[mac4theblind] Re: New to MAC!

  • From: David Hilbert Poehlman <poehlman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 14:02:12 -0500

Hi Keith,

Congrats on the new mac and welcome aboard for an exciting journey.

Press command comma or fn command comma ( see info later on this),to go to
finder preferences from the desktop where the hard drive icon is missing from.
check the hard discs icon by tabbing to it and hitting the space bar much like
you would do in windows.  when you'v finished this, press command-w or
fn-command-w if you haven't set up your function keys as hardware keys.
Another way to access applications is to enter the applications folder with
command-a.  We've got a number of these shortcuts.
When you open a folder for instance, command-a to open the applications folder,
you can view it in three ways and there are three keystrokes to do this.
command-1 will show you the icons for the folders, this is a neat way to
interact with the applications.  Command-2 will give you a list with all the
details of eah app and folder.  when you come to a folder while arrowing
through this view, you can right arrow to expand it and lef tarrow to collapse
it.

command 3 gives you the column view which is similar to icon view except that
it allows you to expand and collaps folders the same way that list view does.

If you want to set your function keys as hardware function keys, go to system
preferences, you'll find this under the apple menu and there are a couple of
ways to get there.  if you press control-f2 or controll-fn-f2 down arrow to
system preferences and press enter, tab to keyboard, press space, these items
are buttons.  in keyboard, you should be focused on the keyboard tab and you
will want to check the box with the long name that contains function keys.
press command-q to quit system preferences.  from here on you can use the
function keys without fn.

On Dec 7, 2011, at 12:17 AM, Keith Christian wrote:

I just purchased my Mac Book Pro.  A friend helped me get started and
removed the hard drive icon off the desktop.  Any idea of how I put it back?
Is this a very common way to access apps like mail and Pages?  Or do you
find it easier to move to the Doc and launch it from there?  I can't figure
out how to even get to the doc right now.  But Command Space launches the
spot light and I can type pages in there and get going on word processing.
But that is about it for me now.

Is it easy to make aliases?  Is that the right term for making short cuts to
applications?

I am feeling frustrated and overwhelmed.  That is how most people that I
talk to feel when they start with Windows and here I am *smile*.

Appreciate any tips or support.

Keith

with his
Hands-On Technolog(eye)s