[macvoiceover] Re: Really need help with VMWare Fusion and Windows on a Mac Mini.

  • From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak7737@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:30:50 -0500

Ok, here are things to check.

First of all, my installation has been known to take longer than half an hour; I'd leave it for an hour to be safe.

Second, you don't say whether you logged in with your password before trying to install vmware tools. What I do is leave the cd in when I think it's done and do cmd-g to direct input inside the virtual machine and type my password and hit enter. If it's installed and your sound is working, you should hear the xp startup music. then I go into the menus and do "install vmware tools" or "up[date vmware tools" whichever it says. You'll get a dialog to confirm you want to do that and later if you go back that same menu item says "cancel vmware tols installation" but it never changes. Just leave it for a few minutes and then restart with cmd-u r (cmd is the windows key).

Third, before trying to get narrator up or even before trying to type your password and start, did you use vokeys and check whether sound is connected and whether whatever speakers you are using are connected?

Sorry, I'm not getting this in order, but I thought the virtual machine could only do 20GB; your post says you are changing it to 100gb.

Also, how much memory do you have; do you have a gb of memory to give and still have enough for macosx.

Those are the things I can think of offhand. Also, Narrator has this annoying dialog the first time it starts up so if you have a talking install cd for jaws or windoweyes I'd just put that in, but I'd do that after starting so you know you can hear the startup music and your sound is working, and I'd do it after the vmware tools install and restart, when you should again hear the startup music but remember you'll have to give it a minute or two for the restart and then enter your password if you have one; it won't start up without your password.

If you don't think you've installed correctly, I'd just remove the whole Virtual Machines directory from you Documents directory if you don't have any other virtual machines there and start over.

It really does work well once you get it going; I had a little trouble the first time but I reinstalled recently and it went much more smoothly.

--

Cheryl

"Where your treasure is,
there will your heart be also."