[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1398

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:58:50 -0700

           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
           From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
           From: "atewary" <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Sean's MCH Forums
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Spybot SD Download?
           From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx
     11. Re: Spybot SD Download?-Success!
           From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx
     12. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Spybot SD Download?-Success!-URL
           From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Please Help. Windows Error Message in my desktop.
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re[2]: Process Explorer?
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. WIN  98 vs Win 98 SE
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 11:32:45 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Windows XP Installation

OEM restore CD's are usually tied to the BIOS of the motherboard only
and they will also usually have only the drivers for components for a
groups of systems, say the 4000 series HP Pavilions.  Changing the
harddrive or adding a new modem or sound card will not generally prevent
installation;  but you will have to have the drivers separately for any
components not originating with HP (for example).

As stated below, adding a harddrive may abort the installation but
removing the second harddrive for the installation is not a big problem.

Tom

Estavi Meilu wrote:
> Hello Hammer:
>
> Are you sure you are not using an OEM or "restore" CD?
> If you are using one of these (NOT a retail type CD),
> it is tied to the configuration of the computer it was
> supplied with.  Changing components (new HDD + ?)
> equates to a new/different computer.  The OEM
> installation CD will then not work.
>
> I had a similar problem when I tried to reinstall
> after I had added a slave HD. (No explanation was
> offered) Had to temporarily remove the slave then
> everything went fine.  Of course, I was able to
> reinstall the slave later.
>
> Estavi
>

> --- foofaraw in the middle
> <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Try cleaning your CD.
>>Was the partition formatted before installation?
>>Are you sure the CD is legal? Are you sure the
>>Windows XP version that you have is not the 64-bit
>>version?
>>If it is a retail version, I do believe you could
>>get free tech support from MS.
>>Are you doing a clean-install as opposed to
>>upgrading from a previous Windows version?
>>If you have another CD drive installed in the
>>computer where you are installing Windows XP or a
>>DVD drive, try using it instead of the CD drive you
>>were using.
>>Disable the network adapter in the bios before you
>>install.
>>

>><hammerpgh@xxxx> wrote:
>>
>>Hi all, I am having a very frustrating time trying
>>to install Windows XP Pro on my new HDD.

> Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new Resources site
>

> =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 09:31:12 -0700
   From: "Gerald R. Flintrop" <grflintrop@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: USB, Upgrading of

Wow, I'd nevera thunk it! I "knew" that daisy-chained USB stuff would act
that way, but never guessed that the whole card, nay, the whole PC would
default to the speed of the slowest item. Rats!

Thanks again, Foo.

Jerry

From: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Behalf Of foofaraw in the middle

Gerald, welcome to the world of conflicting standards. :) I feel your pain.

Are there any USB 1.1 device(s) connected to any of the new USB 2 ports?
Your computer will only run as fast as the slowest link in the chain.

[Message TRUNCATED]

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:19:25 +0200
   From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sean's MCH Forums

On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:52:12 -0000
"karsie simon" <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I just visited Sean's new project and although it is not yet active,
> I encourage everyone to join and post there. It is starting to shape
> up as a great tech support forum site and encourage everyone to
> visit it at least once a week. There have been new valuable postings
> being added to the forums each day, I noticed. The latest tip that
> Sean added that you, MCH members will find valuable, specially those
> still using Win98 is this:
>
> Do not assume you know the contents of these tips. My first reaction
> when I saw the title of the article was you really can't release
> system resources. I changed my mind after reading Sean's article.

What worries me is those of us who can't go to the new forum will be
losing out? Already this list has got so quiet it looks like it's dying?

Love,
Misty
A rock --> me <-- A hard place
http://www.carecentre.org.za

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:06:30 +0530
   From: "atewary" <rtewary@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spybot SD Download?

Hello Foo,

I hav been using SSD 1.4 B2 for the past few months now. Is the 'RC2b'
an update on the B2? What could RC mean?

Many thanks in advance.

Warm regards,
Ricky.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

foofaraw in the middle wrote:

> Am trying the 1.4 RC2b first. It is downloading now. I will let you
> know if it can install within the hour.
>
> [Good for you, Sheila! I have been using 1.4 RC3b for a few weeks now
> without any probs.]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-5, 05/29/2005
Tested on: 5/29/2005 10:50:27 PM

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:49:57 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spybot SD Download?-Success!

Thanks for the help foo! The install worked and am working on tons more.

Great advice on all below! I will definately print this info out and keep
it
in my computer help notebook! (I do at least keep several notebooks about
important computer stuff that I may not be able to access through my PC if
needed) Wish I had this a few days ago, lol. Still learning ;)

Of course your knowledge is priceless to many of us. :) I save lots of
stuff
you provide such great info on, some is lost now but I can get it from the
archives in time.

Thanks Again foo,
Sheila

From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MCH] Spybot SD Download?
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:17:03 -0700 (PDT)

Am trying the 1.4 RC2b first. It is downloading now. I will let you know if=

it can install within the hour.

[Good for you, Sheila! I have been using 1.4 RC3b for a few weeks now
without any probs.]

Note: Put Important stuff on Disk before doing anything that might be
drastic!

[Good idea! :) Better still, avoid the drastic measures until you have
determined you have no other choice except bite the bullet and death is not=

an option]

I had been using "Easy Cleaner by toniarts" for quite a long time now and
it
always did a great job of getting rid of unnessasary junk. So , seeing that=

it worked so well with that, with no problems, I scanned for duplicates and=

like a dummy, I deleted all of them. There was a ton of them in there btw=
 :(

[I would rather that you first quarantine before deleting by exporting each=

keys that you delete to a designated folder & name them so in case you need=

to restore them, all you have to do is double click them. Do the same to
registry keys whose values or settings you modify. If you added any
registry
keys, write their full registry path on a pocket notebook (a suggested
must-have tool for all PC users to write all PC-related notes on). If you
have to delete them, just look in your pocket notebook and follow the path
then delete away.]

Note: I was warned that may be a bad idea from sean, I think.

[I would echo that caution. XP uses a lot of duplicate files or
similarly-named files. Hence this practice probably stretches all the way
back to the Registry. That is by design. To avoid conflicts and speed up
performance, these duplicates were created. There are also programs that
create files that are similarly named to files used by Windows. This is
allowed so software can use their own version of files that work best with
the software. Therefore, similarly named files do not mean they are really
duplicates. Also deleting files from locations where Windows have pointers
to will confuse the system.]

When I tried to restart, a prompt came up that my <Windows Root> .dll
or.dal, something like that, was missing and needed to be installed. I
tried
to do a repair with my windows xp disk but it gave a prompt that I needed
my
administrator password. Hmmmm, I didn't remember setting up an
administrator
password, "Not Ever". So, I tried every password I could think of that I
have ever used.

[I suppose you did not try just hitting Enter when prompted for the
password? Did you try hitting CTRL+ALT+Delete TWICE and then hitting Enter
assuming your login name is already written on the second screen that
appears after you hit the 3-finger salute? To avoid this problem in the
future, create yourself a Reset Password disk. XP has this feature.]

Then there was another problem I discovered when I installed XP and tried
activate it, grrrrr. My activation code was no longer any good and I had to=

make a special phone call to recieve a whopping "46" number code to enter
activate my xp registration!

[Before reinstalling Windows XP, back up two files: wpa.dbl and wpa.bak.
These are your Windows XP activation files. Go to your c:\WINDOWS\System32\=

and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" back those files up to a
floppy, CD or wherever you want to put them on. When you want to restore
these files go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32
directory. When you reboot you should be activated without actually going
through MS :)]

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 18:01:14 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Process Explorer?

Are y'all familiar with this program?  Any reviews?  As in do many of you
use and recommend it for folks using WinXP HE?

Process Explorer by Sysinternals Freeware
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>

    Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
       <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:23:30 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Process Explorer?

Hi Bev,
it is a good program Sysinternals has been recommended often on the IT tech
list's.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/29/2005 at 6:01 PM AlohaBev wrote:

Are y'all familiar with this program?  Any reviews?  As in do many of you
use and recommend it for folks using WinXP HE?

Process Explorer by Sysinternals Freeware
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>

    Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
       <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Highly recommended! It should be part of your troubleshooting toolkit.

Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Bev,
it is a good program Sysinternals has been recommended often on the IT tech
list's.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/29/2005 at 6:01 PM AlohaBev wrote:

Are y'all familiar with this program?  Any reviews?  As in do many of you
use and recommend it for folks using WinXP HE?

Process Explorer by Sysinternals Freeware
<http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml>
Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 9
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:45:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

We promised we won't abandon this group :). Never!! But register anyway for
a once-a-week or a once-a-month visit. We are archiving some of the best of
postings here there plus lots of tips for everyone. Plus you can post
off-topic stuff there that may not be technical in nature. There are forums
for just kicking back.

vercor@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
[...]

My Computer Headaches Yahootgroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
My Computer Headaches Forums
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
The latest addition to MCH family

Message: 10
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:03:09 EDT
   From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx

RC =3D Release Canidate.  In other words they are getting really close  to=
GR
- General release....

In a message dated 5/29/2005 1:20:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rtewary@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hello  Foo,

I hav been using SSD 1.4 B2 for the past few months now. Is the  'RC2b'
an update on the B2? What could RC mean?

Many thanks in  advance.

Warm  regards,
Ricky.

=3D=3D=3D
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

foofaraw  in the middle wrote:

> Am trying the 1.4 RC2b first. It is  downloading now. I will let you
> know if it can install within the  hour.
>
> [Good for you, Sheila! I have been using 1.4 RC3b for a  few weeks now
> without any  probs.]

---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message  clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0521-5, 05/29/2005
Tested on: 5/29/2005  10:50:27 PM

website:  http://cgalloway.8m.com

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:04:36 EDT
   From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx

hi,

Where can I download:

>Good for you, Sheila! I have been using 1.4 RC3b for
>a few weeks now without any probs.

From: foofaraw  in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
To:  mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 23:17:03 -0700 (PDT)

[...]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
website:  http://cgalloway.8m.com

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 22:47:00 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 5/29/2005 09:10 PM, foofaraw in the middle wrote:
>Highly recommended! It should be part of your troubleshooting toolkit.
>
>Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Bev,
>it is a good program Sysinternals has been recommended often on the IT
>tech list's.

Okey-doke, based on y'all's response, I downloaded and unzipped Process
Explorer v.9.11.  When I clicked on the .exe file, the first thing I got
was this warning window:

------- copy starts ------------
     Process Explorer Warning

     The version of Dbghelp.dll configured does not support the Microsoft
Symbol Server.
     Please download and install the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows
to get a
     version that does.
------ copy ends -------------

What's THAT all about?  I'm not planning to debug anything. I read on a
Windows list that Process Explorer was better than Task Manager for being
sure all Windows applications were closed when installing or updating or
upgrading something.

Anyway, after I got the warning, I had to close the warning window in order=

to do anything, which promptly opened the Process Explorer window.  I
closed that (still not knowing what I was to do with it) and went looking
to see what this "Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows" and "Microsoft
Symbol Server" were.  Big mistake!  I'm still not sure what they are or if
I need them (or ANY of this) to be sure everything's off before
installing/updating/upgrading a program (in this case Ad-Aware from v.1.05
to v.1.06).   I've already uninstalled Ad-Aware 1.05 and have v.1.06, but
haven't installed it yet because I don't know how to BE SURE everything
that they want off for the installation IS off.  I'm still just too new to,=

and unfamiliar with, WinXP HE.

I decided I'd be far better off to come ask y'all because I do NOT
understand WinXP HE's Task Manaqer Processes window.  This was not
something I remember seeing in Win98.  So, here's my puzzlement:
1. Do I need (or should I use) Process Explorer to turn off  Windows
applications when installing or updating or upgrading?

2. Do I need (or should I have and learn) these Debugging tools and=
 Symbols?

    Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
       <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 13
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 00:07:03 -0400
   From: "Sheila Perkins" <simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Spybot SD Download?-Success!-URL

Hey!

Here is what foo sent me:

SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.4 RC2b

SpyBot-Search & Destroy 1.3
http://www.download.com/3000-8022-10122137.html
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp
http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-8022-10122137.html

It's a feature, not a bug:
* BHO and LSP list won't appear in Full List from Results screen - this
happened because known good entries are automatically hidden from this=
 list.

Changes implemented in 1.4 RC2 (build 20050427):
Unlocked module unload functionality
Fixed rights problem when accessing Immunization page
Fixed hosts file load slowdown
Hosts redirection now in more detailed in exported list
Updated skinning for use on all modal forms
Workaround for PNG/Win98 problem
Added Version, Company and Description to Process List
Added full version information to process list tooltip
Fixed status message icons after fixing
Skinning for all toolbar icons possible
Fixed uninstall list now showing all entries (Borland bug)
Added Ghosting disabler (Borland bug re: not reacting due to dialog box in
the background)
Added Opera 8 support
Improved process list with open connections overview
Added marking of connected processes
Workaround for compiler IN bug - Uninstall list on some processors
Added hourglass cursor to some intense operations
Added realistic error messages for ?? errors (localization problem)
Fixed recovery read progress bar flicker
Added user rights warning when creating snapshots as limited user
Added Opera undo no longer removing default Opera entries and creating
backup

From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx
To: mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [MCH] Spybot SD Download?-Success!
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 23:04:36 EDT

hi,

Where can I download:

 >Good for you, Sheila! I have been using 1.4 RC3b for
 >a few weeks now without any probs.

In a message dated 5/29/2005 4:51:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
simpleerose@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Thanks  for the help foo! The install worked and am working on tons more.

Message: 14
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:26:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Please Help. Windows Error Message in my desktop.

To remove the annoying desktop wallpaper that is showing up on your
desktop, do the following:

PART 1

Go to C:\Windows and look for desktop.html.
Delete it or rename it if you are nervous about deleting files from the
Windows directory.

If you can't delete desktop.html in c:\Windows, Google killBox.exe then run
it.
To use KillBox.exe, check 'delete on reboot' and 'end explorer shell while
killing file'.
Enter into path: c:\windows\desktop.html
Hit x (delete file) followed by YES and YES

PART 2

Click Start>Run>type regedit. The Registry Editor will open.Highlight My
Computer. Click Edit>Find.
In the 'Find what:' field, type:
desktop.html
Click the Find Next button.
Delete all desktop.html registry references the registry finder finds.
There are two or three entries.
Afterwards reboot.

Go to Control panel > System > Advanced > Performance > Use drop shadow for
icon labels.

Juan Mendicoa  wrote:
Hello everybody,

After a malicious spy software tryed to be auto installed in my pc, i am
having a permanent message in my desktop of "Windows Error, System hs
detected spyware activity. Some system functions are blocked...clean your
PC with a
spyware removal tool....etc=A8 Please find attached a word file with a=
 print
screen of the message.

I try to modify in the screen properties the desktop image and it is
impossible.

Please, anybody knows the origin of the message? Is it a real Windows XP
error message or it is part of a milicious software installed in my pc.

My Microsoft AntiSpyware detected some days before suspicious activity with
the svchost.exe file of Windows. It is related to the message in the
desktop?

Thanks in advance for your support and help.

Best Regards,

Juan Mendicoa.

MCH FORUMS
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
MCH Yahoogroups
http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5
Unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/

Message: 15
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:35:18 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Process Explorer?

Hi Bev,
I recall reading on one of the list that the best way to install Ad aware
was to save the new version.
Shutdown the computer, unplug the modem, and restart in safe mode.

Make sure your AV program is not running.
Uninstall the old version then install the new version.

I think Process Explorer v.9.11 was written before XP came out.
And the Microsoft Symbol Server is a newer program that would have come
with the Windows updates.

Windows Task Manager list all the applications running, I normally have
over 60 running processes.

You can enter any process into Google to see if it is a 'good' one.

This is a good online look up;
http://www.tasklist.org/

Mike
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

Message: 16
   Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 21:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: WIN  98 vs Win 98 SE

Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) was released to fix bugs and acted as a
small incremental update to Windows 98. It gave users enhanced hardware
compatibility and Internet features. Windows 98 SE included Internet
Explorer 5 and Microsoft Windows NetMeeting version 3.0 conferencing
software. It also included DirectX 6.1, which introduced Internet
connection sharing (ICS) to and a variety of Windows multimedia
improvements.

In the area of updates Win98 SE included all the latest updates for Windows
98 including Year 2000 updates, & USB. In the area of software Win98 SE
updated versions of Internet Explorer, outlook express, windows media
player, DirectX, and NetMeeting. In the area of Drivers & Support -
Additional support for latest technology such as MMX, USB, & Pentium III
where added.

Windows 98 second addition has better USB support. Win98SE can deal with
much faster PCs than Win98 during its installation.  The driver database in
98SE is different and more in tune with today's hardware.  And, more
hardware companies are willing to write drivers for it

bill  wrote:The mian difference I can remember is win98se supports ICS
(internet connection sharing) , where win 98 does not. I am trying to
remember the rest.  There is a specific cd just for upgrading from win 98
to win 98 se. Sounds like what you have is the upgrade from  3.1 / win95 to
win 98se ( may work not sure) .  Maybe if googled "buy win 98se upgrade"
you might get a few hits..or pricegrabber.com.    Oh you can fake out an
upgrade do it all the time. The upgrade is always cheaper. I did that with
win 2000. Bought the upgrade, installed it on a clean HD with no OS, The
install will get to a point where it looks for old existing OS. If does not
find any it will ask you to kindly point to where it can find the old os,
you just pop a win NT ( or what ever win OS cd has an upgrade path for your
new OS) point to the cd drive and press enter. Do you have broadband or
dial up ?

In Behalf Of ghalesan
Sent: Sunday, May 29, 2005 3:08 PM

What are the differences between wim 98 and win 98SE??
I am using 98 and want to add a PCI card to give be USB ports.

About all I can find say win 98SE, ME XP etc. compatible.  I have also
looked at wireless routers--cards--etc!  Some ads say WIN 98, Win
SE--ME--XP and ads from another site selling the same product model will
say WIN 98SE, ME etc.!!

I havea WIN 98SE upgrade CD, unopened, that says for upgrading WIN 3.1 and
95!  Will it upgrade WIN 98??

My Computer Headaches Yahootgroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
My Computer Headaches Forums
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
The latest addition to MCH family

Message: 17
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 04:29:15 -0500
   From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bev,
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill!  You don't need Process
Explorer v.9.11.   When you install a new program, the installation will
ask you to close all programs and that is to close the programs, usually
from within the programs themselves.   The installation instructions do not
say a word about "processes".   You do NOT need to use Task Manager to kill
your open programs.
Carl

  At 5/29/2005 09:10 PM, foofaraw in the middle wrote:
  >Highly recommended! It should be part of your troubleshooting toolkit.
  >
  >Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi Bev,
  >it is a good program Sysinternals has been recommended often on the IT
  >tech list's.

  Okey-doke, based on y'all's response, I downloaded and unzipped Process
  Explorer v.9.11.  When I clicked on the .exe file, the first thing I got
  was this warning window:

  ------- copy starts ------------
       Process Explorer Warning

       The version of Dbghelp.dll configured does not support the Microsoft=

  Symbol Server.
       Please download and install the Microsoft Debugging Tools for
Windows
  to get a
       version that does.
  ------ copy ends -------------

  What's THAT all about?  I'm not planning to debug anything. I read on a
  Windows list that Process Explorer was better than Task Manager for being=

  sure all Windows applications were closed when installing or updating or
  upgrading something.

  Anyway, after I got the warning, I had to close the warning window in
order
  to do anything, which promptly opened the Process Explorer window.  I
  closed that (still not knowing what I was to do with it) and went looking=

  to see what this "Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows" and "Microsoft
  Symbol Server" were.  Big mistake!  I'm still not sure what they are or
if
  I need them (or ANY of this) to be sure everything's off before
  installing/updating/upgrading a program (in this case Ad-Aware from
v.1.05
  to v.1.06).   I've already uninstalled Ad-Aware 1.05 and have v.1.06, but=

  haven't installed it yet because I don't know how to BE SURE everything
  that they want off for the installation IS off.  I'm still just too new
to,
  and unfamiliar with, WinXP HE.

  I decided I'd be far better off to come ask y'all because I do NOT
  understand WinXP HE's Task Manaqer Processes window.  This was not
  something I remember seeing in Win98.  So, here's my puzzlement:
  1. Do I need (or should I use) Process Explorer to turn off  Windows
  applications when installing or updating or upgrading?

  2. Do I need (or should I have and learn) these Debugging tools and
Symbols?

      Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
         alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 see the Yahoo home page