[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1370

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 08:16:00 -0700

There are 5 messages in this issue.

Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Unable to see the System Tray item's boxes.
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: mozilla Thunderbird
           From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. Re: Unable to see the System Tray item's boxes.
           From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. Al Gore being recognized for Internet Achievements
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
      5. Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 06:27:30 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Unable to see the System Tray item's boxes.

Refer to this MSKB article:
ToolTips and Messages from the Status Area of the Taskbar May Remain
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;307499
This is a known bug.  Does it happen CONSTANTLY?  It happens to me a once
in a great while, but a reboot usually gets rid of the behavior.  By the
way, Balloon Tips and Tool Tips are two different things.  Balloon Tips
look like comic strip captions and pop up as a result of an action, and
Tool Tips are rectangular, and show when you move your mouse arrow over
something (like an item on your taskbar).  I'm assuming that you're
referring to Tool Tips. Many thought that a fix for this bug would be
included in SP1, but alas, it wasn't.

Whenever this behavior starts, right-click on the Taskbar, click
Properties, deselect
"Keep task bar on top of other windows," click "Apply," immediately
re-select "Keep Taskbar on top of other windows," and click OK. The tool
tips will then show up where they belong until whatever event initiates
this problem behavior recurs. This is a real PITA (pain in the ***), I
know, but it's better than having to do without the Tool Tips when you have
a lot of icons in the Taskbar, and can't remember which is the one you
want.

BOBBY <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:When I hover my mouse pointer on a
System Tray item the box with the identification description is just barely
visible above the System Tray bar.  It does not come up high enough to read
the writing.  How do I correct this?  Thanks.
Bobby

Win XP SP2  OE6  IE6  2.0 Processor  Protected by NAV

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DMODERATOR RULE: Delete everything below & including this=
 line when
responding to any group email.=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 2
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 11:09:49 -0400
   From: "T. Hunt" <ilrover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mozilla Thunderbird

You can set T-bird to retrieve headers only, then delete as you want,
setting it to delete from server when deleted from T-bird.

Tom

Gordon Stewart wrote:
> Hi there - Is there a way of Mozilla Thunderbird to DELETE messages
> from the server - BEFORE downloading the remaining ones (based on
> filters)...
>
> Or not (I heard some email programmes can delete  from the server) -
> retrieve headers & then determine ?? )

Message: 3
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 17:28:01 -0000
   From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Seantific
<spunkovision@xxxx> wrote:
> Refer to this MSKB article:
> ToolTips and Messages from the Status Area of the Taskbar May Remain
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=3Dkb;en-us;307499
> This is a known bug.  Does it happen CONSTANTLY?  It happens to me
a once in a great while, but a reboot usually gets rid of the
behavior.  By the way, Balloon Tips and Tool Tips are two different
things.  Balloon Tips look like comic strip captions and pop up as a
result of an action, and Tool Tips are rectangular, and show when you
move your mouse arrow over something (like an item on your taskbar).
I'm assuming that you're referring to Tool Tips. Many thought that a
fix for this bug would be included in SP1, but alas, it wasn't.

> Whenever this behavior starts, right-click on the Taskbar, click
Properties, deselect
> "Keep task bar on top of other windows," click "Apply," immediately
re-select "Keep Taskbar on top of other windows," and click OK. The
tool tips will then show up where they belong until whatever event
initiates this problem behavior recurs. This is a real PITA (pain in
the ***), I know, but it's better than having to do without the Tool
Tips when you have a lot of icons in the Taskbar, and can't remember
which is the one you want.
> XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Reply Separator XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
>
> Thanks Spunko.  This is as you said an inconsistant, intermittant
problem.  When I rebooted it did return to its normal viewing area.
Tool tips was what I was talking about.

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 21:30:07 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Al Gore being recognized for Internet Achievements

Gore to receive Internet lifetime achievement award
Vint Cerf to present =91Webby=92 for three decades of contributions

Hey, Maybe He Was Right After All: Al Gore receives a Lifetime Internet
Achievement Webby <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7746308/> for his
contributions to the development of the internet.
Remember how people made fun of Al Gore because people misquoted him by
attributing this quote to him that says something like this: I invented the
internet. Even Snopes.com will tell you that is NOT true. Don't wanna
believe me? Take a look here:
http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
What Gore said in a CNN interview was he "took the initiative in creating
the Internet," which was so much different than "I invented the internet"
making Gore the subject of ridicule, by his political foes and even such
broadcast people like the digital goddess (ugh) Kim Komando.

MSNBC News (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7746308/) reports:

Al Gore was only 21 when the Internet was born out of a Pentagon project.
He may have been the butt of jokes for taking credit in the Internet's
development, but organizers of the Webby Awards for online achievements
don't find it funny at all.
Partially to "set the record straight," the Webby Awards will give Gore a
lifetime achievement award for three decades of contributions to the
Internet.
"It's just one of those instances someone did amazing work for three
decades as congressman, senator and vice president and it got spun around
into this political mess," Tiffany Shlain, the awards' founder and
chairwoman. said.
Vint Cerf, undisputedly one of the Internet's key inventors, will give Gore
the award at a June 6 ceremony in New York.
"He is indeed due some thanks and consideration for his early
contributions," Cerf said.

Why are they giving him this award? After joining Congress 8 years later,
he promoted high-speed telecommunications for economic growth and supported
funding increases for the then-fledging network, according to the
International Academy of Digital Arts and Sciences, which presents the
annual awards. He popularized the term "information superhighway" as vice
president.

Message: 5
   Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 03:54:44 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash

This news item is way too funny. How many among you will actually trust
their life and their family's on cars that Ford will build and that
Microsoft will provide software for to make them NOT CRASH? Milliseconds
before impact, the entire windshields and all the windows go blue.

A reaction from someone to the news item below:
Software causing a car crash would lead to the first real court test of
EULA disclaimers. Microsoft may be able to disclaim liability for someone's
ruined spreadsheet, but if a Microsoft-powered car crashes and kills
someone, there's enough money at stake to sue and I doubt the court will be
impressed with what is written on page 87 of a EULA that the driver
supposedly agreed to by turning the ignition key.

And now....<drum roll please> ...THE JOKE OF THE DAY (this is a real news
item though):

I Must =85 Resist =85Windshield=85 of death=85. jokes.

Microsoft to help build cars that can=92t crash
From: http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=3D05/05/03/1735254

"Microsoft is working with Ford Motor Co towards car that can't crash
(http://www.livescience.com/technology/ap_050502_gates_cars.html ). The
future of cars
(http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2005-05-01-microsoft-cars_x.htm )
according to Gates will involve high-definition screens, speech recognition
technology, cameras, digital calendars and navigation equipment with
directions and road conditions."

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch