[macvoiceover] Re: Text input with VoiceOver

  • From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:33:48 -0400

the other method works like this, if you are moving to the right, vo reads the
character you have just passed and positions its self between that and the
character to the right of it.  if you are moving to the left, vo reads the
character you pass over and the cursor is positioned between that character and
the one to its left.  Over all, I find this to be much more efficient and I
come from many years of stumbling through windows.

On Jun 13, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Kaja, Kiran wrote:

Thanks for pointing out the setting in the VO preferences. I selected the
option to read the character to the right of the cursor. This is working well
for me till I figure out how the other method is supposed to work.

Regards,
Kiran

On 13 Jun 2010, at 18:42, Sarah Alawami wrote:

        I call it the curse of the cursers. the curser speaks what it is about
to step on rather then what's in front of it. I do use both methods on the  mac
and this can be configured in vo prefs accessed through vo f8.

        As to interaction I type and then interact to see if what I typed is 99
percent accurate. lol.

        I hope this helps.
        On Jun 13, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Kaja, Kiran wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > I am trying to figure out the best way to input text when using
        > Voiceover. I am new to Mac OS X.
        >
        > Taking the example of composing a new message in the Mail app, should
        > start interacting with the text area before I start typing? I notice
        > that text input works when interacting or otherwise. My biggest
problem
        > right now is when trying to review what I type in. if I move left or
        > right with the arrow keys, I am not absolutely sure what character is
        > under the curser. Sometimes, a character is repeated twice when
moving.
        > And then, I am not sure if the delete key will delete the character to
        > the right or the left of the cursor.
        >
        > In short, it is not a very pleasant experience when entering text. I
        > read through the "Working with text" chapter in the VoiceOver guide
but
        > it doesn't talk much about input.
        >
        > Any information is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Kiran Kaja
        > Digital Accessibility Development Officer
        > Royal National Institute of Blind People
        > 105 Judd Street, London WC1h 9NE
        > Telephone (Direct): +44 (0) 207 391 2044
        > Mobile: +44 (0) 7508 23 73 80
        > Email: kiran.kaja@xxxxxxxxxxx
        > www.rnib.org.uk
        >
        > Announcing Techshare Mobile 2010, Technology on the Move! Get up to
date
        > with developments in the world of mobile devices and accessible
        > solutions. Organised by RNIB and Techshare partners and  sponsored by
        > Vodafone and Research in Motion (RIM), this exciting one day event
will
        > be held on 15 June 2010 at the ICC, Birmingham.
        > http://www.rnib.org.uk/techshare
        >

        > --
        > DISCLAIMER:

        > confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
        > recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the
        > content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the
        > sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it
        > and any attachments from your system.
        >
        > RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
        > its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
        > cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
        >
        > Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
        > any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
        > those of RNIB.
        >
        > RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
        >
        > Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk <http://www.rnib.org.uk/>
        >

        > This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security
-
        > http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx

        >> http://www.icanworkthisthing.com <http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>
        >>
        >> Manage your subscription by using the web interface on the link

         To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx