Re: FYI: No JIT on Windows 8 for ARM

  • From: Adam Strzelecki <ono@xxxxxxx>
  • To: luajit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:01:18 +0200

Many thanks for the information.

> But you can see where this is heading ...

I can only presume that in OSX 10.9 (no "Mac" suffix anymore) and Windows 9, we
can expect only validated & sandboxed apps, no JIT, no third-party
distribution. They will say it is for user's safety, but in fact it is all
about money.

The company A has set this "security" standard, now the others follow. I
partially do agree with sandboxing, as I wouldn't like any new app that I
install accesses all my (private) information, unless when I allow it to. But
simply disabling JIT (page execution) is an indication that they have no clear
idea how to deal with that one. Disable it and the problem is gone.

I understand that the reason behind no-JIT is to not let you execute the code
that wasn't originally in your app when it was in the review. Also it solves
partially virus threat, especially when your OS has known & unknown security
holes.

But for sake, JIT is now used almost everywhere, so dropping it is like getting
back to 90ties!

Cheers,
--
Adam Strzelecki | nanoant.com | twitter.com/nanoant