[lit-ideas] Re: uh......what's wrong with this picture??

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:53:21 -0800

Nor me.  And it's a shame.  The UAE, especial Dubai is more cosmopolitan and
pro-American than some places we could name; so I could easily see that this
watchdog agency could accept assurances and evidence that Dubai Port World
has no associations with terrorist organizations.  However, Islamists exert
so much force and influence in the Arab world that I can also imagine a
situation where a manager of Dubai Port World caves in to Islamist
intimidation and allows terrorists to carry out one of their plots.  Maybe
all of Dubai Port World is squeaky clean, but Islamists have access to Dubai
and what would a manager do if an Islamist group held the manager's family
hostage?

I know a lady who took a job teaching English to kids in Dubai.  It was a
contract deal - I forget the number of years she was there, perhaps 4 or 5.
She wrote that she never felt threatened in any way while living in Dubai.
That, of course, is anecdotal, but I'm inclined to accept her impression of
Dubai.  Nevertheless, I agree with Senator Schumer about the need to be
"very careful."

Lawrence

  _____