[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1369

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 10:40:32 -0700

           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "journeyone" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
      9. 1 GB for Yahoo?
           From: "JoEllia" <joiesword@xxxxxxxxx>
     10. Re: 1 GB for Yahoo?
           From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
     11. Re: Re: Format Problem
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
     12. Re: Blocked IP
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
     13. Having problems playing games with pogo and yahoo
           From: "Sandy Hamrick" <sandy88hamrick@xxxxxxxxx>
     14. Re: Having problems playing games with pogo and yahoo
           From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>
     15. mozilla Thunderbird
           From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
     16. Unable to see the System Tray item's boxes.
           From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 06:37:41 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Mac Os X Security Updates

Mac Os X Security Updates

Security Update 2005-005 (Client)
Security Update 2005-005 delivers a number of security enhancements
and is recommended for all Macintosh users. This update includes the
following components:

Apache
AppKit
AppleScript
Bluetooth
Finder
Foundation
Help Viewer
lukemftpd
sudo
Terminal
VPN
X11

Download:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005005client.html

Security Update 2005-005 (Server)
This update includes the following components:

Apache
AppKit
AppleScript
Bluetooth
Directory Services
Finder
Foundation
Help Viewer
LDAP
lukemftpd
NetInfo
Server Admin
sudo
Terminal
VPN
X11

Download:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/securityupdate2005005server.html

More Info:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=3D301528

Message: 2
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 06:40:39 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Tiger Bugs Break Networking Software

Tiger Bugs Break Networking Software

Some enterprise networking software developers have discovered that
their products are not compatible with Apple Computer Inc.'s new
"Tiger" operating system and are recommending that their customers
hold off on upgrading to Tiger, Ziff Davis Internet News has learned.

While most developers point to dramatic changes in Tiger's kernel as
the reason, several claim that part of the problem is one or more bugs in
the kernel of Mac OS X 10.4, bugs that they say Apple has
acknowledged and has promised to repair.

Apple declined to comment.

Incompatibilities with Tiger exist for a large variety of network
software, including VPN clients from a variety of vendors, file
sharing and Active Directory integration products from Thursby
Software Systems Inc. and others, and network encryption software,
including PGP Desktop from PGP Corp.

Full Article:

Message: 3
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 06:47:06 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: YaGoohoogle

Yeah. I think I posted about it a while back. I also have a Search thread
in savemybutt.com in the Links Forum, if I remember right. I listed some of
my favorite Search engines there. It's a long list. By the way, I am
seriously considering having an alternate Computer HELP venue similar to
SaveMyButt. If you are experienced in creating such a forum, email me
privately. I want to set one up. That does not mean we will abandon this
group. We won't close it for people who like this medium. However, we can
archive the best of postings here and in SMB using the FORUM style better
since we can add, modify, move or merge postings.

Sle <hugomom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Have you guys seen this already?

http://www.yagoohoogle.com/

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DMODERATOR RULE: Delete everything below & including this=
 line when
responding to any group email.=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 4
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 07:06:42 -0700 (PDT)
   From: K-lang <cade00000@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Win XP Wi-Fi Security Update: WPA2

Win XP Wi-Fi Security Update

This update to Windows XP provides support for Wi-Fi Protected Access2
(WPA2), which is the latest standards-based wireless security solution
derived from the IEEE 802.11i standard. It also contains Wireless
Provisioning Services (WPS) Information Element support, which enables
improvements in wireless network discoverability.

Download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D662bb74d-e7c1-48d=
6-95ee-1459234f4483&displaylang=3Den

Message: 5
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 07:17:18 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Blocked IP

The site that you are wanting to download from is probably blocking your IP
address or a block of IPs which includes yours. Have you tried using
DodgeIt.com?
No need to set up an account and no need for a password. When giving out an
dodgeit email address, which is a throwable email address, use a long long
name such as:
mynameisestavimeilu@xxxxxxxxxxx
The goal here is making it hard for anyone else to come up with that same
name or address. As soon as you get verification from the site which
requires verification, just forget about the email address or you can reuse
again later when registering for another site.

Dodgeit.com - useful when you don't want to use your regular email address
and risk getting spammed to death.

Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What has happened and what do I need to do?

In order to d/l a trial copy of a program, I had to
give them one of my other email addresses in order to
be emailed a d/l address.

When I entered my yahoo address, an error message came
up  that said only "Your IP is blocked".

What does this mean or who is blocking it?  Obviously
I am not blocked by Yahoo (I am still getting spam
there).  Or is it the site I tried to send the  email
address (******@yahoo.com) to?

Is this one of those "blacklisted" things?

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3DMODERATOR RULE: Delete everything below & including this=
 line when
responding to any group email.=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 6
   Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 07:22:36 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Format Problem

After my PC was badly infected by malware, I reinstalled WINXP  as I
 have done several times in the past. First I booted from a WIN98
system floppy and used FDISK to remove drive C: leaving only drive S:
which
held all my data files. When the install was complete, device manager
told
 me that I had made an error.

 I now had drive C: described as the System drive,  and drive E:
described as
the Boot drive. In addition, my data files were now  on drive C: as
drive S:
 no longer existed. I wasn't able to rename these drives,  so I re
booted
and began the whole procedure anew. After several more  insuccessful
installs,
I replaced my CDROM with a CD burner, backed up my  data files, and
downloaded
several freeware  utilities that would allow me  to wipe my hard disk
clean.
Some of these utilities had to be  extracted to a floppy, and thats
when I found
that my floppy drive was no longer recognizing disks.  WIN EXPLORER
is unable to
view the contents of drive: A and reports that the disk is not
formatted, but
is unable to format the disc. When I run CMD and do a dir a: the
following is displayed: disk media is not responding, it may need to
be formatted. but  attempts  to format bring the following msg: The
type of the file system is RAW,  new file system is FAT Invalid media
or track 0 is bad, disk is unusable. I've  got dozens of floppies -
some with data, and some blank. I know they are not all bad.

Would appreciate all suggestions on how to get my floppy drive to
recognize the disks,  and also any suggestions for some good
utilities to wipe the hard disk clean.

Thanks in advance for helping with this really big headache! Paul

Message: 7
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 09:47:48 -0400
   From: "journeyone" <journeyone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Chessmaster Mahjoong Pacman and more

Hi ,
    My husband passed away 7 yrs ago...a year or so later is when I first
sat down to his puter and haven't gotten up since...!!! but I had hated the
puter while he was alive because he was a computer programmer with AT&T for
47 yrs...and it took up all  his time....this wife was just jealous of the
darn thing...
    He tried to interest me in leaning by making me puzzles out of our
pictures,,..buying Chess Master and since I was a 16 hundred player at the
local chess club...he hoped that would interest me and it
did,...somewhat...also mahjoong I liked ...and even silly pacman for the
kids...
    Now my reason for writing you today....
    I have just found a box full of floppy disks...all labeled with these
familiar things I've not seen in at least 5 yrs......
    I tried to open them in my windows xp...forget it ...not one would
open...
   Two caused my puter screen to go black and escape key didn't work ...had
to do a... Control, Alt, Delete and be shut down to get out of them...
    Is there any way to open these old Disks or are they lost and will I
find the same problem with all the floppy's I'm using now if and when I
upgrade this XP...Dell...
    Very discouraging....I am ready to forget the computer altogether...It
seems they keep forcing us to  buy what we don't need by purposely making
the things we're used to obsolete..I for one will not buy them over
again...just do with out ...
                            Hugs Always   Viv...

My Pages
http://community.webshots.com/user/journey144
http://www.geocities.com/vivian_mcgraw/index.html
http://www.roadandtravel.com/adventuretravel/rvingforwomen.htm
Scroll down to...'Beyond the call of duty' ......for this little story
about me....

.

Message: 8
   Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:41:21 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Format Problem

I was able to get rid of the unwanted partitions using the delete
function in XP setup, so now have only one large drive - C: and my CD
is D: again, instead of E: However, the floppy drive is still not
able to read any discs. It did work for a while after I installed the
new CD burner in place of old CDROM. I checked all the connections
and they look okay so perhaps my only option is to replace the drive.
Device manager reports that this drive is functioning properly, so
I'm at a loss to figure out what caused this problem.

Would appreciate any suggestions on where to look next. Thanks in
advance. Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul Ross"
<przxto99@xxxx> wrote:
> After my PC was badly infected by malware, I reinstalled WINXP  as I
>  have done several times in the past. First I booted from a WIN98
> system floppy and used FDISK to remove drive C: leaving only drive
S:
> which
> held all my data files. When the install was complete, device
manager
> told
>  me that I had made an error.
>
>  I now had drive C: described as the System drive,  and drive E:
> described as
> the Boot drive. In addition, my data files were now  on drive C: as
> drive S:
>  no longer existed. I wasn't able to rename these drives,  so I re
> booted
> and began the whole procedure anew. After several more
insuccessful
> installs,
> I replaced my CDROM with a CD burner, backed up my  data files, and
> downloaded
> several freeware  utilities that would allow me  to wipe my hard
disk
> clean.
> Some of these utilities had to be  extracted to a floppy, and thats
> when I found
> that my floppy drive was no longer recognizing disks.  WIN EXPLORER
> is unable to
> view the contents of drive: A and reports that the disk is not
> formatted, but
> is unable to format the disc. When I run CMD and do a dir a: the
> following is displayed: disk media is not responding, it may need
> be formatted. but  attempts  to format bring the following msg: The
> type of the file system is RAW,  new file system is FAT Invalid
media
> or track 0 is bad, disk is unusable. I've  got dozens of floppies -
> some with data, and some blank. I know they are not all bad.
>
> Would appreciate all suggestions on how to get my floppy drive to
> recognize the disks,  and also any suggestions for some good
> utilities to wipe the hard disk clean.
>
> Thanks in advance for helping with this really big headache! Paul

Message: 9
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 01:04:53 -0000
   From: "JoEllia" <joiesword@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 1 GB for Yahoo?

Did any one notice that Yahoo is now at 1 GB of space?
I just noticed it tonite.

Message: 10
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 18:31:32 -0700 (PDT)
   From: John Lehn <johnelehn2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1 GB for Yahoo?

Hi,

And Yahoo Plus has a 2Gb storage limit.

John Lehn
--- JoEllia <joiesword@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did any one notice that Yahoo is now at 1 GB of
> space?
> I just noticed it tonite.

Message: 11
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 19:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Format Problem

Did you remove then reinstall the driver for the FD? Is your BIOS
recognizing it?
Try unplugging and then plugging back the ribbon cable that connects the FD
to the mobo.

<przxto99@xxxx> wrote: After my PC was badly infected by malware, I
[...]

Message: 12
   Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 21:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>

Thanks, Sean.  Knew you would come thru !

Estavi

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Message: 13
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 04:52:55 -0000
   From: "Sandy Hamrick" <sandy88hamrick@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Having problems playing games with pogo and yahoo

I need some help.............i have to have java install and dont know
how to do it can someone help me??????????????

Message: 14
   Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 01:17:48 -0400 (EDT)
   From: MURRAY WHITE <phymur@xxxxxxxxxx>

http://www.java.com/en/

look to upper R corner for the orange DOWNLOAD button and proceed from
there.

MW

Sandy Hamrick <sandy88hamrick@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I need some help.............i have to have java install and dont know
how to do it can someone help me??????????????

Message: 15
   Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 18:34:56 +1200
   From: Gordon Stewart <gordonisnz@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: mozilla Thunderbird

Hi there - Is there a way of Mozilla Thunderbird to DELETE messages
from the server - BEFORE downloading the remaining ones (based on
filters)...

Or not (I heard some email programmes can delete  from the server) -
retrieve headers & then determine ?? )

--

G Stewart
Gmail : gmailinvites-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Message: 16
   Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 08:29:29 -0000
   From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Unable to see the System Tray item's boxes.

When I hover my mouse pointer on a System Tray item the box with the
identification description is just barely visible above the System Tray
bar.  It does not come up high enough to read the writing.  How do I
correct this?  Thanks.  Bobby

Win XP SP2  OE6  IE6  2.0 Processor  Protected by NAV

 see the Yahoo home page
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mycomputerheadaches/
See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch