[louisianaleps] Re: Caddo Parish Butterflies

  • From: Christy Francis <cbfmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jftrahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 16:29:49 -0500

Hi,
I have been enjoying the lists of butterflies you all are posting. I work
at Kiroli Park in West Monroe where I have expanded the butterfly,
perennial and herb gardens throughout the park so that there are a variety
of host and nectar plants to feed most of the butterflies that I see.

I have a wildflower area that I will be revamping soon too. I do not spray
insecticides unless it is a last resort and then I try to use more natural
killers that don't have a residual. Unfortunately the city sprays for
mosquitoes. We don't see as many butterflies then but hope there are enough
that survive and move on.

I have seen the following butterflies this year, most in the last few weeks
- Skipper, Hairstreak, Fritillary, Buckeye, Zebra Swallowtail, Giant
Swallowtail, Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, , several clear-wing moths, and at
least one of the sulphurs. I would have to get out a book to make sure of
which ones.

If there are any of you that live close to West Monroe - please consider
coming and verifying the species found in the park. I will post on Facebook
and give you all credit.

One reason I would like someone's help for ID is so that I can better
determine which host/nectar species to plant this fall/next spring. The
other is for education to the public, garden clubs, Master Gardeners and
school groups. I am also a Master Gardener and help with the demostration
garden behind the West Monroe Farmer's Market.

The Northeast Louisiana Master Gardeners are always looking for an
interesting speaker if anyone would be interested in talking to the club.
Meetings are on second Tuesday night of each month at 6:30.

Note that the Master Gardeners have a plant sale in the spring where
butterfly garden plants are one of the main features - in hopes that
everyone will consider planting appropriate habitat.

The phone number here at Kiroli Park is (318) 396-4016.

Thanks,
Christy

--
Christy Francis