[lit-ideas] Re: speranza's affections

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2015 08:10:45 +0100

The *grice* was a type of swine
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_pig> found
in the Highlands and Islands
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highlands_and_Islands> of Scotland
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland>and in Ireland
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland>.[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-1>[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Culley-2> It became extinct
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction>, surviving longest in the Shetland
Isles <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Isles>, where it disappeared
in the late nineteenth century. It was also known as the*Highland*,
*Hebridean* or *Irish* pig.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Culley-2>[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Macdonald-3>

Contents  [hide <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#>]

   - 1 Etymology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#Etymology>
   - 2 History <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#History>
   - 3 See also <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#See_also>
   - 4 References <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#References>
   - 5 External links <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#External_links>

Etymology[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grice&action=edit&section=1>]

"Grice" is a Scots <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language> and northern
English <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_English> dialect word
originally meaning "young pig" (compare the Scandinavian
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Germanic_languages> *gris*, meaning
"pig").[4] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-4>
History[edit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Grice&action=edit&section=2>]

Accounts from the early 19th century suggest the grice was an aggressive
animal with small tusks <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tusk>, an arched
back, and a coat of stiff dark bristles over a fleece of wool.[3]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Macdonald-3> Highland
examples were described as "a small, thin-formed animal, with bristles
standing up from nose to tail...".[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Culley-2> Like other
livestock in these areas, the grice was small and hardy, able to survive
the harsh environmental conditions.[5]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-NewScientist2006-5> Highland
grice foraged for berries on moorland
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moorland>.[2]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Culley-2>

Most Shetland crofts <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crofts> would have at
least one grice kept on grazing lands, but they would often roam across
adjacent farmland, rooting up crops and occasionally killing and eating
newborn lambs. According to geologist Samuel Hibbert
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Hibbert-Ware>, who wrote an account of
the islands in 1822, although the grice was "small and scrawny", its meat
made "excellent hams" when cured. Islanders also made footballs from the
grice's bladders, and even windowpanes from their intestines, by stretching
the membrane over a wooden frame until it was sufficiently thin to allow
light to pass through. The animal's bristles were used as thread for sewing
leather and for making ropes. However, useful as the animals no doubt were,
neighbours were constantly grumbling about the behaviour of their
neighbour's grice, and the courts were empowered to confiscate particularly
troublesome pigs, and to impose "hefty fines" on their owners.[5]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-NewScientist2006-5>

In the nineteenth century, landowners discouraged the keeping of these
swine (one agricultural writer commented "it is voracious in the extreme,
and excessively difficult to confine in pasture or to fatten: it is also
destructive and mischievous, and therefore ought gradually to be extirpated"
[3] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-Macdonald-3>). This,
combined with the increasing import of other breeds from the Scottish
mainland, resulted in a dwindling grice population, and by the 1930s the
breed was extinct. The legacy of grice remains, however. The wild bulb
squill <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squill> is known locally as "grice's
onions" because it was a favourite food of the swine.[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-6>

In 2006 curators at the Shetland Museum and Archives
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_Museum_and_Archives> commissioned a
taxidermist <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxidermist> to re-create a grice
from the stuffed body of an immature wild boar
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boar>. As no one alive had seen a grice, the
accuracy of the model relied on descriptions in "published sources ...
investigated artefact and archaeological findings".[7]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-7> The model grice went on
public display in spring 2007.[8]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grice#cite_note-8>