[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1389

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 12:00:01 -0700

           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Irene Uys" <ireneuys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Re: Bus speed ?
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Re: Bus speed ?
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Re: delete calls
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Re: delete calls
           From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Bill V: On your WinFax Pro 10.02 problems
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Re: Bus speed ?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: Bus speed ?
           From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: Re: Bus speed ?
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:29:36 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Bus speed ?

See replies inline--

Gordon Stewart wrote:
> Hi there
>
> My PC has had an error (again)....
>
> It says something about BUS speed or computer speed exceeding
> manufacturers settings etc... (or something)....
>
> http://temp.kwister.com/1.bmp
>
> Questions :-
>
> In above pic - Is it normal to have 2-3 "USB ROOT HUB" things showing ?
###  Yes.  You generally have a root hub for every host controller and
every pair of USB ports.  The enhanced host controller means you have
USB 2.0.

> (on my screen its ok - But saving to pic - pic not good quality ??)
###  Picture is OK; clear and sharp.

> Anyway - Thats q 1.
>
> 2) How can I REDUCE  the speed at which my PC processes / USB connects
> etc - To be under the manufacturers settings ?
###  This is in the BIOS of set by jumpers or switches on the
motherboard for the CPU.  The USB will run at either 12Mbps or at
480Mbps, depending on whether it is USB 1.1 or USB 2.0.  There is no way
for the end user to easily change that.

Most modern boards automatically detect the CPU parameters and set the
board accordingly.  Front Side Bus settings can alter that so you'll
need to set those to auto or the correct settings for your processor.
(If you have a CPU with a core FSB of 333, then it is common to set the
board at 166 x 2.  266 would be 133 x 2 and 400 is usually just set at
200 x 2.)

> (if thats the prob..)
>
> I forgot to save the page / URL...
>
> 2) SEPERATE....
>
> Im on Win XP
>
> How do I create a ram-drive ?
>
> (I want as fewe hardware processes going on as possible - If I have  a
> ram-drive, No hard-disk interaction is necessary  - with temp file
> access etc...)
###  Why bother?  A RAM drive is created in memory, so instead of using
the memory in your system you'll use the RAM drive created in the memory
in your system.  But the RAM drive will be a little slower since the
system will now use that memory as a drive rather than actual memory.
DMA might not come into play, which will make access slower.  If you've
got 'loads' of RAM (most people set 256 as the minimum for XP, 512 as
good for everyday use and 1GB for memory intense programs; those running
AutoCad or Photoshop), then XP will use that RAM, rather than the
harddrive, until the RAM is full.  Then it will use the page file to
swap data in memory to the page file on the harddrive.  But if you're in
the 512 to 1GB category of RAM, this should rarely happen unless you
just have everything in the world open at once.

If programs are slow in loading, you'll need to look at defragmenting
the harddrive or speeding up harddrive access, either by getting a
faster harddrive or setting up RAID for faster access.

And with Windows, things in the Temp folder will continue to be stored
there unless you manage to rewrite the code to put them somewhere else.
If your system is slow, I'd look elsewhere to speed things up.

Tom

> ( Ive got loads of RAM  )

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:10:14 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: delete calls

To all that have tried to help with my WinFax problem:
I have been using WinFax 10 with XP and have not had any real problems
until now. I've tried rebuilding/optimizing the logs as suggested in the
Symantec knowledge base article the Spunkster linked me to. But it
didn't work.
Let me describe what I'm seeing. In my receive log under the x/checkmark
column heading, I see a lighting bolt icons.
The next column, the exlaimation point, is empty. The third column, the
page and envelope one, there are phone receiver icons. The next two
columns-attachments (paper clip,) and name are empty. I have the
day,date, and, time of each event (call,)and, the rest of the columns
are empty.
I highlight each item I want to delete, try all methods to delete these,
nothing happens. If a call is canceled, apparently when the caller hears
the modem tones, I can delete that event. But the ones I described
above, are the ones I can't get rid of.

--
Bill Vollmer

Message: 3
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:33:48 -0000
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Bus speed ?

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxx>
wrote:

> > 2) How can I REDUCE  the speed at which my PC processes / USB connects
> > etc - To be under the manufacturers settings ?
> ###  This is in the BIOS of set by jumpers or switches on the
> motherboard for the CPU.  The USB will run at either 12Mbps or at
> 480Mbps, depending on whether it is USB 1.1 or USB 2.0.  There is no
way
> for the end user to easily change that.

Ive been to the bios now - & found something :-

ADVANCED DRAM CONTROL >> CAS LATENCY SETTING..

I changed from 2.5T to 2T

& re-booted...

the reboot seems faster :) & more 'smooth'

Is the CAS Latency a good thing to reduce ?

- I'll leave it a day or so - See if any more errors come....

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:20:50 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Don't mess with the CAS Latency; let the motherboard auto detect it by
using the SPD module.  Wrong settings will cause problems.  And CAS
Latency has nothing to do with FSB speed.

What, exactly is the motherbaord maker and model or the system make and
model?

Tom

Gordon Stewart wrote:
> --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxx>
> wrote:
>

>>>2) How can I REDUCE  the speed at which my PC processes / USB connects
>>>etc - To be under the manufacturers settings ?
>>
>>###  This is in the BIOS of set by jumpers or switches on the
>>motherboard for the CPU.  The USB will run at either 12Mbps or at
>>480Mbps, depending on whether it is USB 1.1 or USB 2.0.  There is no
>
> way
>
>>for the end user to easily change that.
>

> Ive been to the bios now - & found something :-
>
> ADVANCED DRAM CONTROL >> CAS LATENCY SETTING..
>
> I changed from 2.5T to 2T
>
> & re-booted...
>
> the reboot seems faster :) & more 'smooth'
>
> Is the CAS Latency a good thing to reduce ?
>
> - I'll leave it a day or so - See if any more errors come....

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:32:50 -0000
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
> Don't mess with the CAS Latency; let the motherboard auto detect it by
> using the SPD module.  Wrong settings will cause problems.  And CAS
> Latency has nothing to do with FSB speed.

Maybe it was wrong & I fixed it ? :)

> What, exactly is the motherbaord maker and model or the system make
and model?
<

http://temp.kwister.com/sys.html

Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.60 GHz

Board: SiS-650GX

Message: 6
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 09:38:57 -0700
   From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: delete calls

Hey Bill,
 On 5/20/05, Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> To all that have tried to help with my WinFax problem:

 ## This AM - I told you I went back to V. 9 from V.10. Now at work, I see
that
 I do, in fact, have V. 10.02 running in XP Pro.

 Let me describe what I'm seeing. In my receive log under the x/checkmark
> column heading, I see a lighting bolt icons.

  ## The lightning bolt icons are what I see when there is a transmission
 in progress. But, this is usually in my Outbox that I see these. I would
 hazard a guess that if you see these icons in your Receive Logs, something
 happened that caused the modem not to release after the call/fax. Were
 these Faxes?

 The next column, the exlaimation point, is empty. The third column, the
> page and envelope one, there are phone receiver icons.

 ## - Well, I would say this means WinFax attempted to answer a call. Maybe
 you need to set it so it don''t do that, unless you have a high percentage
 of faxes....

 The next two
> columns-attachments (paper clip,) and name are empty. I have the
> day,date, and, time of each event (call,)and, the rest of the columns
> are empty.

 ## As far as I know, WinFax is for Faxin' - not an answering machine.
 I doubt it would log any of this stuff that it didn't find in the
Phonebook.
 Do you recognize the phone numbers?

 I highlight each item I want to delete, try all methods to delete these,
> nothing happens. If a call is canceled, apparently when the caller hears
> the modem tones, I can delete that event. But the ones I described
> above, are the ones I can't get rid of.

 ## Suspecting that the receiver icons are voice calls, as opposed to
faxes,

 and that your lightening bolts are "in progress", try to right-click one=
 of
 then, and see if you have an option to stop the transmission - then delete=

it...
 or after highlighting it, hit the delete key - I do this when I need to
stop a
 fax from going out for some reason. It always makes me confirm that I
 want to cancell the fax.

Ken Hollingsworth

 --
> Bill Vollmer

Message: 7
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 19:25:11 +0200
   From: "Irene Uys" <ireneuys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XP activation question

Thanks, Steve. Would it harm to "activate"
it again, perhaps?
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:07:48 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ken; in the "events" I want to get rid of, in the receive log there are
no numbers listed. In fact since I just reinstalled the program a couple
of weeks ago, after a system recovery to factory specs, there is nothing
in the phone book. Since I've left on automatic, I hear the modem's tone
of someone accessing that number, but by the time I get to it, I'm left
with what I've described,
I tried again right clicking on each item in each event, selecting
delete-the option you mention isn't shown, still nothing happens.

Message: 9
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:34:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Even if you want to, and you somehow convinced MS to allow you to do so,
what is the point of doing it? :) It won't serve no purpose, nor add or
subtract from Windows XP or what you already have.

   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:51:37 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

YIKES!!! Gordon!!!! Next time, please don't post what you just did. Loads
of personal info are in that link. I hope nobody exploits this.

Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" wrote:
Don't mess with the CAS Latency; let the motherboard auto detect it by
using the SPD module.  Wrong settings will cause problems.  And CAS Latency
has nothing to do with FSB speed.

Maybe it was wrong & I fixed it ? :)

> What, exactly is the motherbaord maker and model or the system make and
model?

http://temp.kwister.com/sys.html

Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.60 GHz

Board: SiS-650GX

Message: 11
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:59:35 -0700
   From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>

Bill,
 It would appear that your problem is either in the setup of WinFax,
or your Modem, or both. What type of modem do you have? Have you
upgraded the drivers for it to suit XP?
 In WinFax, if you click on Receive, and make sure Automatic Receive
is NOT checked (if it is, click it), that will stop WinFax from
automatically
answering a call.
 In WinFax - should you wish for WinFax to answer a call after "x" number
of rings - click on Tools, Program Setup, and there's a bunch of stuff in
there
that could possibly help with your problem(s) - make sure they are all set
up
right - get you a manual and run through it one step at a time.
 My problem, is I don't know use my fax like you do - it never receives a
voice
call - so I don't know how to tell you to fix that part of it. I run mine
as
a dedicated
line, and WinFax is setup as a printer on my PC - using a PCI modem. Which
makes me ask you also - is your modem a Voice + Fax modem? If it's just a
voice,
that is likely your problem, or complicates it further.
 Ken

Message: 12
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:34:21 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All well and good and a lot of info there but several companies make a
board with an SiS 650GX chipset.  Who is the manufacturer of the
motherboard and what is the model #?  The reason I ask is so I can
download the manual and look at how the BIOS settings are arranged.

 From Intel's site, your Celeron should run at either 400 MHz or 533MHz
FSB.  If it's not a Celeron D, (from the amount of cache, it's not a
Celeron D) then it should run at 400; probably 200 x 2.

Tom

>>What, exactly is the motherbaord maker and model or the system make
>
> and model?
> <
>
> http://temp.kwister.com/sys.html
>
> Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.60 GHz
>
> Board: SiS-650GX

> =3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Message: 13
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:38:05 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Un-wad panties there, Sean.  Nothing on that page will readily lead to
any exploits other than the Windows Product Key and that has already
been activated.  If not...  There might be a problem but otherwise, no.

I thought for a minute that Gordon had forgotten to trim his post. <G>

Tom

Seantific wrote:
> YIKES!!! Gordon!!!! Next time, please don't post what you just did. Loads
of personal info are in that link. I hope nobody exploits this.

> Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" wrote:
> Don't mess with the CAS Latency; let the motherboard auto detect it by
using the SPD module.  Wrong settings will cause problems.  And CAS Latency
has nothing to do with FSB speed.

> Maybe it was wrong & I fixed it ? :)
>

>>What, exactly is the motherbaord maker and model or the system make and
model?

> http://temp.kwister.com/sys.html
>
> Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.60 GHz
>
> Board: SiS-650GX

Message: 14
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:35:25 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ken; I know I should've changed the settings to from automatically
receive, after I reinstalled WinFax, but got lazy. As for my modem,
device manager lists it as a GTW v.92 voice modem. But I seem to recall
while WinFax was setting up it recognized as a pci type data/voice
modem. The modem is hooked to a separate phone line, from my "main"
phone number, I THINK the reason I'm receiving voice calls on this line
is that somebody else had that number before I got it from my local TelCo
(SBC). I think this because I have received calls on my "main" line
looking for people I don't know. These people were dialing the "right"
number. It's just the person who had the number doesn't have it any
more. I guess since I don't have a manual for WinFax, I'll have to
uninstall it then reinstall it to get rid of these events, making sure I
set it to manually receive only, unless I'm expecting a fax, and, can't
be around to answer it.
Ken Hollingsworth wrote:

> Bill,
> It would appear that your problem is either in the setup of WinFax,
> or your Modem, or both. What type of modem do you have? Have you
> upgraded the drivers for it to suit XP?
> In WinFax, if you click on Receive, and make sure Automatic Receive
> is NOT checked (if it is, click it), that will stop WinFax from
> automatically
> answering a call.
> In WinFax - should you wish for WinFax to answer a call after "x" number
> of rings - click on Tools, Program Setup, and there's a bunch of stuff in
> there
> that could possibly help with your problem(s) - make sure they are all
> set
> up
> right - get you a manual and run through it one step at a time.
> My problem, is I don't know use my fax like you do - it never receives a
> voice
> call - so I don't know how to tell you to fix that part of it. I run
> mine as
> a dedicated
> line, and WinFax is setup as a printer on my PC - using a PCI modem.=
 Which
> makes me ask you also - is your modem a Voice + Fax modem? If it's just a
> voice,
> that is likely your problem, or complicates it further.
> Ken

Message: 15
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:49:32 -0700
   From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>

Bill,
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/winfax_pro/ver10.02=
/manuals/wfpro_10.02_ug.pdf
 will get you a PDF copy of V 10.02 - which should be about the same for
your version.

Ken

Message: 16
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 15:57:59 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Bill V: On your WinFax Pro 10.02 problems

The version of WinFax Pro that you have seems like a really bad version as
already mentioned by Ken H.and Chris S. a few messages ago who gave such
good explanations and recommendations on your problem. Furthermore, it may
anger you more that actually a lot of people agree with Ken and Chris as
you can read here:
http://www.pricegrabber.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=3D472309/id_typ=
e=3DM/

The people who reviewed the product pretty much said in no uncertain terms
and unanimously "Stay away from this product."

I'm sorry. Have you tried calling Symantec? Is there anyway you can return
it? Of course, your other problem is uninstalling it. Symantec products are
legendary for having buggy uninstallers. *SIGH*

WinXP has its own Fax program:

How to enable and configure the Fax service in Windows XP
 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;Q306550
 Use that link for how to setup the fax service that comes with WinXP.

If you enabled the XP Fax before you installed WinFax Pro, this might be
your problem. It seems that XP does not like having other fax programs when
the XP Fax is installed or enabled. You have to delete or remove the XP Fax
first then uninstall and re-load WinFax 10.02. This might result in other
programs not acknowledging WinFax so Word, Excel & Corel can't be sent to
WinFax due to XP's setup. What you can do is uninstall Word, Excel or Corel
then reinstall them. From what I've read (I don't use anything from
Symantec), this route works. Of course, your mileage will vary. When you
initially use WinFax, just print to the fax printer. That is, select Print
from the File menu and pick the WinFax printer.

Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Spunkster;
I don't understand what you are asking about Winfax. The edition I have
proclaims itself to be WinFax Pro 10.02 for XP. I'm running XP home.

Message: 17
   Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:04:06 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Hehe....I was thinking of the serial numbers displayed..

Seantific wrote:
> YIKES!!! Gordon!!!! Next time, please don't post what you just did. Loads
of personal info are in that link. I hope nobody exploits this.

Message: 18
   Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 02:38:12 -0000
   From: "Gordon Stewart" <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
> All well and good and a lot of info there but several companies make a
> board with an SiS 650GX chipset.  Who is the manufacturer of the
> motherboard and what is the model #?  The reason I ask is so I can
> download the manual and look at how the BIOS settings are arranged.

Motherboard Model      SiS-650GX
Motherboard Vendor     Elitegroup (ECS)
Chipset Model          SiS650 CPU to PCI Bridge
Chipset Vendor         Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
BIOS Model             Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS Vendor            Award Software Inc.

Does that help - 'Bios Model' ?

(i'll not copy the whole thing .. :) )
(Fresh Diagnose)

But the change I made last night - Seemed to help :)

I left my PC on all night (I sleep during the day on weekends :)
- & its still going - after being on 12 hours  - No freezing :)

Message: 19
   Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 08:41:13 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Yes, that helped but you still need to give the motherboard model #.  It
will be something like L4S5MG/GX.  It should be stenciled on the board
or on the booklet that came with your system.  SiS 650GX is just the
chipset; as I've said, many manufacturers use that in their boards.

Using the manual for the L4S5MG/GX, the settings you want are under
Frequency/Voltage Control.  They're probably the same for any
motherboard that ECS makes using that chipset. I'm thinking the first
one, CPU clock, should be 6.5, the next 2, Auto Detect and Spread
Spectrum, should be Enabled and the last, CPU Host...Clock, should be
Default.

If, when you cold boot the machine, the processor shows correctly as
2.6GHz Celeron, then your settings are correct.

Leaving the PC on all night without its freezing doesn't indicate much,
unless it would freeze before under those conditions.  A PC at idle
doesn't do much of anything except snooze.

Tom

Gordon Stewart wrote:
> --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxx>
> wrote:
>
>>All well and good and a lot of info there but several companies make a
>>board with an SiS 650GX chipset.  Who is the manufacturer of the
>>motherboard and what is the model #?  The reason I ask is so I can
>>download the manual and look at how the BIOS settings are arranged.
>

> Motherboard Model      SiS-650GX
> Motherboard Vendor     Elitegroup (ECS)
> Chipset Model          SiS650 CPU to PCI Bridge
> Chipset Vendor         Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)
> BIOS Model             Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
> BIOS Vendor            Award Software Inc.
>
> Does that help - 'Bios Model' ?
>
> (i'll not copy the whole thing .. :) )
> (Fresh Diagnose)
>
> But the change I made last night - Seemed to help :)
>
> I left my PC on all night (I sleep during the day on weekends :)
> - & its still going - after being on 12 hours  - No freezing :)

=3D=3D=3DMOD RULE: Delete this line & everything below it when responding=
 to an
email.=3D=3D=3D

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here