Re: FYI: No JIT on Windows 8 for ARM

  • From: Mike Pall <mike-1205@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 14:31:31 +0200

Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> I understand that the reason behind no-JIT is to not let you
> execute the code that wasn't originally in your app when it was
> in the review. Also it solves partially virus threat, especially
> when your OS has known & unknown security holes.

Yeah, right. But guess which application _does_ get the JIT
privilege. It should be super reliable and have a flawless track
record when it comes to security issues, no? Umm, it's called
Internet Explorer. Oops ...

> But for sake, JIT is now used almost everywhere, so dropping it
> is like getting back to 90ties!

Also, game consoles did lock out JIT compilers before. Did that
prevent their systems from getting hacked or the games copied?
Don't think so ... there are much easier holes to exploit.