[math4wisdom] Re: What questions could we investigate together?

  • From: Jon Brett <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: math4wisdom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2023 17:21:33 +1300

Catching up with my reading...

On 6/03/2023 6:10 am, kirby urner wrote:

On Sat, Mar 4, 2023 at 1:18 PM Andrius Kulikauskas <math4wisdom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    I think that a major reason why Kirby, Jon and I are able to make
    real progress in our letters is that we are able to relate to real
    life activity, such as the videos we are creating, so that we are
    not just talking together but also working together.  So I think
    this is a key dimension of "atomic learning exercises" that we
    might design and conduct together. It is one thing to learn on
    one's own, accidentally, and another to do so willfully and even
    systematically, and yet another to do that together with others,
    for shared learning and shared understanding, which is what I
    aspire with "learning exercises".

Agreed. I have always said learning is a whole body experience and it is different for every individual. I am a highly visual learner, and essentially create mental images for most things I understand. I am also a highly kinaesthetic learner and by that I mean I like to walk-through ideas in sequence as if in real life space and time. That is how I handle even very abstract concepts. So the jump to mathematical equations is a struggle for me unless I immediately see how they relate to space-time.

    Meanwhile, it means a lot to try to convey to you these frameworks
    so they would become real for you.

Andrius, I love how you try to visualise everything. However, I am not familiar with mathematical symbols and nomenclature so sometimes you jump too far for me to follow.

    I have made an initial video about that, "Surface Structure vs.
    Deep Structure"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_xJ_ph0cwM
    which received 600 views in the first 3 days and so this series
    may generate interest.

Interesting that after reading your email, then the presentation, it finally made sense when I watched your video.

    The word "context" is just a label. But these examples are real.

Your examples are real in specific contexts. For example the solution to creating an equilateral triangle, could be a kinaesthetic one of cutting three equal length sticks. Or a 2D version of pencil and paper with a ruler and just guessing a third point, then measuring the distances to A and B, then adjusting your guess. Perfectly valid, "real" solution. In your video a drawing compass was used for one solution (plus the upside down second solution), then you changed the context again to go beyond the 2D paper and consider the 3D and multidimensional possibilities.

Then you went to "/Deep Structure/" using symbols to represent abstract concepts of logic. Nice transition! It finally made sense that each of the real contexts could be explained by the single Deep Structure. You call this the "/absolute truth/". I am fine with that, although for me, your Deep Structure symbols are the context for describing an aspect of the Implicate Order. The real examples are the Implicate Order unfolded into the Explicate Order that we experience for real within limited space-time contexts. A subtle semantic difference that probably doesn't matter.

    I earned a BA in Physics and a PhD in Philosophy as part of that
    quest, not instead of it.

Wow, and it took me 5 years to complete a BSc in Cell Biology & Biochemistry which I have never used.

    Absolute truth means that I am not interested in "a truth" but
    rather "the truth".  My deepest value is "living by truth" and so
    my relationship with truth has to be pragmatic and tentative. But
    it is not intended as a personal truth, it is intended as a
    universal truth.

Absolute truth in the context of this Universe we live in. There may be others (even if it turns out there is only one God).

By the way, I am a Possibilian. https://possibilian.com/

    Jon writes about a "system" and a perspective upon a system.

A real "structural system" that you can experience in space-time must have an inside and an outside - like a tetrahedron (4 sides).
A square is an abstract 2 dimensional concept that can be experienced on a sheet of paper (6 sides; top, bottom plus four thin sides).
Therefore, in the context of space-time, a 4 sided tetrahedron is simpler than a 6 sided square.

    Jon refers to physics as if it was real

Physics is a different kind of adventure. It conceptualises the behaviour and structure of the Universe at scales that are beyond our direct experience.

    I keep wide open the possibility that the Emergently framework is real

Emergently is a thinking tool based on using metaphor to distract the brain from linear cause and effect thinking. The framework is a way of visualising the brainstorming process, and the structure also is a metaphor for regenerative development or synergy, where 1 + 1 = 4, requiring the context of diversity and interdependence.

It is not suitable for /complicated /situations that can be understood. It is best used for /complex /situations that are subject to Nature and human Nature and never completely predictable. For example, you might use it to consider how your teachings could reach a wider audience. The process won't solve the problem, but interesting actions might emerge that you would not normally have thought of - especially if you have a diverse group of people doing the process together.

Cheers, J:-)
Jon Brett
http://emergently.net