[lit-ideas] Re: vicious budget cuts

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:39:28 +0900

Here it is assumed that big pharma and HMOs which contribute to the
president's party must enjoy increased profits. Thus, for example, the
Medicare bill passed into law last year includes an explicit provision
barring the program from negotiating bulk discounts for drugs.

John

On 1/31/06, Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  >>Infuriating, sickening, nauseating, terrible, etc.
>
> In health care spending, the United States is #1
> in the world by a wide margin. In quality of
> health care, the United States is ranked #5.
>
> Clearly it is the system itself which must be
> reformed. Throwing more money into the well isn't
> a viable long-term solution. Nor is balancing the
> red ink by letting the poor fend for themselves.
> Nor is letting uninsured clog emergency rooms.
>
> Part of it, I think, has to do with the US being a
> control society. We try to control and monitor
> everything, scrutinize every prescription, leash
> our citizens and lead them around like children.
> Doctor visits for this drug, no OTC for that drug,
> records and lists and restraints. Argg! Control
> Society!
>
> I was in a pharmacy in Brazil. No bright and fancy
> packaging, rather shelves of what looked like
> generic boxes of medicine. And most medicines were
> over-the-counter. You need something, you go get
> it, you use it, and life goes on. No doctor visits
> and signing stuff and retinal scans and
> fingerprinting. The Brazilians assumed you were an
> adult. Here they assume you are a child.

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku
Yokohama 220-0006, JAPAN