[macvoiceover] Re: Text input with VoiceOver

  • From: "Kaja, Kiran" <Kiran.Kaja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 20:28:15 +0100

Thanks for pointing out the setting in the VO preferences. I selected the
option to read the character to the right of the cursor. This is working well
for me till I figure out how the other method is supposed to work.

Regards,
Kiran

On 13 Jun 2010, at 18:42, Sarah Alawami wrote:

        I call it the curse of the cursers. the curser speaks what it is about
to step on rather then what's in front of it. I do use both methods on the  mac
and this can be configured in vo prefs accessed through vo f8.

        As to interaction I type and then interact to see if what I typed is 99
percent accurate. lol.

        I hope this helps.
        On Jun 13, 2010, at 3:49 AM, Kaja, Kiran wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > I am trying to figure out the best way to input text when using
        > Voiceover. I am new to Mac OS X.
        >
        > Taking the example of composing a new message in the Mail app, should
        > start interacting with the text area before I start typing? I notice
        > that text input works when interacting or otherwise. My biggest
problem
        > right now is when trying to review what I type in. if I move left or
        > right with the arrow keys, I am not absolutely sure what character is
        > under the curser. Sometimes, a character is repeated twice when
moving.
        > And then, I am not sure if the delete key will delete the character to
        > the right or the left of the cursor.
        >
        > In short, it is not a very pleasant experience when entering text. I
        > read through the "Working with text" chapter in the VoiceOver guide
but
        > it doesn't talk much about input.
        >
        > Any information is greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Kiran Kaja
        > Digital Accessibility Development Officer
        > Royal National Institute of Blind People
        > 105 Judd Street, London WC1h 9NE
        > Telephone (Direct): +44 (0) 207 391 2044
        > Mobile: +44 (0) 7508 23 73 80
        > Email: kiran.kaja@xxxxxxxxxxx
        > www.rnib.org.uk
        >
        > Announcing Techshare Mobile 2010, Technology on the Move! Get up to
date
        > with developments in the world of mobile devices and accessible
        > solutions. Organised by RNIB and Techshare partners and  sponsored by
        > Vodafone and Research in Motion (RIM), this exciting one day event
will
        > be held on 15 June 2010 at the ICC, Birmingham.
        > http://www.rnib.org.uk/techshare
        >

        > --
        > DISCLAIMER:

        > confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
        > recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the
        > content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the
        > sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it
        > and any attachments from your system.
        >
        > RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
        > its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
        > cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
        >
        > Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
        > any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily
represent
        > those of RNIB.
        >
        > RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
        >
        > Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk <http://www.rnib.org.uk/>
        >

        > This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security
-
        > http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx

        >> http://www.icanworkthisthing.com <http://www.icanworkthisthing.com/>

> [...]

         To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx