[mchFree] [MCH] Digest Number 1367

  • From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 08:01:57 -0700

           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Doug" <doug696@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
           From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
     14. RE: Internal USB Port?
           From: "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker"
<CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 15:32:39 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Backing Up

Thanks for all your great replies. The USB port on my 3 year old PC
is USB1 I was told that it could be upgraded by adding a controller
card. Is that the best solution to this problem? Would the external
drive still work on my present port without the card, but perhaps
slower than if connected to a USB2 port?   Also, What should I look
for in my bios to determine that my motherboard supports USB boot
devices?

Thanks again. Paul
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--- In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Mike" <mikebike@xxxx>
wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I like the external USB2 external drives.
>
> Check your BIOS to be sure that your motherboard supports USB boot
devices.

> I have had good luck using Drive Image to clone and then save to
Hard drives, External USB drives, and burn to CD's and DVD's.

> Zip drives did have some problems in the past so I have stayed away
from them.

> Mike ~ one of the Moderators
> It is a good day if I learned something new.
> Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
>
> ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
>
> On 5/1/2005 at 12:32 PM Paul Ross wrote:
>
> Hi, Would like to buy an external backup device, and would
appreciate
> suggestions on which type to get. Please share your experiences with
> any of these devices. I.e. zip-drives, CD-RW's, or any other backup
> device you are using. My O/S is WINXP Thanks for your help. Paul

Message: 2
   Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 12:54:05 -0400
   From: "Doug" <doug696@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Video/DVD problem

I am unable to play video/DVD's on my laptop anymore. The picture is jerky
and choppy and the sound stutters. This happens with any kind of video
file. I was even thinking of reformatting my hardrive and starting anew but
don't want to mess up my routers and cable modems setting. Occurs using
Winamp, WMP, WinDVD. I imagine I don't have the best video card, its a
Trident Cyberblade or something to that effect can't remember exactly
offhand.  I have a PCMCIA adapter in one of my slots, it allows me to hook
up USB 2  devices to my computer, its accomodating a CD burner, and a USB
powered 80 gig external hard drive (I imagine that sucks alot of power, or
no?) I have unplugged that adapter thinking it was the problem, but it
still does it. As for my computer, its a Toshiba satellite laptop, WINXP,
SP1, 256 ram, 18 gig harddrive which is only half full. Might you all have
some suggestions for me, hope I included enough info for you. The  laptop
is two ys old too......Doug

Message: 3
   Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:14:58 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Thunderbird questions

Thunderbird supports saved-mail folders via the window on the left side of
each Thunderbird screen, allowing you to keep your mail sorted and
organized and your Inbox more manageable.

Thunderbird has two sets of saved mail folders: server-side (IMAP) folders
for email that is stored on the server, and local folders for email that is
stored solely on the hard disk.

Server-Side (IMAP) Folders
The folders that you see in the topmost portion of the lefthand window in
Thunderbird, listed under =93username@xxxxxxxxxxx, are the folders=
 containing
email stored solely on the Harvard email server.

Local Folders
The mailboxes that appear in the lower side of the Folders windows under
=93Local Folders=94 are stored locally on your personal computer. Mail=
 stored
in these folders is available only on your PC but can be kept there
permanently as needed.

To create a new folder:

   Right-click on either username@xxxxxxxxxxx (to create a new IMAP server
folder) or Local Folders (to create a new folder on your hard disk.)
   Choose New Folder=85.
   Enter the name of the new folder when prompted and press OK.

For Thorough Thunderbird tutorial
http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_thunderbird

Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I asked Seantific one of these questions in a private message on SMB, but
he hasn't gotten back to me on. I figure either he doesn't know, and,
hasn't found the answer, or, the question got lost somewhere. So I'll
repost it here with another.
In a previous release of Thunderbird I had before my system crash, I am
absolutely postive that there was a saved mailed folder. Yet in the latest
version, I don't see it. Is there such folder in the latest version? If so,
what do I do to get it to show? Can I create such a folder if there isn't
already such a folder in the newest version of Thunderbird.
Also in Thunderbird, there was a method, using either notepad, or, wordpad,
a signature to attach to your emails.
Does anyone remember what that method was? I've tried the signature
extension shown in Thunderbird, but it doesn't seem to work for me. Not
sure what I'm doing wrong.
Naturally I appreciate any, and, all help given.
Bill

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 4
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 09:32:13 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re[2]: Backing Up

Hi Paul,
I purchased and add on card for my 5 year old computer that gave me 4 USB2
ports.
it was around $25 from Tiger Direct.

If your current backup drive is an external one it may work faster on the
USB2 ports, depending on the specs.

Do a Google search on the drive to find a page of specifications

Do the same for your computer/motherboard to see if it has USB boot
capabilities

Mike the mod
******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********

wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I like the external USB2 external drives.
>
> Check your BIOS to be sure that your motherboard supports USB boot
devices.

> I have had good luck using Drive Image to clone and then save to
Hard drives, External USB drives, and burn to CD's and DVD's.

> Zip drives did have some problems in the past so I have stayed away
from them.

> Mike ~ one of the Moderators
> It is a good day if I learned something new.
> Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/

Message: 5
   Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 09:34:01 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Seantific <spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: Backing Up

Mike?
LOL

John82654@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 5/1/2005 10:06:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
spunkovision@xxxxxxxxx writes:

If you  live in the US, go to salescircular.com FIRST before spending a
dime on any  computer hardware. Stay away from zip drives.

Awesome site Mike! I'd never heard of it till now. Since I just visited
there, now I have a question, what's a 5 port 10/100 switch? Thanks in
advance!

Any intrusive unwanted visitors on your PC?
http://grc.com/optout.htm
http://www.cexx.org/
GO NAPSTER
1 MILLION songs. Military discount. $14.95 a month. Dump iTune$.
MCH - http://shorterlink.com/?PBFUJ5

Message: 6
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 19:55:17 -0000
   From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Thunderbird connectivity ?

How do I get Thunderbird to connect to the internet to retrieve
messages?  When I click on my Mailwasher or Outlook Express they
connect to the internet.  Bobby

Message: 7
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:56:01 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: signature in Thunderbird

SpunkySparky; all;
Thanks to Seantific (our own spunkysparky,) for letting me know how to
create a saved folder in Thunderbird. I was sure that if there wasn't a
default saved folder there, it would probably be very easy to do. As I
am sure adding a signature to my Thunderbird email will be-when someone
reminds me how to do it.
Bill

Message: 8
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 22:12:32 -0000
   From: "BOBBY" <bcrook@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: signature in Thunderbird

Hi Bill,
    Go to tools/ account settings.  Near the bottom of this window is a
checkbox :"Attach my signature".  Type in the desired signature in the
box below this checkbox and check it/ OK.  Bobby

In mycomputerheadaches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxx>
wrote:
> SpunkySparky; all;
> Thanks to Seantific (our own spunkysparky,) for letting me know how
> create a saved folder in Thunderbird. I was sure that if there wasn't
> default saved folder there, it would probably be very easy to do. As
> am sure adding a signature to my Thunderbird email will be-when
someone
> reminds me how to do it.
> Bill

Message: 9
   Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 17:28:36 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Backing Up

Thanks Mike:

The USB Driver site did not list Western Digital.
Like most  periphrals, there are probably compatible
drivers from other makers, but couldn't find anyway to
ask for help.

Will try--again-- the build your own boot disk
instructions.  Maybe I'm smarter now.

Thanks, Estavi
--- Mike <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Estavi,
> you can get DOS USB drivers here
>
> http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm
> http://www.usb-drivers.com/
>
> I hope this helps
>
> Mike ~ one of the Moderators
> It is a good day if I learned something new.
> Editor MikesWhatsNews http://www.mwn.ca/
>
> ******* Mike's  REPLY SEPARATOR *********
>
> On 5/1/2005 at 6:24 PM Estavi Meilu wrote:
>
> Hi Paul:
>
> Drive Image usually requires the computer to restart
> in DOS mode.  Did you have any trouble accessing the
> external USB drive during this operation?
>
> In my case, my Western Digital USB drivers only work
> under Windows--i.e., don't operate in DOS.  Did you
> solve this problem?  If your usb drivers work under
> DOS, can you give me their names and where I can get
> them to try out?
>
> thanks,  estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 10
   Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 02:53:23 -0000
   From: "Paul Ross" <przxto99@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Internal USB Port?

I Installed a 5 port hi-speed USB 2.0  PCI card today. One of the 5
ports is internal, but I have no idea what it can be used for. I
would
like to swap out my internal CDROM drive for a CD-RW, but haven't
seen
those available in USB format. Is there another use for this internal
port?  Thank you for this great resource. Paul

Message: 11
   Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 20:16:01 -0700
   From: "Mike" <mikebike@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Internal USB Port?

Hi Paul,
I used the internal port to plug in my front panel dashboard, which puts
USB2 port on the front of my old computer.

On 5/3/2005 at 2:53 AM Paul Ross wrote:

I Installed a 5 port hi-speed USB 2.0  PCI card today. One of the 5
ports is internal, but I have no idea what it can be used for. I
would
like to swap out my internal CDROM drive for a CD-RW, but haven't
seen
those available in USB format. Is there another use for this internal
port?  Thank you for this great resource. Paul

Message: 12
   Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:24:52 -0700 (PDT)
   From: Estavi Meilu <estavi2@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Blocked IP

What has happened and what do I need to do?

In order to d/l a trial copy of a program, I had to
give them one of my other email addresses in order to
be emailed a d/l address.

When I entered my yahoo address, an error message came
up  that said only "Your IP is blocked".

What does this mean or who is blocking it?  Obviously
I am not blocked by Yahoo (I am still getting spam
there).  Or is it the site I tried to send the  email
address (******@yahoo.com) to?

Is this one of those "blacklisted" things?

Estavi

http://mail.yahoo.com

Message: 13
   Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 04:44:16 -0500
   From: Bill Vollmer <agent222@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: signature in Thunderbird

BOBBY wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>     Go to tools/ account settings.  Near the bottom of this window is a
> checkbox :"Attach my signature".  Type in the desired signature in the
> box below this checkbox and check it/ OK.  Bobby
>

> Bobby;

I found the box you were talking about in tools>account settings. I knew
that it would very easy to do, once somebody showed me the way to do it
thanks.

Message: 14
   Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 08:32:30 -0400
   From: "Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker"
<CHRIS-JO-ANN-SPILKER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul,

     I have installed many of the same cards. To the best of my
knowledge, the internally mounted port is not meant for internal
USB devices {would defeat the intended purpose of USB?}. It is
meant to EXTEND the USB functionality to the FRONT of the
computer case, via a specially mounted USB bracket, for easier
USB access {front versus rear}. Trouble is, most computers being
retrofitted with USB this way do not have the requisite opening
for mounting this front bracket. In this case, bravado,
ingenuity, determination and a hacksaw are required.  :-)

     Hope this helps.

Regards,
Christopher J. Spilker
mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I Installed a 5 port hi-speed USB 2.0  PCI card today. One of the
5 ports is internal, but I have no idea what it can be used for.
I would like to swap out my internal CDROM drive for a CD-RW, but
haven't seen those available in USB format. Is there another use
for this internal port?  Thank you for this great resource. Paul

See the self help page here
//www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=mch