[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1396

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 15:56:32 -0700

There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Win9X & XP tips: Is there anyway to release system resources?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Hello
           From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx
      6. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Hello
           From: "ctm007" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Sean's MCH Forums
           From: "karsie simon" <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Terminator 3: War of the Machines Two Vulnerabilities
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: Sean's MCH Forums
           From: "solfan10" <Solfan1@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Re: Sean's MCH Forums
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:16:39 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Can a program run and not use the registry?

Ken I think the part about the program trying to get out is not a
problem. The program allows you to send notes to others on your
network. It was probably just looking for other computers to log in
it's list.

I found the program on a site that does not list spyware.
Just wish ATNotes was still up and going. I tried about 20 programs
and found nothing close (not even the paid stuff). I think I will
continue to install it in computers anyway until Microsoft breaks it
if they ever do. Then I will look for something else.

If you want you can still find that one at
http://tinyurl.com/apouv but I am not sure how long they will keep
it.

Vince
--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ken Hollingsworth
<kenholl@xxxx> wrote:
> Vince,
>  I tried this Sticky application, and it looks pretty clean.
> However, FYI - when I first started it, ZA alerted me it was
> trying to get out, as did MS Alert system. I denied both, but
> you have to wonder why it was, and where it was headed.
>  Ken Hollingsworth

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:35:13 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I think it is possible, because sometimes I need to use an old MS-Dos
program, and all I have to do is copy it to my hard drive, and I'll
sometimes make a shortcut to the program's exe file.  Programs can still be=

written this way.  The program you found, I don't know.

Steve

At 10:14 AM 5/26/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>Here is my question, the author of the new program says on his website
>that the program
>"will not mess with your system files, or write to the registry"
>is this possible?
>
>Never been a programer so I have no idea about this subject.
>
><http://tinyurl.com/dhv5m>http://tinyurl.com/dhv5m

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:54:52 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

That depends on how you look at this surreptitious way that programs like
this do to report to HQ. I think it is a privacy issue and whenever your
firewall alerts you of such an activity you have to ask yourself, "Do I
want MS or Symantec, or whatever-software company which programmed this
software to know what I'm doing?" For me, the answer is "HECK NO!" If you
are the type of person who do not mind this intrusion, then you are a more
trusting man than me. However, who is to say that these avenues of access
may not be abused by the software makers or worse yet, exploited by
no-gooders who continue to spoil everyone's online fun. I think it is much
safer to just block them, assuming doing so won't break the software or
make it non-functional, and enjoy the use of such software without being
spied on.

As for the subject line question, "Can a program run and not use the
registry?" the answer is yes. There are programs that do not make any
changes to the registry when ran and there are programs that do not need to
be installed in order to run them.

Ken Hollingsworth wrote:
Vince, I tried this Sticky application, and it looks pretty clean. However,
FYI - when I first started it, ZA alerted me it was trying to get out, as
did MS Alert system. I denied both, but you have to wonder why it was, and
where it was headed.

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 11:59:34 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Win9X & XP tips: Is there anyway to release system resources?

Here is another question for everyone?:

Can you do anything to release system resources?
For your answer, go to MCH Forums and register (shameless plug):
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showtopic=3D103&st=3D0&;
The above is the link to the article I posted, not MCH Forums registration
page.

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:28:30 GMT
   From: GallowayOld@xxxxxxx
Subject: Hello

Just testing the group to see if I am still subscribed

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 16:01:27 -0400
   From: "esrman" <esrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Atnotes has saved my big butt a lot of times!

I still am using it.
I saved a setup copy to my external drive.

  <kenholl@xxxx> wrote:
  > Vince,
  >  I tried this Sticky application, and it looks pretty clean.
  > However, FYI - when I first started it, ZA alerted me it was
  > trying to get out, as did MS Alert system. I denied both, but
  > you have to wonder why it was, and where it was headed.
  >  Ken Hollingsworth

  =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

Service.

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 15:56:15 -0500
   From: "ctm007" <ctm007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hello

yep.

Carl
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 01:52:12 -0000
   From: "karsie simon" <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Sean's MCH Forums

I just visited Sean's new project and although it is not yet active,
I encourage everyone to join and post there. It is starting to shape
up as a great tech support forum site and encourage everyone to
visit it at least once a week. There have been new valuable postings
being added to the forums each day, I noticed. The latest tip that
Sean added that you, MCH members will find valuable, specially those
still using Win98 is this:

Do not assume you know the contents of these tips. My first reaction
when I saw the title of the article was you really can't release
system resources. I changed my mind after reading Sean's article.

Releasing System Resources in Windows 9X, Millenium & XP
http://snipurl.com/f78s
Can you do anything to release your computer's system resources?
For the answer, go to MCH Forums and register:
http://shorterlink.com/?I34IX1
The above is the link to the article, not MCH Forums registration
page which is this one:
http://shorterlink.com/?U2KKYC
Email Sean for the password to The Library.

There are more stuff there to keep you busy. Some of them are here:
http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showforum=3D1

After Sean supported this group for some years, I think it's time we
support him.
Good work, Sean!

Karsie
Moderator/Owner of MCH

Message: 9
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:57:41 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Terminator 3: War of the Machines Two Vulnerabilities

In case you have this game:

Secunia Security Advisories

TITLE:
Terminator 3: War of the Machines Two Vulnerabilities

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA15520

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/15520/

CRITICAL:
Highly critical

IMPACT:
DoS, System access

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
Terminator 3: War Of The Machines
http://secunia.com/product/3231/

Luigi Auriemma has reported two vulnerabilities in Terminator 3: War of the
Machines, which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial
of Service) and potentially compromise a vulnerable system.

1) A boundary error in the handling of cd-key hashes can be exploited to
cause a buffer overflow by sending an overly long cd-key hash.

Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.

2) An error in the handling of overly long nicknames can be exploited to
crash a vulnerable server by joining with an overly long nickname.

The vulnerabilities have been reported in versions 1.16 and prior.

SOLUTION:
Host games on trusted networks only.

PROVIDED AND/OR DISCOVERED BY:
Luigi Auriemma

ORIGINAL ADVISORY:
http://aluigi.altervista.org/adv/t3wmbof-adv.txt

Members: 649

Message: 10
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:47:53 -0000
   From: "solfan10" <Solfan1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Sean's MCH Forums

Hi Karsie,

FYI, all three links go to "My Computer Headaches Forums->Log In" and
not to the articles.  You have to be a member to read the articles.

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "karsie simon"
<foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxx> wrote:
> I just visited Sean's new project and although it is not yet active,
> I encourage everyone to join and post there. It is starting to shape
> up as a great tech support forum site and encourage everyone to
> visit it at least once a week. There have been new valuable postings
> being added to the forums each day, I noticed. The latest tip that
> Sean added that you, MCH members will find valuable, specially those
> still using Win98 is this:
>
> Do not assume you know the contents of these tips. My first reaction
> when I saw the title of the article was you really can't release
> system resources. I changed my mind after reading Sean's article.
>
> Releasing System Resources in Windows 9X, Millenium & XP
> http://snipurl.com/f78s
> Can you do anything to release your computer's system resources?
> For the answer, go to MCH Forums and register:
> http://shorterlink.com/?I34IX1
> The above is the link to the article, not MCH Forums registration
> page which is this one:
> http://shorterlink.com/?U2KKYC
> Email Sean for the password to The Library.
>
> There are more stuff there to keep you busy. Some of them are here:
> http://s11.invisionfree.com/SpunkyMcSpank/index.php?showforum=3D1
>
> After Sean supported this group for some years, I think it's time we
> support him.
> Good work, Sean!
>

> Karsie
> Moderator/Owner of MCH

Message: 11
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:56:05 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well atleast he is telling the truth about the not using the
registry. And yes if I have a program that tries to go out I will
check out why first and if I can not figure it out I will block it.

Some programs must go out to do thier job. If there is a feature in
a program that is asking permission and I can turn that feature off
the try again and it don't ask atleast you know what is causing the
request.

It is a shame about the program I am trying to replace though. I
know the programer could have made money at it if he would have
marketed it correctly. There is just nothing better. Maybe one day
someone will buy the code and continue on with the project.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> That depends on how you look at this surreptitious way that
programs like this do to report to HQ. I think it is a privacy issue
and whenever your firewall alerts you of such an activity you have
to ask yourself, "Do I want MS or Symantec, or whatever-software
company which programmed this software to know what I'm doing?" For
me, the answer is "HECK NO!" If you are the type of person who do
not mind this intrusion, then you are a more trusting man than me.
However, who is to say that these avenues of access may not be
abused by the software makers or worse yet, exploited by no-gooders
who continue to spoil everyone's online fun. I think it is much
safer to just block them, assuming doing so won't break the software
or make it non-functional, and enjoy the use of such software
without being spied on.

> As for the subject line question, "Can a program run and not use
the registry?" the answer is yes. There are programs that do not
make any changes to the registry when ran and there are programs
that do not need to be installed in order to run them.

Message: 12
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 02:58:11 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Weather it really does or not is not the real issue here, was just
checking out the ability to do this to check the honesty of the guy.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steve Tabler
<stevetabler@xxxx> wrote:
> I think it is possible, because sometimes I need to use an old MS-
Dos
> program, and all I have to do is copy it to my hard drive, and
I'll
> sometimes make a shortcut to the program's exe file.  Programs can
still be
> written this way.  The program you found, I don't know.
>
> Steve

Message: 13
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 03:01:49 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Glad to here someone is still using it. I have not gotten around to
installing it in my new (laughing) XP machine built the Xp machine
about a year ago.

Anyway I am guessing you are on XP and it is working fine. What
version are you using. 9.41, 9.50 or something older?

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "esrman" <esrman@xxxx>
wrote:
> Atnotes has saved my big butt a lot of times!
>
> I still am using it.
> I saved a setup copy to my external drive.

Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 21:39:48 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Sean's MCH Forums

Yes, I know they do. You can't read any of the postings there without being
a member. I was trying to promote Sean's MCH Forums.

--- "karsie simon" wrote:
[...]

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 15
   Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 03:13:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Yes, that is possible. There are programs that do not write to the
Registry. Also, just because a program is abandoned by the original
programmer does not mean it will cease to work nor people would stop using
them. A case in point is Proxomitron. This is one software that is being
used by millions of fans of the software YEARS AFTER THE PROGRAMMER
ABANDONED IT. It has developed a great following because of what the
software can do to system security.

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all;

I have been using a nice little program called ATNotes, however the author
of the program has called it quits. It was a free program and he did not
get enough donations to keep it going. Too bad it was and it the best of
it's type.

Here is my question, the author of the new program says on his website that
the program "will not mess with your system files, or write to the
registry" is this possible?

Never been a programer so I have no idea about this subject.

http://tinyurl.com/dhv5m

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here