[macvoiceover] Re: Macbooks and numeric keypads

  • From: Ray Foret jr <rforetjr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: macvoiceover@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 16:27:22 -0600

Back when I was a windows user, I had an Acer lap top which did not have a
number key pad.  When I bought this brand new Mac book Pro, I knew I'd be using
the numpad commander; so, I had the dealer order me a Mac compatible USB number
key pad.  I turned on my Mac and then plugged in the key pad only to discover
that it could not be recognized.  Then, I turned everything off and
disconnected the keypad.  Then, I reconnected the keypad still with the Mac
off.  when I turned it on, the number keypad was recognized right away.  You do
have another option just in case you don't want to bother with a number keypad.
 It's called quick nav.  It's meant to make things easier when you're using a
Mac Book Pro; and, in some respects, it does.  However, you must remember to
turn quick nav off when you need to use the arrow keys after you've indicated
that you need to interact with text.  To stop interacting with text, or what
ever, you need to turn quick nav back on then indicate to stop interacting.
        Just in case you're wondering, it's very easy.  Turn quick nav on or
off by pressing the left and right arrow keys together.  To interact, (assuming
quick nav is on), press the down and right arrows together.  To stop
interacting, press the down and left arrows together.  To perform an action on
an item, (this would be the same as using VO+space bar), press the up and down
arrows together.  IF you're in text, or not online on a web site, and you press
up arrow and left or right together, you cycle through a roter control.  IF
you're on a web site, this roter cycles you through the same items to be found
in the web item roter to which you can get by pressing vo+u.  HTH.

Sincerely,
The Constantly BAREFOOTED Ray!!!

Now a Mac User!!!

Phone:
+1 (985) 360-3614

E-mail:
rforetjr at comcast dot net

Skype Name:
barefootedray

On Dec 7, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Phil Stephenson wrote:

Hi All,

Picking up on another thread from someone asking about using a Mac Mini and
types of keyboards, I am close to purchasing a macbook (or if I'm lucky Macbook
pro!).  I'm presuming there isn't a numeric keypad on these units and therefore
wondering if this makes my learning curve as a Windows user used to Jaws etc
steeper - although having said that I've never really mastered the laptop
keystrokes for replicating Jaws numeric keypad options on a laptop keyboard.

Anyway as ever al comments gratefully received,

Cheers,

Phil

database 4668 (20091207) __________

http://www.eset.com