[macvoiceover] Re: Really need help with VMWare Fusion and Windows on a Mac Mini.

  • From: vashaun jones <vashaun.jones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:08:41 -0400

Press command plus G to bring focus to Windows and then try it. Also check your sound options in Fusion.

On Apr 21, 2008, at 7:59 PM, David Truong wrote:

HI Guys,

For the last couple of days, I've been trying to install Windows using the latest version of VmWare Fusion on my Intel based Mac Mini following the instructions provided by Gordon Smith in his main menu presentation. No
matter what I do, I don't seem to be able to get speech in Windows via
Narrator. In fact I am not even sure if Windows has installed properly as Fusion does not indicate this and I am unable to install the VMWare tools. How can I go about fixing this or should I just give up and try boot camp as David suggested earlier. I mean Boot Camp does seem more straight forward than Fusion. But since fusion seems to be more secure and plus since I've
purchased it, I'd really like to get fusion to work for me.

This is how I've tried to install Windows using VmWare Fusion.

1. Started up VmWare Fusion and then VO+space to click new Virtual machine.
2.  Vo+space again on the continue button - bypassing the intro blurb.
3. Vo+Space again to click continue button as my operating system which is
Windows XP Pro is chosen.
4. Vo+Space to click continue button as I'm happy with the name an location
of the Virtual machine file.
5. I interact with the edit field which allows one to change size of drive and change it to 100GB and then I bypass advance disk options and click the
continue button with VO+Space.
6. I leave the "use easy install" checkbox checked, I then tab to username edit field and fill that out along with password and product id key. I leave the "Make your home folder available to the virtual machine" checkbox checked and Vo+space on the popup button which allows one to change the attributes and change them to read and write. Then I click continue button
with Vo+Space.
7. I uncheck the checkbox that reads "Start virtual machine and install operating system now" as I want to change memory and network settings. I leave the radio button that says "Use operating system installation disk".
Then I click the finish button with Vo+Space.
8. I make my desired changes putting memory to 1gb, network to connect directly to physical adapter bridge and then I click apply after both of those changes and then I click ok and shut down the guest virtual machine. 9. I start up the newly created virtual machine after of course putting in
my legal copy of Windows XP Pro installation CD.
10.  My Windows XP Pro installation CD starts going as you can hear it
grinding away, I leave it going and monitor and after about 30 minutes when
I'm sure it has stopped as VmWare does not tell you the progress of
installation, I toggle to full screen and click with mouse inside the screen although who knows if I've actually done it as there is no speech and I've tried it with keyboard mouse and real physical mouse, then I press Command+u for narrator no go, press option+u no go, let's try control+u no go narrator
just doesn't come up.

Ah well, if there is something I've missed, I'd love to hear it. I've even mucked around with different network settings and memory settings and even
let it install with defaults etc.  But no go.  No windows or speech or
anything.  Thanks for any help on the above,

David Truong

EMail and Messenger:
davidtruong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Skype:  blindboxer1967