn

--- Terry Stockdale <terry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> One trick I use is to remove the "To" address (and
> any CC or BCC
> addresses) and copy it into the draft email
> temporarily.
>
> That way, I can compose the most flaming email I
> want -- without
> accidentally sending it.  Then, I can edit it to a
> more acceptable
> version or not even send it.  If I click on the
> "send" button, the
> email program stops and tells me I haven't addressed
> it to anyone.
>
> Whether I'm sending a carefully constructed business
> email or a
> response to an inane comment, this trick let's me
> absolutely sure
> that I'm ready to send the email.  [Ever clicked
> Send "automatically"
> without remembering to attach the attachment?  I
> used to realize it
> immediately, but it was too late...]
>
> I don't use it all the time, but, it's nice when I
> really want to
> have that fail-safe.
>
> Terry
>
> --
> Terry Stockdale -- Baton Rouge, LA
> My tips site and free newsletter:
> http://www.TerrysComputerTips.com
> My blogs:  http://www.TheNextWindow.com and
> http://blog.TerrysComputerTips.com

<SNIP>

Message: 14
   Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:38:32 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi TERRY.

Damn it!!

Please read "erry" as Terry, on my last post.  Not
done intentionally.

I have an old keyboard with real sticky keys, but it's
like old shoes; you get used to them and just don't
want to replace them.

Whenever my daughter visits, and checks her email on
this computer, and she  always has a go at me about
this keyboard.

John Lehn

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/