[macvoiceover] Re: VoiceOver restarting

  • From: Ian Edwards <ianedwards42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 11:48:40 -0700

I have a Macbook Air with Lion, and I've had this problem since I got it back
in August. I spent hours on the phone with Apple support and isolated my
problem to the headphone jack of all things. I don't think the headphone jack
itself was the problem but it triggered the problem.

If I put my Mac into sleep with the headphones out and brought it out of sleep
after plugging them in, VoiceOver would lose speech. Same thing other way
around. Same thing could happen if I pulled the headphones or inserted them
while VoiceOver was speaking.

Lately I noticed it happening with a program that voices through  Apple's
system voice rather than VoiceOver. It happens to be the chromatic tuner app
recently mentioned on list, and it speaks with the system voice as you tune.
When I exit that app I frequently have the dead VoiceOver voice problem.

And yup, Keying Voiceover on and off 4 times is the only way to bring the voice
back. VoiceOver is actually still running and controlling the computer, it is
just the speech that is off.

When we were diagnosing the problem the tech had me set up and try a new user
account, and we couldn't replicate the problem. Because I had it narrowed down
to where I could make it happen any time I wanted, we were fairly confident
that killing my user account and and operating with a new one would solve the
problem. He sent me the link to the instructions in the knowledge base. And now
you're asking if it worked. Unfortunately I've been too busy/lazy to make the
time to do the switch. I'll get around to it now that I know it's not just me.

The tech and the engineering people that were helping him said they had never
ever heard of anything like this. I'd say everybody who is having the problem
should let Apple know, especially if you can document what was happening when
the problem occurred. Apple markets VoiceOver as a stable part of the operating
system, so they should know if there is a problem like this and fix it.

Sorry for the long-winded response, thought others might benefit from the hours
I spent with the Apple support folks.

Ian