[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1375

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 09:32:59 -0700

There are 12 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. My Dear Helpful Computer Friends
           From: "Vivian McGraw" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. If they are old floppies
           From: "journeyone" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: If they are old floppies
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Re: Windows\System32 Programs question - Thank yous
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Re: New Memory Stumped
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Mozilla "IFRAME" JavaScript URL Cross-Site Scripting
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Medium Risk Virus Alert: Mydoom.BQ
           From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Having problems playing games with pogo and yahoo
           From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 11:23:01 -0000
   From: "Vivian McGraw" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: My Dear Helpful Computer Friends

I guess you see I've not been as active as I was..Since the weather is
warming up here in NJ, for the next couple months I'll be in and out in my
motor home..I'll still be on line but the speed of my laptop via cell phone
is horrendously slow 14.2 KB..takes forever to d/l mail..so I have to go on
Digest for the summer...

I'm on several RVing lists besides My Computer Headaches and I need to keep
up with them now if I'm to meet any of them in person at nearby GT's.
Know I read all the posts...!!!
Hugs Always Viv...

Below is the URL where Updates on myTrip Cross Country can be
found..Join....
With Me...

37' 98 Chevy 5350 Dolphin
97 Chevy Auto. Conv. Toad

Home in Brick, NJ for the time being. Leaving on Virgin Voyage for
Ca. on Oct.. 4, 2005...

Look for "Journey One" on all 4 sides of my coach...and the.."COPD
Awareness".. Message on the back ...Approach me anywhere..enroute...

My Pages
http://community.webshots.com/user/journey144
http://www.geocities.com/vivian_mcgraw/index.html
http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/rvingforwomen.htm
Scroll down to...'Beyond the call of duty' ......for this little story
about me....

Message: 2
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 13:09:40 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk

It looks like you read my mind and addressed the other concern that
came up earlier today when I was told that there is a limited number
of times that one can re-install XP before being required to re-
activate. I haven't kept count, but I re-installed XP 4 times in the
last 10 days or so, and my total re-installs during the last three
years is probably up to 6 or 7!

Thanks for the info on backing up those two files to floppies. I
should be re-installing either today or tomorrow, and will report
back with the results. If I can get back online, of course!  Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

> As far as the installation is concerned, I don't think you will
have a problem if you are worried about having to call MS again to
have it re-activated.
> All you have to back up are two little files. Go to your
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" &
back those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it
on. After you install XP, go into safe mode and put them into your
windows\system32 directory. When you reboot you should be activated
without actually going through MS.

> Do you have other concerns?
>

> Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxx> wrote:
> That's exactly what I am saying, except that I will wipe both
drives clean and only put XP on the added smaller HD. Since that HD
will be my boot disc, I presume it will be the master and the 40 GB
HD will be the slave. Not positive about that but I'll find out soon
enough.
> I realize that I will no doubt have a problem with the install as
MS will think I am installing to a second PC, however, there is
surely some way to do this as this is my legal copy of XP which I
will be using on ONLY one PC!
>=
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 08:03:47 -0400
   From: "journeyone" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: If they are old floppies

Hi Sean,
OLD FLOPPIES...can 1998 be considered old..??...Not in my book...I have
pictures taken a hundred years ago that I can still look at in my albums
from film cameras..that only cost a few paultry dollars..compared to what
we spend to day...it's unbelievable ...but as long as we keep buying
.....they'll keep changing....it's pitiful...
I spent over 3,000.00 on  a new XP Dell 4600 Computer  specially customized
besides, and what does it do for me...takes away more than it gives
me...makes me start over !!!
I detest it all...I'm fed up with trying to keep up and constatntly losing
in the process..

The past 7 years since my husband passed away I've spent over 15,000 on
computer equipment.. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day they make my digital photo's taken with the Sony FD-71 and FD-75
Cameras...obsolete is the day I quit computing ...Yes I bought two of those
cameras, to make sure I'd have a working one for a long time to come in
case they stopped making them, and parts for them, and they SURE HAVE...
They've already stopped including Floppy Drives unless we order THEM
specially, which I had to do ...!!!

I am so disgusted with the greed...They know already what's coming out next
to bleed us for more...I'll be 80 yrs old on May 15th...and I can't handle
anymore... I know I'm not alone...several of my closest friends have about
had it too...

Please post this Sean...it needs to be said...

                        Hugs Always   Viv...
If they are old floppies,containing old programs, chances are those
programs won't work in XP.

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 08:48:15 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

The issue of inadequate diskspace for XP of course still remains. Whatever
will you do with all your Windows updates, Documents and Settings, personal
files like emails, and other parts of programs you are to install (you know
that they will add files to your system drive and you have no control over
that).
You may also want to relocate your paging file to the bigger and faster
drive.

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

As far as the installation is concerned, I don't think you will have a
problem if you are worried about having to call MS again to have it
re-activated.
All you have to back up are two little files. Go to your
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" & back
those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it on. After you
install XP, go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32
directory. When you reboot you should be activated without actually going
through MS.

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 08:53:45 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: If they are old floppies

I understand where you are coming from, Viv. Regarding your old floppies,
the issue is not their age but their contents. Since you do not know what's
in them and one of them already caused your computer to go bad, I was just
suggesting that you do not try to open them since doing so might damage
your system which may be a much bigger grief than erasing and formatting
those floppies.

journeyone <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]

Message: 6
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 11:37:07 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Windows\System32 Programs question - Thank yous

Thank you, Rich, for the Google suggestions, and thank you, Sparky, for
helping me privately.  I guess switching from Win98 to WinXP (along with
all the other upgrades/updates required) plus trying to network a laptop
and a desktop has just been somewhat overwhelming, and I just couldn't find=

the info I needed and could understand.  I think maybe I'm "seeing the
light at the end of the tunnel" now, so I'm keeping at it. :)

    Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
       <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 7
   Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 00:37:22 -0000
   From: "Vince" <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: New Memory Stumped

Ok did some final testing here. Returned the first memory. Confirmed
with Dell about the processor. It is running at 7.5 x 133. The first
memory memory we tried as you recall had a problem giving registry
errors when installed with the original memory. When installed alone
windows would not boot.

Now the new chip I purchased will not run at all when installed alone
I just get muitipal bios beeps. If installed with the original memory
the computer works fine but the second chip is not recognized.

Dell also confirmed that there would be no issues if the chips did
have different density.

I am now lost. I may just have to leave my friend with 128mb or send
him to a shop that will just put chips in until we find one that will
work.

Vince

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxx>
wrote:
> I believe that the CPU runs at 10 x 100FSB (although it could be
running
> at 7.5 x 133), so the memory is running at 100MHz rather than
133MHz.
> Most PC133 memory will operate this way but some won't.  Sounds
like you
> got the kind that won't.
>
> Or you may have to go into the BIOS and change the FSB settings.
You'll
> need to check with Intel to see how that CPU is supposed to be set.
>
> A couple years ago, I ran into some memory put out by Kingston.  It
was
> labeled PC133 and the boob at OfficeMax assured me it would run on
> system that took PC100. (BTW, the real boob at OfficeMax was me for
> believing what the store clerk told me.)  As it turned out,
Kingston
> even had a warning on their website that the memory in question may
not
> work in all systems at 100MHz.  I've since stayed with Crucial with
no
> problems whatsoever and never looked back.
>
> Another thing may be differing CAS latency.  Memory with a latency
of 2
> is faster than memory with a latency of 3.  In a system, when
multiple
> memory modules are installed, the motherboard usually times memory
> access using the parameters contained in the SPD chip on the first
> module, the module in the No.1 DIMM slot.  If that module has a
latency
> of 2 and the second one a latency of 3, the system will be trying
> access the second module faster than it can handle things.  So try
> swapping the modules around, putting the newer one in the first
slot and
> the original in the second slot.
>
> If the 128MB memory was the original from Dell, then either the 128
or
> 256MB sticks from Crucial will work. 256 part #'s are CT 268933/34
> ($67); 128 part #'s are CT268931/32 ($37)
>
> Tom

Message: 8
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:17:04 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: New Memory Stumped

I had some of those old motherboards that became quite picky about ram when
they were ready to fail.  Even memory that had worked fine in them before.

Just thought you should hear that.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

> [...]
> of 2
> > is faster than memory with a latency of 3.  In a system, when
> multiple
> > memory modules are installed, the motherboard usually times memory
> > access using the parameters contained in the SPD chip on the first
> > module, the module in the No.1 DIMM slot.  If that module has a
> latency
> > of 2 and the second one a latency of 3, the system will be trying
> > access the second module faster than it can handle things.  So try
> > swapping the modules around, putting the newer one in the first
> slot and
> > the original in the second slot.
> >
> > If the 128MB memory was the original from Dell, then either the 128
> or
> > 256MB sticks from Crucial will work. 256 part #'s are CT 268933/34
> > ($67); 128 part #'s are CT268931/32 ($37)

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 20:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>

Did you refer to the motherboard manual to see what type/brand of memory
the mobo manufacturer recommends or what the mobo requires?

Vince <timechaser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Ok did some final testing here. Returned the first memory. Confirmed with
Dell about the processor. It is running at 7.5 x 133. The first memory
memory we tried as you recall had a problem giving registry errors when
installed with the original memory. When installed alone windows would not
boot.

Now the new chip I purchased will not run at all when installed alone I
just get multiple bios beeps. If installed with the original memory the
[...]

labeled PC133 and the boob at OfficeMax assured me it would run on a system
that took PC100. (BTW, the real boob at OfficeMax was me for believing what
the store clerk told me.) As it turned out, Kingston even had a warning on
their website that the memory in question may not work in all systems at
100MHz. I've since stayed with Crucial with no problems whatsoever and
never looked back.

Another thing may be differing CAS latency. Memory with a latency of 2 is
faster than memory with a latency of 3. In a system, when multiple memory
modules are installed, the motherboard usually times memory access using
the parameters contained in the SPD chip on the first module, the module in
the No.1 DIMM slot. If that module has a latency of 2 and the second one a
latency of 3, the system will be trying to access the second module faster
than it can handle things. So try swapping the modules around, putting the
newer one in the first slot and the original in the second slot.

If the 128MB memory was the original from Dell, then either the 128 or
256MB sticks from Crucial will work. 256 part #'s are CT 268933/34 ($67);
128 part #'s are CT268931/32 ($37)

Tom

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 10
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:46:50 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Mozilla "IFRAME" JavaScript URL Cross-Site Scripting

Secunia Security Advisories

TITLE:
Mozilla "IFRAME" JavaScript URL Cross-Site Scripting

SECUNIA ADVISORY ID:
SA15296

VERIFY ADVISORY:
http://secunia.com/advisories/15296/

CRITICAL:
Moderately critical

IMPACT:
Cross Site Scripting

WHERE:
From remote

SOFTWARE:
Mozilla 1.7.x
http://secunia.com/product/3691/

A vulnerability has been reported in Mozilla Suite, which can be exploited
by malicious people to conduct cross-site scripting attacks.

For more information, see vulnerability #1 in:
SA15292

The vulnerability has been confirmed in version 1.7.7. Other versions may
also be affected.

SOLUTION:
Disable JavaScript.

OTHER REFERENCES:
SA15292:
http://secunia.com/advisories/15292/

Members: 649

Message: 11
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:49:18 -0700 (PDT)
   From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Medium Risk Virus Alert: Mydoom.BQ

Secunia - Virus Alert
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Secunia Virus Alert: Mydoom.BQ

Risk Rating: MEDIUM RISK

Confirmed By: 4 Vendors

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Secunia Virus Information has issued a MEDIUM RISK alert for:
Mydoom.BQ

Learn More About Mydoom.BQ Online At Secunia:
http://secunia.com/virus_information/17859/

Virus Information Available At Secunia:
- Virus aliases
- Vendor severity ratings
- Vendor changelogs
- Short descriptions
- File sizes
- Grouped virus profiles with information from multiple antivirus vendors
- Links to removal tools/instructions
- Links to extensive vendor reports
- Searchable index of all virus information

Secunia Website:
http://secunia.com/

More Information About Secunia Virus Alerts:
http://secunia.com/secunia_virus_alerts/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

My Computer Headaches .... celebrating its 3rd Year Anniversary.
Members: 649

Message: 12
   Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 02:49:37 -0400 (EDT)
   From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Having problems playing games with pogo and yahoo

Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Before installing the Java version found in the link suggested by Murray, I
would suggest to you to go first to your Add/Remove Programs in Control
Panel and remove all the other Java versions that you have there. Then
install the new version. The reason for that is the older Java software are
vulnerable to several exploits.

Will agree with you there Sean. I did remove them post install but better
to do before.

Unfortunately, I forgot the link where I downloaded the program from.

When I d/l I prepare a separate folder named with the program and its
version # and then after receiving the d/l, I drag the link into the folder
and after the install is done, I then drag that folder into My Installed
Folder and all of this is in My Downloads in My Documents. Also, sometimes
if you open a program, in the Help>about, there is a website link (not
always though)

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here