[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1371

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 07:45:08 -0700

mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Format Problem - SOLVED!
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Windows\System32 Programs question
           From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Format Problem
           From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Re: Re: Format Problem
           From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
      5. Re: Windows\System32 Programs question
           From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 16:22:57 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Format Problem - SOLVED!

I just swapped out the FDD, and everything is now okay. As the
problem began shortly after I was inside the case, my first thought
was that I had disturbed one of the cables. There is no such thing as
a RAW file system, that is what XP reports when it can't find the FAT
table on the floppy, which it wasn't able to do because it couldn't
read the floppy.  Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Did you remove then reinstall the driver for the FD? Is your BIOS
recognizing it?
> Try unplugging and then plugging back the ribbon cable that
connects the FD to the mobo.

> Paul Ross <przxto99@xxxx> wrote:
>
> I was able to get rid of the unwanted partitions using the delete
function in XP setup, so now have only one large drive - C: and my CD
is D: again, instead of E: However, the floppy drive is still not
able to read any discs. It did work for a while after I installed the
new CD burner in place of old CDROM. I checked all the connections
and they look okay so perhaps my only option is to replace the drive.
> Device manager reports that this drive is functioning properly, so
I'm at a loss to figure out what caused this problem.

> Would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next. Thanks in
advance.

> Paul
>=
 =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> --- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ross"
> <przxto99@xxxx> wrote: After my PC was badly infected by malware, I
reinstalled WINXP as I have done several times in the past. First I
booted from a WIN98 system floppy and used FDISK to remove drive C:
leaving only drive S: which held all my data files. When the install
was complete, device manager told me that I had made an error.

> I now had drive C: described as the System drive, and drive E:
described as the Boot drive. In addition, my data files were now on
drive C: as drive S: no longer existed. I wasn't able to rename these
drives, so I re booted and began the whole procedure anew. After
several more insuccessful installs, I replaced my CDROM with a CD
burner, backed up my data files, and downloaded several freeware
utilities that would allow me to wipe my hard disk clean. Some of
these utilities had to be extracted to a floppy, and thats when I
found that my floppy drive was no longer recognizing disks. WIN
EXPLORER is unable to view the contents of drive: A and reports that
the disk is not formatted, but is unable to format the disc. When I
run CMD and do a dir a: the following is displayed: disk media is not
responding, it may need to be formatted. but attempts to format bring
the following msg: The type of the file system is RAW, new file
system is FAT Invalid media or track 0 is bad, disk is unusable.
>  I've got dozens of floppies -some with data, and some blank. I
know they are not all bad.

> Would appreciate all suggestions on how to get my floppy drive to
recognize the disks, and also any suggestions for some good utilities
to wipe the hard disk clean.

> Thanks in advance for helping with this really big headache! Paul

Message: 2
   Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 00:47:45 -0500
   From: AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Windows\System32 Programs question

I'm setting up a new system.  It's running WinXP HE.  I'm configuring
ZoneAlarm.  ZA has asked about two programs that I can't ID referring to
them as (1) "Application Layer Gateway Service" and (2) "Generic Host
Process for Win32 Services."  ZA says in Entry Detail that both  Product
Names are Microsoft Windows Operating System and each one's File Name is
C:\\Windows\System32\ only #1 ends with <alg.exe> and #2 ends with
<svchost.exe>.  Please, how/where can I find out what these programs are
and do?

    Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
       <alohabev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 00:20:38 -0600
   From: Steve Tabler <stevetabler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Format Problem

The obvious answer is that your floppy drive has gone bad.  Sometimes, I've=

had problems with a drive (sometimes floppy, sometimes another) if I've
been inside the computer and bumped a ribbon cable and cause a bad
connection.

I think in your case, it could be something else:  Sometimes when you boot
from the CD-ROM drive, like when installing Windows 98, The install CD will=

think IT is on drive A, therefore your floppy won't work.  Have you tried
to reboot from your Windows 98 floppy?  If that doesn't work, then you may
have a drive problem.  You might also recheck your bios settings,
especially boot order settings and any settings that control your floppy
drive.

Once you have your floppy working, and since you have saved your data files=

to a cd, that the easiest way to wipe your hard drive, although this isn't
really wiping, is to run the FDISK that should be on your Windows 98
floppy, and remove all the partitions you can find.  Some of them may be
labelled non-dos partitions.  Once you have this, your problems with
re-installing Windows XP should be minimized.

Steve

At 07:22 AM 5/4/2005 +0000, you wrote:
>After my PC was badly infected by malware, I reinstalled WINXP  as I
>have done several times in the past. First I booted from a WIN98
>system floppy and used FDISK to remove drive C: leaving only drive S:
>which
>held all my data files. When the install was complete, device manager
>told
>me that I had made an error.
>
>I now had drive C: described as the System drive,  and drive E:
>described as
>the Boot drive. In addition, my data files were now  on drive C: as
>drive S:
>no longer existed. I wasn't able to rename these drives,  so I re
>booted
>and began the whole procedure anew. After several more  insuccessful
>installs,
>I replaced my CDROM with a CD burner, backed up my  data files, and
>downloaded
>several freeware  utilities that would allow me  to wipe my hard disk
>clean.
>Some of these utilities had to be  extracted to a floppy, and thats
>when I found
>that my floppy drive was no longer recognizing disks.  WIN EXPLORER
>is unable to
>view the contents of drive: A and reports that the disk is not
>formatted, but
>is unable to format the disc. When I run CMD and do a dir a: the
>following is displayed: disk media is not responding, it may need to
>be formatted. but  attempts  to format bring the following msg: The
>type of the file system is RAW,  new file system is FAT Invalid media
>or track 0 is bad, disk is unusable. I've  got dozens of floppies -
>some with data, and some blank. I know they are not all bad.
>
>Would appreciate all suggestions on how to get my floppy drive to
>recognize the disks,  and also any suggestions for some good
>utilities to wipe the hard disk clean.
>
>Thanks in advance for helping with this really big headache! Paul

Message: 4
   Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 19:02:48 +0200
   From: vercor@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Re: Format Problem

On Wed, 04 May 2005 17:41:21 -0000
"Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I was able to get rid of the unwanted partitions using the delete
> function in XP setup, so now have only one large drive - C: and my CD
> is D: again, instead of E: However, the floppy drive is still not
> able to read any discs. It did work for a while after I installed the
> new CD burner in place of old CDROM. I checked all the connections
> and they look okay so perhaps my only option is to replace the drive.
> Device manager reports that this drive is functioning properly, so
> I'm at a loss to figure out what caused this problem.

Have you tried another floppy drive on that same cable?

Love,
Misty
A rock --> me <-- A hard place
http://www.carecentre.org.za

Message: 5
   Date: Sat, 07 May 2005 10:57:40 -0000
   From: "Rich S" <heavy_60538@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Windows\System32 Programs question

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, AlohaBev <alohabev@xxxx>
wrote:
> I'm setting up a new system.  It's running WinXP HE.  I'm
configuring
> ZoneAlarm.  ZA has asked about two programs that I can't ID
referring to
> them as (1) "Application Layer Gateway Service" and (2) "Generic
Host
> Process for Win32 Services."  ZA says in Entry Detail that both
Product
> Names are Microsoft Windows Operating System and each one's File
Name is
> C:\\Windows\System32\ only #1 ends with <alg.exe> and #2 ends with
> <svchost.exe>.  Please, how/where can I find out what these
programs are
> and do?
>

>     Aloha, Bev in Alabama, USA :)
>        <alohabev@xxxx>

Info can be found by searching Google.

alg.exe >>>>See following page:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=3Den&q=3Dalg.exe&btnG=3DGoogle+Search

svchost.exe >>>>See following page:
http://www.google.com/search?
hl=3Den&lr=3D&newwindow=3D1&safe=3Doff&c2coff=3D1&q=3Dsvchost.exe&btnG=3DSea=
rch
OR
http://makeashorterlink.com/?C5812390B
It's not unusual to have multiple listings for this process.I have 5
listed.Each with different dependencys.If you would like to know what
each does,then you need a program like Process Explorer(free) from
Sysinternals.Can be found at:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

Rich S

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DMODERATOR RULE: Delete everything below & including this=
 line when
responding to any group email.=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch