[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1399

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:27:08 -0700

There are 23 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Question about Anti-aliasing.
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re[2]: Process Explorer?
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Bill V: Restricting WinXP's Limited Users
           From: "karsie simon" <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Happy Memorial Day
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: "Martha's Web" <marthas_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     11. Yahoo Groups Digests With E-mail Attachments
           From: "Phil" <psksls@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Sean's MCH Forums
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: AVG Installation information
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Re: Bill V: Restricting WinXP's Limited Users
           From: agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx
     15. Re: WIN  98 vs Win 98 SE
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re: Yahoo Groups Digests With E-mail Attachments
           From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: Process Explorer?
           From: "Richard Schimpff" <schimpra@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. My Windows Keep Closing!
           From: "Tegan" <teganoid@xxxxxxxxx>
     20. Upgrading RAM
           From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: Upgrading RAM
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: Upgrading RAM
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:29:25 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Question about Anti-aliasing.

Ok, I know what it is and what it does. I also know why.

Here is what I need to know.

I usually make my website buttons and banners using the MSPaint program. I
know there are better programs but for this project I find MSPaint to be
the fastest and easiest on the correct computer.

That is where my question comes in, "on the correct computer". Seems that
some computers will Anti-alias the text when adding it to a bitmap file and
some won't. My new machine does and my old one don't.

I would give the details of the machines but here is another example. At
one of my job sites I have two exact same machines and one will Anti-alias
and the other won't in paint. The only difference in the two machines is
the amount of ram installed.

When making the buttons since they are small I do not want Anti-aliasing to
be active. There for the few times I need to make a button I look to my old
computer to make them.

Does anyone know how to control weather or not MSPaint will or will not
Anti-alias.

Thanks for looking, I have searched but have not found the answer I am
looking for.

Vince

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 01:43:25 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Process Explorer?

At 5/29/2005 11:35 PM, Mike wrote:

>Hi Bev,
I recall reading on one of the list that the best way to install Ad aware
was to save the new version. Shutdown the computer, unplug the modem, and
restart in safe mode. Make sure your AV program is not running. Uninstall
the old version then install the new version.

SUCCESS!!!  Thank you, Mike.  I did the install this way, and it went
smooth as silk!  I then checked for updates, then scanned my system.  All
clear.  Thank you lots for talking me through this.

>I think Process Explorer v.9.11 was written before XP came out.

The program was, but v.9.11 was released this week (5/26):
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

>And the Microsoft Symbol Server is a newer program that would have come
with the Windows updates.

Guess I need to see if I have any updates waiting. Because I use dial-up, I
do the updates manually. I usually check once a week, more often when
there's list chatter about a new update.

>Windows Task Manager list all the applications running, I normally have
over 60 running processes. You can enter any process into Google to see if
it is a 'good' one. This is a good online look up;
http://www.tasklist.org/

I shall definitely do that. Thanks again for your help. I sure hope I'll be
able to pass it along before long.

Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
<alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 12:53:58 -0000
   From: "karsie simon" <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bill V: Restricting WinXP's Limited Users

Bill, just wondering which measures from Sean's suggestions you
adopted. Here is one IE solution you can do:

Disable IE'S Downloading Capabilty

Launch Internet Explorer.
Click Tools>Internet Options...>Security tab>Internet (the GLOBE
icon)>Custom Level button.
Look for Downloads>File Download.
Set File Download to Disable by clicking the Disable radio button.
Click OK twice to close the IE settings dialog box.

From now on, no one can download any programs through IE anymore. If
someone, other than the administrator, tries to download any program
using IE, all they will get is a warning message stating that the
current security settings do not allow the downloading of files.
This is available to admins. To test it, log in as a limited user to
check if you can still see the IE settings which you used to disable
IE download capability. If you can't see it, then you have no more
problems, unless you have other browsers available to them like
Firefox. Then try to download some online software to test if a
limited user can still download. Let us know the results of your
findings.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

You said: "I'm using the settings that XP Home provides. Is there
something that I don't know about that will let me further limit the
limited accounts?"

Here are your options:

1. Disable Windows Installer service. This will restrict 90% of
programs being installed. To do this, click Start>Run>type
services.msc>hit Enter. Look for Windows Installer and under the
Startup Type, make sure it is set to DISABLED. If it is not,
rightclick Windows Installer>choose Properties>General tab. In the
Startup type field, click the drop-down menu and choose DISABLED.
Click OK. Close the Services console.

CAVEAT: This might affect your ability to install Windows updates or
any other software even logged as an administrator so remember to
enable it again if you are going to those tasks then disabling it
when you are done.

--C U T----C U T------C U T--------C U T----------CUT------------

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:23:43 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Happy Memorial Day

Happy Memorial Day, MCH US members! Enjoy your day off!

My Computer Headaches Yahootgroup
.... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
My Computer Headaches Forums
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
The latest addition to MCH family

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 06:54:17 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Process Explorer?

While that may be true, Carl, Process Explorer is a very valuable
troubleshooting tool to have to detect stealth or errant processes or
programs that do not show up in Task Manager. This is very useful when
trying to find out if you have a running spyware in the background that
prevents deletion of certain files or to find out which spywares are
running and their associated files or file paths. You cannot just close a
spyware if you do not know they are even running or know which ones they
are, since they are not exactly in your Start menu or even in your
Add/Remove Programs list, or know where to click to stop them from running.
Of course, Process Explorer is not for terminating programs as its most
important function but as a troubleshooting or an investigative tool from
which you can gather more information from in order to resolve hard-to-fix
problems.

Carl <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Bev,
You're making a mountain out of a mole hill!  You don't need Process
Explorer v.9.11. When you install a new program, the installation will ask
you to close all programs and that is to close the programs, usually from
within the programs themselves. The installation instructions do not say a
word about "processes". You do NOT need to use Task Manager to kill your
open programs.
Carl

   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:26:48 -0500
   From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok.  I concede.

Carl

    At 5/29/2005 09:10 PM, foofaraw in the middle wrote:
    >Highly recommended! It should be part of your troubleshooting toolkit.

  Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  Hi Bev,
  it is a good program Sysinternals has been recommended often on the IT
tech list's.

  Okey-doke, based on y'all's response, I downloaded and unzipped Process
Explorer v.9.11.  When I clicked on the .exe file, the first thing I got
was this warning window:

  ------- copy starts ------------
  Process Explorer Warning

  The version of Dbghelp.dll configured does not support the Microsoft
Symbol Server.
  Please download and install the Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows to
get a version that does.
    ------ copy ends -------------

  What's THAT all about?  I'm not planning to debug anything. I read on a
Windows list that Process Explorer was better than Task Manager for being
sure all Windows applications were closed when installing or updating or
upgrading something.
  Anyway, after I got the warning, I had to close the warning window in
order to do anything, which promptly opened the Process Explorer window.  I
closed that (still not knowing what I was to do with it) and went looking
to see what this "Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows" and "Microsoft
Symbol Server" were.  Big mistake!  I'm still not sure what they are or if
I need them (or ANY of this) to be sure everything's off before
installing/updating/upgrading a program (in this case Ad-Aware from v.1.05
to v.1.06).   I've already uninstalled Ad-Aware 1.05 and have v.1.06, but
haven't installed it yet because I don't know how to BE SURE everything
that they want off for the installation IS off.  I'm still just too new to,
and unfamiliar with, WinXP HE.
  I decided I'd be far better off to come ask y'all because I do NOT
understand WinXP HE's Task Manaqer Processes window.  This was not
something I remember seeing in Win98.  So, here's my puzzlement:
    1. Do I need (or should I use) Process Explorer to turn off  Windows
applications when installing or updating or upgrading?

    2. Do I need (or should I have and learn) these Debugging tools and
Symbols?

  Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
  alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 7
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 07:43:53 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Hopefully, Carl, we can find a solution to Bev's problem. Still sniffing
around the internet to see what I can find. Bev, if you have no immediate
need for the Process Explorer, you may want to uninstall it and try
reinstalling it. Otherwise, keep it uninstalled until further notice. If
anyone else has a suggestion for Bev, do sound off. Bev, allow some time
for the group to respond first before making your move.

Carl <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Ok.  I concede.

Carl

  While that may be true, Carl, Process Explorer is a very valuable
troubleshooting tool to have to detect stealth or errant processes or
programs that do not show up in Task Manager. This is very useful when
trying to find out if you have a running spyware in the background that
prevents deletion of certain files or to find out which spywares are
running and their associated files or file paths.
----------------------C U T----------------------

MCH FORUMS
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
MCH Yahoogroups
http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5
Unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/

Message: 8
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:26:49 -0500
   From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?

Vince,
Are you suggesting that we would lie or mislead in our answers.   If we do,
it would be unintentional.   Btw, I resent your "check the honesty"=
 efforts.
Carl

   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 08:38:46 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Carl, I think Vince was referring to the "honesty" of the author of the
software, not to anyone in this group. :) But thanks for being protective
of the members here.

   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 07:36:27 -0500
   From: "Martha's Web" <marthas_web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Process Explorer is not for killing open programs.

Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs
processes have opened or loaded. (What is running in the background)
It is a great tool for identifying spyware!

You can get Process Explorer here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Martha
http://www.marthas-web.com
http://marthas-web-blog.blogspot.com/

   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 07:24:22 -0500
   From: "Phil" <psksls@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Yahoo Groups Digests With E-mail Attachments

Hello Everyone,

I'm not exactly a computer whiz so I will try to explain this as best as I
can.

For the last few days there has been some strange things happening with
e-mails that I receive from several of Yahoo's Groups that I belong to.
With them I have my preferences set to receive Daily Digests. When they
arrive in my Inbox they show the paperclip attachment on them. I
accidentally clicked on one ( I'm using Outlook Express with the settings
to "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially
be a virus")

When I did this was the body of the message...

"This message has been processed by Brightmail(r) AntiVirus using
Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.

Unknown00000000.data was not scanned for viruses because too many nested
levels of files were found.

For more information on antivirus tips and technology, visit
http://www.brightmail.com/antivirus"; .

Like I said I did not "open" the attachment. In the attachment line it
shows the Group Digest # I have subscribed to with a small envelope in the
far left corner and info on the size (kb)

My AVG shows nothing wrong ( I have it set to scan e-mail) I've run Spybot
S&D and Ad-Aware and they don't show anything wrong either.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it safe to "open" these
attachments? Or have I already caused a problem by just clicking on the
e-mail?

I've contacted Yahoo and they haven't got back to me yet.

Here's some info on my system. Windows XP Home with SP2. Outlook Express
for e-mail. Firebox for web browser.

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Phil

Message: 12
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:56:02 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sean's MCH Forums

Misty, we won't do that. But register there anyway, Misty so you can browse
around whenever you have the time. It won't send you any emails if you
don't want it to notify you in case you post something there that needed a
reply.
Also, it does get slow here sometimes. This happens in cycles. So don't get
alarmed.

Happy Memorial Day, MCH!!

vercor@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

What worries me is those of us who can't go to the new forum will be losing
out? Already this list has got so quiet it looks like it's dying?

Love,
Misty
A rock --> me <-- A hard place
http://www.carecentre.org.za

On Sat, 28 May 2005 01:52:12 -0000 "karsie simon"
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just visited Sean's new project and although it is not yet active, I
encourage everyone to join and post there. It is starting to shape up as a
great tech support forum site and encourage everyone to visit it at least
once a week.

MCH FORUMS
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
MCH Yahoogroups
http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5
Unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/

Message: 13
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 10:15:58 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: AVG Installation information

Thanks Bobby! I just updated the article I wrote about AVG Free in MCH
Forums and added the info you just provided us with due credit to you, of
course.
:)

BOBBY <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I recently decided to install and use AVG Free.  I installed a version that
I already had in my "Downloads" Folder.  In trying to resolve a problem on
my PC I used System Restore the same day.  Naturally it uninstalled the
newly installed AVG.  I went back and attempted to reinstall AVG but it
would never complete the installation.  I tried D/Ling and installing a
newer version with the same results.  After
much research I discovered that AVG will not install until every remnant of
AVG is removed from your HDD.  After doing a search and removing all AVG
associated files it installed perfectly.

Bobby

=3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

MCH FORUMS
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx
MCH Yahoogroups
http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5
Unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/

Message: 14
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 16:26:51 +0000
   From: agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: Bill V: Restricting WinXP's Limited Users

Foo; I haven't done anything with them, and, probably won't for a while. My
base computer's video card is only working right a percentage of the time,
other times my display looks something like an outdoor antenna trying to
pull in an out of town
tv station. Fortunately it's still under an extended warranty, so the
warranty epople's tech is scheduled to come out and replace it on or about
this coming Monday. 'Til then I'm not changing any settings-and, may wait
to see if the two biggest adders of what I consider junk, do come back from
being with their father in Fla.

Bill, just wondering which measures from Sean's suggestions you
adopted. Here is one IE solution you can do:

Disable IE'S Downloading Capabilty

Launch Internet Explorer.
Click Tools>Internet Options...>Security tab>Internet (the GLOBE
icon)>Custom Level button.
Look for Downloads>File Download.
Set File Download to Disable by clicking the Disable radio button.
Click OK twice to close the IE settings dialog box.

From now on, no one can download any programs through IE anymore. If

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

You said: "I'm using the settings that XP Home provides. Is there
something that I don't know about that will let me further limit the
limited accounts?"

Here are your options:

1. Disable Windows Installer service. This will restrict 90% of
programs being installed. To do this, click Start>Run>type
services.msc>hit Enter. Look for Windows Installer and under the
Startup Type, make sure it is set to DISABLED. If it is not,
rightclick Windows Installer>choose Properties>General tab. In the
Startup type field, click the drop-down menu and choose DISABLED.
Click OK. Close the Services console.

CAVEAT: This might affect your ability to install Windows updates or
any other software even logged as an administrator so remember to
enable it again if you are going to those tasks then disabling it
when you are done.

Message: 15
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:30:37 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: WIN  98 vs Win 98 SE

There is an unofical update to Win 98;

Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 1.1

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-191.shtml

Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows98 SE.
But I made a Service Pack for Windows98 SE users. It contains all Windows98
SE updates from WindowsUpdate site and more.

It is a self-extracting and self-installing pack like Microsoft's update
files. Thus, you cannot choice files individually.
Uninstallation is possible from Add-Remove Programs.

IT IS ONLY FOR WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION ENGLISH. It contains only
operating system updates.
It does not contain DirectX, Media Player or other similar products

Features:

- 52 hot fixes. (All of them are from Microsoft.)
- 256-color tray. (Some icons on the tray like WinAMP's icon will be shown
better.)
- Better Defrag and Scandisk. (Faster. They are from Windows ME. However,
they work properly on the Windows98 SE.)
- Better Notepad. (Same Notepad with more key bindings.)
- Optimized swap file usage. (Windows will not to use the swap file at all
until the entire RAM is used.)
- Better WDM and USB support. (Some problems about WDM drivers and USB
devices are solved.)
- Windows Scripting Host 5.6. (Latest version of Scripting Host which also
contains VBScript and JScript support.)
- Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 runtime library. (To run Visual Basic 6.0 programs.)
- Windows 2000 color scheme. (You should select it from Control
Panel-Display-Appearance.)
- A few cosmetic and performance tweaks.

<mikeswhatsnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
See my Anti-Virus pages
<http://www3.telus.net/mikebike/mikes_virus_page.htm>
<virusinfo-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=3Dsubscribe>
A Technical Support Alliance & OWTA Charter Member
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/29/2005 at 9:41 PM foofaraw in the middle wrote:

Windows 98 SE (Second Edition) was released to fix bugs and acted as a
small incremental update to Windows 98. It gave users enhanced hardware
compatibility and Internet features. Windows 98 SE included Internet
Explorer 5 and Microsoft Windows NetMeeting version 3.0 conferencing
software. It also included DirectX 6.1, which introduced Internet
connection sharing (ICS) to and a variety of Windows multimedia
improvements.

In the area of updates Win98 SE included all the latest updates for Windows
98 including Year 2000 updates, & USB. In the area of software Win98 SE
updated versions of Internet Explorer, outlook express, windows media
player, DirectX, and NetMeeting. In the area of Drivers & Support -
Additional support for latest technology such as MMX, USB, & Pentium III
where added.

Windows 98 second addition has better USB support. Win98SE can deal with
much faster PCs than Win98 during its installation.  The driver database in
98SE is different and more in tune with today's hardware.  And, more
hardware companies are willing to write drivers for it

S N I P

Message: 16
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 11:51:38 -0700
   From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Yahoo Groups Digests With E-mail Attachments

Phil,
 Were you surprised to find the digests as Attachments? Have you received
them
any other way prior to this? As far as I know, OE will always deliver
digest
lists as attachments.
 Brightmail - never heard of it - but - if it's an email clearing service,
it sounds like it was alerted
due to the number of mails in the digest. Could be, that it gathers your
emails and presents them
to you as attached... Don't know for sure. IF this analogy is correct, then=

the alert was just a
filtering warning, and not a virus.
 Was the attachment filename, shown when clicking the paperclip in the mail=

in OE, different than
you would normally see? Check the Extension and make sure it's TXT or
whatever they normally are.
HOWEVER - don't go by the Extension, unless you have opted for Windows to
Show file Extensions.
BECAUSE - say you received a file with TXT extension, and did not have the
option checked to show
filename extensions - TXT would not be the real extension - because you
have
it set not to show them.
The real filename might be filename.txt.vir(us) with some unknown
extension.

 Ken

 On 5/30/05, Phil <psksls@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm not exactly a computer whiz so I will try to explain this as best as
> can.
>
> For the last few days there has been some strange things happening with
> e-mails that I receive from several of Yahoo's Groups that I belong to.
With
> them I have my preferences set to receive Daily Digests. When they arrive
in
> my Inbox they show the paperclip attachment on them. I accidentally
clicked
> on one ( I'm using Outlook Express with the settings to "do not allow
> attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus")
>
> When I did this was the body of the message...
>
> "This message has been processed by Brightmail(r) AntiVirus using
> Symantec's AntiVirus Technology.
>
> Unknown00000000.data was not scanned for viruses because too many nested
> levels of files were found.
>
> For more information on antivirus tips and technology, visit
> http://www.brightmail.com/antivirus"; .
>
> Like I said I did not "open" the attachment. In the attachment line it
> shows the Group Digest # I have subscribed to with a small envelope in
the
> far left corner and info on the size (kb)
>
> My AVG shows nothing wrong ( I have it set to scan e-mail) I've run
Spybot
> S&D and Ad-Aware and they don't show anything wrong either.
>
> Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it safe to "open" these
> attachments? Or have I already caused a problem by just clicking on the
> e-mail?
>
> I've contacted Yahoo and they haven't got back to me yet.
>
> Here's some info on my system. Windows XP Home with SP2. Outlook Express
> for e-mail. Firebox for web browser.
>
> Any and all info will be greatly appreciated!!!!
>
> Phil
>

> =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
> email.=3D=3D=3D
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 17
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:40:15 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Carl;

Sorry you misunderstood. I was not referring to anyone here.

The thread you read started when I asked a question about a program
that said it did not change the registry of a computer in any way
when it was installed. The entire thread was not in the message you
read due to clipping information in replys.

I inquired here to see if that was possible and to make sure that
the guy who made the program was telling the truth before I tried it
out.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Carl" <ctm007@xxxx>
wrote:
> Vince,
> Are you suggesting that we would lie or mislead in our answers.
If we do, it would be unintentional.   Btw, I resent your "check the
honesty" efforts.
> Carl

Message: 18
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:59:11 -0000
   From: "Richard Schimpff" <schimpra@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bev according to this from the site Copyright =A9 1998-2005 Mark
Russinovich
Last Updated: May 26, 2005 v9.11 as you see 9.11 is new and the
message means you need the debugging sybles from the link provided.
Do no click on ok just the link when the message pops up and it will
take you to the download page. Install them then click on ok.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxx>

Message: 19
   Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:36:41 -0000
   From: "Tegan" <teganoid@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: My Windows Keep Closing!

I have run the antivirus AND defragmented my computer. It STILL isn't
working right! Everytime I try to upload a pic, EVERYTHING closes!!!
When I click on the browse button to open the pic, it causes all of my
windows to close! It happens when I try to open a pic in Adobe
Photoshop too!

~Teganoid~

Message: 20
   Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 21:29:27 -0700
   From: "Tempting2Taanzaa" <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Upgrading RAM

Hi:

I have a question.  I'm about to upgrade RAM and needed a little advice.  I=

have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S1292 and the manufacturer has installed
Kingston memory with bus speed of 266 MHz.  According to Kingston my system=

supports memory with a bus speed of 333 MHz.  If I changed the memory
installed to the 333MHz would this increase the efficiency of the machine
or
should I stick with what the manufacturer installed and just fill the other=

slot with the same speed memory?

Thanks for your help!

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 21
   Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 03:57:35 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Upgrading RAM

I would just stick with the 266 because that is probably the fastest
memory that your machine will support. Even if your mainboard
supports a faster memory your processor probably don't.

For example in my case the machine I built will support 266MHz,
333MHz, and 400MHz ram. However the various memory speeds will only
work with a certain processor. I purchased a mid level processor and
it will work with the 266MHz and 333MHz memory so I purchased the
faster 333MHz. However if I was to install a 400MHz it would work by
slowing down to 333MHz.

So the true answer to this is you could probably purchase the faster
memory and use it but I would not do so because it will just cost
you more money.

One last thing to think about is this. Many of the newer machines
use something called "Dual Channel Memory" what this does is let you
system access both chips at the same time. Some companies will tell
you that you have a certain amount of memory installed however both
slots are full. This is something you should check before you
purchase. If you have Dual Channel and both slots are full and you
want to keep using Dual Channel you should get two chips of the same
type and size.

Hope this helps a little.
Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tempting2Taanzaa"
<tempting2taanzaa@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I have a question.  I'm about to upgrade RAM and needed a little
advice.  I
> have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S1292 and the manufacturer has
installed
> Kingston memory with bus speed of 266 MHz.  According to Kingston
my system
> supports memory with a bus speed of 333 MHz.  If I changed the
memory
> installed to the 333MHz would this increase the efficiency of the
machine or
> should I stick with what the manufacturer installed and just fill
the other
> slot with the same speed memory?
>
> Thanks for your help!

Message: 22
   Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 02:19:45 -0500
   From: "Carl" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Oh.   I'm sorry for misunderstanding.
I sure thought you were referring to a member of our group.
:-(   sorry

  wrote:
  > Vince,
  > Are you suggesting that we would lie or mislead in our answers.
  If we do, it would be unintentional.   Btw, I resent your "check the
  honesty" efforts.
  > Carl

Message: 23
   Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 04:19:34 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

According to this site, Kingston is right:
http://shorterlink.com/?6H0F82

Typically, a faster memory bus speed gives better performance than a lower
memory bus speed. However, the speed or performance advantage between the
two memory types would probably not be too noticeable.

Tempting2Taanzaa <tempting2taanzaa@xxxxxxxx> wrote:Hi:

I have a question.  I'm about to upgrade RAM and needed a little advice. I
have a Toshiba Satellite A15-S1292 and the manufacturer has installed
Kingston memory with bus speed of 266 MHz.  According to Kingston my system
supports memory with a bus speed of 333 MHz.  If I changed the memory
installed to the 333MHz would this increase the efficiency of the machine
or should I stick with what the manufacturer installed and just fill the
other slot with the same speed memory?

Thanks for your help!

MCH FORUMS
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?act=3Didx