[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1373

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 22:32:18 -0700

There are 25 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Google Web Accelerator USERS Beware!
           From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
      2. Re: Format Problem - SOLVED!
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re:Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash
           From: dar <dobbie606@xxxxxxxxx>
      4. Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: Google in German?
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
      7. Re: Google in German?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      8. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     10. Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     13. Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
     15. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Re[2]: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
     17. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     18. Re: Google in German?
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     19. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     20. Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     21. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
     22. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
     23. Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
     24. Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.
           From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     25. Re: Google in German?
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 19:05:06 +0200
   From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Google Web Accelerator USERS Beware!

On Sat, 7 May 2005 10:14:27 -0700 (PDT)
Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just fooling, Spunk. Seriously, though, I wouldn't
> touch that web accelerator with a 10-foot mouse.

If you did I would set my ten foot cat on you<G>

Love,
Misty
A rock --> me <-- A hard place
http://www.carecentre.org.za

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 15:51:00 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Format Problem - SOLVED!

I replaced the FDD with one that I took out of my older PC. I think I
may have damaged the FDD when I yanked a floppy out while the light
was
still on when I was partitioning the HDD, and thought that I was
deleting the wrong partition! It was just minutes later that it
failed
to work. I did re-check all the cables before replacing it, so there
is
no doubt that the drive is bad.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Paul, I'm still confused. What was the problem: the FDD or the
ribbon
cable connected to it?
> Are you saying you just reseated the cable onto your FDD and your
mobo?

Message: 3
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 07:32:51 -0400
   From: dar <dobbie606@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash

G'day all,
-here's something as chilling:
cheers,
dar

by Armitage Shanks :
BILL GATES BUYS A HOUSE...

Bill: "There are a few things we need to discuss."

Contractor: "Ah, you have our basic support option.
Calls are free for
the first 90 days and $75 per call thereafter. OK?"

Bill: "Uh, yeah... the first issue is the living room.
We think its a
little smaller than we anticipated."

Contractor: "Yeah... some compromises were made to
have it finished by
the release date."

Bill: "We won't be able to fit all our furniture in
there."

Contractor: "Well, you have two options. You can
purchase a new larger
living room; or you can use a Stacker."

Bill: "Stacker?"

Contractor: "Yaeh, it allows you to fit twice as much
furniture into
the room. By stacking it, of course, you put the
entertainment center
on the couch... the chairs on the table, etc. You
leave an empty spot
so when you want to use some furniture you can unstack
what you need
and then put it back when you're done."

Bill: "Uh... issue two. The second issue is the light
fixtures. The
bulbs we brought with us from our old home won't fit.
The threads run
the wrong way."

Contractor: "Oh! That's easy. Those bulbs aren't plug
and play. You'll
have to upgrade to the new bulbs."

Bill: "And the electrical outlets? The holes are
round, not
rectangular. How do I fix that?"

Contractor: "Just uninstall and reinstall the
electrical system."

Bill: "You're kidding!"

Contractor: "Nope. It's the only way."

Bill: "<sigh> Well... I have one last problem.
Sometimes, when I have
guests over, someone will flush the toilet and it
won't stop. The
water pressure drops so low the showers won't work."

Contractor: "That's a resource leakage problem. One
fixture is failing
to terminate and is hogging the resources preventing
access to the
other fixtures."

Bill: "And how do I fix that?"

Contractor: "Well, after each flush, you all need to
exit the house,
turn off the water at the street, turn it back on,
re-enter the house
and then you can get back to work."

---mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

Subject: Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash

This news item is way too funny. How many among you will actually trust
their life and their family's on cars that Ford will build and that
Microsoft will provide software for to make them NOT CRASH? Milliseconds
before impact, the entire windshields and all the windows go blue.

A reaction from someone to the news item below:
Software causing a car crash would lead to the first real court test of
EULA disclaimers. Microsoft may be able to disclaim liability for someone's
ruined spreadsheet, but if a Microsoft-powered car crashes and kills
someone, there's enough money at stake to sue and I doubt the court will be
impressed with what is written on page 87 of a EULA that the driver
supposedly agreed to by turning the ignition key.

And now....<drum roll please> ...THE JOKE OF THE DAY (this is a real news
item though):

I Must =85 Resist =85Windshield=85 of death=85. jokes.

Message: 4
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 15:54:27 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Adding a Second Hard Disk

My Pentium PC is sitting on the floor gathering dust. I would like to
remove the  Seagate 2.1 GB HD and install it in my current PC.
It's not an issue of needing more storage, as the Maxtor 40 GB HD
still
has about 95% available after 3 years in use, but I would
 like to use the second drive strictly for the XP O/S and put
everything else on the current larger drive.

Hopefully, this would make it easy to re-install XP when that becomes
necessary, without disturbing my data files and all the other
applications which would be on the Maxtor HD. This should also allow
me
to check the files on the Seagate drive, and copy them to the larger
drive if I find any that I would like to keep. I believe XP can read
the older files in FAT32 format, and I would then create an NTFS
partition on the smaller drive using all available space.

Please let me know if you are aware of any possible problems that may
arise if I try to add this smaller HD to my PC. Thanks in advance.
Paul

Message: 5
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 16:04:39 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Google in German?

I should have mentioned that I checked and rechecked all language
settings of both the browser and O/S, and nothing has changed. They
all point to good ood USA English. Well, perhaps I should change my
settings to the Queen's English, LOL !  At any rate, I'm glad to
learn that I'm not the only one having this problem. Really not a
problem, as my favorite search engine is not Google, but mama.com,
the Mother of all Search Engines! Try it, you'll like it. Thanks
again. Paul

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Google and some other sites can detect the language settings of a
browser and automatically serve content in the preferred language.
> My suggestion, go here:
> http://www.google.com/language_tools
> http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=3Den
>
> The details on changing language preference are often company-
confidential.

> Here is something interesting. Some Googlers noticed that going to
http://google.com does *not* result in a redirect. What's more,
language negotiation works too! It seems we can form a semi-official
conclusion here:
> Only http://www.google.com is broken. http://google.com seems to
work fine.

Message: 6
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 11:07:58 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Adding a Second Hard Disk

Hi Paul,
a 2.1 gig hard drive is too small to install Windows XP and it's patches on
to.

Mike ~ one of the Moderators
It is a good day if I learned something new.
Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/8/2005 at 3:54 PM Paul Ross wrote:

[...]

Message: 7
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:26:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Did you mess with the language settings at:
http://www.google.com/language_tools
http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=3Den
If you didn't, do try changing the language preferences there.
Did going to http://google.com instead of going to http://www.google.com do
anything for you?
Also try http://www.google.us
Once you go there, it will stay.
You may also empty your Temp and Temporary Internet Files and clear your
cookies for insurance.
Are you using Google Toolbar?
You mentioned that whenever you click on a Google shortcut, it brings you
to the German version of Google.Just wondering, who created this shortcut
that you are clicking and did you check its Properties? Rightclick it and
go to Properties>Web Content tab. Make sure that the URL indicated is the
right one: http://www.google.us

Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I should have mentioned that I checked and rechecked all language settings
of both the browser and O/S, and nothing has changed. They all point to
good ole USA English. Well, perhaps I should change my settings to the

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

Google and some other sites can detect the language settings of a browser
and automatically serve content in the preferred language. My suggestion,
go here:
http://www.google.com/language_tools
http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=3Den

The details on changing language preference are often company-confidential.

Here is something interesting. Some Googlers noticed that going to
http://google.com does *not* result in a redirect. What's more, language
negotiation works too! It seems we can form a semi-official conclusion
here: Only http://www.google.com is broken. http://google.com seems to work
fine.

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 8
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 12:48:03 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

XP on a 2.1GB drive? I wouldn't do it. I think it's too small. XP requires
a minimum of 1.5GB disk space. That leaves you only 600 MB to play with it.
You need about 20% FREE DISK SPACE before your system starts slowing down
or freezing. That leaves you about 200 MB to play with. What about your
RESTORE POINTS and your programs, your emails and personal files? Anyone
here using XP with only that much diskspace and happy with its performance?
I also would like to point you to this article. It talks about the speed of
the drive and other minimum system requirements for XP:

Windows XP: system requirements
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,10000653,00.htm

Also make sure that the old drive you want to use have an XP driver or at
least a Win2000 driver that you can use. You can't install Windows XP if
your motherboard contains the HighPoint Technologies HPT-366 chipset
(Highpoint's tech-support personnel confirm this) -- XP just doesn't have
the drivers to support the chipset. To get XP to work on that hardware, you
can download and use Windows 2000 drivers for the chipset or contact
HighPoint Technologies' help desk and ask for XP-specific drivers, which
you must load early in the XP setup process.

Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:My Pentium PC is sitting on the floor
[...]

Message: 9
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 15:44:16 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

My DVD writer needs almost 5 gigs of free space on the drive.  I have
several small drives like that and I wish I could think of a way to use=
 them
in modern systems.

Dennis Jenkins

> My Pentium PC is sitting on the floor gathering dust. I would like to
> remove the  Seagate 2.1 GB HD and install it in my current PC.
> It's not an issue of needing more storage, as the Maxtor 40 GB HD
> still
> has about 95% available after 3 years in use, but I would
>  like to use the second drive strictly for the XP O/S and put
> everything else on the current larger drive.
>
> Hopefully, this would make it easy to re-install XP when that becomes
> necessary, without disturbing my data files and all the other
> applications which would be on the Maxtor HD. This should also allow
> me
> to check the files on the Seagate drive, and copy them to the larger
> drive if I find any that I would like to keep. I believe XP can read
> the older files in FAT32 format, and I would then create an NTFS
> partition on the smaller drive using all available space.
>
> Please let me know if you are aware of any possible problems that may
> arise if I try to add this smaller HD to my PC. Thanks in advance.
> Paul

Message: 10
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 13:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.

I am souping up an old Packard Bell computer and I
have just installed a graphics card. The drivers are
installed but I get the following message when I click
on it in the Device Manager:

     "This display adaptor is functioning correctly.
      (Code 23.)

     The problem is with the main display adaptor. Fix

     the main display adaptor, and then this display
     adaptor will work."

Thanks for nothing. When I click on Resources, I get
the following message:

     "This device isn't using any resources because it

     is not currently enabled or has a problem.

     If you want to assign resources manually for this

     device, click Set Configuration manually."

No thanks. Any ideas on how I could follow this up?

Thanks,

Steve
NH

Yahoo! Mail

Message: 11
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 13:52:51 -0700
   From: Ken Hollingsworth <kenholl@xxxxxxxxx>

If you have an empty PCI slot, get you a Promise IDE controller card.
It will allow you to add 4 IDE devices. When you get it, don't forget the
stupid "Y" thingys for the PS, and extra Ribbons or Ropes like I did.
Ken Hollingsworth

 On 5/8/05, Dennis Jenkins <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My DVD writer needs almost 5 gigs of free space on the drive. I have
> several small drives like that and I wish I could think of a way to use
> them
> in modern systems.
>
> Dennis Jenkins

Message: 12
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 17:37:01 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Graphics card problem on Windows 98 system.

I have no idea of what is actually happening here but some newer AGP cards
will NOT function in older computers.  Been there done that.

The AGP spec is all hosed up.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

> I am souping up an old Packard Bell computer and I
> have just installed a graphics card. The drivers are
> installed but I get the following message when I click
> on it in the Device Manager:
>
>      "This display adaptor is functioning correctly.
>       (Code 23.)
>
>      The problem is with the main display adaptor. Fix
>
>      the main display adaptor, and then this display
>      adaptor will work."
>
> Thanks for nothing. When I click on Resources, I get
> the following message:
>
>      "This device isn't using any resources because it
>
>      is not currently enabled or has a problem.
>
>      If you want to assign resources manually for this
>
>      device, click Set Configuration manually."
>
> No thanks. Any ideas on how I could follow this up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
> NH

Message: 13
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 15:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Steve Eisenberg <chobersdeert@xxxxxxxxx>

--- Dennis Jenkins <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have no idea of what is actually happening here
> but some newer AGP cards
> will NOT function in older computers.  Been there
> done that.
>
> The AGP spec is all hosed up.<G>
>
> Dennis Jenkins
>
>-------------------------------
Thanks, Dennis. It's a 1999 card in a 1997 computer,
so maybe that's the problem.

Steve
NH

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/online.html

Message: 14
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 23:12:47 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>

I plan on using the small HD ONLY for the O/S Everything else will go
on the 40GB HD. As for restore points, the only way I restore XP is
by wiping it clean and re-installing. That is why I want to place it
on the HD by itself so I can wipe that disk clean without the fear of
losing any of my data or any other programs.

However, I now realize that I have another problem, namely that of
trying to install XP on different hardware from the original. I can
fully understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of their software,
but certainly there is some provision for installing on a different
HD if the first one crashes?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:

> XP on a 2.1GB drive? I wouldn't do it. I think it's too small. XP
requires a minimum of 1.5GB disk space. That leaves you only 600 MB
to play with it. You need about 20% FREE DISK SPACE before your
system starts slowing down or freezing. That leaves you about 200 MB
to play with. What about your RESTORE POINTS and your programs, your
emails and personal files? Anyone here using XP with only that much
diskspace and happy with its performance? I also would like to point
you to this article. It talks about the speed of the drive and other
minimum system requirements for XP:

> Windows XP: system requirements
> http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,10000653,00.htm
>
> Also make sure that the old drive you want to use have an XP driver
or at least a Win2000 driver that you can use. You can't install
Windows XP if your motherboard contains the HighPoint Technologies
HPT-366 chipset (Highpoint's tech-support personnel confirm this) --
XP just doesn't have the drivers to support the chipset. To get XP to
work on that hardware, you can download and use Windows 2000 drivers
for the chipset or contact HighPoint Technologies' help desk and ask
for XP-specific drivers, which you must load early in the XP setup
process.

> Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxx> wrote:My Pentium PC is sitting on the
floor gathering dust. I would like to remove the  Seagate 2.1 GB HD
and install it in my current PC.
> It's not an issue of needing more storage, as the Maxtor 40 GB HD
still has about 95% available after 3 years in use, but I would like
to use the second drive strictly for the XP O/S and put everything
else on the current larger drive.

> Hopefully, this would make it easy to re-install XP when that
becomes necessary, without disturbing my data files and all the other
applications which would be on the Maxtor HD. This should also allow
me to check the files on the Seagate drive, and copy them to the
larger drive if I find any that I would like to keep. I believe XP
can read the older files in FAT32 format, and I would then create an
NTFS partition on the smaller drive using all available space.

Message: 15
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 23:36:19 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>

Mike, To quote Humphrey Bogart from "The Treasure of the Sierra
Madre" :- Patches? We don't need no stinkin patches! I use XP SP1 and
it runs just fine on my AthlonXP with 512 MB RAM. For many years, I
couldn't even get close to the MS website as I was using Netscape
from day ONE. I only recently switched to IE when NS spoiled a good
thing by trying to fix something that wasn't broken! Also, there are
too many other websites that do not work well or at all with
Netscape. If you can't fight them, you just have to join them.  Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <mikebike@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> a 2.1 gig hard drive is too small to install Windows XP and it's
patches on to.

> Mike ~ one of the Moderators
> It is a good day if I learned something new.
> Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
>
> ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
>
> On 5/8/2005 at 3:54 PM Paul Ross wrote:
>
> My Pentium PC is sitting on the floor gathering dust. I would like
> remove the  Seagate 2.1 GB HD and install it in my current PC.
> It's not an issue of needing more storage, as the Maxtor 40 GB HD
> still
> has about 95% available after 3 years in use, but I would
>  like to use the second drive strictly for the XP O/S and put
> everything else on the current larger drive.
>
> Hopefully, this would make it easy to re-install XP when that
becomes
> necessary, without disturbing my data files and all the other
> applications which would be on the Maxtor HD. This should also allow
> me
> to check the files on the Seagate drive, and copy them to the
larger
> drive if I find any that I would like to keep. I believe XP can
read
> the older files in FAT32 format, and I would then create an NTFS
> partition on the smaller drive using all available space.
>
> Please let me know if you are aware of any possible problems that
may
> arise if I try to add this smaller HD to my PC. Thanks in advance.
> Paul

Message: 16
   Date: Sun, 08 May 2005 16:48:24 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Adding a Second Hard Disk

Hi Paul,
Do you remember what happened to Bogart in that movie.

That is what will happen to your computer<G>

You will not be able to update/ get security patches for XP soon if you
don't have XPSP2 if Microsoft follows through with their plans.

I started with XP on a 3 gig partition, and the patches came out I kept
patching.
My C drive is now 10 gig with 1.2 free space.

Mike the mod
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

On 5/8/2005 at 11:36 PM Paul Ross wrote:

Mike, To quote Humphrey Bogart from "The Treasure of the Sierra
Madre" :- Patches? We don't need no stinkin patches! I use XP SP1 and
it runs just fine on my AthlonXP with 512 MB RAM. For many years, I
couldn't even get close to the MS website as I was using Netscape
from day ONE. I only recently switched to IE when NS spoiled a good
thing by trying to fix something that wasn't broken! Also, there are
too many other websites that do not work well or at all with
Netscape. If you can't fight them, you just have to join them.  Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Message: 17
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 17:19:21 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Are you saying the first drive has already an XP installation and now you
want to add a slave drive to install THE SAME XP using the same
installation CD?

Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:I plan on using the small HD ONLY for
the O/S Everything else will go on the 40GB HD. As for restore points, the
only way I restore XP is by wiping it clean and re-installing. That is why
I want to place it on the HD by itself so I can wipe that disk clean
without the fear of losing any of my data or any other programs.

However, I now realize that I have another problem, namely that of trying
to install XP on different hardware from the original. I can fully
understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of their software, but certainly
there is some provision for installing on a different HD if the first one
crashes?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Message: 18
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 18:49:56 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

You're a better man than I, Sean.  No matter how I
address it, http://www.google.com, http://google.com
or even http://google.de, I always get an error
message saying the connection has timed out.

I am using Firefox with Mail.yahoo.com as my homepage.

Could this be Yahoo's doing?

Estavi

--- Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Google and some other sites can detect the language
> settings of a browser and automatically serve
> content in the preferred language.
> My suggestion, go here:
> http://www.google.com/language_tools
> http://www.google.com/preferences?hl=3Den
>
> The details on changing language preference are
> often company-confidential.
>
> Here is something interesting. Some Googlers noticed
> that going to http://google.com does *not* result in
> a redirect. What's more, language negotiation works
> too! It seems we can form a semi-official conclusion
> here:
> Only http://www.google.com is broken.
> http://google.com seems to work fine.

Message: 19
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 19:03:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Don't forget, Paul, even if your programs are on
another disk, when you do a fresh XP install, you
STILL have to re-install all the programs..even if the
programs themselves are preserved on another disk.
It's a registry type thing.

Estavi

--- Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I plan on using the small HD ONLY for the O/S
> Everything else will go
> on the 40GB HD. As for restore points, the only way
> I restore XP is
> by wiping it clean and re-installing. That is why I
> want to place it
> on the HD by itself so I can wipe that disk clean
> without the fear of
> losing any of my data or any other programs.
>
> However, I now realize that I have another problem,
> namely that of
> trying to install XP on different hardware from the
> original. I can
> fully understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of
> their software,
> but certainly there is some provision for installing
> on a different
> HD if the first one crashes?

Message: 20
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 19:24:28 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

This is obviously a compatibility problem. Are you using Win98?
I think for testing purposes, what you can do is borrow someone else's
video card and use it on your system. See if the same problem persists. Or
perhaps try an older driver for the video card that might be more in sync
that the one you are using now.
You might be using a video card that is using a technology that was created
way after your PC was made.

See:
Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/d&shy;efault.aspx?scid=3DKB;EN-US;q125&shy;174=

OR
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q125/1/74.ASP?LN=3DEN-US&SD=
=3Dgn&FR=3D0
Start up in safe mode, go to display properties > settings tab > advanced >
video and change your adapter to standard VGA. Then go to device manager
and remove all instances of any display adapters, reboot and let windows
redetect your card. Cold reboot and let Windows redetect the adapter and
request for the driver. Point to the correct location of the driver and
proceed.

Are you using VMWareTools? If you are, uninstall it and reboot and
reinstall it again.
http://www.vmware.com/support/ws2/doc/guest_win_code23_ts_ws_win.html

Check with video card maker's site for the correct drivers and install them
according to the
manufacturer's directions.

[...]

Message: 21
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 02:46:26 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>

That's exactly what I am saying, except that I will wipe both drives
clean and only put XP on the added smaller HD. Since that HD will be
my boot disc, I presume it will be the master and the 40 GB HD will
be the slave. Not positive about that but I'll find out soon enough.
I realize that I will no doubt have a problem with the install as MS
will think I am installing to a second PC, however, there is surely
some way to do this as this is my legal copy of XP which I will be
using on ONLY one PC!

<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Are you saying the first drive has already an XP installation and
now you want to add a slave drive to install THE SAME XP using the
same installation CD?

> Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxx> wrote:I plan on using the small HD ONLY
for the O/S Everything else will go on the 40GB HD. As for restore
points, the only way I restore XP is by wiping it clean and re-
installing. That is why I want to place it on the HD by itself so I
can wipe that disk clean without the fear of losing any of my data or
any other programs.

> However, I now realize that I have another problem, namely that of
trying to install XP on different hardware from the original. I can
fully understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of their software,
but certainly there is some provision for installing on a different
HD if the first one crashes?

Message: 22
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 03:00:10 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>

Estavi, Re-installing my programs from their CD's is no problem.
Until my recent purchase of a CD burner, the possible loss of my data
files was always a large concern, along with the many downloaded
Apps. that would take many hours to download anew on my dial-up
connection. Some of those Apps are no longer available so they would
be lost forever. Of course, those too are being backed up onto CD's.
Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Estavi Meilu
<estavi2@xxxx> wrote:
> Don't forget, Paul, even if your programs are on
> another disk, when you do a fresh XP install, you
> STILL have to re-install all the programs..even if the
> programs themselves are preserved on another disk.
> It's a registry type thing.
>
> Estavi

Message: 23
   Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 00:00:02 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

A 2.1GB harddrive is NOT big enough, even for just the OS.  Plus, that
drive has an interface significantly slower than the one you're using
now.  Install it as a slave to use for Linux or something to experiment
with but it is not suitable for XP.

Tom

Paul Ross wrote:
> I plan on using the small HD ONLY for the O/S Everything else will go
> on the 40GB HD. As for restore points, the only way I restore XP is
> by wiping it clean and re-installing. That is why I want to place it
> on the HD by itself so I can wipe that disk clean without the fear of
> losing any of my data or any other programs.
>
> However, I now realize that I have another problem, namely that of
> trying to install XP on different hardware from the original. I can
> fully understand that MS wants to prevent piracy of their software,
> but certainly there is some provision for installing on a different
> HD if the first one crashes?
>=
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Message: 24
   Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 00:14:27 -0500
   From: "Dennis Jenkins" <maillist_1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

It's only bit me once but it was in a similar situation.   There's multiple
incompatible versions of the AGP spec.  I find it all very confusing.  Good
luck.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

> > I have no idea of what is actually happening here
> > but some newer AGP cards
> > will NOT function in older computers.  Been there
> > done that.
> >
> > The AGP spec is all hosed up.<G>
> >
> > Dennis Jenkins
> >
> >-------------------------------
> Thanks, Dennis. It's a 1999 card in a 1997 computer,
> so maybe that's the problem.
>
> Steve
> NH

Message: 25
   Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 22:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>

Let me get this right: you are timing out whenever you want to access
Google using Firefox? Or are you using IE?

If you are using Firefox, have you tried this:
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~ryross/

Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You're a better man than I, Sean. No matter how I address it,
http://www.google.com , http://google.com or even http://google.de I always
get an error message saying the connection has timed out.

I am using Firefox with Mail.yahoo.com as my homepage.

Could this be Yahoo's doing?

Estavi

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/