[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1374

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 08:53:38 -0700

There are 4 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: Chessmaster Mahjoong Pacman and more
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Security Progs
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 22:40:15 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk

As far as the installation is concerned, I don't think you will have a
problem if you are worried about having to call MS again to have it
re-activated.
All you have to back up are two little files. Go to your
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ and find a file called "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" & back
those files up to a floppy, CD or whatever you want to put it on. After you
install XP, go into safe mode and put them into your windows\system32
directory. When you reboot you should be activated without actually going
through MS.

Do you have other concerns?

Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That's exactly what I am saying, except that I will wipe both drives clean
and only put XP on the added smaller HD. Since that HD will be my boot
disc, I presume it will be the master and the 40 GB HD will be the slave.
Not positive about that but I'll find out soon enough.
I realize that I will no doubt have a problem with the install as MS will
think I am installing to a second PC, however, there is surely some way to
do this as this is my legal copy of XP which I will be using on ONLY one
PC!
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
Are you saying the first drive has already an XP installation and now you
want to add a slave drive to install THE SAME XP using the same
installation CD?

Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxx> wrote:

I plan on using the small HD ONLY for the O/S Everything else will go on
the 40GB HD. As for restore points, the only way I restore XP is by wiping
it clean and re-installing. That is why I want to place it on the HD by
itself so I can wipe that disk clean without the fear of losing any of my
data or any other programs.
However, I now realize that I have another problem, namely that of trying
to install XP on different hardware from the original. I can fully
understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of their software, but certainly
there is some provision for installing on a different HD if the first one
crashes?

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 22:56:45 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Chessmaster Mahjoong Pacman and more

If they are old floppies, containing old programs, chances are those
programs won't work in XP. Do not just execute the programs you find in
them without first knowing what they do. You just might damage your Windows
since what they contain could be registry tweaks or mods. So what you can
do is just format them and hope for the best.

journeyone <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi ,
    My husband passed away 7 yrs ago...a year or so later is when I first
sat down to his puter and haven't gotten up since...!!! but I had hated the
puter while he was alive because he was a computer programmer with AT&T for
47 yrs...and it took up all  his time....this wife was just jealous of the
darn thing...
    He tried to interest me in leaning by making me puzzles out of our
pictures,,..buying Chess Master and since I was a 16 hundred player at the
local chess club...he hoped that would interest me and it
did,...somewhat...also mahjoong I liked ...and even silly pacman for the
kids...
    Now my reason for writing you today....
    I have just found a box full of floppy disks...all labeled with these
familiar things I've not seen in at least 5 yrs......
    I tried to open them in my windows xp...forget it ...not one would
open...
   Two caused my puter screen to go black and escape key didn't work ...had
to do a... Control, Alt, Delete and be shut down to get out of them...
    Is there any way to open these old Disks or are they lost and will I
find the same problem with all the floppy's I'm using now if and when I
upgrade this XP...Dell...
    Very discouraging....I am ready to forget the computer altogether...It
seems they keep forcing us to  buy what we don't need by purposely making
the things we're used to obsolete..I for one will not buy them over
again...just do with out ...
                            Hugs Always   Viv...

My Pages
http://community.webshots.com/user/journey144
http://www.geocities.com/vivian_mcgraw/index.html
http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/rvingforwomen.htm
Scroll down to...'Beyond the call of duty' ......for this little story
about me....

.
Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 06:58:29 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Security Progs

McAfee AVERT Stinger v2.5.4 has been released to help combat the
Sober.p invasion.Get it here:
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
=3D=3D=3D=3D
a-squared HiJackFree (500 KB)
Version 1.20 for Windows 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP and 2003 Server

This is a newer program.First public release was in Feb,2005.It is
free,stand alone,no registration software for system analysis in
fighting spyware.
Can be found at:
http://www.hijackfree.com/en/download/?
FROM THE SITE
a-squared HiJackFree is a detailed system analysis tool which helps
advanced users to detect and remove all types of HiJackers, Spyware,
Adware, Trojans and Worms.
END SITE INFO
Take a look if inclined.Could be useful.
Rich S

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 00:56:14 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.

Spunk:

Thanks for the comeback. (CB talk)
--- Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This is obviously a compatibility problem. Are you
> using Win98?

Yes.

> I think for testing purposes, what you can do is
> borrow someone else's video card and use it on your
> system.

I tried a few PCI cards and some ISA cards (I got 12
video cards on ebay for twenny bucks!) and none of
them worked. The system says that the drivers for the
card (Cirrus Logic) is good, but that the "main
display adaptor" which is not the card itself, is not
using any resources. This is over my head, I'm afraid.

Steve
NH

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/