[macvoiceover] Re: Teaching the use of the Mac to Computer newcomers

  • From: Norbert Müller <apple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 21:58:30 +0200

Hi everyone,

I guess I must go into more detail, so you understand the reasoning of my
colleagues. I did not want to do it in the list, but since I got replies here,
I will give it a try.

My personal feeling is that a total newcomer would indeed quickly learn to use
the Mac. There are already German voices available, which you have to download
separately. And they have the best artificial speech quality I have heard so
far. Also, they respond more quickly than the SAPI 5 voices available for JAWS.
So that's a big plus for a newcomer already.

However: When we start teaching JAWS, we can let people go quite a way without
having to know any JAWS commands: The press the Windows Key and are in the
start Menue. They can select programs, we can teach them to start a program, we
can direct them to a file and have them read that file with just the cursor
keys.

If we would try to do the same on the Mac, we would rather quickly come to the
point where we have to explain to them the concept of interacting with an
object.

On the other hand - that is the argument I bring into the discussion - Once you
understand that concept and know only seven VO commands, you can get very far
on an Apple computer: Thats the combinations for starting and ending
interaction, vo+spacebar and vo+cursor keys in their four directions.

But that's all our thinking. I am looking for someone who has actually tried it
with a total newcomer or - even better - who has experience with teaching
newcomers under Windows and Snow Leopard. Is there such a person?

Best greetings again,

Norbert