[louisianaleps] Orange-barred Sulphurs and White Peacocks

  • From: Dave Patton <davepatton122@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LA Leps <louisianaleps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 07:41:53 -0600

Lalep,
Thanks to all that replied to my request for info on O-b Sulphurs. I
learned that they occur naturally and have also been released by several
people in both Baton Rouge and New Orleans over the past few years. They
use several varieties of senna and cassia found in urban gardens and a
sustaining population seems to be in place. I severe winter would test this
population.
 Another question and I promise the last for a while. This has been a good
year for White Peacocks in New Orleans as well. Perhaps I am again unaware
of there status relying mainly on field guides. I am wondering if this is
another species that local butterfly enthusiasts have raised and released
in New Orleans?
When visiting my son in Orlando this summer, they were everywhere we went.
I was thinking this may have been a really good year for them in their
published ranges as well.

Thanks,
Dave Patton